The Nation's Financial Condition

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
MDlaxfan76

Re: The Nation's Financial Condition

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

HooDat wrote:
MDlaxfan76 wrote:How do you feel about applying that to Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid...and the interest on debt?

As the bank robber said, "because that's where the money is".
Social Security is easy (or it would have been easy in the 1980's when Charles Krauthammer was calling for this easy fix): we need to increase the eligibility age. When they set 64 as the age at which you could claim social security benefits, the average life expectancy was 62. Yes that is right, social security was a safety net for those who had prudently saved for retirement and had the misfortune of living longer than was prudently expected. If we had begun an easing in of extending out the eligibility age in the 80's when people like Krauthammer were calling for it, we would be looking at eligibility ages in the 70's now - and people could have prepared accordingly. The AARP fought the idea hard. Which is stupid because the folks who would have been impacted were in their 20's at the time and welcomed the concept. But the AARP is in the BUSINESS of collecting dues checks from retired people. You can't have people not retiring until they are in their 70's or you miss all those years of collecting those checks... bang1 The solution is still there, but we have to start enacting it now so people in their 20's and 30's can plan.

Medicare and Medicaid are harder - because I believe that the singularly most important thing a society can do is take care of its sick. We owe that to each other. We can argue for days about the best way to deliver that healthcare, but I believe that access to healthcare should be a right - above education, roads and even law enforcement. That is quite simply where we should be spending our tax dollars - the debate is about how. And I would say that while the concept of healthcare for all should be a constant, the method of delivering that healthcare should be reviewed on a fairly regular basis in order to weed out waste, sloth, and corruption. Look no further than the VA for a prime example.

just my thoughts....
Thanks, I pretty much agree except that I believe real conservatives would do well to analyze how health care costs can actually be reduced through much heavier emphasis on prevention and behavioral science. Unfortunately, many 'conservatives' have painted themselves in such opposition to government that they are unable to actually support solutions.

As I said, that's where the real money is. And you missed the interest on the debt. Which is going up, both principal and interest rate.

This stuff dwarfs what faux conservatives whine about.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Today the Federal Debt is about $21,873,194,423,164.45

https://www.usgovernmentdebt.us/

Up to just a short while ago, right wingers used to whine and rattle about the debt. Suddenly, they have gone silent over it. Gee, I wonder why.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

If you didn't move to cash a few weeks ago,you are,in the short term,f*c*ed.DJ down 9%,NASDAQ 9.5 %. Next week is a short week on Wall Street.Just a few more trading days in 2018.Eager to see if 2018 will finish below the 1931 horror show.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

wahoomurf wrote:If you didn't move to cash a few weeks ago,you are,in the short term,f*c*ed.
A buy signal appears on fanlax!
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

Trump Dump is over? I wouldn’t bet on it. Financial Stable Genius Peter Navarro came out of the WH and said yesterday the China tariffs situation was not improving. Seems nobody knows how to make a deal. And Trump’s talking about firing the new Fed Chief. In the meantime Trump stays in DC and America doesn’t waste money on his fleet of golf carts. Melania and Barron have gone ahead without him. They don’t care about a wall. The Fox News shutdown proceeds.
“I don’t take responsibility at all.” —Donald J Trump
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Wall Street = worse week since Bush's Great Recession

But wait -

Blame Dems!
Blame Libs!
Blame Obama!
Blame Soros!
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

https://www.rollcall.com/news/policy/po ... iscal-doom With all of the sheepdip flying around I almost forgot about the good old USPS. Nothing against the people that work at the postal services but their upper level federal leadership has done a loathsome job of taking care of business. No problem though, when the fit hits the shan the trusty US taxpayer will be there to bail them out... ;)
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

cradleandshoot wrote:https://www.rollcall.com/news/policy/po ... iscal-doom With all of the sheepdip flying around I almost forgot about the good old USPS. Nothing against the people that work at the postal services but their upper level federal leadership has done a loathsome job of taking care of business. No problem though, when the fit hits the shan the trusty US taxpayer will be there to bail them out... ;)
So, cradle, the GOP has been in charge of Congress for the past 8 years, with full oversight and budgetary control. Ok, Obama ran the Administration. But how is Trump doing, again with 100% control of Congress?

Is he hiring all the best people? Bringing efficiency and effectiveness to the USPS?

Or just closing offices, reducing service? And threatening Amazon (a profitable customer which can simply move to an alternative) ?
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

MDlaxfan76 wrote:
cradleandshoot wrote:https://www.rollcall.com/news/policy/po ... iscal-doom With all of the sheepdip flying around I almost forgot about the good old USPS. Nothing against the people that work at the postal services but their upper level federal leadership has done a loathsome job of taking care of business. No problem though, when the fit hits the shan the trusty US taxpayer will be there to bail them out... ;)
So, cradle, the GOP has been in charge of Congress for the past 8 years, with full oversight and budgetary control. Ok, Obama ran the Administration. But how is Trump doing, again with 100% control of Congress?

