Johns Hopkins 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
MDlaxfan76

Re: Johns Hopkins 2021

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Bluesteel wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 3:15 pm Cottle, Starsia, now Petro, bottom line is you have to win, and not have any scandals. Have a lot of respect for Petro as a coach and a player, but Hopkins has certainly slipped in the last couple of years. Petro was able to get a great talent like Epstein to come to the Hop, but was it enough? No final four since 2015, no championship since 2007, a metrics guy like Daniels would have picked that up. Without a Healthy Epstein, Hop was terrible this year. A change was needed, wish the AD could have handled it differently, but this alum has heard a lot of good things about Millman, particularly his offensive mindset. I wish him luck.
BS, this was apparently your first post, at least under this alias.

You claim to be a Hopkins grad.
If so, hopefully you benefited from a good education at Hop.

And now you jump in with 3 posts beginning with "cognitive deficiency" and "pussies y'all" ??
Seriously?
Then a physical threat and "supercilious twit"???
viper

Post by viper »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:41 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:27 pm
flalax22 wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:39 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:33 pm
I'm aware of a dad of a local '20 who purchased a house in Charles Village for his son and 3 other freshman recruits to live in this fall...wanted his son to have a 'freshman experience' despite Covid...

Seemed excessive when I heard it, but the notion was that it would be safer than being in a dorm...but yikes, sure sounded like trouble to me...
Safer than the dorm? No because the dorms like the rest of campus are closed. He will be the same Dad complaining about not having a season when Covid travels through the house he bought and others in Charles Village. Sounds extremely selfish to me. The school has asked people to stay home. It’s simple, just do what your asked. Hopkins is being advised by some of the best medical professionals in the world. “Freshman Experience” :roll:
Agreed. I was quite taken aback when I heard.
what could go wrong??
Dancing on tables?
I heard that "dancing on tables" leads to "rolling suspensions" :o :o :o
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Bluesteel wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:29 am always a deflection from the pertinent question asked. Supercilious twit.
Blue, chill. Here and in a previous post. No personal attacks, no threats...
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Bluesteel wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:10 am I ask again, what is the death rate. and Ezra, ready to meet you anyplace, any time. This nonsense has to end.
PM me and I’ll send you my home address. Have a meeting tomorrow between 11-2pm but free the rest of the afternoon and I’ll clear my schedule Thursday and Friday for our date to hash out your wanna be tough guy act.

(Can’t believe I’m defending a Cornell guy, but this chucklehead makes it easy)
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Bluesteel wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:10 am I ask again, what is the death rate. and Ezra, ready to meet you anyplace, any time. This nonsense has to end.
5% of the cases end up dead. The thought is that with asymptomatic spread the case load is higher and the death rate is lower. But based on observed cases, it’s about 5% versus the flu at .1%. COVID-19 also has a wider spread...it kills more people.

BTW, the movie was awful.
“I wish you would!”
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:16 am
5% of the cases end up dead. The thought is that with asymptomatic spread the case load is higher and the death rate is lower. But based on observed cases, it’s about 5% versus the flu at .1%. COVID-19 also has a wider spread...it kills more people.

Death rate for individuals with no underlying illnesses is the same, or less than flu....1%.
Typical Lax Dad

FMUBart wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:52 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:16 am

Death rate for individuals with no underlying illnesses is the same, or less than flu....1%.
Thanks. I knew it was less than deaths/cases but wasn’t sure how much lower....what % of population has some underlying condition?

EDIT: actually the fatality rate with no underlying condition was .9% which is 9x that of the flu. In addition the spread is wider so in theory, it would kill more than 9x the people that would die of the flu... not a JHU lax issue...
“I wish you would!”
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

I hope somebody has better numbers, but Most Adults 55 and Over have Chronic Conditions. Unfortunately, they include arthritis but exclude obesity, which is included in Nearly All NYC-Area COVID-19 Hospitalizations Had Comorbidities. Obesity is more common than I thought, but I doubt it is as common as arthritis in the over-55 cohort.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
Typical Lax Dad

