D1 Mens Lacrosse
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Re: Johns Hopkins 2021

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

Yeah, do tell. No one here is looking.
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

I only have it from one source. Albeit a reliable one. But doesn’t meet journalistic standards to post in public. You can DM if interested.

Cheers, mates.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

55 cases of the virus at Towson last week and they have gone to online instruction. From what I’m hearing a huge outbreak in Charles Village. If you said team members should come to Baltimore to train and live with their teammates you’re an idiot. The 2021 season ain’t happening without a vaccine.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

"Fall ball" is among the last things anyone should be worrying about right now. Hoping everyone makes it through the fall/winter healthy and that there is some way to safely play lacrosse in the spring...but at this point it's pretty clear a lot has to go in a certain direction for that to be a realistic possibility.

Onto more pressing matters: I am still bothered that there are two #41s on the roster. I know, this is the big stuff.

Other than that—DOLO has been hired which means the staff is complete, roster movement in/out has quieted down, as has recruiting. '21 class may be just about done. '22s are apparently allowed to start making their commitments in a week.

For those interested, 25% off any single item in the Hop store with the code GOHOP: https://johns-hopkins.shoptruespirit.co ... ins-t/home
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:26 am For those interested, 25% off any single item in the Hop store with the code GOHOP: https://johns-hopkins.shoptruespirit.co ... ins-t/home
I think 06 was dying for these but you can also now find Johns Hopkins face masks - through Amazon - they are not giving them away but looks like they have made it to the smaller schools
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

51percentcorn wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:47 am
HopFan16 wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:26 am For those interested, 25% off any single item in the Hop store with the code GOHOP: https://johns-hopkins.shoptruespirit.co ... ins-t/home
I think 06 was dying for these but you can also now find Johns Hopkins face masks - through Amazon - they are not giving them away but looks like they have made it to the smaller schools
$25 for Hop playing cards $26 for a beanie $65 for sweat pants $80 for a replica joey epstein jersey $112 for a polo $700 for an alumni chair $200 for a belt no more club sports hats. The purpose of this stuff is to get the brand out there a little more and let people who have already invested tens of thousands into the school for an education get some hop gear not be a rodeo drive shopping experience. Maybe I should reach out to the schools new vp of inclusion and ask whether these prices fit with the schools equity agenda. Also one of those flags looks dangerously like a blue lives matter one, I'm sure she's already placed several calls.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06 wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:19 pm
51percentcorn wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:47 am
$25 for Hop playing cards $26 for a beanie $65 for sweat pants $80 for a replica joey epstein jersey $112 for a polo $700 for an alumni chair $200 for a belt no more club sports hats. The purpose of this stuff is to get the brand out there a little more and let people who have already invested tens of thousands into the school for an education get some hop gear not be a rodeo drive shopping experience. Maybe I should reach out to the schools new vp of inclusion and ask whether these prices fit with the schools equity agenda. Also one of those flags looks dangerously like a blue lives matter one, I'm sure she's already placed several calls.
I've got to tip my hat to how you consistently manage to slip some unrelated anti-equity/inclusion drivel into every post. Everyone here has been made aware, several times over, of your position on the school's diversity initiatives. Have you noticed hardly anyone ever engages with you on that topic?

Here is something else. One of the two holdovers from Petro still part of the '21 class in the video below. This kid has come a pretty long way in a short period of time. To my knowledge he was playing JV at St. Mary's last year but now appears to be dominating the summer circuit against top competition. That said, these rising high school seniors badly need a real season in the spring in order to come to college in fall 2021 somewhat ready for D1 action. The incoming '20 class is going to be raw as it is from missing their senior seasons but if the class behind them misses two years of development then all bets are off:

jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

[/quote]

I've got to tip my hat to how you consistently manage to slip some unrelated anti-equity/inclusion drivel into every post. Everyone here has been made aware, several times over, of your position on the school's diversity initiatives. Have you noticed hardly anyone ever engages with you on that topic?

[/quote]

we constantly read here how lacrosse recruits don't like baltimore, don't feel safe off campus, and she wants to defund Hop cops for pizza parties.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

flalax22 wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:54 am 55 cases of the virus at Towson last week and they have gone to online instruction. From what I’m hearing a huge outbreak in Charles Village. If you said team members should come to Baltimore to train and live with their teammates you’re an idiot. The 2021 season ain’t happening without a vaccine.
I'm aware of a dad of a local '20 who purchased a house in Charles Village for his son and 3 other freshman recruits to live in this fall...wanted his son to have a 'freshman experience' despite Covid...

