All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 70

ggait

Re: All things Chinese CoronaVirus

Post by ggait »

51 years ago (plus a couple days) #41 defeated Fergie Jenkins in the famous black cat game at Shea. Complete game allowing five hits and one earned run. The Cubs were done at that point. The rest is history. I remember it like it was yesterday.

RIP Tom Terrific. Have a Rheingold Extra Dry on me.

P.S. Still haven’t gotten over Jimmy Qualls breaking up your perfect game...
Boycott stupid. Country over party.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Jimmy Qualls. Jesus. I watched that game from my home in NJ on a nice summer night. All night the threat was Ron Santo or Ernie Banks....

Obituary in the Times:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/02/obit ... ticleShare
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:25 pm
njbill wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:57 pm Tom Seaver dies of dementia and Covid.

https://www.si.com/mlb/2020/09/03/tom-s ... ts-dies-75
When I was pitching growing up, he was my role model. He got a lot of power using his legs. I would wear the knee out of uniform by the end of the season. We have lost a lot of people this year.
i remember for a long stretch as a kid it was tom seaver, nolan ryan, goose gossage out of the pen and then everybody else. and i was a sawx fan.

never was able to get that knee down.

rip.
holmes435

Post by holmes435 »

Treating critically ill COVID-19 patients with corticosteroid drugs reduces the risk of death by 20%, an analysis of seven international trials found on Wednesday, prompting the World Health Organisation to update its advice on treatment.

Hopefully we can keep driving down that mortality rate until a vax is out.

That's another benefit of flattening the curve. It gives researchers more time to figure out how the virus works, and what treatments are and are not effective. It saves more lives in the end.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

wgdsr wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:20 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:25 pm
njbill wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:57 pm Tom Seaver dies of dementia and Covid.

https://www.si.com/mlb/2020/09/03/tom-s ... ts-dies-75
When I was pitching growing up, he was my role model. He got a lot of power using his legs. I would wear the knee out of uniform by the end of the season. We have lost a lot of people this year.
i remember for a long stretch as a kid it was tom seaver, nolan ryan, goose gossage out of the pen and then everybody else. and i was a sawx fan.

never was able to get that knee down.

rip.
Yep
“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

holmes435 wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:39 am Treating critically ill COVID-19 patients with corticosteroid drugs reduces the risk of death by 20%, an analysis of seven international trials found on Wednesday, prompting the World Health Organisation to update its advice on treatment.

That's another benefit of flattening the curve. It gives researchers more time to figure out how the virus works, and what treatments are and are not effective. It saves more lives in the end.
Yes....flattening the curve buys time to save more lives. We are going to put 190,000 deaths in the rear view mirror today.
“I wish you would!”
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:52 am
holmes435 wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:39 am Treating critically ill COVID-19 patients with corticosteroid drugs reduces the risk of death by 20%, an analysis of seven international trials found on Wednesday, prompting the World Health Organisation to update its advice on treatment.

Yes....flattening the curve buys time to save more lives. We are going to put 190,000 deaths in the rear view mirror today.

Wow...you'd think Nancy and RBG would wear masks.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

layman's read... therapeutics that show 20% + effective endpoints with 1000+ (or high 3 figures?) patients is effective, lower numbers in the hundreds the bar rises closer to 30% +/_ , smaller numbers somewhere in double digits it rises above 40%.

without knowing all the numbers this meta data entails, i'd guess it was "robust".
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Imagine if no one wore masks, no one socially distanced, sports had packed stadiums, bars were full, concerts rocking, weddings bigger the better, political rallies packed auditoriums, add your own preferred super spreader opportunities.

Gee, any issues?
njbill

Post by njbill »

190,000. (180,000 was reached on Aug. 22.)
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

"Here's hoping we can get to 250K by Nov 1st!"

-Every democrat on this forum

Never seen more people hoping the econpmy collapses, or people die.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

kramerica.inc wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:33 am "Here's hoping we can get to 250K by Nov 1st!"

