All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 69

MDlaxfan76

Re: All things Chinese CoronaVirus

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

kramerica.inc wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:46 pm MD’s state positivity rate lowers by almost a percentage point in a week. From 3.95 to 3.05.
Nice work, MD!
Fingers crossed...
a fan

Post by a fan »

wgdsr wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:09 pm @ $500 a test? for every time someone enters a building? what's the math on that?
or on $100? or on $30?
You think it won't scale? It will scale, and costs would plummet.
wgdsr wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:09 pm where are all these tests coming from?
That's the whole point. We don't have the infrastructure built.

How about this: do you think this is the last pandemic we'll see in your lifetime?

This is literally the ENTIRE reason we form governments, my friend.

wgdsr wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:09 pm i don't think people that believe this understand scale and the logistics.
You just explained why Germany and Japan lost to America in WWII......

I designed and operate a factory, remember? One of my brother's degrees is in Industrial Engineering out of Northwestern. He's the guy you call in times like this to say "ok, how do we build the infrastructure to mass produce this? How fast can we do it? How much will it cost? And we can we do to drive costs down". My brother's understanding of designing and operating a factory efficiently is one of the big reasons every one of our employees is on full salary----while competitors of the same size laid off their entire workforce, with a few ppl with massive pay cuts months ago. (One other reason is luck ;) )

Heck, this USED to be America's speciality, remember? This is why the rest of the world is looking at America and saying......."geez, how come you're not ahead of us on all this stuff?"
wgdsr wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:09 pm that is my opinion, i am sure you don't agree as you have an idea in your head. a good one, no doubt, but not one i consider realistic.
We'll never know. And you and I can have this same discussion for the next pandemic.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

jhu72 wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:19 pm Sturgis was a spreading event.
Impossible!
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

njbill wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:43 pm180,000.
We're six days ahead (worse) of the Washington State model, which has us passing 180k on August 28 and over 300k by Dec 1....based on current levels of social distancing, mask mandates, etc....

On the political calendar, over 250k by Election Day...

My own back of the envelope says we dip down below 1,000 per day sometime in the next few weeks, bump along a bit, then surge hard again.

Back to school is a big problem wild card...that could be the big accelerator, though obviously continued super spreader events are likely to continue be a major problem.

And sheesh, testing is actually decreasing...with only 10-15% of the monies allocated for testing spent by the Trump Admin...
Last edited by MDlaxfan76 on Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

a fan wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:05 pm
wgdsr wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:09 pm @ $500 a test? for every time someone enters a building? what's the math on that?
or on $100? or on $30?
You think it won't scale? It will scale, and costs would plummet.
wgdsr wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:09 pm where are all these tests coming from?
That's the whole point. We don't have the infrastructure built.

How about this: do you think this is the last pandemic we'll see in your lifetime?

This is literally the ENTIRE reason we form governments, my friend.

wgdsr wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:09 pm i don't think people that believe this understand scale and the logistics.
You just explained why Germany and Japan lost to America in WWII......

I designed and operate a factory, remember? One of my brother's degrees is in Industrial Engineering out of Northwestern. He's the guy you call in times like this to say "ok, how do we build the infrastructure to mass produce this? How fast can we do it? How much will it cost? And we can we do to drive costs down". My brother's understanding of designing and operating a factory efficiently is one of the big reasons every one of our employees is on full salary----while competitors of the same size laid off their entire workforce, with a few ppl with massive pay cuts months ago. (One other reason is luck ;) )

Heck, this USED to be America's speciality, remember? This is why the rest of the world is looking at America and saying......."geez, how come you're not ahead of us on all this stuff?"
wgdsr wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:09 pm that is my opinion, i am sure you don't agree as you have an idea in your head. a good one, no doubt, but not one i consider realistic.
We'll never know. And you and I can have this same discussion for the next pandemic.
no offense, a fan... you may be an expert on many things. and may know people who are. you're not an expert on manufacturing and implementing covid tests. nor do you know in advance what the implication and costs are if we could get a covid test like we could get a coke.

i'm not trying to dissuade you. i'm just stating an opinion.

an example... something you imagine here could mean... let's say a trillion tests a week. or 200 million, pick one.

there has been some sort of market... incentivising the businesses that could and do create poc tests for months. they can't create enough tests for one dr doing richie-rich parties at the hamptons with regularity. but we could already create 100s of billions or trillions of tests per week. sure.

how much would a trillion tests cost even if we could do it? would it even work? you don't know any of these answers. what other countries that are laughing at us have done this? or even 1/10,000 of this? none.

notice not one thing of what i said was we should be deemphasizing testing (to the degree that we have, even as orators).

you think we could be scaling like 100x no problem. and roi pays for it. i don't agree. we're amateurs at this and as you say we won't get a definitive answer.
Typical Lax Dad

MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

I think the divide between what you guys may be saying could be explained by "we're not even trying to scale at max speed".

