Orange Duce

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
MDlaxfan76

Re: Orange Duce

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

njbill wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:57 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:32 pm
njbill wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:17 pm The Second Circuit grants Trump a stay.

The court set oral argument on the merits for September 25.

I’m surprised he got a stay. The vagaries of litigation as they say.

https://lawandcrime.com/high-profile/fe ... x-returns/
Seems to me that it makes some sense for them to allow the temporary stay, given that they'll hear and presumably decide the issue on the merits soon (Might have been better if they set the date for next week though). I'd think they already know what they're likely to rule on the merits as the issues have been so fully litigated already, so the stay, while perhaps frustrating, may be a fair procedural ruling to preserve at least the possibility that they could rule with Trump and, thus, release would not have been appropriate.

Or do I misunderstand?
No. I agree.

I haven’t studied the DA’s case(s) against Trump in depth, but as I understand it, one of the key statutes of limitations is five years. If they are focusing on the Stormy Daniels payment, I don’t think that was made until the fall of 2016. Any information relating to that payment would have been included on tax returns filed the following October (Trump always gets extensions). So, at least for this issue, I don’t think the prosecutor is running into any statute issues at the moment.

While the DA has a pretty good argument that he could simply destroy or return any documents produced if Trump ultimately wins, it certainly is the safer approach in ensuring that nothing gets out to stay matters for three weeks.

The stay ruling today was decided by a three judge panel made up of one judge appointed by HW, one by Clinton, and one by Obama.

Let’s assume this panel rules against Trump on the merits following the September 25 oral argument. Let’s assume the decision comes out within a week (although it could certainly take much longer).

Trump could then seek en banc review and a stay from the full Second Circuit. Or he could go straight to the Supreme Court.

The fact that two judges appointed by Democratic presidents were willing to grant a stay today suggests to me that Trump might have some success down the road (or up the judicial ladder) in getting additional stays as long as the statute of limitations is truly not implicated.

Now, the DA could be looking into other charges for which the statute is close to running. I think that could perhaps change the complexion of things.

Then you have Vance’s agreement not to indict Trump while he is president. So what does Vance do if Trump wins reelection and the statute is starting to come up on some of the crimes for which Vance decides to indict him? Sealed indictments? I think they would toll the statute, but I am not sure.
Interesting.
I think they're asking for the prior 8 years of tax returns, so not exclusively focused on Stormy, for sure.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

RedFromMI wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:34 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:18 pm

Shouldn't Cyrus Vance be focused on violent crime in Manhattan?

(also the only thing Trump's returns will show is he isn't as wealthy as he wants you to believe)
White collar crime against the state which may involve a lot of fraud should not get a pass. That much smaller wealth might shrink more if Vance can show fraudulent behavior leading to improperly lowered taxes.

If you don't think Vance already has his tax returns, I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you. He's had them for years. Ask Brook what % of IRS agents are Democratic...it's somewhere north of 100%.

The returns likely show lower income (duh!) than what Trump wants people to think; redacted returns (by law they must be this way for any possible public dissemination, which in itself would be an illegal release of a citizen's tax return) will not show loans from Sberbank, in spite of your fevered dreams.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Peter Brown wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:20 pm

(also the only thing Trump's returns will show is he isn't as wealthy as he wants you to believe)
White collar crime against the state which may involve a lot of fraud should not get a pass. That much smaller wealth might shrink more if Vance can show fraudulent behavior leading to improperly lowered taxes.

If you don't think Vance already has his tax returns, I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you. He's had them for years. Ask Brook what % of IRS agents are Democratic...it's somewhere north of 100%.

The returns likely show lower income (duh!) than what Trump wants people to think; redacted returns (by law they must be this way for any possible public dissemination, which in itself would be an illegal release of a citizen's tax return) will not show loans from Sberbank, in spite of your fevered dreams.
Huh?
Ok, so now you're telling us that the IRS has illegally leaked the returns to Vance because they're all Dems??
Man, you're a partisan jack wagon. Of course, that's not news.

