Is a 2021 season going to happen?

D1 Mens Lacrosse
SCLaxAttack

Re: Is a 2021 season going to happen?

Post by SCLaxAttack »

Some of you may be interested in how one D1 school and lacrosse team has attempted to modify behavior to get through this. This email went out Monday:

Dear Siena Men's Lacrosse Alumni,

I hope this email finds you well. The fall semester has officially begun and the team is back on campus. I can’t explain how great it is to see the campus active again. There are many new rules and protocols that have been put in place to allow us to practice this fall. It will definitely be a different fall semester, but returning to campus has been our goal since March and we finally made it.

With all of our safety measures in place, we unfortunately will not be able to have any competitions this fall, as well as our annual Alumni game. Because of this, we have decided to postpone our Alumni Weekend and Alumni Golf Outing to a date to be determined later in the spring. I know many of you look forward to Alumni weekend and I hope we can make it a special event.

As the semester gets underway, our focus will be on adjusting to the “new normal” way of doing things on campus. The team will have to go through daily health screenings and temperature checks, as well as stay on a strict schedule to make sure we get guys in and out of the locker room to avoid room capacity restrictions. We will still do most of our team meetings on Zoom and hold our film review and break down virtually. We currently have the team broken up into five groups. The groups (9 people) allow us to stay organized and compliant with the state's Covid protocol. One positive from these new rules is that we will get to focus on player development. We will make the most of the time we have together this fall; and will focus on what we can control. I have no doubt that our efforts will pay off in the classroom and on the field.

Thank you for your continued support.

Stay safe!

All the best,
Liam Gleason
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

SCLaxAttack wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:17 am Some of you may be interested in how one D1 school and lacrosse team has attempted to modify behavior to get through this.
Similar to what Navy is doing.....https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... ther/56797
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
molo

Post by molo »

Towson just shut down after originally planning to go live.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Looking to the canary in the mine, college football ... things aren’t looking good. To use another analogy, college football is looking more and more like the Dothraki charging the army of the dead. The results will be disastrous.

The ACC, Big 12, and SEC seasons haven’t begun yet, but already Notre Dame has 11 players with COVID-19 and Alabama has over a thousand infections on campus.

https://www.ndinsider.com/football/two- ... debdb.html

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2 ... d-updates/

Meanwhile, college lacrosse is waiting inside the castle walls. Don’t see Arya Stark anywhere around.

This is not going to end well.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Another major college football team is struggling, with Auburn having gone four days without practice due to positive COVID-19 tests.

https://www.al.com/auburnfootball/2020/ ... esday.html

What would happen if Auburn skips four consecutive practices during the actual season?

This is getting really stupid. The college football season needs to end now.

DocBarrister :?
@DocBarrister
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

DocBarrister wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:47 am Another major college football team is struggling, with Auburn having gone four days without practice due to positive COVID-19 tests.

What would happen if Auburn skips four consecutive practices during the actual season?

Americans have lost their collective minds.
“I wish you would!”
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

DocBarrister wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:47 am Another major college football team is struggling, with Auburn having gone four days without practice due to positive COVID-19 tests.

In my experience, when you tell your football coach that you have Orgo lab tomorrow afternoon and need to skip practice, he says, "I hope you get your purity and yield."

If Auburn wanted to, they could field a football team as good as Hopkins.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
Typical Lax Dad

44WeWantMore wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:10 pm

In my experience, when you tell your football coach that you have Orgo lab tomorrow afternoon and need to skip practice, he says, "I hope you get your purity and yield."

If Auburn wanted to, they could field a football team as good as Hopkins.
At Auburn, girls excite guys. At Hopkins, they excite gels.
“I wish you would!”
Unknown Participant

Post by Unknown Participant »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:58 am

You see TLD, DocBarrister just parrots the CNN/MSNBC/ABC, etc. line. After Nov. 3, it will be business as usual. I have no skin in the game re. Hopkins, and I enjoy the vibrancy, give and take and knowledge of this particular board, plus its voluminous content, but DocB is a PIA w/his pompous, all knowing, left-wing commentary political and otherwise. FTG. I assume he has made his money and is safe and secure. So F the rest of us that would really like to get back to work like we have the potential to do so we can live and fund our retirements and kids' college educations. To say nothing of our kids returning to the normalcy that DocB had when he attended JHU. You know, studying, playing lax, partying, chasing skirts, etc.

I will give myself a 1-3 day penalty.

Best,
Typical Lax Dad

Unknown Participant wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:31 pm

You see TLD, DocBarrister just parrots the CNN/MSNBC/ABC, etc. line. After Nov. 3, it will be business as usual. I have no skin in the game re. Hopkins, and I enjoy the vibrancy, give and take and knowledge of this particular board, plus its voluminous content, but DocB is a PIA w/his pompous, all knowing, left-wing commentary political and otherwise. FTG. I assume he has made and his money and is safe and secure. So F the rest of us that would really like to get back to work like we have the potential to do so we can live and fund our retirements and kids' college educations. To say nothing of our kids returning to the normalcy that DocB had when he attended JHU. You know, studying, playing lax, partying, chasing skirts, etc.

