Sensible Gun Safety

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Nigel

Re: Sensible Gun Control

Post by Nigel »

6ftstick wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:09 am
holmes435 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:53 am
kramerica.inc wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:30 am
holmes435 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:18 am What's interesting about it? One black president? One black Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff? 4 black Fortune 500 CEOs right now? 6 black billionaires in the US right now? 10 black senators ever? Zero current black state governors and only 4 all time?

Actually I do suppose that is pretty interesting. And pretty stark.

Tons more is necessary.
True.

But like the call for more black lacrosse head coaches, you have to have candidates to ascend and fill the roles. Its easy to say: "Hire more_." But you are limited by your applicant pool. How you going about doing that?
Thanks for bringing more of an actual discussion into the thread. That problem is where the rubber meets the road. The "Hire more ___" mindset is Affirmative Action and it has some bad side effects. Ideally we put everyone on more equal footing at birth so that down the road we have qualified candidates of all races to get into college, get hired as coaches, etc. But how do we do that when so many black parents are less well off and have fewer opportunities for their kids than white parents?

So it's turned into a chicken and egg problem. Do we use a very imperfect solution like Affirmative Action to build up the parents so their kids are on more equal footing? Or do we ramp up social programs up the wazoo to ensure the kids are getting everything they need? A mix of both? Something else?

We've systemically denied black people upward mobility and economic security since slavery ended (and obviously did it much worse before that). It's going to take another generation or two for that wealth that's been redistributed from the black community to make its way back even with big changes.
Or

Don't do drugs

don't get pregnant before you graduate.

Graduate from high school

Try that for a generation and you might not have only 22% of children reading and doing math at grade level.

Pull your pants up over the crack of your rump and climb on the treadmill with the rest of us.
Larry could be Kanye's VP!

If we need that extra push over the cliff, ya know what we do...eleven, exactly.
holmes435

Post by holmes435 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:30 pm "Thanks for bringing more of an actual discussion into the thread."

Wow!! what a load of sanctimonious BS written by someone who actually believes that black folks are worried about the cops coming in at 3am and killing them for no reason. Some cops out there patrolling may not have the correct training to handle high stress situations. If the cops are called to your house at 3am there was probably a reason. Those officers in Texas were responding to a domestic dispute when they went knocking on the door. The were ambushed and killed in cold blood. Do the police have an equal right to fear for their lives as the people on the other side of the door claim they also do. It blows my mind. A person here posts something that is factual BS and then tries to spin the topic of conversation back to what he describes as an actual discussion on the thread. Nice try Holmes, but at least some of us can see through all the BS. :roll:
It's literally one of the recent shootings.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting_ ... nna_Taylor
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

holmes435 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:11 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:30 pm "Thanks for bringing more of an actual discussion into the thread."

Wow!! what a load of sanctimonious BS written by someone who actually believes that black folks are worried about the cops coming in at 3am and killing them for no reason. Some cops out there patrolling may not have the correct training to handle high stress situations. If the cops are called to your house at 3am there was probably a reason. Those officers in Texas were responding to a domestic dispute when they went knocking on the door. The were ambushed and killed in cold blood. Do the police have an equal right to fear for their lives as the people on the other side of the door claim they also do. It blows my mind. A person here posts something that is factual BS and then tries to spin the topic of conversation back to what he describes as an actual discussion on the thread. Nice try Holmes, but at least some of us can see through all the BS. :roll:
It's literally one of the recent shootings.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting_ ... nna_Taylor

Apropos of absolutely nothing, I had lunch yesterday with three other people and I quizzed then if they owned and carried guns. Everyone was a yes.

Florida will win the upcoming Civil War.
DMac

Post by DMac »

6ftstick wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:09 am
Or

Don't do drugs

don't get pregnant before you graduate.

Graduate from high school

Try that for a generation and you might not have only 22% of children reading and doing math at grade level.

Pull your pants up over the crack of your rump and climb on the treadmill with the rest of us.
Understand what you're saying here, 6, and don't disagree. Trouble is, the problem is of epic proprtions, absolutely monsterous. Been down to the Big Apple a couple of times recently, have seen some of the hoods up close and personal, the environment these people grow up in is absolutely toxic and what the norm is is something you and I can only imagine, and it's worse than that. "A generation"? Not even in the ballpark...many, many, many generations.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

DMac, NYC is Disneyland compared to 30yrs ago. It’s problem is total decadence now akin to Marie Antoinette’s France.

