Hobart 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Laxgunea

Re: Hobart 2020

Post by Laxgunea »

I had heard Scott might return, but only for Spring and only if he can work out something for Fall (e.g., an internship somewhere). Basically it is up in the air still. Plus, as a Canadian, there are crazy visa issues to work through.
Hobart and William Smith are inviting all students back to campus. The return starts August 18 (and earlier for some). About 55% of classes will be face to face ... much higher than some other schools. About 20% will be fully remote, with the rest being some hybrid model. Even the remote classes will be meeting virtually at regularly scheduled times.
HWS is also letting all students return, not just certain classes. THis is a point of pride for Pres. Jacobsen, who likes the idea of offering the same treatment to all students. Geneva has a low infection rate, and it seems like there are some good chances to keep the students safe. But that could all change in a flash. I know some athletes from fall sports are not planning to play ... I've heard that 6 seniors for WS soccer have decided not to play (and they are perennial contenders for the D3 national championships). In addition to Brockport, RPI, and Union, I think Ithaca is also cancelled for football. I don't think there will be a season.
I see Raymond around Geneva, but I don't know what is in the works for fall. Probably keep treading water, trying to keep the head above water ... not too much else to do at the moment. But I will say this: everyone I know at HWS is busting their tails trying to get the school open.
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

I had heard Scott might return, but only for Spring and only if he can work out something for Fall (e.g., an internship somewhere). Basically it is up in the air still. Plus, as a Canadian, there are crazy visa issues to work through.
Hobart and William Smith are inviting all students back to campus. The return starts August 18 (and earlier for some). About 55% of classes will be face to face ... much higher than some other schools. About 20% will be fully remote, with the rest being some hybrid model. Even the remote classes will be meeting virtually at regularly scheduled times.
HWS is also letting all students return, not just certain classes. THis is a point of pride for Pres. Jacobsen, who likes the idea of offering the same treatment to all students. Geneva has a low infection rate, and it seems like there are some good chances to keep the students safe. But that could all change in a flash. I know some athletes from fall sports are not planning to play ... I've heard that 6 seniors for WS soccer have decided not to play (and they are perennial contenders for the D3 national championships). In addition to Brockport, RPI, and Union, I think Ithaca is also cancelled for football. I don't think there will be a season.
I see Raymond around Geneva, but I don't know what is in the works for fall. Probably keep treading water, trying to keep the head above water ... not too much else to do at the moment. But I will say this: everyone I know at HWS is busting their tails trying to get the school open.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Calling all alums. Somebody get Justin Scott an internship stat!

Heard from at least one FB parent who’s kid is taking a gap year. Football has been trying to hang on but between the E8, SUNY schools and Union/RPI they are down to half a season. (buff St is affiliate member and MoVille St and Alfred are OOC, so that’s 5/10 right there). While some recent vaccine news seems promising I have to believe we are directionally still heading for cancelled fall on campus.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

HWS cancelling all fall sports. We tried to hang on, but too many teams dropping. I think Liberty League cancelled completely.
mississippislinger

Post by mississippislinger »

Sam Luchessi getting the start today for the Bayhawks!
SMAIN

Post by SMAIN »

If there a number of football programs that want to play, why not schedule on the fly. Hey, "you want to play? Let's do it". Might be fun to see what happens.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

mississippislinger wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:40 pm Sam Luchessi getting the start today for the Bayhawks!
Wish Sam had some better help. I counted 4 in the the 3rd & 4th qtrs that the scorer was within 5-6 yards. Makes it almost impossible to stop. Frank Brown played great when given the chance by the Boston Cannons. Hope to see him on the field(s) in both the NLL & MLL (or PLL) next season.
catchnshoot

Post by catchnshoot »

Frank looked good including 3 goals in semi’s
Then is a no show for the championship??
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Aslanian had a good game in the loss. As good as he was for us I’m still a little surprised how well he’s played in the MLL. Glad he’s doing great though.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

catchnshoot wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:34 pm Frank looked good including 3 goals in semi’s
Then is a no show for the championship??
Frank chose to leave after 3 athletes tested positive 4 Covid. A couple of other Boston Cannons chose to leave as well. (Staats & Cole) They made the right choice for themselves. Frank posted on Instagram if you have further questions. Better to be safe, and not get sick and then pass it on to others. I am not judging those who played. Just supporting Frank, and others decisions not to play.
bauer4429

Post by bauer4429 »

Guess the “bubble” did not work. I don’t see how any college will be able to manage this with thousands of students.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

For what it’s worth, a 2021 roster is listed w no FR. Kieran Keane is back as a grad level but also Scott, Delpha and Mueller.

https://hwsathletics.com/roster.aspx?path=mlax
TAV

Post by TAV »

Regarding the Financial situation Colleges find themselves in...

Many are starting to reap what they’ve sowed over the past 35-40 years - many colleges should fail - Liberal nonsense mostly.

As far as ROI of Hobart (I’m a 1983 Grad); I don’t know, both my boys didn’t even consider it; but I did things a little differently.

