Race in America - Riots Explode in Chicago

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
DMac

Re: Race in America - Riots Explode in Minneapolis

Post by DMac »

ChairmanOfTheBoard wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:25 am
DMac wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:23 am The Trader Joe's accusations of racism and insensitivity was started by a woke teen who learned all about it in school.
Aldi stores are owned by the same people. They and their customers just don't get it like some of the folks here do. They're just not deep enough thinkers, unable to comprehend the depths of their inherent racism.
https://www.supermarketnews.com/consume ... er-ranking
Bedell says she was inspired to create the petition after taking a class focused on human rights, which she credits as making her more aware of the cultural insensitivities around her, including at her local Trader Joe’s store.
https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/teen-cr ... 30536.html
my one takeaway from this saga is, TJ exposed that it maybe never cared about sensitivity; this was purely driven by profit- what does the mob want. you let us know and we'll do it. principles aside.
I don't see this as a matter of indifference to sensitivity or lack of principles, I see it as the non issue that it is but that the media wants to make it. Will agree with, "what does the mob want" but this is true of any business. I'd bet that twenty Trader Joe's customers, made up of many different ethnicities, could sit at a table and joke and laugh about their differences with no one being offended or considering one another racists. Their comments, of course, would make the Mantum's of the world cringe, but then again he can think deeper than any of those folks.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

PB

Brooklyn asked which Democrats don't want blacks to succeed: how about most?

Still waiting ....
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

DMac wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:24 am
DMac wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:23 am The Trader Joe's accusations of racism and insensitivity was started by a woke teen who learned all about it in school.
Aldi stores are owned by the same people. They and their customers just don't get it like some of the folks here do. They're just not deep enough thinkers, unable to comprehend the depths of their inherent racism.
Bedell says she was inspired to create the petition after taking a class focused on human rights, which she credits as making her more aware of the cultural insensitivities around her, including at her local Trader Joe’s store.
my one takeaway from this saga is, TJ exposed that it maybe never cared about sensitivity; this was purely driven by profit- what does the mob want. you let us know and we'll do it. principles aside.
I don't see this as a matter of indifference to sensitivity or lack of principles, I see it as the non issue that it is but that the media wants to make it. Will agree with, "what does the mob want" but this is true of any business. I'd bet that twenty Trader Joe's customers, made up of many different ethnicities, could sit at a table and joke and laugh about their differences with no one being offended or considering one another racists. Their comments, of course, would make the Mantum's of the world cringe, but then again he can think deeper than any of those folks.
It’s not about the customers relationship to each other. I don’t believe it’s a big issue. I have been shopping at TJ’s for 25 years and stereotypes in private label branding never crossed my mind. What would be instructive to TJ’s would be a focus group analysis which is what consumer product and retail companies conduct all the time. It may be something they already do or it may be something they add and it could be part of their plan going forward. I am pretty sure they won’t ignore it. Companies in financial service industries have been doing this for years and with the changing demographic in this country it’s become more important.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
DMac

Post by DMac »

It’s not about the customers relationship to each other.
Gee, thanks (as if I don't get that...guess it's you who doesn't understand what I'm getting at here).
I don’t believe it’s a big issue.
Not only is it not a big issue, it's a non issue except to a seventeen year old woke girl who wants to see Heidi's Kraut name changed because it's stereotyping and racist. Assinine.
What would be instructive to TJ’s would be a focus group analysis which is what consumer product and retail companies conduct all the time.
You really think they haven't done this? Yes, you can bet your asz they haven't ingnored this. Seems as if they've determined that everyone isn't as racist and fragile as you (and Mantum...the deeper thinkers who understand better than most of the rest of us) would like us to believe thay are.
ChairmanOfTheBoard

Post by ChairmanOfTheBoard »

all true- yes. good point.
There are 29,413,039 corporations in America; but only one Chairman of the Board.
Typical Lax Dad

DMac wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:09 am
Gee, thanks (as if I don't get that...guess it's you who doesn't understand what I'm getting at here).
Not only is it not a big issue, it's a non issue except to a seventeen year old woke girl who wants to see Heidi's Kraut name changed because it's stereotyping and racist. Assinine.
What would be instructive to TJ’s would be a focus group analysis which is what consumer product and retail companies conduct all the time.
You really think they haven't done this? Yes, you can bet your asz they haven't ingnored this. Seems as if they've determined that everyone isn't as racist and fragile as you (and Mantum...the deeper thinkers who understand better than most of the rest of us) would like us to believe thay are.
I didn’t say they don’t do it. I said it would be instructive. I would be surprised if they didn’t but you never know. Also, it would have been very easy for them say that “we periodically conduct demographic branding analysis in our markets and have determined that our customers blah blah blah...however, given these changing times we may review the frequency and depth of or analysis to determine if we need to adjust our approach....our customers are important to us blah blah blah....

