Is a 2021 season going to happen?

D1 Mens Lacrosse
TNLAX

Re: Is a 2021 season going to happen?

Post by TNLAX »

DocBarrister wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:13 am
JoeMauer89 wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:40 pm
Unknown Participant wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:32 pm As an anecdotal, and I am not a scientist, Dr., etc. In 1998, I was a USMCR with Weapons Company 25th Marines after 5.5 yrs in the tip of the spear with 1st Bn., 6th Marines 2MARDIV. Back then as a general rule, I never went to the doctor (my old sawbones dad was good enough). In the summer between my IL and 2L years at law school, I had the most ridiculous case of something (maybe narcolepsy (if that is a thing)). No energy, just wanted to nap, which I did all the time. It was brutal. I worried that I had Lyme, AIDs (had been to Olongapo City in 88), Cancer, Malaria, I literally just wanted to lay in bed and sleep forever. It lasted for a month or two. No f'n clue what was the cause (29 Palms water maybe), but I had something. Was really worried about my prospects for 2L. But I got over that just as fall semester started and I was good to go. Who the f' knows. All these Covid novel theories about permanent impacts on health, like Doc B sprouts, he has no clue.
Unknown,

This is a great post, thanks for the personal insight. These theories about permanent impacts on health, are just theories for now. It's the hyperfocus on this virus from the MSM that has unfortunately changed the way certain people accept the information that is disseminated.

Go Twins!
JoeMauer89!
The dangerous, ignorant misinformation here really needs to stop.

COVID-19 can permanently injure the lungs in some patients.

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/ ... -the-lungs

Other COVID-19 patients have experienced cardiovascular complications like stroke.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/N ... 1599044905

Of course, there is nothing more permanent than death, and nearly 190,000 have died from COVID-19.

You two should be banned for your dangerously ignorant and misinformed posts. I know the Administrator is reluctant to do that, but a warning should at least be in order here.

There is nothing more dangerous than misinformation in a pandemic.

DocBarrister
The first 4 words from the linked article "Like other respiratory illnesses" sums up a lot of peoples feelings that surround COVID-19. I would bet everyone on this forum understands and appreciates that COVID-19 can harm individuals, but doesn't harm the vast majority, well over 99% of the population. We think there has been a gross over reach by government that has filtered thru the MSM and picked up by many.

It wasn't to long ago that the experts told us to wear rubber gloves for protection. We know now that this doesn't help protect the spread of the virus. There is plenty of misinformation to go around. But we do know, that if I don't want to get COVID I can shelter in place, never leave my home and live a very isolated life. If I want to take some risk I can leave my home and go about my daily routine.

Here is another example of the informed changing their opinions as to how to handle this virus.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/25/heal ... g-cdc.html

But please don't take away others opinions because you disagree with them.

Hope everyone stays healthy and safe.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Doc has always been extreme going back before even his transformational classes on LP. Have to take it with a small grain of salt while noting his general thrust is directionally correct. This stuff falls into two categories that are getting shorted by the “resume normal life” crowd:

1. Legal liability (colleges or employers). Looks at the asbestos trust which was set up in the 1980s and taking companies like Armstrong Industries down 20+ years later. Combine that with the general lack of leadership among higher ed and, well, you should get the point.
2. The amplification effect. Citing data while acknowledging all the efforts to manage that through quarantining is incongruous. Part of the reason this “hasn’t affected 99% of the population” as described is the efforts across the globe to avoid a worse outcome through limiting interaction. It’s not about the parochial concern about a potential for individual infection, it’s the inability to contact trace those with the virus if we resume normal daily life freely.

Now, is Docs absolutism the only path? No of course not, but these counter arguments don’t value the two items above enough, IMO, and also kind of reek of a self centered desire to have normality for themselves or someone very close to them (like a child).
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

I am going to get a 4.0 in damage.

(Afan jealous he didn’t do this first)
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Tells me some people insist on making political statements on a lacrosse board rather than migrating the politics board where this sort of thing belongs.
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

This is how we are going to play lacrosse in the spring:

https://nypost.com/2020/09/02/cdc-tells ... -by-nov-1/
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:29 pm Tells me some people insist on making political statements on a lacrosse board rather than migrating the politics board where this sort of thing belongs.
Agreed. I'm going to move a bunch of these posts to the Corona Thread. Obviously there's some crossover between these two threads but let's try to keep this thread more Corona and lacrosse oriented.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:19 am Doc has always been extreme going back before even his transformational classes on LP. Have to take it with a small grain of salt while noting his general thrust is directionally correct. This stuff falls into two categories that are getting shorted by the “resume normal life” crowd:

1. Legal liability (colleges or employers). Looks at the asbestos trust which was set up in the 1980s and taking companies like Armstrong Industries down 20+ years later. Combine that with the general lack of leadership among higher ed and, well, you should get the point.
2. The amplification effect. Citing data while acknowledging all the efforts to manage that through quarantining is incongruous. Part of the reason this “hasn’t affected 99% of the population” as described is the efforts across the globe to avoid a worse outcome through limiting interaction. It’s not about the parochial concern about a potential for individual infection, it’s the inability to contact trace those with the virus if we resume normal daily life freely.

