Is a 2021 season going to happen?

D1 Mens Lacrosse
FMUBart

Re: Is a 2021 season going to happen?

Post by FMUBart »

Wheels wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:32 pm
FMUBart wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:54 am The debate is decidedly political(thanks for the blatantly obvious, I know!)... After the election, the virus debate will end...unless, of course Trump is re-elected. Then the same nonsense will be spewed by the media..
Yes, Trump has been totally blameless in making any of this political. Wait, where is my mask?
Thanks for reinforcing the point :roll:
cc2519

Post by cc2519 »

PulpExposure wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:51 pm
pcowlax wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:38 pmThe bar cannot be no cases or zero spread, that just isn't how respiratory viruses work.
Nope - but it's minimizing spread to avoid overwhelming hospitals. You have to be proactive and think ahead - that's what most of the world did, and where we have not done.
Which hospitals have been overrun (not stretched, at capacity, etc, but OVERRUN)? It’s this kind of cliched, uninformed thinking that is driving the insanity. It has become an almost religious thing: believe, in the absence of evidence. Until it stops, we will not get back to normal. “The virus” is becoming the boogeyman that will always be there, lurking, waiting to strike, if we let our guard down for even a moment!
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

pcowlax wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:38 pmThe bar cannot be no cases or zero spread, that just isn't how respiratory viruses work.
Nope - but it's minimizing spread to avoid overwhelming hospitals. You have to be proactive and think ahead - that's what most of the world did, and where we have not done.
Covid, even in NYC, our most crowded city, with the worst response imaginable, did not overwhelm the hospitals there. The Navy Hospital ship took a few non-Covid patients, the temporary hospitals took almost no patients, and a charity hospital was turned away.

Things that might be interesting in the long-run:
1. How many missed mammograms, colonoscopies, etc. will raise future death tolls.
2. Regardless of governmental mandates, will behavioral changes reduce death tolls this winter? Fewer drivers (impaired or on icy roads), social distancing reducing regular influenza deaths, better nursing home procedures, etc.
3. Turning to almost relevant to lacrosse, consider many schools in remote locations. Many students would visit their campus infirmary for little things, or go home for major elective procedures. What if there is a major breakout on campus, and many develop serious symptoms in their remote college towns, where the local hospitals do not expect to treat many college students?
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
jhu93

Post by jhu93 »

DocBarrister wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:34 pm
ICGrad wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:22 pm I would be surprised if there is a full (i.e., regular and post-season) lacrosse season this spring.

As someone who is currently sick with COVID, though with a fairly mild (so far) case, I can say that this thing has the potential to knock you on your ass. The fatigue alone is enough to take players out for large stretches, possibly whole seasons. I'm athletic, regularly running 7 miles per day (with a past as a marathon runner), and I doubt I could run half a mile right now. Given the level of athletic performance demanded of these athletes, it's hard to imagine anyone with even a mild case being able to suit up and take the field.

I can see a scenario where schools try to initiate some sort of modified season, but have to abandon it as too many teams face multiple positive tests - kind of like what we're seeing with baseball right now, but with teams be far less able to control all of the variables.
First, best wishes and get well soon (I know ... “get well soon” frequently doesn’t happen with Covid-19). :|

Second, I think you may turn out to be correct. Here’s hopin’ for the best.

DocBarrister :|
No one cares about your opinion. You are ugly and you have a horrible personality.
PulpExposure

Post by PulpExposure »

cc2519 wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:09 pm
Which hospitals have been overrun (not stretched, at capacity, etc, but OVERRUN)? It’s this kind of cliched, uninformed thinking that is driving the insanity. It has become an almost religious thing: believe, in the absence of evidence. Until it stops, we will not get back to normal. “The virus” is becoming the boogeyman that will always be there, lurking, waiting to strike, if we let our guard down for even a moment!

Happened in Texas. Happened in California. Mississippi. Florida. Really this evidence was stupid easy to find, and I can find more, but I don't want to, because it's not worth my time because I'm expecting you just are going to handwave away the truth because you anecdotally believe otherwise.