44WeWantMore wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:28 am I hope somebody has better numbers, but Most Adults 55 and Over have Chronic Conditions. Unfortunately, they include arthritis but exclude obesity, which is included in Nearly All NYC-Area COVID-19 Hospitalizations Had Comorbidities. Obesity is more common than I thought, but I doubt it is as common as arthritis in the over-55 cohort.
I believe the likelihood of having Spring lacrosse is remote. At best, there may be a truncated season. A conference only regular season schedule may be just enough. Do away with midweek and OOC games and this may help with the testing cycle. Time will tell.
“I wish you would!”
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

Those fixated only on the death rate are missing a big part of the picture. As the pandemic goes on, we are learning more about chronic sequelae of COVID-19; chronic fatigue, cognitive impairment, myocarditis. For the lacrosse community, see Jules Henningburg as a cautionary tale. Are we really saying that signing 20 year-olds up for these sort of chronic conditions is OK, as long as they don't die acutely? No thanks.
Typical Lax Dad

primitiveskills wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:22 am Those fixated only on the death rate are missing a big part of the picture. As the pandemic goes on, we are learning more about chronic sequelae of COVID-19; chronic fatigue, cognitive impairment, myocarditis. For the lacrosse community, see Jules Henningburg as a cautionary tale. Are we really saying that signing 20 year-olds up for these sort of chronic conditions is OK, as long as they don't die acutely? No thanks.
+1. You get the flu, get over it and get on with life. Not the same reality with Covid 19 for many people.
“I wish you would!”
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:24 am
primitiveskills wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:22 am Those fixated only on the death rate are missing a big part of the picture. As the pandemic goes on, we are learning more about chronic sequelae of COVID-19; chronic fatigue, cognitive impairment, myocarditis. For the lacrosse community, see Jules Henningburg as a cautionary tale. Are we really saying that signing 20 year-olds up for these sort of chronic conditions is OK, as long as they don't die acutely? No thanks.
+1. You get the flu, get over it and get on with life. Not the same reality with Covid 19 for many people.
+1 billion for both posts

People focus too much on mortality, and not enough on morbidity, especially with younger Covid-19 patients.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

Not to mention that they can SPREAD it.
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

Please post a peer reviewed study that incorporated 1000s of patients to support your contentions. I won't argue with anecdotal stories about one off long haulers of a virus that has likely infected in excess of 200,000,000 if not more. There are certainly going to be bad stories...there are bad stories with any virus. The one reason many of these bad stories appear right now is because of people like Doc consume it because they seemed to want to live in some world where everyone is safe from everything. That isn't practical nor reality. (Though given Doc's lax arguments lacking a basis in reality, these aren't that far fetched).

If you want to talk about reality. Look at the study from the CDC that found 1 in 4 people between the ages of 18 and 24 contemplated suicide (https://www.insidehighered.com/news/202 ... 9-pandemic). That is what is going to happen to college kids. Not some virus that has allowed 99.9999% of those under the age of 30 survive.

We have never as a society quarantined the healthy along with the sick. It has never happened - even in the Spanish Flu. Even in the Spanish Flu, the quaratining measures were not even to this level and certainly didn't last 6 months (like now) and didn't contemplate lasting years or until a vaccine became available.

Here is a recent letter to the ND Observer

https://ndsmcobserver.com/2020/08/recal ... the-risks/

Here is the opening paragraph
As professors at Notre Dame, we have closely watched the debates over whether the University should send students home for the semester. A new danger stalks the world, and it is not clear when we will have it under control. Nevertheless, we think the right decision is to have students learn and live together in person. We recognize there are some risks, especially to faculty and staff, but we do not think they are high enough to deprive students of the opportunities we were fortunate enough to enjoy at their age. Our society has already made young people sacrifice so much during the pandemic. Based on our understanding of the risks and present situation, we think shuttering the campus indefinitely and banishing students to isolated online learning would be unjust.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:45 pm Not to mention that they can SPREAD it.
Yep. Very important point.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
Typical Lax Dad

steel_hop wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:57 pm
Please post a peer reviewed study that incorporated 1000s of patients to support your contentions. I won't argue with anecdotal stories about one off long haulers of a virus that has likely infected in excess of 200,000,000 if not more. There are certainly going to be bad stories...there are bad stories with any virus. The one reason many of these bad stories appear right now is because of people like Doc consume it because they seemed to want to live in some world where everyone is safe from everything. That isn't practical nor reality. (Though given Doc's lax arguments lacking a basis in reality, these aren't that far fetched).