Now, is Docs absolutism the only path? No of course not, but these counter arguments don’t value the two items above enough, IMO, and also kind of reek of a self centered desire to have normality for themselves or someone very close to them (like a child).
schools should've closed down and announced that well in advance, inclusive of room and board. hard stop.
this goes well beyond "dealing with an ever changing situation". bait and switch, pure and simple.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Sure but they did what political economy would suggest and what they viewed as best for their institutions rather than their students. Nobody is suggesting that college administrators make the best decisions out there, but we shouldn’t be surprised by the path that’s been taken. Or even outraged when it’s consistent with what is basically expected from them as a group.
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:05 pm Sure but they did what political economy would suggest and what they viewed as best for their institutions rather than their students. Nobody is suggesting that college administrators make the best decisions out there, but we shouldn’t be surprised by the path that’s been taken. Or even outraged when it’s consistent with what is basically expected from them as a group.
really? we shouldn't have a bit of an issue with them outright lying to students and customers? hot take.

the good news for them is, by the time it's all over, there may be too small of a number of them who did it right to have options.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

I don't see how a parent can send their kid to college and think, Everything should be fine. I just don't see it. Most every parent had the option of deferring and... I just don't see it. I'm not saying that the admins don't have some responsibility but, in the end, the parents and students are ultimately responsible.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

wgdsr wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:14 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:05 pm Sure but they did what political economy would suggest and what they viewed as best for their institutions rather than their students. Nobody is suggesting that college administrators make the best decisions out there, but we shouldn’t be surprised by the path that’s been taken. Or even outraged when it’s consistent with what is basically expected from them as a group.
really? we shouldn't have a bit of an issue with them outright lying to students and customers? hot take.

the good news for them is, by the time it's all over, there may be too small of a number of them who did it right to have options.
Are you trying to lure me into a political comment? We’re here now, second guessing time is over. How do we get form here to a lacrosse season in spring based on facts on the ground today?
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Matnum PI wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:49 pm I don't see how a parent can send their kid to college and think, Everything should be fine. I just don't see it. Most every parent had the option of deferring and... I just don't see it. I'm not saying that the admins don't have some responsibility but, in the end, the parents and students are ultimately responsible.
How have parents sold their kids mental health out for 20 or so years to feed their ego vis-a-vis sports and other extra curricular activities? Answer my question and you’ll have yours I suspect.
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:52 pm

Are you trying to lure me into a political comment? We’re here now, second guessing time is over. How do we get form here to a lacrosse season in spring based on facts on the ground today?
say what?
used the word political (or alluded to it) in posts farfromgeneva vs wgdsr:
farfromgeneva - 2
wgdsr - 0

how do we get form here to a lacrosse season? nice pivot, i guess this tangent is over. peace.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Matnum PI wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:49 pm I don't see how a parent can send their kid to college and think, Everything should be fine. I just don't see it. Most every parent had the option of deferring and... I just don't see it. I'm not saying that the admins don't have some responsibility but, in the end, the parents and students are ultimately responsible.
responsible for what, exactly?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

wgdsr wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:02 pm

say what?
farfromgeneva - 2
wgdsr - 0

how do we get form here to a lacrosse season? nice pivot, i guess this tangent is over. peace.
Or alluded to it? Political economy is an economic theory about institutions. Very different than what you are alluding to. Not sure what you meant by tangent over. I was trying to keep this about a lacrosse season and you seem upset by that or think I’m somehow being dishonest?
Last edited by Farfromgeneva on Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:05 pm

say what?
farfromgeneva - 2
wgdsr - 0

Or alluded to it? Political economy is an economic theory about institutions. Very different than what you are alluding to.
sweet. my bad, then? political comment, too? is that 1 or a half? or did you mean political economy comment?
anyway, back to lax season. peace.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:05 pm Not sure what you meant by tangent over. I was trying to keep this about a lacrosse season and you seem upset by that or think I’m somehow being dishonest?
maybe you should go back to my original post on yours just to refresh. haven't followed the thread until whatever 45 min ago for quite a while.
i'm not upset. you declared the discussion should be about getting back to lax in the spring instead and time to bounce.
i merely confirmed that if that's the deal then so it goes & good by me.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Takes two seconds to look back and see how off the rails this has gotten when there’s a whole political section dedicated to crazy talk. Unless one likes to be Donny out of his element from the Big Lebowski.
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:18 pm Takes two seconds to look back and see how off the rails this has gotten when there’s a whole political section dedicated to crazy talk. Unless one likes to be Donny out of his element from the Big Lebowski.
not sure what you are talking about? my only discussion was with a particular comment you made. you moved the discussion. back to the topic. on maybe 3 occasions, i've said fine and good luck.

are you still up for taking shots or something?
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

For whatever follows. The kid getting Corona. The kid being asked to go back home because the school is moving online. etc.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Matnum PI wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:49 pm
For whatever follows. The kid getting Corona. The kid being asked to go back home because the school is moving online. etc.
i don't have many problems with those, especially in the case of schools that lay out that plan.

riddle me this... you're offered a product or service without certain restrictions or contingencies... this is how it's going to go, this is what we're going to do, this is what we expect of you. times and circumstances may change once we get in the soup, so know that. fine.

that'll be (make up a five figure $ #).

fast forward... hey, i know we told you if circumstances changed we may have to flip things around... we also know nothing's changed yet and you'll be on campus soon... but we've decided anyway to do a small fraction of the things we said we would (even though it jeopardizes their safety it'd cost us more money than we'd like), you'll get a small fraction of the deal you were promised, we've got a bunch of new draconian rules we didn't tell you about that will result in drastic actions and blame thrown at you, and we'd like to recruit you to be the enforcer on your classmates bc we've decided not to invest there either. we also plan on putting your student up on conduct charges for any changes we make to the rules that we agree on internally but don't tell anyone about.

oh, btw, your check cleared, too. thank you.

now... you're sure there's no room for some institutional blame? after being given the sales pitch on all the university would try to do, and instead they pull the rug out? to a group that's fairly desperate or at least a bit vulnerable right now? this is all before peeps rolled up on campus. there's been plenty of movement after as a result of the crappy policies and messaging.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”