Johns Hopkins 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
HopFan16

Re: Johns Hopkins 2021

Post by HopFan16 »

DocBarrister wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:41 pm
A few notes on Collison.

First, the big guy apparently can ride and play D. Go figure.

Second, while Collison looks like he has a diverse skill set, he is built like a classic dodging midfielder. Interesting “get” for a team that has reportedly committed itself to a motion offense.

Third, it’s ironic that Milliman’s first real recruit is a “classic” Pietramala-style middie.

Collison looks like a terrific recruit. Now, if I can only stop autocorrect from constantly changing his name to “Collision”. :roll:

DocBarrister 8-)
You still need dodging midfielders in a box-style offense. The team doesn't just give up dodging completely. You need to be able to draw slides. In any case, it looks like he is more than capable of seeing the field, making solid passes, and finishing both from range and in tight.

Also don't really agree that Collison is a "classic Pietramala-style middie." Yes, downhill north-south dodging appears to be one of his many abilities but he also comes from an obvious box lacrosse background—you can see it just in the way he protects his stick. Half the dodges in that highlight video are not coming from up top, but instead from the wing or even GLE. He reminds me more of guys like Jesse King (OSU) or Tanner Cook (UNC), both of whom have destroyed us at one point or another in the last decade. Should be nice having a player like that on our side for once.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

HopFan16 wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:16 am
A few notes on Collison.

Second, while Collison looks like he has a diverse skill set, he is built like a classic dodging midfielder. Interesting “get” for a team that has reportedly committed itself to a motion offense.

Third, it’s ironic that Milliman’s first real recruit is a “classic” Pietramala-style middie.

Collison looks like a terrific recruit. Now, if I can only stop autocorrect from constantly changing his name to “Collision”. :roll:

DocBarrister 8-)
You still need dodging midfielders in a box-style offense. The team doesn't just give up dodging completely. You need to be able to draw slides. In any case, it looks like he is more than capable of seeing the field, making solid passes, and finishing both from range and in tight.

Also don't really agree that Collison is a "classic Pietramala-style middie." Yes, downhill north-south dodging appears to be one of his many abilities but he also comes from an obvious box lacrosse background—you can see it just in the way he protects his stick. Half the dodges in that highlight video are not coming from up top, but instead from the wing or even GLE. He reminds me more of guys like Jesse King (OSU) or Tanner Cook (UNC), both of whom have destroyed us at one point or another in the last decade. Should be nice having a player like that on our side for once.
I originally said Cloutier and while I do see it, Cook is a much better comparison
Hail to the Victors

Post by Hail to the Victors »

Was anyone guarding him even 5'10"? OK, now we know he can go through three small defenders. And he can hit the wide open shot against no D.

Collison may turn out to be a great player, but we've seen "highlights" like these many many times in the past.
NOVALax2015

Post by NOVALax2015 »

Hail to the Victors wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:18 pm Was anyone guarding him even 5'10"? OK, now we know he can go through three small defenders. And he can hit the wide open shot against no D.

Collison may turn out to be a great player, but we've seen "highlights" like these many many times in the past.
Same thing jumped out at me. He looked to be several inches taller and 40-50 lbs heavier than the defenders. He might very well be the real deal (stick and shot both look good), but the tournament highlights don't do a lot for me.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

HopFan16 wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:16 am
A few notes on Collison.

DocBarrister 8-)

Very good points!

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

Hail to the Victors wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:18 pm Was anyone guarding him even 5'10"? OK, now we know he can go through three small defenders. And he can hit the wide open shot against no D.

Not too many HS freshmen/ sophomores can match up with a kid that is 6'4" 215! That said, stick skills are there and you can't teach size.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:56 am
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:06 am A8A381B9-14A8-4F8D-9701-0A8E92069F18.jpeg
I bought a t shirt with this on it a few years back after you posted it on LP. Still have it...
You should wear it to family reunions.

If anyone asks, just say it’s the secret life of pandas when they are not on webcams.

BTW, a new cub was born at the National Zoo a week or so ago. Cool story. No folding chairs involved. Yet.

Still want that Ty vs. 16 cage match.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

I’ll tell them I studied it as a relative of Jane Goodall.

Thought about wearing it to the zoo (we have a solid one down here though smaller than DC and some others I take my kids to-my son once asked if pandas give each other the Peoples Elbow or Stone Cold Stunners and hes 8)
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Morning everyone, i read via Xanders that Sunderland committed to UVA over the weekend. While it's unfortunate, does this mean its a possible sign that the new coaching staff won't be able to land 5 stars? Yes its only one big name so far off the board, but the staff has to at least be pursuing some of these big fish right
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

houndace1 wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:30 am Morning everyone, i read via Xanders that Sunderland committed to UVA over the weekend. While it's unfortunate, does this mean its a possible sign that the new coaching staff won't be able to land 5 stars? Yes its only one big name so far off the board, but the staff has to at least be pursuing some of these big fish right
Milliman helped land "5 stars" to Cornell. He'll be able to do the same here. They just got a "high 4 star" in Collison who could easily be a "5 star" depending on who you ask. They most likely will not get as many as Petro used to—but look where that got us (and him).

I've been trying to tell people for months Sunderland wasn't coming here. He is a phenomenal player—but he's going to be a pretty traditional X attackman in college, IMO. Somewhere on the Stanwick spectrum. And as several of you have pointed out, he seems close to the Pietramala family so once the big guy was let go the chances he committed here took a nosedive. I know that several top 10 programs gave him an offer. At least he isn't going to Maryland! Hopefully the Spallina kid doesn't either. Would not look forward to facing him twice a year.