Seemed excessive when I heard it, but the notion was that it would be safer than being in a dorm...but yikes, sure sounded like trouble to me...
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:33 pm
I'm aware of a dad of a local '20 who purchased a house in Charles Village for his son and 3 other freshman recruits to live in this fall...wanted his son to have a 'freshman experience' despite Covid...

Seemed excessive when I heard it, but the notion was that it would be safer than being in a dorm...but yikes, sure sounded like trouble to me...
Safer than the dorm? No because the dorms like the rest of campus are closed. He will be the same Dad complaining about not having a season when Covid travels through the house he bought and others in Charles Village. Sounds extremely selfish to me. The school has asked people to stay home. It’s simple, just do what your asked. Hopkins is being advised by some of the best medical professionals in the world. “Freshman Experience” :roll:
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

flalax22 wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:39 pm

Safer than the dorm? No because the dorms like the rest of campus are closed. He will be the same Dad complaining about not having a season when Covid travels through the house he bought and others in Charles Village. Sounds extremely selfish to me. The school has asked people to stay home. It’s simple, just do what your asked. Hopkins is being advised by some of the best medical professionals in the world. “Freshman Experience” :roll:
Agreed. I was quite taken aback when I heard.
what could go wrong??
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:27 pm

what could go wrong??
Dancing on tables?
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:41 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:27 pm

what could go wrong??
Dancing on tables?
hey, don't knock 'dancing on tables'... ;)
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

flalax22 wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:54 am 55 cases of the virus at Towson last week and they have gone to online instruction. From what I’m hearing a huge outbreak in Charles Village. If you said team members should come to Baltimore to train and live with their teammates you’re an idiot. The 2021 season ain’t happening without a vaccine.

There are only a few "local '20s"—seems a tad unfair to those other dads who didn't do that to specify the house-purchaser to such a degree.

It totally sucks these freshmen won't get to have a normal entry into college life, but the more that people try to circumvent the guidance from scientists and health experts, the longer this thing lasts.

From what I know about Milliman, I believe he will have a good plan in place that makes the best of a crappy situation without compromising the health of his players.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

If I were a senior I would've gone back and just gotten a second job during the semester to use the excess time. I know a lot of kids who are doing what the above commenter is doing as well as parents who've agreed to rent a quarantine house in the event of an outbreak. It's hopkins and so a lot of these kids are probably doing research or other things in the area that may allow them to come in.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:07 pm

There are only a few "local '20s"—seems a tad unfair to those other dads who didn't do that to specify the house-purchaser to such a degree.

It totally sucks these freshmen won't get to have a normal entry into college life, but the more that people try to circumvent the guidance from scientists and health experts, the longer this thing lasts.

From what I know about Milliman, I believe he will have a good plan in place that makes the best of a crappy situation without compromising the health of his players.
I wasn't trying to specify who it was or wasn't, it just struck me that the kids (as I understand it, all of them, but I didn't ask for names) already live nearby as it is, so it wasn't as if they couldn't live at home and periodically meet at the field to work out together....

Doesn't really matter who specifically made this call, but to the extent it becomes known, that's on the parents of the participants, right?

I think when we make decisions, we're accountable for those decisions. It's a call I wouldn't have made,

However, let me caveat that while I heard this from a family member of one of the boys, there could well be facts on which I'm not fully informed. I didn't interrogate every aspect, nor confirm every understanding. I was a bit taken aback.
Bluesteel

Post by Bluesteel »

I am appalled at the cognitive deficiency being displayed on a JHU forum thread. What is the death rate for healthy (no-comorbities) under 25 years old. Bunch of pussies,y'all.
Ezra White

Post by Ezra White »

Bluesteel wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:01 pm I am appalled at the cognitive deficiency being displayed on a JHU forum thread. What is the death rate for healthy (no-comorbities) under 25 years old. Bunch of pussies,y'all.
The question you should ask is, "What is the R number for this cohort?"

Methodological individualism doesn't work in general, and certainly not with infectious diseases.
Bluesteel

Post by Bluesteel »

I ask again, what is the death rate. and Ezra, ready to meet you anyplace, any time. This nonsense has to end.
Bluesteel

Post by Bluesteel »

always a deflection from the pertinent question asked. Supercilious twit.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”