Even the worst spots are miles safer and nicer than they were in the 70s & 80s. Hell Kitchen = Clinton. Columbia practically mergers with Moringside and the Cloisters (they’ve got a Dinosaur around 133rd and West end). South bronx, bushwick, etc all gentrified to some degree.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
holmes435

Post by holmes435 »

So many better 2A lobbying groups out there nowadays. Even right-wingers are getting tired of their schtick.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:02 pm DMac, NYC is Disneyland compared to 30yrs ago. It’s problem is total decadence now akin to Marie Antoinette’s France.

Even the worst spots are miles safer and nicer than they were in the 70s & 80s. Hell Kitchen = Clinton. Columbia practically mergers with Moringside and the Cloisters (they’ve got a Dinosaur around 133rd and West end). South bronx, bushwick, etc all gentrified to some degree.

"safe"

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/06/nyre ... crime.html

https://www.foxnews.com/us/3-nyc-men-ch ... police-say

https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/ny ... story.html

https://newyork.cbslocal.com/video/4633 ... raignment/
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Absolutely no sense of reality or history. Brooklyn would school you on 1970s and 1980s NYC but I'm sure he can't be bothered explaining it to someone who's clearly living in a bomb shelter.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Hey, any NRA members here? How do you feel about being ripped off for the past 30 years?
Wayne LaPierre allegedly used NRA as a 'personal piggy bank,' N.Y. AG says. Trips to the Bahamas, private jets and luxury hotel suites were some of the ways the CEO and other executives allegedly used the nonprofit's money.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/wa ... y-n1236068

They say Wayne and pals siphoned off $64 million just in the past 3 years!

That's a LOT of trips to the Bahamas! :lol:

Must be fake news, right?
holmes435

Post by holmes435 »

Every time I've bought a gun it normally comes with some NRA pamphlet, whether provided by the manufacturer or the store. I have never been and will never be a member and I hope they are taken down for their potentially illegal actions.

There are much more ethical and center leaning 2A advocate groups out there that deserve our support instead of the NRA.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

… it couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of scumbags. Just another example of the corruption of the right wing nuts.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

jhu72 wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:05 pm … it couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of scumbags. Just another example of the corruption of the right wing nuts.
All of our card carrying NRA members here can re-direct their contributions to this group:

https://blackgunownersassociation.org/
Last edited by Typical Lax Dad on Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“I wish you would!”
ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

A good Con Man knows his guinea pigs. People afraid of their own shadow.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

holmes435 wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:49 pm Every time I've bought a gun it normally comes with some NRA pamphlet, whether provided by the manufacturer or the store. I have never been and will never be a member and I hope they are taken down for their potentially illegal actions.

There are much more ethical and center leaning 2A advocate groups out there that deserve our support instead of the NRA.
Would you expect your gun to come with pamphlets from planned parenthood? The fact the NRA thinks as a gun owner you may want to support them seems like a foreign concept to you. The solution is really simple. You don't like the NRA, throw the paperwork they hand out to you in your recycle bin. I only own one rifle. It is the same type of rifle my dad carried all over Europe. I don't support the NRA in the same respect I don't support groups like PP that promote infanticide for profit. Left or right both sides are all about the green when you get right down to it. :roll:
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

An Air Force Huey took fire over the Shenandoah valley while flying at about 1000 ft., today.
jhu93

Post by jhu93 »

jhu72 wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:05 pm … it couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of scumbags. Just another example of the corruption of the right wing nuts.
You are such a tough guy. I am sure that your family won't acknowledge your existence you are such a disgrace.
Typical Lax Dad

jhu93 wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:39 pm
You are such a tough guy. I am sure that your family won't acknowledge your existence you are such a disgrace.
Are you RRR using a different handle?
“I wish you would!”
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:02 pm
jhu93 wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:39 pm
Are you RRR using a different handle?
… I thought I smelled gnat fart. ;)
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

jhu72 wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:25 pm An Air Force Huey took fire over the Shenandoah valley while flying at about 1000 ft., today.
Probably some wealthy left wing nut staying at the Salamander Resort. https://abc13.com/6367316/
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Typical Lax Dad

youthathletics wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:21 pm
jhu72 wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:25 pm An Air Force Huey took fire over the Shenandoah valley while flying at about 1000 ft., today.
Probably some wealthy left wing nut staying at the Salamander Resort. https://abc13.com/6367316/
We are going downhill fast. Senseless.
“I wish you would!”

Return to “POLITICS”