Trump's Russian Collusion

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
seacoaster

Re: The Mueller Investigation

Post by seacoaster »

"Chips has it right. He understands the priorities & what's at stake. Our worsening relations with Russia are too important to be used as a domestic political football."

Respectfully (and I mean that), I'm not so sure Chips has it right. I can understand a desire to move things along, to come to a conclusion, and get out of the limbo we are in.. But the issue of whether a political campaign knowingly received cooperation and assistance from a foreign power and basically a nation-state that we can colorably think of as an enemy is a pretty important countevailing interest here. Our "worsening relations with Russia" may actually be the consequence of the fact that it is an enemy of our country, its institutions and way of life, and conducted an attack on a material institution. I'm willing to give the SCO the time to do the job right, thoroughly and well.
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

Cohen just tweeted that Prague is beautiful in summer but he has never been there, and that Mueller knows everything.
“I don’t take responsibility at all.” —Donald J Trump
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

runrussellrun wrote:
MDlaxfan76 wrote:
Trinity wrote:Matt Whitaker’s resume says he was an Academic All-American at Iowa. He was not. Pretty big error to make. Not for a walking, talking fraud, but an acting US Attorney General?
https://sports.yahoo.com/acting-ag-matt ... 32715.html
sheesh, there's no innocent explanation. This a lacrosse site. Anyone confused about whether being nominated as an Academic All-American in Lacrosse is the same as actually being one? NO!!
Don't know, but pretty sure YOUR Maryland AG lied about his lacrosse accolades. All American at Yale, he claimed, on his Monkey County bio at the time. He still claimed that he was all IVY too.....no record of that either. We know, we know....apples to sauce. But, willing to bet you voted for good ole Doug go go Gansler.
I never actually voted for Doug, but he was a few years after my era so we never crossed paths on the field. I was able to find in multiple places references to his having been a 4-year starter at Yale, and having made All-Ivy and All-New England teams. Yale only currently lists the All-Ivy first teamers and I don't see a link to Ivy records elsewhere. Those references don't say whether that was for a second or third or HM whatever team in any of those, but I wouldn't be surprised if a 4-yr starter garnered some lower level recognition. I don't see anything authoritatively saying that he claimed he was an All-American at any point other than some old lax power discussion that no longer links. I suspect he did not attain that level, though I couldn't tell for sure from the USILA site as 1984 doesn't link through for me the way '82, 83' and '85 do.

Those of us who have played are quite aware of what our highest level attained was, if any. For instance, I was All-Ivy all NE multiple times, but I couldn't say for sure what level! I'm pretty sure it was never for 1st team as each year of my four there were multiple AA's out of the Ivies. In those days we didn't get any physical manifestation of those recognitions, just a mention in the next year's brochure. I did get my two AA certificates though, both HM, and Dartmouth lists that accurately in its archives. I don't see any AA listing for Gansler in Yale's archive.

My point is that one should certainly know whether one was named AA or not. And an Academic AA is binary. You either are or are you are not. There are not multiple levels for Academic AA. If he's been listing that on his resume or applications for jobs, shame on him. It would be an immediate disqualification for any job at the DoJ.

I'd also note that it would be hard to imagine that Whitaker's on-field performance would have been sufficient to garner even Academic AA honors. He played, but it's not like he was a particularly significant player for them, regardless of whether he had the grades or not (which also hasn't been confirmed).

This just seems quite consistent with what else we know about him; slimy.

This is definitely not a guy who would have made it through a Senate confirmation process (and shouldn't have ever been appointed, given plenty of other far more qualified folks ready and able at hand, already Senate confirmed).
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

ggait wrote:
TAATS......two years and NO charges.
5/17/2017 is Mueller's appointment date. So 19 months. #facts

When we hit the actual two year mark, we should talk about what Mueller has/has not produced.

I'll send you a meeting invite to save the date.
:)

I think we should also note that the average SCO investigation is 3 years, so how about 5/17/2020 just to be 'average'?

I see no reason to believe that the investigations and prosecutions aren't going to run for at least many months more, perhaps even a year or two more, given that the process of bringing complex cases to trial involves a lot of moving parts, multiple related prosecutions etc.