Based on Milliman's '21 commits and the first '22 commit, it seems pretty clear they are focusing mostly on offensive players with box lacrosse backgrounds for the offense they want to run. There is a Native player from Quebec, now at a private school in NJ, whom no one is talking about right now for some reason (not one of IL's "starred" players), but who I really hope we're in the mix for. He's going to be a star. A reminder that there are a lot of good players out there.
viper

Post by viper »

houndace1 wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:30 am Morning everyone, i read via Xanders that Sunderland committed to UVA over the weekend. While it's unfortunate, does this mean its a possible sign that the new coaching staff won't be able to land 5 stars? Yes its only one big name so far off the board, but the staff has to at least be pursuing some of these big fish right
I think that there is definitely a different philosophy and style with the new coaches that fans will need to be patient with. Having said that, getting top ranked recruiting classes over the last several years didn't translate into wins during the season.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

9th in us news today tied w/cal tech. We've elevated from brody era bottom ivies/washus-do people outside the midwest even know what that school is?, to mid ivies. I don't know what's driving it, certainly not the lacrosse program, but they're doing something right.

Stanford has somehow gone from new yorkers the harvard of the west 10 years ago to mid of top 10.

Rosemont seems to be getting its act together and looks like they may have college football going soon. It's not to going to change maryland lacrosse, but playing some games should save some budget $ at some of those programs. It's hard to see them having a successful football season and not oking lacrosse in the spring and if maryland is playing lacrosse, there's no way we can't.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

Re Spallina:

And then there were 6! Mt Sinai lax stud @SpallinaJoey is down to his final 6 schools after a ridiculous 30 offers. But hey - he is the number 1 junior recruit in the country! It’s between UVA, UNC, Loyola, SBU, Syracuse and Maryland. @News12LI @Inside_Lacrosse @team91lacrosse
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

jhu06 wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:24 am 9th in us news today tied w/cal tech. We've elevated from brody era bottom ivies/washus-do people outside the midwest even know what that school is?, to mid ivies. I don't know what's driving it, certainly not the lacrosse program, but they're doing something right.

Stanford has somehow gone from new yorkers the harvard of the west 10 years ago to mid of top 10.

Rosemont seems to be getting its act together and looks like they may have college football going soon. It's not to going to change maryland lacrosse, but playing some games should save some budget $ at some of those programs. It's hard to see them having a successful football season and not oking lacrosse in the spring and if maryland is playing lacrosse, there's no way we can't.
Most importantly, three slots ahead of Duke (#12). At least we’re beating Duke at something. :P ;)

Can only help with recruiting.

Hopkins also among the top schools for diversity and international students. Also good for recruiting.

https://hub.jhu.edu/2020/09/14/us-news- ... s-hopkins/

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

nyjay wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:02 am Re Spallina:

And then there were 6! Mt Sinai lax stud @SpallinaJoey is down to his final 6 schools after a ridiculous 30 offers. But hey - he is the number 1 junior recruit in the country! It’s between UVA, UNC, Loyola, SBU, Syracuse and Maryland. @News12LI @Inside_Lacrosse @team91lacrosse
My money is ACC, or SBU to play with his Dad.

Guessing (for pure speculation) in order for me would be:

1. UVA
2. UNC
3. Syracuse
4-5 split between SBU and Maryland

While i would LOVE to see him in green and grey - i frankly dont see Loyola outrecruiting these other schools

Edit: I'm also very very surprised that Hopkins did not make his final cut
Last edited by houndace1 on Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

viper wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:46 am
I think that there is definitely a different philosophy and style with the new coaches that fans will need to be patient with. Having said that, getting top ranked recruiting classes over the last several years didn't translate into wins during the season.
Over time I don't think Milliman will have a problem getting kids he wants to Homewood, but there's definitely going to be a "rip the band-aid off" aspect to the '22 class. Even though the NCAA changed the "official" contact date, these are kids (and parents) who have established relationships with schools/ coaches. Sunderland as a good example; a kid with longstanding ties to Petro (and therefore Hopkins). So we're going to unfortunately lose out on some kids like this, and its understandable. '23 class and beyond will be different, for them JHU= Milliman.

Sunderland seems like a good kid and I wish him well at UVa.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

In the context of JHU now being ranked in the US News top 10, ahead of Duke and several Ivies: even with admissions slots, some very good lacrosse players won't have the academic credentials to get into Hop; maybe some others won't want to study quite as much as would be expected of them. Milliman comes from an Ivy, so this isn't new territory for him.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Collison is a five star recruit,

Ty guy got his rankings wrong 8-)
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

houndace1 wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:25 am

1. UVA
2. UNC
3. Syracuse

While i would LOVE to see him in green and grey - i frankly dont see Loyola outrecruiting these other schools

Spallina would not be "playing with his dad" if he went to Stony Brook. His dad is the head coach of the nationally-ranked women's team at SBU. He would, however, be attending SBU for free, which is a better package than any of these other schools could offer him. SBU has had some studs play on Long Island over the years (Kevin Crowley and Tom Compitello come to mind). That would be awesome if he decided to be an all-timer there.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Henpecked wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:20 pm
houndace1 wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:25 am

1. UVA
2. UNC
3. Syracuse

Spallina would not be "playing with his dad" if he went to Stony Brook. His dad is the head coach of the nationally-ranked women's team at SBU. He would, however, be attending SBU for free, which is a better package than any of these other schools could offer him. SBU has had some studs play on Long Island over the years (Kevin Crowley and Tom Compitello come to mind). That would be awesome if he decided to be an all-timer there.
This was another edit i meant to make but forgot. thanks though!
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”