Best,
My wife is a college professor. College sports is a low priority in the scheme of things. I feel bad for athletes but unfortunately it’s a global pandemic. Fortunately my kid’s college playing days are over so I don’t have that dilemma or pressure. My daughter is back on her college campus and I hope she is able to stay there. If not seeing college sports increase her likelihood of having some semblance of a college experience I will suck it up. I was headed to the OSU vs Michigan game this year. Maybe next year. It sucks but everyone around the planet is dealing with it.
“I wish you would!”
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:42 pm

You see TLD, DocBarrister just parrots the CNN/MSNBC/ABC, etc. line. After Nov. 3, it will be business as usual. I have no skin in the game re. Hopkins, and I enjoy the vibrancy, give and take and knowledge of this particular board, plus its voluminous content, but DocB is a PIA w/his pompous, all knowing, left-wing commentary political and otherwise. FTG. I assume he has made and his money and is safe and secure. So F the rest of us that would really like to get back to work like we have the potential to do so we can live and fund our retirements and kids' college educations. To say nothing of our kids returning to the normalcy that DocB had when he attended JHU. You know, studying, playing lax, partying, chasing skirts, etc.

Best,
My wife is a college professor. College sports is a low priority in the scheme of things. I feel bad for athletes but unfortunately it’s a global pandemic. Fortunately my kid’s college playing days are over so I don’t have that dilemma or pressure. My daughter is back on her college campus and I hope she is able to stay there. If not seeing college sports increase her likelihood of having some semblance of a college experience I will suck it up. I was headed to the OSU vs Michigan game this year. Maybe next year. It sucks but everyone around the planet is dealing with it.
I personally do not think having sports will do much, if anything, to decrease the likelihood of her being able to stay on campus. Athletes want to play. When you are talking about football players at Alabama, they REALLY want to play because doing so will increase the chance of them going pro and making millions. They know that if COVID sweeps through their team the season will be shut down. Will some of them be college idiots and still go to parties and bars and increase their risk of getting infected? Absolutely yes. However, as long as you are not talking about having everyone remote, I firmly believe that most athletes will make more of an effort to distance/isolate themselves with the carrot of playing hanging in front of them than they would otherwise. In other words, if you have the Alabama team on campus with the rest of the students but NOT playing, I would bet more of them get infected than if they are playing. The options aren't "play sports, irresponsible risk due to athletes being in close proximity to each other" vs "not play sports, athletes safely distanced from other students". No sports, MORE partying, less caring about protocols because less to lose. Furthermore, if they are playing and catch it a party, it will be detected rapidly as they will have frequent, full team screening. If they catch it a party and aren't playing (and, again, I think they are more likely to be irresponsibly partying if the season is cancelled) then they will be much more likely to spread it around campus as no one would be screening them.
Last edited by pcowlax on Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Unknown Participant

Best,
I understand, but my son got into an elite academic school after 4 years of concerted hard work in HS plus great board scores. He then walked on to a top-tier lacrosse program after MIT, where he was "recruited", did not admit him. The team he is on is truly a family, and my son has worked extremely hard to be admitted to that family. To discard all that due to a virus that is fatal to a tiny percentage of the population, primarily the old and unwell, when there is minimal risk to the 18-22 demographic makes almost no sense. The insanity has gone on long enough.

Now I will serve my penalty.

[edited]: and is see Pcowlax has edited his respone re. Docb.
Typical Lax Dad

pcowlax wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:25 pm

Best,
I personally do not think having sports will do much, if anything, to decrease the likelihood of her being able to stay on campus. Athletes want to play. When you are talking about football players at Alabama, they REALLY want to play because doing so will increase the chance of them going pro and making millions. They know that if COVID sweeps through their team the season will be shut down. Will some of them be college idiots and still go to parties and bars and increase their risk of getting infected? Absolutely yes. However, as long as you are not talking about having everyone remote, I firmly believe that most athletes will make more of an effort to distance/isolate themselves with the carrot of playing hanging in front of them than they would otherwise. In other words, if you have the Alabama team on campus with the rest of the students but NOT playing, I would bet more of them get infected than if they are playing. The options aren't "play sports, irresponsible risk due to athletes being in close proximity to each other" vs "not play sports, athletes safely distanced from other students". No sports, MORE partying, less caring about protocols because less to lose. Furthermore, if they are playing and catch it a party, it will be detected rapidly as they will have frequent, full team screening. If they catch it a party and aren't playing (and, again, I think they are more likely to be irresponsibly partying if the season is cancelled) then they will be much more likely to spread it around campus as no one would be screening them.
It’s just one more thing we have to consider that other countries aren’t faced with the same kind of pressure and done have that consideration. The concept of School and college sports is much different abroad. Just one less trigger point IF students are following social distancing guidelines. I am hopping any spread is isolated on campuses and not from the campus into the community.

