JUST the Stolen Documents/Mar-A-Lago/"Judge" Cannon Trial

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
a fan

Re: The Politics of National Security

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:27 pm Based on what Scowcroft's saying (above), we lost the trust of the world when we invaded Iraq & our charges of WMD proved to be unfounded.
There were worldwide protests if you'll recall. So yep, I'd agree with that.
old salt wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:27 pm The inconsistency of our entire post Cold War policy should give the rest of the world a case of whiplash.
Been telling you that for almost 20 years. Straight out of an insane asylum.

-Make Iran an enemy by destroying their democracy
-Shockingly, they don't like this new US toady, and rebel
-US feigns shock at this new "enemy", and figures its a great idea to bankroll their neighbor, Saddam
-Shockingly, Saddam takes advantage of this US backing, increases his regional power and invades Kuwait
-US feigns shock at this new "enemy", and invades. Opens bases throughout the ME. It escapes attention that we caused every single one of these problems. All of them. No one thinks "hey, maybe the entire problem is what we're doing...and we should stop messing around in the ME".
-Saddam causes even more problems. We decide to invade Iraq, because the last invasion worked so well. We remove all Iraqi power
-Shockingly, Iran takes advantage of the power vacuum, and starts causing problems
-US leadership feigns surprise that we're not liked in Iran, and can't imagine why Iranians would possibly not like us. After all, we've made the region such a lovely place for them, and admitting our past errors, and working to help the non-hardliners live a normal life would be insane.

Yep. Whiplash. And that's just two countries we're discussing here.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

a fan wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:42 pm
old salt wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:27 pm Based on what Scowcroft's saying (above), we lost the trust of the world when we invaded Iraq & our charges of WMD proved to be unfounded.
old salt wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:27 pm The inconsistency of our entire post Cold War policy should give the rest of the world a case of whiplash.

-US feigns shock at this new "enemy", and figures its a great idea to bankroll their neighbor, Saddam
-Shockingly, Saddam takes advantage of this US backing, increases his regional power and invades Kuwait
-US feigns shock at this new "enemy", and invades. Opens bases throughout the ME. It escapes attention that we caused every single one of these problems. All of them. No one thinks "hey, maybe the entire problem is what we're doing...and we should stop messing around in the ME".
-Saddam causes even more problems. We decide to invade Iraq, because the last invasion worked so well. We remove all Iraqi power
-Shockingly, Iran takes advantage of the power vacuum, and starts causing problems
-US leadership feigns surprise that we're not liked in Iran, and can't imagine why Iranians would possibly not like us. After all, we've made the region such a lovely place for them, and admitting our past errors, and working to help the non-hardliners live a normal life would be insane.

… really? We caused all of this? ;)
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

jhu72 wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:14 pm

One of my Iranian friends told me that he knew it was bad when streets were named after American Presidents. He was in Middle school when he came here when the Shah fell.

Though my recollections and understanding of Iran are memories frozen the moment I’d left the country in June 1978, I still remember those streets in Tehran named after American Presidents like Kennedy Square, Eisenhower Avenue, Roosevelt Avenue and British heads of state like Elizabeth Street and Winston Churchill Boulevard. Yet soon after the revolution these streets were renamed to honor martyrs of the Islamic Revolution and religious leaders. Kennedy Square is now Tohid Square, Eisenhower Avenue (named after the American President who helped the Shah topple Mossadeq) is Freedom Avenue and Roosevelt Avenue has been renamed Mofateh Avenue. Winston Churchill Boulevard, the site of the British Embassy in Tehran, was renamed Bobby Sands Street after the Irish Republican Army IRA member who went on a hunger strike and died in prison in northern Ireland in 1981. Apparently the British Embassy changed its entrance to another side of the building as they didn’t want the address to be Bobby Sands Street.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
a fan

Post by a fan »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:46 pm

One of my Iranian friends told me that he knew it was bad when streets were named after American Presidents. He was in Middle school when he came here when the Shah fell.
This is why I laugh my *ss off when you hear American Republicans complain about "rewriting history".

What they ACTUALLY mean by that it: we don't want to hear one word about America's past mistakes. If you admit we did something wrong, that means you hate America.

Yet at the same time? They think government is bad and can't get anything right. Good luck squaring these two very Republican ideas: Government is bad; but at the exact same time for them, the US government is flawless, how dare you point out any---even one----mistake the US Government has made.

You could spend decades with a team of psychologists, and STILL not explain how it is these two contradictory ideas make sense to these Americans.

