All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 70

MDlaxfan76

Re: All things Chinese CoronaVirus

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

kramerica.inc wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:26 am It's not a hoax. But as you put it: the deaths have "maxed out at a fraction of our reality."
Now we know what the real threat is. It's real. Just like having a car accident, being in an airplane crash, or getting paralyzed/killed by a shot in lacrosse.
It's a possibility in life. There's risk in life for everything. It's why you wear a seatbelt commuting, why the airlines give the safety speech before each flight, and why there's an ambulance parked at every h/s lax game.
The threat is known, so prepare, wear your masks, and let's move on.
I agree with "wear your masks"...

Unfortunately, a pandemic is not akin to the other risks you cite.

With the exception of a car crash in which you are the cause, killing those also in the crash, the other types of risks and safety measures you take, don't increase the risks to others. But even in car crashes, the deaths are limited.

Here we have a geometric progression potential from each actor who fails to protect others as well as themselves.

Just to be clear, we wish the deaths had maxed out way, way lower.

But they didn't.

The spread continued to multiply as too many individual actors put not only themselves at risk, but a geometric progression beyond themselves.

And we can have no doubt that our current POTUS had an impact upon those decisions, and continues to have an impact on those decisions.

We also can be pretty darn sure that had we followed the CDC recommendations, across all states and jurisdictions, thoroughly, we would have dramatically changed the trajectory of the pandemic in the US.

And this would have put us in a position to continue to constrict progression by common sense mask wearing, no large gatherings, and comprehensive test, trace, and isolate. The latter would only be effective if we either got the incidence low or we had massively more testing and tracing capacity.

And this would have allowed us to do Most activities, both work and some play, while letting the scientists and doctors continue to progress on therapies and a vaccine.

Instead we're in this horrible conundrum where we are trying to do what would have been far more universally possible at low incidence levels, yet with far worse consequences than if we'd done what was necessary to drive incidence all the way down ala what so many other nations accomplished.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:27 pm
kramerica.inc wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:26 am It's not a hoax. But as you put it: the deaths have "maxed out at a fraction of our reality."
Now we know what the real threat is. It's real. Just like having a car accident, being in an airplane crash, or getting paralyzed/killed by a shot in lacrosse.
It's a possibility in life. There's risk in life for everything. It's why you wear a seatbelt commuting, why the airlines give the safety speech before each flight, and why there's an ambulance parked at every h/s lax game.

With the exception of a car crash in which you are the cause, killing those also in the crash, the other types of risks and safety measures you take, don't increase the risks to others. But even in car crashes, the deaths are limited.

Here we have a geometric progression potential from each actor who fails to protect others as well as themselves.

But they didn't.

The spread continued to multiply as too many individual actors put not only themselves at risk, but a geometric progression beyond themselves.

And we can have no doubt that our current POTUS had an impact upon those decisions, and continues to have an impact on those decisions.

We also can be pretty darn sure that had we followed the CDC recommendations, across all states and jurisdictions, thoroughly, we would have dramatically changed the trajectory of the pandemic in the US.

And this would have put us in a position to continue to constrict progression by common sense mask wearing, no large gatherings, and comprehensive test, trace, and isolate. The latter would only be effective if we either got the incidence low or we had massively more testing and tracing capacity.

And this would have allowed us to do Most activities, both work and some play, while letting the scientists and doctors continue to progress on therapies and a vaccine.

Instead we're in this horrible conundrum where we are trying to do what would have been far more universally possible at low incidence levels, yet with far worse consequences than if we'd done what was necessary to drive incidence all the way down ala what so many other nations accomplished.
I understand all that. My disagreement is at the level of which covid is still a risk. Fortunatey, In Md, our numbers have remained very low. Throughout. Fortunately, in my entire circle of friends and Acquaintances, I know absolutely no one who has died from it and only one person who had a mild case. Gladly, we are getting back to normal. Now each person needs to choose how they mitigate the risk. How they act, on their own.

It’s real, it’s not a hoax, but it’s also not a reason to stop most peoples normal way of life now. Wear a mask, wash your hands. Socially distance if you can. Otherwise, carry on.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Maryland just came off the NYS quarantine list. I am sure things are slowly opening up to some level..... won't be pre-Covid level for some time. Gyms in NY and NJ just re-opened with capacity limitations. Thing are not like they were in Late March and April and into May. If it were me, I would have kept everything shut down until July 1. Everywhere. We would be further along than were we are. We are going to limp along.
“I wish you would!”
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

kramerica.inc wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:34 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:27 pm

But they didn't.