And a whole slew of definitely slimy characters have yet to be indicted.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

I am going to post this here instead of the SCOTUS thread:

http://amylhowe.com/2018/12/22/justices ... y-dispute/

Good overview of the challenge to the SCO subpoena by a foreign government owned corporation," with this update:

"UPDATE: On Sunday evening, Chief Justice John Roberts temporarily blocked the district court’s order requiring the foreign corporation to comply with the grand jury subpoena or pay penalties. In a brief order, the chief justice directed the government to respond by noon on December 31 and indicated that the district court’s order would remain on hold until the government’s response is filed and either he or the full court takes additional action."

For those of you stopping by the Nerd Bar tonight, here is the DC Circuit's decision, which upheld the District Court's Order finding that the foreign entity was not immune from compliance with the subpoena:

https://www.cadc.uscourts.gov/internet/ ... 764819.pdf

"Finally, we consider the Corporation’s alternative argument that the subpoena is unreasonable and oppressive because it would require the Corporation to violate Country A’s law. As the party invoking foreign law, the Corporation “assumes the burden of showing that such law prevents compliance with the court’s order.” In re Sealed Case, 825 F.2d 494, 498 (D.C. Cir. 1987) (per curiam). The Corporation has fallen well short of carrying that burden. The text of the foreign law provision the Corporation relies on does not support its position. Moreover, the submissions from the Corporation’s own counsel and—later—a regulator from Country A seeking to explain the Corporation’s atextual interpretation lack critical indicia of reliability. See Animal Science Products, Inc. v. Hebei Welcome Pharmaceutical Co. Ltd., 138 S. Ct. 1865, 1873–74 (2018) (listing, among the factors to be considered when evaluating a foreign government’s interpretation of its own laws, “the statement’s clarity, thoroughness, and support; its context and purpose; . . . [and] the role and authority of the entity or official offering the statement”). Consequently, we are unconvinced that Country A’s law truly prohibits the Corporation from complying with the subpoena."
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Big fan of the "Nerd Bar"! Thanks for posting.
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

Mueller has among his exhibits one or more nude selfies, according to Concord Management court filing.
old salt

Post by old salt »

Cohen loaned his cell phone to his bag man Vinnie for his trip to Prague.
ggait

Post by ggait »

With so much focus on Cohen/Prague, what's the chance that McClatchey is just 100% dead wrong on this multiple times in the most public way possible? Or the chance that Cohen is just 100% flat out lying in a highly public manner at this point? Given that he has flipped, partially cooperated, been sentenced etc., why is he talking at all at this point?

Maybe they are both telling a carefully worded truth somehow?

At the time Cohen got raided, reports were that the Feds recovered 16 mobile phones. Seems like a lot. So maybe a burner phone belonging to Cohen but being used by someone else near Prague? BTW, the Dossier says Cohen traveled with three associates -- I don't recall any speculation about who the compatriots might have been.

And what does Cohen mean/intend by including the "Mueller knows everything" in his denial? Seems like some kind of troll or signal about something, doesn't it?

Is it just a coincidence that DJTJ speaks fluent Czech? He learned the language while spending childhood summers at grandpa's house located just outside of (no joke)...Prague! :shock:
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

Wild guess— George Nader, the only guy to get total immunity right away from Mueller, knows the answer.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

The Government's brief was due on 12/31; looks like no one wanted to work over the weekend:

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/12/ ... se-1076871
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

Re: Climate Change & The Environment

Postby MDlaxfan76 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:18 am

It's interesting that so many right wingers have migrated to activity on this thread, but are starting to go quieter on the Mueller thread.

Might that be because it will be numerous years before there's definitive "proof" of man's impact on the climate, given that indeed there are many other factors beyond just man? So, no looming proof that they've been flat wrong.

But Mueller is weekly demonstrating that their favorite climate change denier, Trump, is dirty, surrounding himself with liars and crooks?

That's my hypothesis. Prove it wrong.
I have been quiet on this thread - because I believe in waiting to see what comes of investigations. Let's see the accusations and the evidence. All I have seen on this thread is innuendo and speculation - waste of time.

But, if anyone is surprised that a guy that made a fortune in real estate in NYC is surrounded by sleazes, liars, and crooks - well, I don't know what to say about that...