Fragile?
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

A sad but true fact of life in tRUMP's America.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
DMac

Post by DMac »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:20 am

I didn’t say they don’t do it. I said it would be instructive. I would be surprised if they didn’t but you never know. Also, it would have been very easy for them say that “we periodically conduct demographic branding analysis in our markets and have determined that our customers blah blah blah...however, given these changing times we may review the frequency and depth of or analysis to determine if we need to adjust our approach....our customers are important to us blah blah blah....

Fragile?
Here, I'll print the article for you this time rather thanjust provididng the link as I did the first time. You'll read it this time?

Trader Joe’s Changes Its Mind; Will Not Remove Controversial Packaging
Hannah Rimm
July 31, 2020, 5:51 PM
EDGEWATER, NEW JERSEY – APRIL 10: Due to tightening regulations, lines at stores are forming outside to facilitate social distancing while shopping, like at the Trader Joe’s on April 10, 2020 in Edgewater, New Jersey. COVID-19 has spread to countries throughout the world, claiming nearly 103,000 lives and infecting nearly 1.7 million people. (Photo by Michael Loccisano/Getty Images)
EDGEWATER, NEW JERSEY – APRIL 10: Due to tightening regulations, lines at stores are forming outside to facilitate social distancing while shopping, like at the Trader Joe’s on April 10, 2020 in Edgewater, New Jersey. COVID-19 has spread to countries throughout the world, claiming nearly 103,000 lives and infecting nearly 1.7 million people. (Photo by Michael Loccisano/Getty Images)
More
Earlier this month, Trader Joe’s stated it would be taking steps to amend certain packaging after receiving public backlash spearheaded by a Change.org petition created by Briones Bedell. The petition calls for the removal of the chain’s “racist branding and packaging,” referring to the “Trader Joe’s” modifiers on some of its packaged food items, such as “Trader Ming’s” on the Kung Pao Chicken and “Trader José’s” on Premium Lager from Mexico.

A Trader Joe’s representative originally told ABC News, “While this approach to product naming may have been rooted in a lighthearted attempt at inclusiveness, we recognize that it may now have the opposite effect — one that is contrary to the welcoming, rewarding customer experience we strive to create every day.” The statement went on to say that Trader Joe’s had been in the process of removing all “ethnically” modified versions of Trader Joe’s from its branding in the near future. However, according to a new statement on its website, the grocer has reversed course.

Dated July 24, 2020, the post read: “In light of recent feedback and attention we’ve received about our product naming, we have some things we’d like to say to clarify our approach. […] We want to be clear: we disagree that any of these labels are racist. We do not make decisions based on petitions.” The statement goes on to explain Bedell’s petition and concludes that it will not, in fact, be taking any steps towards removing these modifiers. Instead, the grocer said it makes decisions based on purchasing patterns and feedback from Crew Members and customers. The post ended by solidifying the reasoning behind the decision to keep these labels, “Recently we have heard from many customers reaffirming that these name variations are largely viewed in exactly the way they were intended ­— as an attempt to have fun with our product marketing.”

The two statements, from merely weeks apart, seem contradictory to one another, but the most recent statement is clear. In an email to Refinery29, a spokesperson for Trader Joe’s responded, “Based on customer feedback, over the years, we have changed the names of, or discontinued hundreds of products with name variations of the Trader Joe’s brand.” The spokesperson also restated that none of Trader Joe’s efforts “have ever been the result of a petition. And as for the remaining products containing what the petition called “racist packaging and branding,” Trader Joe’s told Refinery29, “We are continuing to evaluate them and if they resonate with customers, they’ll remain on store shelves. If they don’t, changes will be made.”
Typical Lax Dad

ChairmanOfTheBoard wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:16 am
all true- yes. good point.
https://snapshot.numerator.com/retailer/trader_joes

https://nextcity.org/daily/entry/infogr ... ghborhoods

I am headed there in the next couple of hours....We have 2 within 10 miles of each other.
Last edited by Typical Lax Dad on Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Typical Lax Dad

DMac wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:45 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:20 am

Fragile?
Here, I'll print the article for you this time rather thanjust provididng the link as I did the first time. You'll read it this time?

Trader Joe’s Changes Its Mind; Will Not Remove Controversial Packaging
Hannah Rimm
July 31, 2020, 5:51 PM
More
Earlier this month, Trader Joe’s stated it would be taking steps to amend certain packaging after receiving public backlash spearheaded by a Change.org petition created by Briones Bedell. The petition calls for the removal of the chain’s “racist branding and packaging,” referring to the “Trader Joe’s” modifiers on some of its packaged food items, such as “Trader Ming’s” on the Kung Pao Chicken and “Trader José’s” on Premium Lager from Mexico.

A Trader Joe’s representative originally told ABC News, “While this approach to product naming may have been rooted in a lighthearted attempt at inclusiveness, we recognize that it may now have the opposite effect — one that is contrary to the welcoming, rewarding customer experience we strive to create every day.” The statement went on to say that Trader Joe’s had been in the process of removing all “ethnically” modified versions of Trader Joe’s from its branding in the near future. However, according to a new statement on its website, the grocer has reversed course.