And see the post below the one I'm responding to. It's not just COVID - it's people who will not go to hospitals, or who can't, because the hospitals are otherwise occupied. Or ICUs at capacity.

In fact, why am I even engaging with you at all? I was curious why you were here, and you have 30 posts, all COVID related. Nothing to do with lacrosse. So pretty much you've just came onto a lacrosse board to be a troll.
Laxbuck

Post by Laxbuck »

My son is a D1 lacrosse player. Recovering from a very mild case of Covid-19. He will go through a cardiac evaluation before returning to rigorous exercise. He will be under the supervision of an excellent training staff. His risk of cardiovascular problems should be less than someone who had a viral illness and subsequent myocarditis, rare but possibly no less frequent than Covid-19. Remember the concern for myocarditis is only for those that have had CV-19. Most college athletes will never get CV-19 and myocarditis will never be a concern. Shutting down a season for this does not make sense when good medical care can prevent cardiovascular complications in athletes with a history of CV-19
socalref

Post by socalref »

Happened in Texas. Happened in California. Mississippi. Florida. Really this evidence was stupid easy to find, and I can find more, but I don't want to, because it's not worth my time because I'm expecting you just are going to handwave away the truth because you anecdotally believe otherwise.
It’s interesting. The media is telling us this is happening. The boots on the ground are saying something else. I work in an industry that services hospitals here in California. We are seeing an uptick in demand for product in preparation for more need, but in-hospital experience is showing this is not over running centers. In fact in many facilities, Covid wings are being reduced. I personally work at facilities here in Los Angeles. I am not seeing what you tell me is happening. My coworkers in San Diego, the central valley, and in the bay area are seeing similar things.

I supplied support product to the USNS Mercy back in March. They came to Long Beach to help during our “crisis “. They left doing nothing. They’re only contribution was that some of the crew tested positive.

I don’t think there is any doubt this is a dangerous and serious virus. But to pretend there is no political element to the reporting is ridiculous.
Last edited by socalref on Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

jhu93 wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:43 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:34 pm
ICGrad wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:22 pm I would be surprised if there is a full (i.e., regular and post-season) lacrosse season this spring.

As someone who is currently sick with COVID, though with a fairly mild (so far) case, I can say that this thing has the potential to knock you on your ass. The fatigue alone is enough to take players out for large stretches, possibly whole seasons. I'm athletic, regularly running 7 miles per day (with a past as a marathon runner), and I doubt I could run half a mile right now. Given the level of athletic performance demanded of these athletes, it's hard to imagine anyone with even a mild case being able to suit up and take the field.

I can see a scenario where schools try to initiate some sort of modified season, but have to abandon it as too many teams face multiple positive tests - kind of like what we're seeing with baseball right now, but with teams be far less able to control all of the variables.
First, best wishes and get well soon (I know ... “get well soon” frequently doesn’t happen with Covid-19). :|

Second, I think you may turn out to be correct. Here’s hopin’ for the best.

DocBarrister :|
No one cares about your opinion. You are ugly and you have a horrible personality.
I doubt you really went to Hopkins. Trump University alum?

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
PulpExposure

Post by PulpExposure »

socalref wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:11 pm
It’s interesting. The media is telling us this is happening. The boots on the ground are saying something else. I work in an industry that services hospitals here in California. We are seeing an uptick in demand for product in preparation for more need, but in-hospital experience is showing this is not over running centers. In fact in many facilities, Covid wings are being reduced. I personally work at facilities here in Los Angeles. I am not seeing what you tell me is happening. My coworkers in San Diego, the central valley, and in the bay area are seeing similar things.

I supplied support product to the USNS Mercy back in March. They came to Long Beach to help during our “crisis “. They left doing nothing. They’re only contribution was that some of the crew tested positive.

