A10 Conference

D1 Womens Lacrosse
A10WLaxFan

Re: 2020 A10 Conference

Post by A10WLaxFan »

Transitional time for D! Women's Lacrosse in the DC area.
Previously, AU had it's troubles, and is still working with an interim head coach.
Yesterday, Mason had a post on the NCAA job website for their head coaching job.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

A10WLaxFan wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:34 am Transitional time for D! Women's Lacrosse in the DC area.
Previously, AU had it's troubles, and is still working with an interim head coach.
Yesterday, Mason had a post on the NCAA job website for their head coaching job.
The coach at GMU had told the University and the team that she was not coming back before the season started. They have some good assistants, don't know if they will look at them.

AU had a good start, but was about to run into a buzzsaw of the PL schedule. I am curious who will get that job as the interim announced she is not a full time solution.
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

Dr. Tact wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:39 am
A10WLaxFan wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:34 am Transitional time for D! Women's Lacrosse in the DC area.
The coach at GMU had told the University and the team that she was not coming back before the season started. They have some good assistants, don't know if they will look at them.

AU had a good start, but was about to run into a buzzsaw of the PL schedule. I am curious who will get that job as the interim announced she is not a full time solution.
buzzsaw is putting it lightly - AU's strength of schedule was 115th out of 118 teams - not to take anything away but not sure they would have won another game this year...going to be tough next year if they play a tougher out of conference schedule.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

8meterPA wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:41 pm
Dr. Tact wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:39 am

buzzsaw is putting it lightly - AU's strength of schedule was 115th out of 118 teams - not to take anything away but not sure they would have won another game this year...going to be tough next year if they play a tougher out of conference schedule.
AU took a page out of John Sung's book at VT. Slick marketing telling a Rosy story that was perfect up until game 8.....good on ya Eagles :D

https://spark.adobe.com/page/Ajko399gvi767/
HVGuy

Post by HVGuy »

Rumour that A10 is having only local play next year - including conference. No hotels, plane trips, etc. as cost cutting measure. Think of it running like a Division 3 conference next year. Who would UMASS, Duquesne & St. Bonaventure Play?
SPIDERLAXFAN

Post by SPIDERLAXFAN »

That would certainly make things interesting. For Richmond to not play UMass would be terrible, but then again it would allow Richmond to strengthen its non conference schedule. Great teams just a bus ride away... Duke, UNC, Loyola, Hopkins, Maryland, High Point, VT, JMU, and the list goes on.
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

HVGuy wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 9:15 am Rumour that A10 is having only local play next year - including conference. No hotels, plane trips, etc. as cost cutting measure. Think of it running like a Division 3 conference next year. Who would UMASS, Duquesne & St. Bonaventure Play?
I can't believe that - it's 9 months away! So I guess no fall ball or fall practice then either?
SPIDERLAXFAN

Post by SPIDERLAXFAN »

I agree, it’s seems a bit premature.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Premature, maybe, if it is about the virus. Maybe not premature if it is about $$. Ain’t gonna be any more money rolling in between now and next spring.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

--sad--

:mrgreen:
SPIDERLAXFAN

Post by SPIDERLAXFAN »

Well there is some truth to the rumors. 25% fewer games and only 4 team go to the conference championship. Ugh!

https://www.providencejournal.com/sport ... ate=ampart
laxfan22

Post by laxfan22 »

I'm guessing this has noting to do with Covid health issues, and it's about reducing the costly flights and hotel stays for non-revenues. I think it makes a lot of sense too
SPIDERLAXFAN

Post by SPIDERLAXFAN »

Ok so here’s a question for all. If the A10 cuts out 25% of the conference schedule, will schools be able to compensate with more out of conference games?
laxfan22

Post by laxfan22 »

SPIDERLAXFAN wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 5:50 pm Ok so here’s a question for all. If the A10 cuts out 25% of the conference schedule, will schools be able to compensate with more out of conference games?
I'd sure hope so. I'd imagine it would be up to the school (and assuming other schools/conferences are doing the same thing) - but i'd suspect most schools will look locally. I mean, as a Maryland fan, while i like being in the B10, does it makes sense to send field hockey to Nebraska or volleyball to Minnesota? We have enough schools locally where those games can be played without incurring the cost of a 30 person traveling party that includes flights and hotel accommodations.
laxagainsthumanity

Post by laxagainsthumanity »

If no flights or hotels are available, here's what schedules will look like:

1) home or away games with opponents within a ~2-hour drive time radius (day trips)
2) home games with opponents within a ~4-hour (or maybe even 5 or 6) drive time radius, who are able to afford overnight accommodations (a bus trip is still cheaper than a flight)
3) home games vs non-local opponents who are looking to play two games in one trip

Davidson, St. Bonnie's and Duquesne might all struggle to varying degrees. Others will be fine. If teams are able to compensate for lost in-conference games with out-of-conference games, Richmond and UMass could both even use this to their advantage.

Although, Richmond now finds themselves in a tough spot. Top teams aren't going to want to play them because Richmond's perceived ability may not match their actual ability. A win vs the Spiders may not look as good as it is, and a loss may look worse than it is. So for example, take Duke—a team for whom every single result really matters as they work their way back to NCAAs. Why would they schedule Richmond when they could schedule a team like Penn, where a win would be obviously meaningful and a loss won't be looked at unfavorably? Same position Elon and High Point were in a few years back. It's just the nature of climbing the rankings in a sport where the status quo is hard to change. I would expect this to be a serious hurdle for Richmond in 2021.
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

wondering what domino will drop next in terms of similar conference announcements?
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

With schedules probably set a year in advance, how do you find plug in teams? Do the pac 12 version of Home and away?
aubartolomei

Post by aubartolomei »

as a Maryland fan, while i like being in the B10, does it makes sense to send field hockey to Nebraska
Generally agree with what youre saying, but for the sake of accuracy, Nebraska doesnt have a fhockey team.

That being said, I would expect changes like these to be the norm across the board as opposed to the exception for the smaller sports, especially in the mid majors. With a cancelled march madness and other spring sports, the ncaa distribution to member institutions was pretty severely cut. That, and a number of other budget things, are going to cause a lot of schools to be operating on 20%+ cut in budgets, and playing more regional games is one way to help that cause.
SPIDERLAXFAN

Re: 2021 A10 Conference

Post by SPIDERLAXFAN »

To all A10 fans, Hope all enjoyed their crazy summer and stayed safe and healthy. With the girls back at school, I was trying to get a handle on how many seniors took advantage of their 5th year options to remain at school. Richmond has 3 senior’s coming back... Ostrick (M), Williams (A), and Gianforte (G). I know things are not ideal right now, but I think it’s safe to say we are all hoping that we have a Spring season and parents will be able to spectate. All the best SLF
Last edited by SPIDERLAXFAN on Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
8meterPA

Re: 2021 A10 Conference

Post by 8meterPA »

Richmond was having a fantastic season in 2020 - breakout win against UVA - look forward to watching them in 2021. Looks like they have a big incoming freshmen class, maybe sneak into top 10 this year?

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”