I understand all that. My disagreement is at the level of which covid is still a risk. Fortunatey, In Md, our numbers have remained very low. Throughout. Fortunately, in my entire circle of friends and Acquaintances, I know absolutely no one who has died from it and only one person who had a mild case. Gladly, we are getting back to normal. Now each person needs to choose how they mitigate the risk. How they act, on their own.

It’s real, it’s not a hoax, but it’s also not a reason to stop most peoples normal way of life now. Wear a mask, wash your hands. Socially distance if you can. Otherwise, carry on.
I know a bunch of doctors here in MD who have been dealing with this, they sure "know" a lot who have died and a lot who have suffered. Huge stress.

We've been very fortunate in our family to have been able to do heavy social distancing, only gathering, well distanced on the patio with a couple of friends at a time, occasionally.

But then COVID got in...nephew had a knucklehead roommate who infected a whole bunch of people despite being symptomatic, nephew didn't know and drove his sister and her boyfriend to airport, boyfriend later tested positive, they flew to NH to join grandmother and her parents and her sister and her boyfriend at lake house. The other sister has tested positive. All have had symptoms and have subsequently quarantined...so far, we may have escaped the 60+ yr old parents and the 83 yr old grandmother from getting it...had they, we'd be likely to have had challenges as my sister as some co-morbidity issues and my mother nearly died of pneumonia two years ago, though is pretty darn first right now.

But I agree, wear the darn masks, distance as much as practical, no large events, and be careful. That enables most work and at least some play.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:51 pm Maryland just came off the NYS quarantine list. I am sure things are slowly opening up to some level..... won't be pre-Covid level for some time. Gyms in NY and NJ just re-opened with capacity limitations. Thing are not like they were in Late March and April and into May. If it were me, I would have kept everything shut down until July 1. Everywhere. We would be further along than were we are. We are going to limp along.
The Washington State model that predicted virus incidence at near zero in august had as a required assumption nationwide lockdown through end of June.

And the CDC guidelines would have essentially accomplished that.
ggait

Post by ggait »

My disagreement is at the level of which covid is still a risk.
Kram -- Let's walk through this.

Car crashes kill 37k Americans each year. And we get that level of deaths with our current bundle of rules -- air bags, seat belts, speed limits, traffic signals, etc. etc.

You could argue that 37k deaths is pretty low. So maybe we should allow people more freedom. Let them drive faster -- how about a 100 mph limit? And maybe we should let people drive drunk? And maybe not require seat belts?

If we do those things, deaths will go up to, say, 150k annually. Do you support those things? Life is risky, after all, and 150k is small as compared to the deaths you get from cancer and heart attacks.

With Covid, we're going to get 250-300k deaths (concentrated among oldsters) this year with the level of stuff we are currently doing. Trump says we'd get 2 million deaths if we did nothing. So what do you propose?

Obviously, any loosening brings benefits (economy, lower unemployment, kids at school, more freedom) but will also cause more deaths. FYI, we are currently ticking along at -22% of normal in terms of social distancing. And let's assume that the relationship is straight line. So:

-22% SD equals 300k deaths
-15% SD equals 650k deaths
-10% SD equals 1 million deaths
0% equals 2 million deaths

Pick one.
Boycott stupid. Country over party.
Typical Lax Dad

How the Pandemic Defeated America
Since the pandemic began, I have spoken with more than 100 experts in a variety of fields. I’ve learned that almost everything that went wrong with America’s response to the pandemic was predictable and preventable. A sluggish response by a government denuded of expertise allowed the coronavirus to gain a foothold. Chronic underfunding of public health neutered the nation’s ability to prevent the pathogen’s spread. A bloated, inefficient health-care system left hospitals ill-prepared for the ensuing wave of sickness. Racist policies that have endured since the days of colonization and slavery left Indigenous and Black Americans especially vulnerable to COVID‑19. The decades-long process of shredding the nation’s social safety net forced millions of essential workers in low-paying jobs to risk their life for their livelihood. The same social-media platforms that sowed partisanship and misinformation during the 2014 Ebola outbreak in Africa and the 2016 U.S. election became vectors for conspiracy theories during the 2020 pandemic.
Climate change results in habitat changes and when people and animals move, you get emerging viruses. Smallpox is a good example.
“I wish you would!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

i continue to be challenged to insert "imo" on here for large swaths of declarative statements.

hope i can keep it going.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

wgdsr wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:41 pm i continue to be challenged to insert "imo" on here for large swaths of declarative statements.