That is a far different question than: what did he do as a candidate and since the election that is illegal and deviates from the "norm". Could be lots, could be not so much. I am getting tired of waiting though.
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

HooDat wrote:

It's interesting that so many right wingers have migrated to activity on this thread, but are starting to go quieter on the Mueller thread.

Might that be because it will be numerous years before there's definitive "proof" of man's impact on the climate, given that indeed there are many other factors beyond just man? So, no looming proof that they've been flat wrong.

But Mueller is weekly demonstrating that their favorite climate change denier, Trump, is dirty, surrounding himself with liars and crooks?

I have been quiet on this thread - because I believe in waiting to see what comes of investigations. Let's see the accusations and the evidence. All I have seen on this thread is innuendo and speculation - waste of time.

But, if anyone is surprised that a guy that made a fortune in real estate in NYC is surrounded by sleazes, liars, and crooks - well, I don't know what to say about that...

That is a far different question than: what did he do as a candidate and since the election that is illegal and deviates from the "norm". Could be lots, could be not so much. I am getting tired of waiting though.
I'd love to know more too, who wouldn't?

As to what did he do during the campaign that "deviates from the "norm", well:

1) He claimed he had no business dealings with Russians while in reality he was trying to make a deal in Moscow deep into the campaign. Lying about something that would have made a quite material difference to most voters. Lied over and over again.

2) He claimed that his campaign had no dealings with Russians, yet a whole bunch of folks in his campaign, all the way to the top, were doing so, and lying about it. Campaign Chairman, assistant chairman, son, son-in-law, personal lawyer/fixer, etc, etc.

3) He conspired on and directed an admitted felony by his co-conspirators, election finance violation. Covered up a pay-off of at least two women with embarrassing stories about him weeks before the election. Lied about it repeatedly.

Now, what we don't know yet is how deeply the interaction with the Russian/Putin effort to tilt the election in his direction was coordinated with the Trump crew. But there's a whole lot of connections. And a whole lot of lying.

Not the "norm" for any other campaign.
Last edited by MDlaxfan76 on Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

And that’s not counting the Middle East prong.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

But, if anyone is surprised that a guy that made a fortune in real estate in NYC is surrounded by sleazes, liars, and crooks - well, I don't know what to say about that...https://www.politico.com/story/2015/06/ ... ton-119071 Long before the Russians Trump was courting sleazebags... nothing new here. :D
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

cradleandshoot wrote:But, if anyone is surprised that a guy that made a fortune in real estate in NYC is surrounded by sleazes, liars, and crooks - well, I don't know what to say about that...https://www.politico.com/story/2015/06/ ... ton-119071 Long before the Russians Trump was courting sleazebags... nothing new here. :D
Absolutely. He's looked at politicians all his life as favors for sale. Father was the same. Bribes, pay-offs, graft, corruption. When you are big-time a criminal, the only way to avoid prosecution is to have 'friends' in high places. That doesn't mean that every politician who takes a donation is necessarily corrupted by that donation, but there's no doubt that many are.

When he ran out of Americans willing to lend him money or otherwise bail him out financially, he turned abroad and found a very willing and very rich group of sleaze balls.

Which is why he's so obviously vulnerable to Kompromat. They know he's a criminal, US voters really didn't.

Heck, there are quite a few posters on here who are still stubbornly refusing to believe he's a criminal, a tax fraud, a money launderer, yes, a prime time sleaze ball.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Trinity wrote:And that’s not counting the Middle East prong.
Yup, but I'm not sure exactly what we "know" on that front as yet. I suspect we will, before much longer, but have there been any indictments on that front yet? Some cooperation agreements, but no indictments or plea agreements, yet, right? That's when the details get much clearer.

I did leave off another campaign finance violation, which is the use of his "Foundation" for campaign as well as other personal purposes. That's pretty darn clear as well. I'd put that in the "know' column, and certainly deviating from the "norm". Criminal.

And of course there's the matter of his #1 foreign affairs campaign advisor and his transgressions during and post campaign.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

HooDat wrote:

Those people are not POTUS.
“I wish you would!”
old salt

Post by old salt »

Who needs proof or evidence ? Tick, tock.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

old salt wrote:Who needs proof or evidence ? Tick, tock.
We all do; you just like to pretend that everyone save yourself is unreasonable. Happy New Year.

Return to “POLITICS”