Loans from the Russians would be interesting, of course, but not likely to be related to the tax and bank fraud that Trump is suspected of having committed, per a variety of sources including Cohen.

Vance and his team would be looking for submissions that run contrary to other submissions, say the value or cash flow from a particular asset, overstated for bank loans or understated for tax purposes...that's what Cohen says is Trump's regular practice. Such data would be available not just in the returns but in the various notes and correspondence with the accountant's and the banker's docs.

Of course, there might be other stuff that could be embarrassing but fraud would be the sort of thing the prosecutor is looking to prove out.
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

Peter Brown wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:20 pm

Typical PB BS. Vance has state tax returns, but not federal. Much more information in the latter. You make the (unreasonable) assumption that the IRS would leak the returns to Vance. Don't think so, no matter how hard you scream about it.

As a political tool, the returns would demolish a lot of claims about Trump's wealth, or that he has skipped out on paying taxes. But that is not the exercise here - it is looking for fraud. And the NYT expose of the corrupt company that illegally fed Fred Trump's wealth to his children was definitely fraud. Too long ago for criminal charges, but the state can potentially pursue unpaid taxes.

And given Trump's propensity to play fast and loose with his business, there is a reasonable suspicion there is something illegal to find there. You have Michael Cohen even providing a guide as to one likely avenue to pursue (inflating/deflating valuations to illegally get loans based on the inflated valuations, and lower taxes by lowballing values).
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Peter Brown wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:20 pm Ask Brook what % of IRS agents are Democratic...it's somewhere north of 100%.

If someone asked me, I wouldn't be able to give an informed answer. In the years I worked there, yes, we had a number of Jewish liberals and others who voted Dem. But we had quite a few white suburbanites who loved Reagan despite his hatred for federal workers. It actually would be very interesting to know the political outlook/affiliation of feds nowadays but contrary to your usual mystical beliefs, it is nowhere near 100%.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

'That's When I Hit Record.": Fmr. Melania Trump Advisor On Why She Made Recordings | MSNBC

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/01/styl ... trump.html

Still another tell all book about the White Wash House and its occupiers.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Here is Duce speaking with Eva Braun, trying to low ball the number of unnecessary deaths of innocents on his watch; Eva cuts him off and asks "Are you still having fun?" Tripping over the caskets.

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1300990101334482945

And has Eva had some botox work? The area around her lips doesn't seem to be moving.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Brooklyn wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:41 am 'That's When I Hit Record.": Fmr. Melania Trump Advisor On Why She Made Recordings | MSNBC

Putting aside the salacious stuff, this may actually have some serious legal legs, given ~$60 million missing from the kitty, and various indictments coming down...some before the election. Look for Broidy next, perhaps.
njbill

Post by njbill »

seacoaster wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:45 am Here is Duce speaking with Eva Braun, trying to low ball the number of unnecessary deaths of innocents on his watch; Eva cuts him off and asks "Are you still having fun?" Tripping over the caskets.

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1300990101334482945

And has Eva had some botox work? The area around her lips doesn't seem to be moving.
Eva Braun. :lol:

I’m surprised that the 3 foot putt comment hasn’t gotten more play. To me, that is one of the most disgusting things he has ever said. And the “disgusting comments” list is quite a list.
njbill

Post by njbill »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:45 am
Brooklyn wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:41 am 'That's When I Hit Record.": Fmr. Melania Trump Advisor On Why She Made Recordings | MSNBC

Putting aside the salacious stuff, this may actually have some serious legal legs, given ~$60 million missing from the kitty, and various indictments coming down...some before the election. Look for Broidy next, perhaps.
Steve Bannon said, dang, I should have gotten myself on the inauguration committee.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Brooklyn wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:24 am
Peter Brown wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:20 pm Ask Brook what % of IRS agents are Democratic...it's somewhere north of 100%.