I don’t think there is any doubt this is a dangerous and serious virus. But to pretend there is no political element to the reporting is ridiculous.
I also work in the health care sector - interface directly with oncologists (I work in cancer). And it absolutely is effecting care where I am. But I'm in New Jersey, which was hit hard, and honestly this experience is replicated across my company and my industry. The boots on the ground here are telling us something different. Shrug. And yes there is definitely a political element to the reporting.

Remember just a few months ago, multiple Fox News anchors were calling this nothing but a Democratic hoax or scam.
socalref

Post by socalref »

I also work in the health care sector - interface directly with oncologists (I work in cancer). And it absolutely is effecting care where I am. But I'm in New Jersey, which was hit hard, and honestly this experience is replicated across my company and my industry. The boots on the ground here are telling us something different. Shrug. And yes there is definitely a political element to the reporting.

Remember just a few months ago, multiple Fox News anchors were calling this nothing but a Democratic hoax or scam.
Our factory and headquarters is in New Jersey and it was hit very hard back in March. It does beg the question that is the sudden surge in need because for the last 5 months folks have been told to avoid hospitals and when that was reopened we were back to more normal hospital conditions plus Covid demand? Lots of numbers and pretty charts, but very little to clarify what it means.
socalref

Post by socalref »

In the mean time, I’m hanging out with a couple of players who are 3k miles from home who are worried what this means. At 19, the mental maturity to handle this is hard to come by. This is a rough time to be a kid trying to grow up.
PulpExposure

Post by PulpExposure »

socalref wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:09 pm In the mean time, I’m hanging out with a couple of players who are 3k miles from home who are worried what this means. At 19, the mental maturity to handle this is hard to come by. This is a rough time to be a kid trying to grow up.
It really is. My oldest is 14 (lax player), and they did get a tournament season in over the summer which was great. But the virtual "learning" environment, the social distancing, etc., has effected not only him, but his two brothers as well. I do wonder what the longer range effects on our kids will be.

And it's undoubtedly had an effect on me, too. I am used to traveling a lot for work and now my travel is usually from my bedroom to my office. I'm quite a bit older than 19 and it's even been tough on me...
Bart

Post by Bart »

Laxbuck wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:47 pm My son is a D1 lacrosse player. Recovering from a very mild case of Covid-19. He will go through a cardiac evaluation before returning to rigorous exercise. He will be under the supervision of an excellent training staff. His risk of cardiovascular problems should be less than someone who had a viral illness and subsequent myocarditis, rare but possibly no less frequent than Covid-19. Remember the concern for myocarditis is only for those that have had CV-19. Most college athletes will never get CV-19 and myocarditis will never be a concern. Shutting down a season for this does not make sense when good medical care can prevent cardiovascular complications in athletes with a history of CV-19
I hope your son has a full recovery with no ill effects.

Curious where you are getting the data to state this? I have been looking for exactly this data. That the incidence of myocarditis is not more elevated from covid than say, the regular flu. Problem I have found is that there is little base line to compare with. There are some recent articles that suggest otherwise but I have yet to see a good base line comparison, I'd love to see an article discussing this.
bananas

Post by bananas »

Been in two NJ hospitals over the last month. According to informed staff , one large hospital presently had 0 patients being treated for COVID and the other regional only 1 with neither having a mortality attributable to cover for quite some time. Not as knowledgeable as others here but if hospitalizations have declined sharply despite summer upticks amid much greater activity then is the strain of this virus weakening or is that just false hope?

Fair to say that this virus will still be worrisome in January but at what point does society embrace greater risk if severity declines for the masses .
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

bananas wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:13 am Been in two NJ hospitals over the last month. According to informed staff , one large hospital presently had 0 patients being treated for COVID and the other regional only 1 with neither having a mortality attributable to cover for quite some time. Not as knowledgeable as others here but if hospitalizations have declined sharply despite summer upticks amid much greater activity then is the strain of this virus weakening or is that just false hope?