Yup.

Throw in a littler cheerleading for rioting/looting/arson/murder (plus the always-present "RAISE THAT GUY"S TAXES, NOT MINE"), and today's Democrat seems well-defined.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:21 am Good news

This is a big help.
any idea if this is the same study holmes linked or an additional one? same day, but 30% vs 20%.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

kramerica.inc wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:33 am "Here's hoping we can get to 250K by Nov 1st!"

come on, Kram, you're not really on that bandwagon are you???

Yes, any normal-thinking, non-sociopathic person, (R, D, I) should be really upset that this has gone so horribly wrong and any such person should be really PO'd by those who push false narratives about the pandemic, creating immense friction to doing better.

But none of those people are wishing for more deaths. None.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Bart wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:23 pm
Thanks for this. The RAS has always been on my "list" of things that are out of whack, especially with how the virus binds to the cell. What I never thought of was Bradykinin. I am certainly glad there are smarter people than me looking a this thing.

Here is a link to a paper, small study, using a kinin receptor antagonist in the treatment of patients: https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamane ... le/2769237
yes very small, but v good results for what they published. any idea whether they had a number of other endpoints in the hay that they published anywhere?

oak ridge's computer & co. is an all-star if they got it right, wouldn't be surprised if studies like this helped with their process.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:45 am

Yes, any normal-thinking, non-sociopathic person, (R, D, I) should be really upset that this has gone so horribly wrong and any such person should be really PO'd by those who push false narratives about the pandemic, creating immense friction to doing better.

I'm not on any bandwagon. I'm incredibly upset the way the pandemic was handled.

But it's your contention that the posters here are just posting numbers to "inform us" of the pandemic going "incredibly wrong."

For what end? No political reasons at all?

:roll:

C'Mon, MD. Don't peddle that. I was born at night, but it wasn't last night.
ggait

Post by ggait »

No one is rooting for more deaths.

But to avoid future deaths, we have to be honest about the facts and our response.

Especially when many keep saying no big deal, it is going away, hoax, libs trying to control us, masks don’t work etc etc etc.

Seems like those folk are kinda political, no?
Boycott stupid. Country over party.
Typical Lax Dad

Peter Brown wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:03 am

Wow...you'd think Nancy and RBG would wear masks.
It’s a hoax
“I wish you would!”
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

331M US citizens + 10M undocumented.
=
341,000,000 people in the US

190,000 deaths (and yes that number is big because every life matters.)

Get your your calculator. What's the percentage come down to?
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

kramerica.inc wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:52 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:45 am

I'm not on any bandwagon. I'm incredibly upset the way the pandemic was handled.

But it's your contention that the posters here are just posting numbers to "inform us" of the pandemic going "incredibly wrong."

For what end? No political reasons at all?

:roll:

C'Mon, MD. Don't peddle that. I was born at night, but it wasn't last night.
Ok, I haven't thought of you as some partisan a-hole on here peddling crappola, so I was taken aback by the accusation that anyone was rooting for more deaths.

If you're saying that the discussion has political implications, no doubt.

There's no clearer evidence of the incompetence of this White House than the pandemic. And that has political implications, for sure.

But ALL of US, I believe would prefer that issue not exist, that deaths had maxed out at a fraction of our reality.

We'd much prefer the political discussion could be on the Trump crew's corruption as issue #1.

Speaking for myself, unless we're actually talking about the political implications, my intent is to push back against the stupidity, the very dangerous and damaging stupidity, of those who are peddling that the response to COVID has been a big success, or, worse, that we should not be wearing masks, that we should ignore the virus and let it run rampant to get to 'herd immunity' faster...

I'll post again and again and again the Florida #'s because Petey's been such an a-hole on this topic and so egregiously wrong in his predictions about Florida and its management...where I'd love for my mother to be able to return safely to this fall/winter.

Return to “POLITICS”