BTW, neighbor’s son is an athletic trainer at University if Texas. He expects to be home in a month but you never know. He follows many of the athletes and like kids, their behavior suggest that they think it’s no big deal.
Last edited by Typical Lax Dad on Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

Unknown Participant wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:27 pm

Best,
I understand, but my son got into an elite academic school after 4 years of concerted hard work in HS plus great board scores. He then walked on to a top-tier lacrosse program after MIT, where he was "recruited", did not admit him. The team he is on is truly a family, and my son has worked extremely hard to be admitted to that family. To discard all that due to a virus that is fatal to a tiny percentage of the population, primarily the old and unwell, when there is minimal risk to the 18-22 demographic makes almost no sense. The insanity has gone on long enough.

No problem. My son is done with college. It would have been devastating, so I know what you mean. My friend’s son is looking at MIT. It’s a long shot.
“I wish you would!”
Unknown Participant

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:44 pm

Best,
It’s just one more thing we have to consider that other countries aren’t faced with the same kind of pressure and done have that consideration. The concept of School and college sports is much different abroad. Just one less trigger point IF students are following social distancing guidelines. I am hopping any spread is isolated on campuses and not from the campus into the community.

BTW, neighbor’s son is an athletic trainer at University if Texas. He expects to be home in a month but you never know. He follows many of the athletes and like kids, their behavior suggest that they think it’s no big deal.
Who the F cares what other countries do or have have done? Seriously. They all have their own of methods of matriculating their young to become educated and become productive members of society, but none of that has any bearing on how the US does it. And it should always be considered that lacrosse is a uniquely North American game. But yeah, if we want our kids to join the club teams of ManU, Barcelona, etc., to become pro soccer players that would make sense. JFC
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Best,

That illustrates the problem ... a bunch of selfish, self-interested %%%%% who can’t see past their own ignorant wants.

This isn’t about you or your son. It’s about everyone. Your son could still get sick. Plenty of young people his age have suffered injury and even death from Covid-19. If not him, then he could still get infected and infect others, and not just the elderly.

Why is it so many conservatives are such selfish %%%%%?

There are over 186,000 dead Americans and we are not even close to controlling this pandemic.

And you’re complaining that your son might not play lacrosse.

Seriously, %%%% you.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
Typical Lax Dad

Unknown Participant wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:05 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:44 pm

Best,

Who the F cares what other countries do or have have done? Seriously. They all have their own of methods of matriculating their young to become educated and become productive members of society, but none of that has any bearing on how the US does it. And it should always be considered that lacrosse is a uniquely North American game. But yeah, if we want our kids to join the club teams of ManU, Barcelona, etc., to become pro soccer players that would make sense. JFC
The virus doesn’t care. I was just pointing out another element of OUR society that we have to deal with that other countries don’t.

The steps we need to take to control a virus in the USA are different from the steps Canada, Germany or France should take?At the end or the day humans basically have no immunity. Hopefully we get it under control. I don’t have high hopes for a normal Spring lacrosse season but anything we get is gravy.
“I wish you would!”
Unknown Participant

DocBarrister wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:21 pm

Best,

That illustrates the problem ... a bunch of selfish, self-interested %%%%% who can’t see past their own ignorant wants.

This isn’t about you or your son. It’s about everyone. Your son could still get sick. Plenty of young people his age have suffered injury and even death from Covid-19. If not him, then he could still get infected and infect others, and not just the elderly.

There are over 186,000 dead Americans and we are not even close to controlling this pandemic.

Seriously, %%%% you.

DocBarrister
You are a clown. How many college-aged students have died? Everyone gets sick once in a while. Some time it's bad so you have to stay in bed a day or two. No big deal.

It's not the plague. Look at the facts.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Unknown Participant wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:29 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:21 pm

Best,

Seriously, %%%% you.

DocBarrister
You are a clown. How many college-aged students have died? Everyone gets sick once in a while. Some time it's bad so you have to stay in bed a day or two. No big deal.

It's not the plague. Look at the facts.
The data indicate that up to a third of young adult Covid-19 patients aged 18-25 could experience severe illness. That’s from a study conducted by UCSF researchers at Benioff Children’s Hospital, one of the best pediatric hospitals in the world.

https://www.ucsf.edu/news/2020/07/41808 ... tudy-shows

The notion that Covid-19 is “no big deal” for young adults is an ignorant one.

As data shows more and more younger people are getting infected by the novel coronavirus, health experts are trying to bust a myth that they say has stifled the global health crisis response: that young people can’t get seriously ill from the virus that has killed more than 574,000 people around the world.

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/hospitals ... d=71775378

There have been numerous reports regarding inflammatory complications (e.g., myocarditis) and serious cardiovascular events (strokes and heart attacks) in young patients. Even as young as 12 years old:

https://www.diagnosticimaging.com/view/ ... d-covid-19

Maybe you’re watching too much Fox News or reading too many of Trump’s tweets.

Whatever the cause of your apparent ignorance of the available science, you may want to do your son and yourself (and everyone else) a favor and get better educated on the facts.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”