Is he hiring all the best people? Bringing efficiency and effectiveness to the USPS?

Or just closing offices, reducing service? And threatening Amazon (a profitable customer which can simply move to an alternative) ?
Not to defend Trump but what has either party accomplished that has been in control of congress in the last 20 years? Their most important task is to pass a budget on time every year. Neither party can make that happen. Continuing resolutions are the security blankets of cowards. Republicans being in control means nothing to me. Republicans are too afraid of controversy and being criticized in the MM to try and do anything. very soon the Democrats will be in charge of the budget, do you think they will have a plan to pass a budget? Love em or hate em the Democrats don't give a rats rear end about anything but pushing through their agenda. They know what to do when they are in power. Except for the fact they suck at spending money just like the Republicans BTW... what does this have to do with the train wreck that is the US postal service? They were effed up long before Trump came in to the office. Not that Trump can fix the USPS... that will come when the gubmint reaches in to the taxpayers pocket to bail them out. cya1
Bob Ross:
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... -1-million

The Fed is costing Trump real money. Bigly.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

...and so is staying Afghanistan, according to Rand Paul on CNN, to the tune of 50 billion a year. https://twitter.com/CNNSotu/status/1076847867623555072 .
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

youthathletics wrote:...and so is staying Afghanistan, according to Rand Paul on CNN, to the tune of 50 billion a year. https://twitter.com/CNNSotu/status/1076847867623555072 .
You could really subsidize the cost of public colleges and trade schools with that kind of money.
“I wish you would!”
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

Trump and Mnuchin are not calming the markets.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Typical Lax Dad wrote:
youthathletics wrote:...and so is staying Afghanistan, according to Rand Paul on CNN, to the tune of 50 billion a year. https://twitter.com/CNNSotu/status/1076847867623555072 .
You could really subsidize the cost of public colleges and trade schools with that kind of money.
Agreed, 5 billion for a wall, subtracted from 50 Billion/yr in Afghanistan, leaves 45 Billion to forgo student loans and pump into newer Trade schools that focus on things like AI, robotics, and higher technology.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Typical Lax Dad

youthathletics wrote:
Typical Lax Dad wrote:
Agreed, 5 billion for a wall, subtracted from 50 Billion/yr in Afghanistan, leaves 45 Billion to forgo student loans and pump into newer Trade schools that focus on things like AI, robotics, and higher technology.
Close down all the colleges too!
“I wish you would!”
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

:lol: Merry Christmas Capt. Sarcasm...Merry Christmas.
~Livy

cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Typical Lax Dad wrote:
youthathletics wrote:
Typical Lax Dad wrote:
If you are talking about those bastions of FLP indoctrination then you might be on to something. :idea: The country could start by shutting the doors on Berkley and see what happens from there. To appease all the offended students each one could be given a government supplied surfboard and a case of sunscreen to help occupy their downtime while they regroup. The deal could even be sweetened to provide several food trucks at the beach to provide free fish tacos and lemonade. :lol: I know my opinion won't be popular here but how many of you out there have actually eaten a fish taco? icon_puke
Bob Ross:
Typical Lax Dad

cradleandshoot wrote:
Typical Lax Dad wrote:
youthathletics wrote:
Typical Lax Dad wrote:
If you are talking about those bastions of FLP indoctrination then you might be on to something. :idea: The country could start by shutting the doors on Berkley and see what happens from there. To appease all the offended students each one could be given a government supplied surfboard and a case of sunscreen to help occupy their downtime while they regroup. The deal could even be sweetened to provide several food trucks at the beach to provide free fish tacos and lemonade. :lol: I know my opinion won't be popular here but how many of you out there have actually eaten a fish taco? icon_puke
Shut them all down.... worthless. Everyone should just pursue a trade, law enforcement or medicine and be done with it. A college degree is crap. Nobody gets a job and everyone that comes out is saddled with debt. It’s just another racket. And instead of the wall, why not land mines on the US side of the border. It’s more cost effective. After a few bouncing Bettys those hobos and dirty people from south of the border will think twice. Post signs... “Land Mines....you and your strollers will be BLOWED UP”
“I wish you would!”
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Typical Lax Dad wrote:.you and your strollers will be BLOWED UP
Blown ;)

I do like craddles idea....reminds me of this scene.

~Livy

Typical Lax Dad

cradleandshoot wrote:
Typical Lax Dad wrote:
youthathletics wrote:
Typical Lax Dad wrote:
Berkeley is a joke: https://www.berkeley.edu/about/history-discoveries
“I wish you would!”

Return to “POLITICS”