All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 70

wgdsr

Re: All things Chinese CoronaVirus

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:41 pm
wgdsr wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:05 pm
youthathletics wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:51 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:08 pm
youthathletics wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:54 pm
ggait wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:36 pm
Does your reply not advocate herd immunity at ~20% when mentioning NY, NJ, France, Italy, Spain, UK, Sweden?
Not sure I'm following you. But I don't think anyplace has herd immunity.

I think there are places where they have bent the curve through serious prolonged SD (and testing, tracing). And places that have not done that.
You call it via SD, testing, tracing....some using all the current and historical virus data call it anticipated and expected. We have to be careful discussing that this CV-19 is serious, but it also appears to running its course like many other viruses.
no, most such pandemics have multiple waves, they don't just disappear. There's no evidence that won't be the case with COVID...it has some particularly nasty characteristics.

and we do see some evidence of new outbreaks in regions that had a first wave...if SD relaxes too much.

Where does this wishful thinking come from?
It comes from continued optimism and history that shows we will improvise, adapt, and overcome. We are a smart, can do people. As you often say “ we CAN, walk and chew gum” instead of always poo-pooing everything based on who posts it, I prefer to believe we will find a way.

Not blindly following what is spoon fed us on tv, I prefer to try and absorb bits from everywhere. Couple that with faith that others smarter than each of us are contributing for the greater good of ALL circumstances.

We have been told to follow the science, flatten the curve, last I checked, the curve has essentially flattened and Fauci on Kaiser news, is optimistic vaccine trials may end early if trails are a succesjs.
just go with these guys, ya. they know everything.
Someone said we won’t figure this out? You got a link? Flatten the curve meant it was over? We have a lot of people that have not cracked a microbiology book that know the science is wrong. I would love for someone who hasn’t spent a day doing what you do for a living to tell you that you are wrong about your job based on hope.

You know what is better than hope in finance? A good structure. American ingenuity helps owners figure it out but I want a rational cap structure and a strong document....and while I am at it, I want good legal counsel..not someone telling me it will work out because we are Americans.
you're cherry picking. those 2 items are not all that he said, and he was prodded on one of them. i'm trying to remain optimistic, too. and have a lot more faith in our people than our politicians to "solve" it bf the scientists do.

he mentioned that he gets bits from everywhere.

he mentioned e-skeptic -- last time i remember him bringing that up he was roasted by some of the several dozen ready to jump and eat... not discuss. all good, it's a lax forum, though i wish it was different. so we all partake in taking shots.

he didn't say flatten the curve meant it was over, and he mentioned that taking the entirety in of circumstances in making decisions. which i'm pretty sure everyone should agree with.

and ftr, the science isn't settled. on about anything.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

wgdsr wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:20 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:41 pm
wgdsr wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:05 pm
Does your reply not advocate herd immunity at ~20% when mentioning NY, NJ, France, Italy, Spain, UK, Sweden?

I think there are places where they have bent the curve through serious prolonged SD (and testing, tracing). And places that have not done that.
You call it via SD, testing, tracing....some using all the current and historical virus data call it anticipated and expected. We have to be careful discussing that this CV-19 is serious, but it also appears to running its course like many other viruses.
no, most such pandemics have multiple waves, they don't just disappear. There's no evidence that won't be the case with COVID...it has some particularly nasty characteristics.

and we do see some evidence of new outbreaks in regions that had a first wave...if SD relaxes too much.

It comes from continued optimism and history that shows we will improvise, adapt, and overcome. We are a smart, can do people. As you often say “ we CAN, walk and chew gum” instead of always poo-pooing everything based on who posts it, I prefer to believe we will find a way.

Not blindly following what is spoon fed us on tv, I prefer to try and absorb bits from everywhere. Couple that with faith that others smarter than each of us are contributing for the greater good of ALL circumstances.

We have been told to follow the science, flatten the curve, last I checked, the curve has essentially flattened and Fauci on Kaiser news, is optimistic vaccine trials may end early if trails are a succesjs.
just go with these guys, ya. they know everything.
Someone said we won’t figure this out? You got a link? Flatten the curve meant it was over? We have a lot of people that have not cracked a microbiology book that know the science is wrong. I would love for someone who hasn’t spent a day doing what you do for a living to tell you that you are wrong about your job based on hope.

You know what is better than hope in finance? A good structure. American ingenuity helps owners figure it out but I want a rational cap structure and a strong document....and while I am at it, I want good legal counsel..not someone telling me it will work out because we are Americans.
you're cherry picking. those 2 items are not all that he said, and he was prodded on one of them. i'm trying to remain optimistic, too. and have a lot more faith in our people than our politicians to "solve" it bf the scientists do.

he mentioned that he gets bits from everywhere.

he mentioned e-skeptic -- last time i remember him bringing that up he was roasted by some of the several dozen ready to jump and eat... not discuss. all good, it's a lax forum, though i wish it was different. so we all partake in taking shots.

he didn't say flatten the curve meant it was over, and he mentioned that taking the entirety in of circumstances in making decisions. which i'm pretty sure everyone should agree with.

and ftr, the science isn't settled. on about anything.
There is “no” settled Covid-19 science? Really? Or all the science isn’t settled?...my comments are short because the game is on.