"The US Government IS the problem, and can't get anything right!!!"

"How dare you not stand during the US government song, and tell us anything is wrong with the government!!!"

It's just bananas. And anytime you point this obvious contradiction to these Americans? They get quiet, and you can smell toast burning as they realize that they're not making even a little sense, even to themselves.
old salt

Post by old salt »

You weren't telling me anything 20 years ago, or 30 years ago, for that matter.
...but Jim Webb was.

Iran never had a democracy. In hindsight, our mistake was not anticipating Saddam's invasion of Kuwait in '91 & not deterring it. Failing that, we should have contained him in Kuwait & deterred him from invading Saudi Arabia by parking an aircraft carrier in the Persian Gulf & hammering his forces & supply chain into Kuwait. We could have destroyed his military from the air without putting forces ashore in the ME. Let him keep Kuwait but prevent him from going further. Then sell SA & the Gulf States the weapons & contract advisors needed to defend against Saddam, ...or let them buy him off (which they could have done before he invaded Kuwait).

We could have keep the oil flowing out of the Persian Gulf with Naval & Air power. We didn't need to go ashore, fight a land war, & invade Iraq 3 times in a 30 year war.
a fan

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:32 pm You weren't telling me anything 20 years ago, or 30 years ago, for that matter.
...but Jim Webb was.
Split hairs? Ok. 15 years ago...that better?

Well, we don't have a democracy either, if we're going to split hairs. The US interfered with Iranian Parliament's chosen Prime Minister, and their sovereignty....is that better? So did the UK, of course.
old salt wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:32 pm We could have keep the oil flowing out of the Persian Gulf with Naval & Air power. We didn't need to go ashore, fight a land war, & invade Iraq 3 times in a 30 year war.
Or, we could have ignored that oil, and found other paths for energy. Necessity is the mother of invention. Let market forces work. Could've had financially feasible fracking decades earlier.

Oh well. I'd say: live and learn....but Americans never seem to manage the "learn" part of the equation.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

It's not "Americans" who never learn, it's "Republicans".

Pop quiz:

1) Which president put solar panels on the White House and started a major push for shale oil?

2) Which president tore down the solar panels and canceled government support of the shale oil projects?
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Though my recollections and understanding of Iran are memories frozen the moment I’d left the country in June 1978, I still remember those streets in Tehran named after American Presidents like Kennedy Square, Eisenhower Avenue, Roosevelt Avenue and British heads of state like Elizabeth Street and Winston Churchill Boulevard. Yet soon after the revolution these streets were renamed to honor martyrs of the Islamic Revolution and religious leaders. Kennedy Square is now Tohid Square, Eisenhower Avenue (named after the American President who helped the Shah topple Mossadeq) is Freedom Avenue and Roosevelt Avenue has been renamed Mofateh Avenue. Winston Churchill Boulevard, the site of the British Embassy in Tehran, was renamed Bobby Sands Street after the Irish Republican Army IRA member who went on a hunger strike and died in prison in northern Ireland in 1981. Apparently the British Embassy changed its entrance to another side of the building as they didn’t want the address to be Bobby Sands Street.
You have Iranian friends?? :shock: Looks like someone on this forum is gonna get a cavity search. Make sure you ask for the lube.
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
Typical Lax Dad

cradleandshoot wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:27 pm

You have Iranian friends?? :shock: Looks like someone on this forum is gonna get a cavity search. Make sure you ask for the lube.
Yes. A few from graduate school and one I met when my son went to college. Parent of one of his teammates.

EDIT: one of my friends told me Muhammad Ali was huge in Iran when he was growing up. He said all the kids would argue in grade school about him being their cousin....he also peaked my interest in Alexander. I ended up reading a great book:

https://www.amazon.com/Nature-Alexander ... 039473825X

I highly recommend it. Not many like Alexander have walked the earth. Some parallels to Jesus in his story actually. I like this book because it’s a critical analysis.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:30 pm

Yes. A few from graduate school and one I met when my son went to college. Parent of one of his teammates.
Good for you, I wish I had friends that came from the ME. I know a number of folks that owned stores where I did service work. I don't remember any of them no matter where they came from being anything other than hard working people grateful to be living in America. IMO more Americans should follow their example of what hard work can bring you.
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
Typical Lax Dad

cradleandshoot wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:45 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:30 pm

Good for you, I wish I had friends that came from the ME. I know a number of folks that owned stores where I did service work. I don't remember any of them no matter where they came from being anything other than hard working people grateful to be living in America. IMO more Americans should follow their example of what hard work can bring you.
See my edit above. I wish I knew some native Americans. I have not had a chance to make friends with any. Have plenty of East and West Indian friends. One of the best parts of graduate school was the international students. I am embarrassed to say that the American MBA students were the worst....
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Good article; thank you for posting it.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Devastating article on Russiagate.

https://taibbi.substack.com/p/the-spies ... ed-america

Might be a tad too long for the birdbrains here but such is life.

