All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 70

a fan

Re: All things Chinese CoronaVirus

Post by a fan »

wgdsr wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:56 pm mask debate is picking up steam after it looked like it was on life support.

we may need to get a mask on the fires and embers out west to settle this.
:lol: Sigh. 2020 has just been a swell year for our country. Next up for debate in America: is water needed for living things?
old salt

Post by old salt »

a fan wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:24 pm
wgdsr wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:56 pm mask debate is picking up steam after it looked like it was on life support.

Next up for debate in America: is water needed for living things?
Nah, let it all drain into the Pacific. Save the delta smelt.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

:lol: Sigh. 2020 has just been a swell year for our country. Next up for debate in America: is water needed for living things?
putting a fine point on my position:
anyone that believes masks can be and are effective for our present state of circumstance might want to consider being as flummoxed as i am that the messaging everywhere isn't:
- "here's what constitutes an effective mask... and what may not."

sounds easy, but evidently not.
SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

wgdsr wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:46 pm

anyone that believes masks can be and are effective for our present state of circumstance might want to consider being as flummoxed as i am that the messaging everywhere isn't:

Well it sure wasn't hard. I googled "CDC mask guidelines", and this was the first link:
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nc ... rings.html

The problem isn't whether guidelines exist, it's that the president trying to get reelected is a selfish narcissist.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

wgdsr wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:58 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:15 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:41 am nope, the 'mistake' was that even Honolulu, much less Hawaii, had never imposed an outdoor mask mandate. The Mayor had proposed it, but it wasn't implemented. By the end of July, he turned to a focus on bars etc as cases began to rise.

So, where are you getting your "graphs", Petey?

PS, universal outdoor mask mandates aren't necessary.
Masks ARE necessary in crowded situations and indoor situations, indeed any instance where social distancing isn't feasible.
Masks outside are an overkill unless it’s a mass gathering with people in close proximity.
well, yeah. but the reality of daily life, the whole everything about what's gone down puts this all in the washing machine.

what happens when 5 people descend in your space and you don't have your mask on quick enough? the amount of regulatory rules and exceptions you'd need to put in place are enormous, even to follow the science. many/most don't make sense given what's allowed and what's not.

what should be in our best interests should be people doing what's in our best interests, and being informed. people and legislators included. sadly, that is just... not... the... case.
Not sure where I will be outside where a crowd of people will descend on me....maybe if I am wearing my MAGA hat and some back slappers and glad handers see me.....
“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

We don’t have enough truly “effective“ masks. What we have are enough “masks that are better than nothing”. Think of it as a poor goalie versus no goalie. You don’t need anyone to tell you any goalie is better than no goalie (not any player trying to play goalie, but a “goalie”).
“I wish you would!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:17 pm

We don’t have enough truly “effective“ masks. What we have are enough “masks that are better than nothing”. Think of it as a poor goalie versus no goalie. You don’t need anyone to tell you any goalie is better than no goalie (not any player trying to play goalie, but a “goalie”).
fwiw, not the science i've seen. even if we could science it precisely. great country, america, though.
our amateur opinions can be heard.

lax game to spectate for the first time in 6 mos!
holmes435

Post by holmes435 »

wgdsr wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:01 pm
fwiw, not the science i've seen. even if we could science it precisely. great country, america, though.

There are level 3 surgical masks in every drugstore and hardware store here where I live. They are available on Amazon with 3 day delivery for $0.74 per mask.

These have a ton of science behind them being more effective than not wearing anything.

You're probably talking about the fishing gaiters, which may break up larger exhaled droplets and could potentially disperse the virus more by keeping it in the air longer.

We have enough masks proven to help to go around nowadays. Whether people want to use them is another issue...
Typical Lax Dad

Science isn’t the problem. It’s the people. Scientists know how to “wipe it out” but we have to consider the people.
“I wish you would!”
ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

What type of mask do you wear?
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

holmes435 wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:04 pm

There are level 3 surgical masks in every drugstore and hardware store here where I live. They are available on Amazon with 3 day delivery for $0.74 per mask.

These have a ton of science behind them being more effective than not wearing anything.

You're probably talking about the fishing gaiters, which may break up larger exhaled droplets and could potentially disperse the virus more by keeping it in the air longer.

We have enough masks proven to help to go around nowadays. Whether people want to use them is another issue...
yes. there seems to be availability of all types nowadays. basic medical in particular, also 95s, and others.

gaiters, bandanas and single cloth make up the lower end of the totem pole. anecdotally have seen a much smaller percentage of those than a couple months ago. still maybe 30-40% (guess) but it was twice and more than that previously.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

ardilla secreta wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:27 pm

What type of mask do you wear?
have a number of dual ply and a bunch of medical.
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:43 pm
holmes435 wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:04 pm

yes. there seems to be availability of all types nowadays. basic medical in particular, also 95s, and others.

gaiters, bandanas and single cloth make up the lower end of the totem pole. anecdotally have seen a much smaller percentage of those than a couple months ago. still maybe 30-40% (guess) but it was twice and more than that previously.
I was in NYC last night.... it was masks galore....mostly KN95 type masks... It made me laugh as a colleague told me I was crazy if I thought Americans were going to walk around like the Chinese and Japanese back in March. I told him they are not stupid people and have seen enough of these types of viruses.... he begged to differ.... It ain't rocket science.....stay away from people and wear a mask (3 ply if no KN95) until the cavalry arrives.... we don't have the will power...we want to watch sports, eat and drink out and go to gyms and hair/nail salons.

I bought some 3-ply with a pocket for a carbon filer. I bought sheets of HEPA filter which I cut and inserted in the pocket. I wear a KN95 but will wear a 3 ply with a HEPA filter eventually.
“I wish you would!”
ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

Miami Ohio college students test positive for coronavirus, throw party
https://www.10tv.com/article/news/healt ... 444d7725d3

Multiple by every college in the country then wait for the miracle.
Typical Lax Dad

“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

ardilla secreta wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:11 pm Miami Ohio college students test positive for coronavirus, throw party

Ain’t nothin’ dumber than an American.
“I wish you would!”
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:14 pm
ardilla secreta wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:11 pm Miami Ohio college students test positive for coronavirus, throw party

You're so fond of your country and countryman.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

6ftstick wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:10 am

Tough to be "fond" of people who purposely put others at risk of death, 'cause they're "American" and are "free"...dumb and selfish 'real Muricans'.

We have a beautiful country with wonderful aspirations, enormous good fortune, yet take so much for granted, squander so much.
CU88

Post by CU88 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:16 am
6ftstick wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:10 am

Tough to be "fond" of people who purposely put others at risk of death, 'cause they're "American" and are "free"...dumb and selfish 'real Muricans'.

We have a beautiful country with wonderful aspirations, enormous good fortune, yet take so much for granted, squander so much.
I really don't understand the fear of wearing a mask. What do those same people think when they see "No Shirt. No Shoes. No Serivce"?
by cradleandshoot » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:57 am
Mr moderator, deactivate my account.
You have heck this forum up to making it nothing more than a joke. I hope you are happy.
This is cradle and shoot signing out.
:roll: :roll: :roll:

Return to “POLITICS”