Also, who said we won’t figure the virus out?
“I wish you would!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

what science is settled?
and yeah, who said we won't figure it out?
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:30 pm what science is settled?
This is all wrong

An infected person can’t contaminate another person. A mask doesn’t help at all.
“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

only 6% of the people listed as dying from COVID-19 actually died from COVID-19!!! It’s all lies!!!

Hillary, Bill Gates, George Soros and Obama are behind it!!!
“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

https://thenextweb.com/syndication/2020 ... ronavirus/

“Some” of the things we don’t know.
“I wish you would!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:34 pm
This is all wrong

An infected person can’t contaminate another person. A mask doesn’t help at all.
who has said those things? did youth just say that?

(if he said it in times prior, i didn't pick up on it. but i didn't see him do it today fo sho)
Typical Lax Dad

This guy is on to something

We were foolish to lockdown....drinking at a bar is essential!!
“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:52 pm
This is all wrong

(if he said it in times prior, i didn't pick up on it. but i didn't see him do it today fo sho)
You asked what science was settled
“I wish you would!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:54 pm
This is all wrong

well, you said simply "masks".
so you know i think you missed there.
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:56 pm
This is all wrong

There is plenty of settled science regarding the virus but not all of the science is settled. Not sure of how many areas in science where it is completely settled. I believe some aspects of relativity are being questioned.
Last edited by Typical Lax Dad on Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

“I wish you would!”
holmes435

Post by holmes435 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:54 pm You asked what science was settled
Gravity is just a theory. Along with the Earth being round. Teach the controversy as the science there is not settled.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

We have been told to follow the science, flatten the curve, last I checked, the curve has essentially flattened and Fauci on Kaiser news, is optimistic vaccine trials may end early if trails are a success.
I enthusiastically agree with much of this post, youth.

You lose me at the end with the notion that the curve is sufficiently flattened that we can take the foot off the pedal. Quite the opposite. The virus incidence in the US remains very high, and relinquishing pressure on it would be catastrophic.

But as I've many, many times said, if we had universal adherence to the common sense tactics of SD, masks, test, trace, and isolate, we can indeed do most work and much play. Not all but a far cry from total lockdown.

But we don't have universal adherence, so we're going to keep bouncing along at the 1000 a day sort of pace, unless it gets much, much worse due to the school gamble proving to be a mistake and the virus blooms are huge again...hope that's not the case, but it's only Sept 1.

Re Fauci, I don't see him expressing optimism that there will be sufficient evidence that any of the vaccines will be so marvelously successful that the trials should end early. He appears to be saying, only, that it's theoretically possible to end a trial early IF the data comes in overwhelmingly successful...but none of the credible folks is actually predicting that to be the case with the early vaccines. Fauci does appear to think that we may have an at least workable vaccine, albeit with multiple vaccinations required, by first or second Q of 2021. He thinks a higher effectiveness vaccine could be ready later in the year.

I hope he's right, as any and all of that would be very good news.

Painfully, we're seeing huge pushback from the medical community re Hahn at FDA getting in line with the premature approval of blood plasma, with an enormously misleading, and mistaken, statement by FDA head Hahn in the process. And the NIH is now blowing the whistle on it.

This "wishful thinking" approach, largely for a Trumpian purpose, is very, very dangerous.

However, I agree that we have smart folks working very, very hard on solutions. And I "believe" and have "faith in" their ultimate success.
Typical Lax Dad

One of our peers.

MAGA
“I wish you would!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:00 pm
This is all wrong

There is plenty of settled science regarding the virus but not all of the science is settled. Not sure of how many areas in science where it is completely settled. I believe some aspects of relativity are being questioned.
and one of those, to me at least, is how deep infection is. which relates to "immunity". at least for now. immunity also being something which isn't "settled". wasn't that the subject?
second waves then being brought up from previous pandemics. i hope they're not settled, too? or at least not as far along as gravity.

all of this stuff, again at least to me, is instructional and to inform decisions and opinions and predictive thought on where we may be going.
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:44 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:00 pm
This is all wrong

and one of those, to me at least, is how deep infection is. which relates to "immunity". at least for now. immunity also being something which isn't "settled". wasn't that the subject?
second waves then being brought up from previous pandemics. i hope they're not settled, too? or at least not as far along as gravity.

all of this stuff, again at least to me, is instructional and to inform decisions and opinions and predictive thought on where we may be going.
You asked which science (related to Covid) was settled. I gave some simple examples. It is a novel coronavirus and the name itself implies there is a lot to learn. It doesn’t mean we have not learned anything. The question of immunity will eventually be answered. It won’t go unanswered because the scientists don’t know anything (not your claim). Some people here have suggested that Fauci is not too smart. I doubt anyone here has attained Fauci’s status in their own profession....yet he is mocked.
Last edited by Typical Lax Dad on Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
“I wish you would!”
njbill

Post by njbill »

holmes435 wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:05 pm Gravity is just a theory.
As I have gotten older, I have come to believe that gravity might be more than just a theory. :)
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."

Return to “POLITICS”