Amazing sone of these NATSEC people aren’t in jail right now.
old salt

Post by old salt »

Peter Brown wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:10 pm Devastating article on Russiagate.

They'll dismiss it as just another tin foil hat conspiracy, without even reading it.
Even though they worshiped Taibbi when he reported for RS, just as they turned on Glenn Greenwald.

Remarkable that his on-the-record source brought consensual recordings of Halper :
When I listened to my January 10, 2017 recording a few weeks ago, I expected to find boring academic discussions. Instead I found something else.

In the recording Halper laid out what was about to happen to Flynn, something he had no independent reason to know. “I don’t think Flynn’s going to be around long,” he said, adding, “the way these things work” was that “opponents… so-called enemies” of Flynn would be “looking for ways of exerting pressure…that’s how it builds.”

Flynn, he said, would be “squeezed pretty hard,” and Flynn’s “reaction to that is to blow up and get angry. He’s really f#cked. I don’t where he goes from there. But that is his reaction. That’s why he’s so unsuitable.”
Flynn was the appetizer, Trump was the entree'.
a fan

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:25 pm

They'll dismiss it as just another tin foil hat conspiracy, without even reading it
Sometimes we forget that only you and Pete get to dismiss what our government has done.

Because few things are funnier than TrumpApologists lecturing their fellow Americans about ethics in American governance, and how important they are.

So sure, go ahead and tell us about ethical behavior in governance more.....we're just at the edge of our seats. Next thing you'll tell us, it's unethical to profit off of one's position in the Federal Government, right?
old salt

Post by old salt »

a fan wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:14 pm

They'll dismiss it as just another tin foil hat conspiracy, without even reading it
Sometimes we forget that only you and Pete get to dismiss what our government has done.

Because few things are funnier than TrumpApologists lecturing their fellow Americans about ethics in American governance, and how important they are.

So sure, go ahead and tell us about ethical behavior in governance more.....we're just at the edge of our seats. Next thing you'll tell us, it's unethical to profit off of one's position in the Federal Government, right?
Here we go again, the ultimate whataboutism excuse maker. Nothing that Trump did justifies the DoJ, FBI & IC abuses of power marshaled against Flynn, Papadop, Page, Trump & his campaign.

We now have a source, willing to go on the record, with tape recordings. We need to hear, under oath, from him, Halper, Svetlana Lokhova, Azra Turk, Carter Page, Papadop, Flynn, Clovis, Navarro, & any other players in this spy game farce. If they're not Durham's witnesses, Lindsey Graham needs to drag them before the Senate to tell their story. This is why Sullivan's trying to run out the clock -- to muzzle Flynn until after the election.

Here's Taibbi's on-the-record source. He has experiences & GOP bona fides that even MDLF76 would accept.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steven_Schrage
a fan

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:23 pm Here we go again, the ultimate whataboutism excuse maker. Nothing that Trump did justifies the DoJ, FBI & IC abuses of power marshaled against Flynn, Papadop, Page, Trump & his campaign.
You think I'm talking about your Deep State? :lol:

I'm talking about YOU and your TrumpBuddies, and how you've told your fellow Americans to think and act. And worse, how you want your Federal leaders to act.

YOU told us that when your guy is in power, to let all behavior slide. And Trump, of course, has provided Biden, Pelosi, and Schumer the template if he wins.

Get it? So what do you think is coming if Biden wins? All investigation shut down. Every one of them.

And if there are any October surprise indictments out of Barr for your Deep State? Take a wild guess as to what Biden's new AG will do?

That' right. Dismissed charges with a made up "reason" as to why the charges "don't count".
old salt wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:23 pm This is why Sullivan's trying to run out the clock -- to muzzle Flynn until after the election.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: You think anyone outside of Fevered Trump Land gives any thought-----any thought----whatsoever to your now four year old Deep State??