If someone asked me, I wouldn't be able to give an informed answer. In the years I worked there, yes, we had a number of Jewish liberals and others who voted Dem. But we had quite a few white suburbanites who loved Reagan despite his hatred for federal workers. It actually would be very interesting to know the political outlook/affiliation of feds nowadays but contrary to your usual mystical beliefs, it is nowhere near 100%.

Employees of the Department of Justice, which investigated Clinton’s use of a private email server while she was secretary of State, gave Clinton 97 percent of their donations. Trump received $8,756 from DOJ employees compared with $286,797 for Clinton. From IRS employees, Clinton received 94 percent of donations.

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/3 ... n-campaign

Off by 6%.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Good to know there are smart people working in government. :lol:
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

Trump and the soup nazi :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Peter Brown wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:41 pm

Employees of the Department of Justice, which investigated Clinton’s use of a private email server while she was secretary of State, gave Clinton 97 percent of their donations. Trump received $8,756 from DOJ employees compared with $286,797 for Clinton. From IRS employees, Clinton received 94 percent of donations.

Off by 6%.
:lol: :lol: Brooksie still eating cheetos and drinking mountain dew in the basement I see. ;)
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:12 pm

Off by 6%.
:lol: :lol: Brooksie still eating cheetos and drinking mountain dew in the basement I see. ;)

I’m left wondering if Brook (whom I like!) allowed underreported income of 6% to slide by in audits!
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:12 pm

Off by 6%.
As long as they are gourmet cheetos and top shelf mountain dew. Nothing but the best for the brooklyn blimp. :lol:
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Off by 6%.

You are a little confused here, pal. You asked about IRS agents then went on to discuss all employees. I worked among those agents and addressed their views. There are, of course, rank-and-file employees including cleaning staff, entry level clerks, disabled vets, part time seniors, seasonal workers on Social Security, and temps. These folks are low income types so it does not come as a surprise that they would support the more patriotic Dems. As for the IRS agents that you mentioned at first, the percentage of those who love your hero tRUMP is likelier to be a bit higher since most of them are privileged suburbanites like yourself. But I cannot say with any degree of accuracy. Try again.

Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Brooklyn wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:38 pm

Off by 6%.
You are a little confused here, pal. You asked about IRS agents then went on to discuss all employees. I worked among those agents and addressed their views. There are, of course, rank-and-file employees including cleaning staff, entry level clerks, disabled vets, part time seniors, seasonal workers on Social Security, and temps. These folks are low income types so it does not come as a surprise that they would support the more patriotic Dems. As for the IRS agents that you mentioned at first, the percentage of those who love your hero tRUMP is likelier to be a bit higher since most of them are privileged suburbanites like yourself. But I cannot say with any degree of accuracy. Try again.

But I cannot say with any degree of accuracy.
How come I'm never allowed to say this to your former employer!??!!?

:lol: :lol:
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Peter Brown wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:42 pm
How come I'm never allowed to say this to your former employer!??!!?

:lol: :lol:

LOL.

Still grieving because Jesus never answers your prayers? Or hungup because "Democrats upset people aren’t dying" ? Under the delusionalism that "Not one national Democrat has decried the violence....the silence is deafening." Or are you still bemoaning John Thompson's campaign threats as an example of Dem party violence while you and your pal 6' ignored tRUMP's promise to pay for the legal costs of those who attacked peaceful protesters?

CU77

Post by CU77 »

Trump is now promising to end the lawlessness that he promised to end four years ago

One month before the 2016 election, then-candidate Donald Trump issued a dire warning.

“We are a divided nation, and each week it seems we’re getting more and more divided, with race riots in our streets on a monthly basis,” Trump told rallygoers on Oct. 3, 2016. “This is not the America that was handed down to us, and it’s not the America we want given to our children. But this is the America we will have if we don’t change our leadership immediately.”

Nearly four years later, Trump is citing ongoing “lawlessness” for why Americans should not change the country’s leadership, mirroring much of the rhetoric he routinely used in 2016.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... -years-ago

:lol:

Return to “POLITICS”