If you want to talk about reality. Look at the study from the CDC that found 1 in 4 people between the ages of 18 and 24 contemplated suicide (https://www.insidehighered.com/news/202 ... 9-pandemic). That is what is going to happen to college kids. Not some virus that has allowed 99.9999% of those under the age of 30 survive.

We have never as a society quarantined the healthy along with the sick. It has never happened - even in the Spanish Flu. Even in the Spanish Flu, the quaratining measures were not even to this level and certainly didn't last 6 months (like now) and didn't contemplate lasting years or until a vaccine became available.

As professors at Notre Dame, we have closely watched the debates over whether the University should send students home for the semester. A new danger stalks the world, and it is not clear when we will have it under control. Nevertheless, we think the right decision is to have students learn and live together in person. We recognize there are some risks, especially to faculty and staff, but we do not think they are high enough to deprive students of the opportunities we were fortunate enough to enjoy at their age. Our society has already made young people sacrifice so much during the pandemic. Based on our understanding of the risks and present situation, we think shuttering the campus indefinitely and banishing students to isolated online learning would be unjust.
Roll the balls out and play.
“I wish you would!”
JBFortunato

Post by JBFortunato »

steel_hop wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:57 pm

I am thankful that there are a few people here and elsewhere who have taken the time to reach an understanding of the situation, and are willing to make the effort to put accurate and nuanced information out there. Unfortunately there are many more Doc Barristers who are pleased to continuously spread misinformation and fear. I won't guess at why.

We are currently in the process of destroying college athletics - along with so many other aspects of our society - ruining a second academic year for college students, and causing incalculable and disastrous distress to students all the way from college down to kindergarten. There are and will be ramifications to the human experience as a result of lockdowns and associated efforts to control a virus that clearly will not be controlled, that will be far, far worse than Covid itself. At this point, with all of the data and information we have about Covid, this is a largely man-made catastrophe brought about by fear, perpetuated by the media and their proctors like Doc Barrister, and is entirely avoidable. If, and only if, we have courage.

The professors at Notre Dame have distinguished themselves as free and brave thinkers. I hope they inspire others in higher education and other sectors of our society to speak out, hold the line, and help us move forward. If we don't do it now, there won't be much of a world left.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

JBFortunato wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:53 pm There are and will be ramifications to the human experience as a result of lockdowns and associated efforts to control a virus that clearly will not be controlled
Plenty of other countries have controlled it
JBFortunato wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:53 pm If we don't do it now, there won't be much of a world left.
Again, much of the world seems to be doing ok right now. Lucky for them, they had governments who didn't waste months calling it a hoax, or saying it'd just magically disappear, or overseeing a totally botched deployment of tests amid a healthcare system ill-equipped to handle any of it. And they listened to their experts (not random guys on Twitter or people who don't know how to pronounce Yosemite), and wore masks when asked to, and now they get to send their kids to school and play sports. Weird how that works.
Typical Lax Dad

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:37 pm
JBFortunato wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:53 pm There are and will be ramifications to the human experience as a result of lockdowns and associated efforts to control a virus that clearly will not be controlled
Plenty of other countries have controlled it
JBFortunato wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:53 pm If we don't do it now, there won't be much of a world left.
Again, much of the world seems to be doing ok right now. Lucky for them, they had governments who didn't waste months calling it a hoax, or saying it'd just magically disappear, or overseeing a totally botched deployment of tests amid a healthcare system ill-equipped to handle any of it. And they listened to their experts (not random guys on Twitter or people who don't know how to pronounce Yosemite), and wore masks when asked to, and now they get to send their kids to school and play sports. Weird how that works.
Many countries don’t have the issue of “high school” and “college sports” clouding their judgement. One less thing to get in the way of getting the virus under control.
“I wish you would!”
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

Hopkins survived 1918-1919 and went on to win two Olympics.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”