Good luck with that.
old salt wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:23 pm Here's Taibbi's on-the-record source. He has experiences & GOP bona fides that even MDLF76 would accept.
I have not read one single word from this citation that isn't the same recycled babble, where no crime has been committed.

You understand that you get the same breathtaking reportage from the Downing Street memo folks, right? Where Bush heard what he wanted to hear, right? And decided to invade Iraq, and "invented" a reason for the invasion, right? And the reportage sounds iron clad. Except it's not.

Guess what: as with the Downing Street memo....... no one cares, OS.
old salt

Post by old salt »

a fan wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:15 pm
old salt wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:23 pm Here we go again, the ultimate whataboutism excuse maker. Nothing that Trump did justifies the DoJ, FBI & IC abuses of power marshaled against Flynn, Papadop, Page, Trump & his campaign.
You think I'm talking about your Deep State? :lol: It's increasingly difficult to know what you're talking about, as your narrative crumbles.

I'm talking about YOU and your TrumpBuddies, and how you've told your fellow Americans to think and act. And worse, how you want your Federal leaders to act.How many FBI informants have been vectored into the Biden campaign. How many FISA warrants or National Security Letters have been employed against them ? How many intercepts of Biden campaign officials calls have been leaked to the WP ? Compare the treatment the MSM gave Rudy's oppo from Ukraine, to the way they mined Steele's disinformation dossier for months of daily bombshells. The NYT set up a war room just to solicit leaks. A Senate staffer went to jail for leaking to the news bunny he was screwing. ...where are your comparable follies ?

YOU told us that when your guy is in power, to let all behavior slide. And Trump, of course, has provided Biden, Pelosi, and Schumer the template if he wins.That's just non-specific, unsubstantiated hot air. Trump hasn't done anything remotely like what was done to his campaign. The Deep State Jacobins wouldn't do it on his behalf if he tried. They'd be leaking & whistle blowing. Trump got impeached for just suggesting that he might withold aid to Ukraine. Good grief. The ODNI just reported the Russians are trying to damage Biden. ...they're really helping Trump :roll:

Get it? So what do you think is coming if Biden wins? All investigation shut down. Every one of them.
Get what ? Spare me the condescension. You're not telling me anything I don't already know.

And if there are any October surprise indictments out of Barr for your Deep State? Take a wild guess as to what Biden's new AG will do?
Dismiss.

That' right. Dismissed charges with a made up "reason" as to why the charges "don't count".
So that makes it right ? That's why the information al least needs to be exposed.
old salt wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:23 pm This is why Sullivan's trying to run out the clock -- to muzzle Flynn until after the election.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: You think anyone outside of Fevered Trump Land gives any thought-----any thought----whatsoever to your now four year old Deep State?? So why is Flynn still an issue ?

Good luck with that.
old salt wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:23 pm Here's Taibbi's on-the-record source. He has experiences & GOP bona fides that even MDLF76 would accept.
I have not read one single word from this citation that isn't the same recycled babble, where no crime has been committed.
You can no longer dismiss it as tin foil hat conspiracy. He's got Halper on tape saying Flynn was about to be taken down.
...& the "same recycled babble" is now coming from a blue blood GOP & State Dept Deep Stater who's calling out the Banana Republic clowns whose regime change coup turned out to be a comical farce.

You understand that you get the same breathtaking reportage from the Downing Street memo folks, right? Where Bush heard what he wanted to hear, right? And decided to invade Iraq, and "invented" a reason for the invasion, right? And the reportage sounds iron clad. Except it's not.
The exception is our MSM is not reporting it. They're looking the other way because it implicates them.

Guess what: as with the Downing Street memo....... no one cares, OS.
We'll see about that.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

old salt wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:23 pm
a fan wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:14 pm

Here we go again, the ultimate whataboutism excuse maker. Nothing that Trump did justifies the DoJ, FBI & IC abuses of power marshaled against Flynn, Papadop, Page, Trump & his campaign.

We now have a source, willing to go on the record, with tape recordings. We need to hear, under oath, from him, Halper, Svetlana Lokhova, Azra Turk, Carter Page, Papadop, Flynn, Clovis, Navarro, & any other players in this spy game farce. If they're not Durham's witnesses, Lindsey Graham needs to drag them before the Senate to tell their story. This is why Sullivan's trying to run out the clock -- to muzzle Flynn until after the election.

Here's Taibbi's on-the-record source. He has experiences & GOP bona fides that even MDLF76 would accept.
Do you really believe that Judge Sullivan is "trying to run out the clock"?

Return to “POLITICS”