How fast we could do so is an open question, but we've spent less than 15% of funds appropriated (many months ago)...sure doesn't sound like "trying" to me.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:04 pm More Help From Trump
just so awful...no wonder less than half of Americans say they'll get vaccinated when it becomes available.
a fan

Post by a fan »

wgdsr wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:37 pm no offense, a fan... you may be an expert on many things. and may know people who are. you're not an expert on manufacturing and implementing covid tests.
Well of course I'm not an expert on fabricating Covid tests, anymore than the retrofitted car factories were that cranked out out bombers in WWII....you adapt in an emergency. And no, I don't take offense...of course not!

But what you are telling me is that these tests can't be mass produced and are "different" from other medical tests that are available globally. That's just silly.
wgdsr wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:37 pm there has been some sort of market... incentivising the businesses that could and do create poc tests for months.
You can take the companies and do what you wish. This is an emergency. Those labs and factories are Trump's playthings if he so chooses. He can do whatever he likes when the world is falling apart....
wgdsr wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:37 pm how much would a trillion tests cost even if we could do it? would it even work? you don't know any of these answers. what other countries that are laughing at us have done this? or even 1/10,000 of this? none.
Yes. Because they have different cultures with adults who don't mind following simple rules for the good of the country. So they don't need the tests like we do. We're paying the price for our culture...and other avenues must be taken to mitigate our cultural choices.

Or not. And we can just eat the economic damage because we're unwilling to understand how deep of doo-doo we're in.

You and i are just spitballing here, discussing the road not taken. We'll never know, obviously.
wgdsr wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:37 pm you think we could be scaling like 100x no problem. and roi pays for it. i don't agree.
I think we could scale it 100x if we were motivated to do it, no problem. Yes.

How many trillions do you think the US will lose as a result of this virus? Start there.

US GDP is around 20 Trillion. In the 2nd quarter 2020 vs. 2nd quarter 2019? We were down over 2 Trillion dollars. That's Two Trillion with a T.

That buys an awful lot of testing infrastructure. And put me in charge of Covid testing and vaccine R&D handouts from American taxpayers. I'd put the full force of the US government behind it.....and take a cut for the taxpayer. How much do you wanna bet we could recoup the bulk of the investment?

And as you know....the meter on the economic damage is still running, and will most likely run through spring.....
Typical Lax Dad

CU77

Post by CU77 »

old salt

Post by old salt »

It became inevitable with the right to peacefully protest.

Take a gap year & head out to Portland.
Typical Lax Dad

old salt wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:55 pm
It became inevitable with the right to peacefully protest.

Take a gap year & head out to Portland.
Yes. Their parents should file lawsuits
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

[flash=][/flash]
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:22 pm
Impossible!
The rally, which drew hundreds of thousands of bikers to the 6,900-person city, has been tied to 15 new coronavirus cases in Nebraska, seven in Minnesota, and multiple incidences in South Dakota, according to CNN.

22 confirmed cases. Go figure.

Sturgis generally draws between 250,000 and 750,000 attendees.
Typical Lax Dad

kramerica.inc wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:40 pm [flash=][/flash]
Impossible!
The rally, which drew hundreds of thousands of bikers to the 6,900-person city, has been tied to 15 new coronavirus cases in Nebraska, seven in Minnesota, and multiple incidences in South Dakota, according to CNN.

Good thing it doesn’t spread!

Yeah. I am sure there aren’t more and no more will show up. Take his word for it....

Moving your hands when you talk shows you mean business

He had good things to say about China!

old salt

Post by old salt »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:53 pm
Impossible!

Sturgis was a peaceful protest. Ocean City Bike Week, sched for Sept 16-20, has been canceled. That's our OC time share week (by coincidence).
Was looking forward to George Thorogood & the Delaware Destroyers on Thurs night. They're rebooked for Sept 2021.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

njbill wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:43 pm180,000.
Yes, and hardly any reaction.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

How did Trump supporters become so indifferent to so many deaths?

We could have around a quarter million dead Americans by Election Day.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
Typical Lax Dad

old salt wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:12 am
Impossible!

Sturgis was a peaceful protest. Ocean City Bike Week, sched for Sept 16-20, has been canceled. That's our OC time share week (by coincidence).
Was looking forward to George Thorogood & the Delaware Destroyers on Thurs night. They're rebooked for Sept 2021.
That means it doesn’t spread? We should have everyone go out on a peaceful protest in order to knock it out.
🤡
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:06 am
old salt wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:12 am
Impossible!

That means it doesn’t spread? We should have everyone go out on a peaceful protest in order to knock it out.
🤡
Without masks...on purpose as part of the protest. Idiots.

Return to “POLITICS”