As High School Freshmen, I told them that there was enough money to pay full tuition anywhere, but I was only willing to pay 20K per year and to receive that money, they would have to take a year off after high school and get a real job.

I also explained “it’s just college” and although a nice experience, it’s not real life. I told both that they should consider not even going because in those four years much can be learned from the school of hard knocks and simply having the balls to put yourself out there and make your own way.

They both graduated, took the year off/worked and then decided to go to college - both of them figured it out and came in under budget (Out of State UNC @14K per year and Harvard @12K per year)...it all worked out, I guess, it’s the path they took.

After it was all over, both thanked me for setting up the boundaries, limiting the the money and being honest with them about what college really is - both avoided the silly courses, had some fun, got laid, got drunk, worked hard and probably learned a few things along the way. One Majored in Statistics and the other Business/Finance.

Yes, yes, while a Hobart LAX fan from the good old D3 Days; For the last 15, it’s been Tar Heels all the way!

Unfortunately, given our political climate and the need to keep the citizenry frightened so more “control” can be placed on us - and colleges unable to find their way out of a paper bag - there’s a slim too none chance for LAX in the Spring...
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

TAV wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:07 pm Regarding the Financial situation Colleges find themselves in...

Many are starting to reap what they’ve sowed over the past 35-40 years - many colleges should fail - Liberal nonsense mostly.

As far as ROI of Hobart (I’m a 1983 Grad); I don’t know, both my boys didn’t even consider it; but I did things a little differently.

As High School Freshmen, I told them that there was enough money to pay full tuition anywhere, but I was only willing to pay 20K per year and to receive that money, they would have to take a year off after high school and get a real job.

I also explained “it’s just college” and although a nice experience, it’s not real life. I told both that they should consider not even going because in those four years much can be learned from the school of hard knocks and simply having the balls to put yourself out there and make your own way.

They both graduated, took the year off/worked and then decided to go to college - both of them figured it out and came in under budget (Out of State UNC @14K per year and Harvard @12K per year)...it all worked out, I guess, it’s the path they took.

After it was all over, both thanked me for setting up the boundaries, limiting the the money and being honest with them about what college really is - both avoided the silly courses, had some fun, got laid, got drunk, worked hard and probably learned a few things along the way. One Majored in Statistics and the other Business/Finance.

Yes, yes, while a Hobart LAX fan from the good old D3 Days; For the last 15, it’s been Tar Heels all the way!

Unfortunately, given our political climate and the need to keep the citizenry frightened so more “control” can be placed on us - and colleges unable to find their way out of a paper bag - there’s a slim too none chance for LAX in the Spring...

Interesting that you base it all on economics. It appears you son's were on need based aid, rt a combination of merit and need based aid as the Ivies do not grant merit aid. Please explain in a bit more detail on how your interpretation on l liberal arts education determines if there will be a lacrosse season in 2021.
catchnshoot

Post by catchnshoot »

Is the 2021 roster posted correctly? How are Hurley, Delphi’s , Scott, mueller all seniors again?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Didn’t complete the spring academic semester and/or took a prior fall off (or lighter courseload). Mueller didn’t finish two prior seasons due to injury so he could’ve pulled out entirely in theory.

What makes me optimistic is that they have Kieran Keane listed as GR which makes it appear as though it’s been updated and not just changed from 2020. There’s also some 2020 info in a portion of the bios.
Unknown Participant

Post by Unknown Participant »

TAV wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:07 pm Regarding the Financial situation Colleges find themselves in...

They both graduated, took the year off/worked and then decided to go to college - both of them figured it out and came in under budget and Harvard @12K per year)...

Calling nonsense on this
TAV

Post by TAV »

It is about economics - scratch the surface, it always is...that’s not necessarily good or bad, it’s just reality.

Many Liberal Arts Colleges will be fighting for survival over the next few years - unfortunately, lax will take a back seat.

Part of that is about limited financial resources and part is the fear being whipped up in the mainstream media; for many, all will be well when Orange Man Bad is Gone in November, but I still think this season is shot.

Maybe over the next few years, the college shakeout will wake up the NCCA and they’ll take a look @ Lax Divisions and restructure.

Many D1 Lax Programs have no business being D1. Hobart being one of them. Back to D3, probably not. The NCCA needs to focus on creating a real D2 Division. There are some quality D3 schools that belong there - combined with the lower tier 1/3 of D1 - it could make for excellent new Division.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

TAV... Hobart will still be here and be playing D I lax. The last group that tried moving us to D III are gone. Re-aligning the D I, II, & III landscape is not just up to the NCAA. THe schools themselves would have to agree. Will some schools drop lacrosse, probably. Hobart won't be one of them.
TAV

Post by TAV »

Understood and agree. After 15 years of watching ACC and UNC in particular; I like the high quality lacrosse and an underdog team that has an chance to win NC’s or at least go deep into the tournament. No harm, no foul...

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”