Fair to say that this virus will still be worrisome in January but at what point does society embrace greater risk if severity declines for the masses .
I watch the PA Hospital utilization, and it is a similar story there, though lagging behind NJ. Yes, it is possible that weaker strains are becoming more dominant, as respiratory viruses do tend to do that, but there are other possibilities.
- For some reason third-world mortality generally remains low, despite far lower standards of care there. And, if you think maybe their reporting is less good (I would agree for infections, but am less confident with respect to deaths), even Florida, with plenty of infections and lots of old people, has not seen anything like the Northeast. One source of speculation is that low indoor humidity typical of the Northeast in the winter had something to do with it. Another is that third-worlders and Floridians get more sunshine (the vitamin D speculation).
- In the densest part of the country, like Boston, NYC, and northern NJ, the most vulnerable have already been exposed. So plenty of new exposure (look for pictures of all the young at the Jersey Shore), but with so many of them asymptomatic, they don't affect the hospital utilization.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
PulpExposure

Post by PulpExposure »

bananas wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:13 am Been in two NJ hospitals over the last month. According to informed staff , one large hospital presently had 0 patients being treated for COVID and the other regional only 1 with neither having a mortality attributable to cover for quite some time. Not as knowledgeable as others here but if hospitalizations have declined sharply despite summer upticks amid much greater activity then is the strain of this virus weakening or is that just false hope?

NJ has locked it down and has few daily cases now. We're at an average of 371 new cases per day. But the state is shut down.
bananas

Post by bananas »

PulpExposure wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:01 am

NJ has locked it down and has few daily cases now. We're at an average of 371 new cases per day. But the state is shut down.
Shutdown? Beaches , outdoor cafes and roads are packed. Malls are open , kids of all ages are home and mingling again unlike months ago. Murphy will issue executive orders and crater to teacher union wishes to keep schools closed but degree of normalcy has returned to NJ , it is far from shutdown.
bananas

Post by bananas »

44WeWantMore wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:00 am

I watch the PA Hospital utilization, and it is a similar story there, though lagging behind NJ. Yes, it is possible that weaker strains are becoming more dominant, as respiratory viruses do tend to do that, but there are other possibilities.
- For some reason third-world mortality generally remains low, despite far lower standards of care there. And, if you think maybe their reporting is less good (I would agree for infections, but am less confident with respect to deaths), even Florida, with plenty of infections and lots of old people, has not seen anything like the Northeast. One source of speculation is that low indoor humidity typical of the Northeast in the winter had something to do with it. Another is that third-worlders and Floridians get more sunshine (the vitamin D speculation).
- In the densest part of the country, like Boston, NYC, and northern NJ, the most vulnerable have already been exposed. So plenty of new exposure (look for pictures of all the young at the Jersey Shore), but with so many of them asymptomatic, they don't affect the hospital utilization.
Interesting , thank you.. The experts are still learning on the go but certain stats and trends offer some encouragement though fall season in Northeast will again challenge despite lessons learned. . The nursing home fiascos in NY and NJ were most unfortunate , friends lost parents . The elder and sickly must stay diligent .To my eye, NJ residents have become increasingly comfortable and I se few masks in certain settings, I pray that any second wave is lesser than the first.
PulpExposure

Post by PulpExposure »

bananas wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:46 am
PulpExposure wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:01 am

Shutdown? Beaches , outdoor cafes and roads are packed. Malls are open , kids of all ages are home and mingling again unlike months ago. Murphy will issue executive orders and crater to teacher union wishes to keep schools closed but degree of normalcy has returned to NJ , it is far from shutdown.
Masks are on, and there are restrictions still. Not like elsewhere. Yes you're correct we're not totally shut down anymore. Sorry - wasn't clear - we had shut it down and kept shut down, only recently opened things up a bit, and that's why things are why they are the way they are now.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

It has picked up in other places. My sister is a nurse in Ohio. They have been expanding their capacity. Hospitals not overrun but patient through put is building.
“I wish you would!”

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”