Always a good practice to distinguish between opinion and fact...tough discipline to maintain.
Good for you for at least trying!
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:41 pm i continue to be challenged to insert "imo" on here for large swaths of declarative statements.

If referencing the above, how about “infectious disease experts have concluded that changes in habitat is a contributing factor to the spread of emerging viruses”. Smallpox was one example cited. That’s not an opinion.
“I wish you would!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:06 pm

If referencing the above, how about “infectious disease experts have concluded that changes in habitat is a contributing factor to the spread of emerging viruses”. Smallpox was one example cited. That’s not an opinion.
if it's not an opinion, you have no obligation to wear the shoe! wasn't going by order of previous posts, was referencing our pleasant little community here in general... today a most recent example.

no doubt some of us (all of us?) think our opinions are facts... x y and z heard from so and so. and note i did say "we". or "us".

feel free to put an "imo" in front of much of what i say.
Last edited by wgdsr on Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brooklyn

Re: All things tRUMP CoronaVirus

Post by Brooklyn »

186,000+ dead Americans thanks to tRUMP virus.

Donny Dunce's "success" remains unmatchable.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:15 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:06 pm

if it's not an opinion, you have no obligation to wear the shoe! wasn't going by order of previous posts, was referencing our pleasant little community here in general... today a most recent example.

no doubt some of us (all of us?) think our opinions are facts... x y and z heard from so and so. and note i did say "we".

feel free to put an "imo" in front of much of what i say.
I wasn’t sure. But I try to avoid conflating an opinion as fact. It happens often here as you state..... clear opinion characterized as a fact. You can miss it if not paying attention.
“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

Brooklyn wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:17 pm 186,000+ dead Americans thanks to tRUMP virus.

Worldmeter has us at 190,000+. We will be getting off the interstate sometime this month.
“I wish you would!”
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:21 pm
Brooklyn wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:17 pm 186,000+ dead Americans thanks to tRUMP virus.

Worldmeter has us at 190,000+. We will be getting off the interstate sometime this month.

Wouldn't surprise me in the least to learn that the number is higher than that at the present moment. This knowing how Dumpster has downplayed the death toll and attributed its "low" count to his unmatchable success in mitigating the disaster. His pro death attitude belies his image as a "pro life" advocate as he is nothing more than a religious and political Pharisee.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
Typical Lax Dad

Brooklyn wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:31 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:21 pm

Wouldn't surprise me in the least to learn that the number is higher than that at the present moment. This knowing how Dumpster has downplayed the death toll and attributed its "low" count to his unmatchable success in mitigating the disaster. His pro death attitude belies his image as a "pro life" advocate as he is nothing more than a religious and political Pharisee.
I strongly “believe” that we are higher than that number.
“I wish you would!”
CU88

Post by CU88 »

It is almost as if they are serious about health risks...

PSU football doctor: 30-35 percent of COVID-19-positive Big Ten athletes had myocarditis.

https://www.centredaily.com/sports/coll ... 48050.html
by cradleandshoot » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:57 am
Mr moderator, deactivate my account.
You have heck this forum up to making it nothing more than a joke. I hope you are happy.
This is cradle and shoot signing out.
:roll: :roll: :roll:
njbill

Post by njbill »

This should be a huge story. Maybe it will get the attention it deserves in the coming days.
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

CU88 wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:00 pm It is almost as if they are serious about health risks...

PSU football doctor: 30-35 percent of COVID-19-positive Big Ten athletes had myocarditis.

https://www.centredaily.com/sports/coll ... 48050.html

https://sports.yahoo.com/nuance-lost-in ... 30060.html

Just for the sake of clarity. Number of athletes in the study not listed, many other missing components including not every athlete in the study getting a cardiac MRI. Not saying it is good news by any stretch, but for all we know it could be 3 OUT of 9 athletes...

Go Twins
JoeMauer89!

Return to “POLITICS”