Dated July 24, 2020, the post read: “In light of recent feedback and attention we’ve received about our product naming, we have some things we’d like to say to clarify our approach. […] We want to be clear: we disagree that any of these labels are racist. We do not make decisions based on petitions.” The statement goes on to explain Bedell’s petition and concludes that it will not, in fact, be taking any steps towards removing these modifiers. Instead, the grocer said it makes decisions based on purchasing patterns and feedback from Crew Members and customers. The post ended by solidifying the reasoning behind the decision to keep these labels, “Recently we have heard from many customers reaffirming that these name variations are largely viewed in exactly the way they were intended ­— as an attempt to have fun with our product marketing.”

The two statements, from merely weeks apart, seem contradictory to one another, but the most recent statement is clear. In an email to Refinery29, a spokesperson for Trader Joe’s responded, “Based on customer feedback, over the years, we have changed the names of, or discontinued hundreds of products with name variations of the Trader Joe’s brand.” The spokesperson also restated that none of Trader Joe’s efforts “have ever been the result of a petition. And as for the remaining products containing what the petition called “racist packaging and branding,” Trader Joe’s told Refinery29, “We are continuing to evaluate them and if they resonate with customers, they’ll remain on store shelves. If they don’t, changes will be made.”
I read that previously. What is your point and what did you glean from that? BTW, point me to where I agreed that TJ’s labels were “racist”....Personally I believe the term racist is overused. I would suggest that the labels “could be” considered insensitive....but for TJ’s clientele, it’s not much of an issue. Been shopping there for 25 years and it never crossed my mind. It’s not Aunt Jemima.
DMac

Post by DMac »

What I gleaned from that is that they needed no help from you in recognizing focus group analysis is something they should consider. They're not as stupid as you apparently think they are.
I also gleaned from that, that people aren't offended by a name like Pedro's Tacos, they see it for what it is, while you see it as stereotyping/racist. Of course that's because you're able to understand that these poor souls just don't get it. Racism and stereotyping is so in their DNA (tell me more about 600 years ago and how we just can't help ourselves with racism...you can, but we can't) that they're just incapable of seeing how insensitive and hurtful a product name like Ivan's Vodka is.
Typical Lax Dad

DMac wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:08 pm
What I gleaned from that is that they needed no help from you in recognizing focus group analysis is something they should consider. They're not as stupid as you apparently think they are.
I also gleaned from that, that people aren't offended by a name like Pedro's Tacos, they see it for what it is, while you see it as stereotyping/racist. Of course that's because you're able to understand that these poor souls just don't get it. Racism and stereotyping is so in their DNA (tell me more about 600 years ago and how we just can't help ourselves with racism...you can, but we can't) that they're just incapable of seeing how insensitive and hurtful a product name like Ivan's Vodka is.
Who said they needed help from me? Where did I say it was stereotyping or racist? Do a forum search and let me know....You are hallucinating. Btw, race relations continue to improve in this country. Who said it hasn’t?
Typical Lax Dad

I can see how these things are the same. Poor Ivan
Last edited by Typical Lax Dad on Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

Peter Brown wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:21 am
RedFromMI wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:18 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:01 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:57 pm He// yeah!!!!!

I know you libs (especially limousine libs! The worst!) hate it when black people succeed, especially black women, but I’m here for this!!!!! Congrats young lady! I’m with you 110%!!!

The U.S. Navy’s first Black female tactical air (TACAIR) pilot received her Wings of Gold July 31, marking a significant milestone for Naval Aviation. Virginia native Lt. j.g. Madeline G. Swegle was designated a naval aviator and received her Wings of Gold with 25 classmates during a small ceremony at Naval Air Station (NAS) Kingsville, Texas.

https://www.navy.mil/Press-Office/News- ... d-in-texas
I saw that last week. It’s a great story. A friend, “who happens to be black”, has a daughter that graduated naval academy and another friend “who happens to be white” has a son that completed top gun. Both are American heroes.
What I don't get is why ANYONE would hate it to hear a story like this. PBs strawmen are horrible people that DO NOT EXIST!

Oh they absolutely exist. Because when you are forced to acknowledge that blacks have begun to gain traction in America, you no longer possess the pulpit to scream 'racism' every few seconds. There are many people inside the Democratic Party who wish that blacks never succeed, because for blacks to succeed, that is an indirect validation of capitalism and freedom, two concepts anathema to most American Democrats.

Brooklyn asked which Democrats don't want blacks to succeed: how about most? SCHOOL CHOICE is one of those very visible examples where Democrats side with teacher unions over black parents and black kids.
Absolute BS. And your response again shows such utter lack of logic, and making conclusions not supported by the actual evidence.

Let's take your statements one at a time.

Because when you are forced to acknowledge that blacks have begun to gain traction in America, you no longer possess the pulpit to scream 'racism' every few seconds.

First, this has NOTHING to do with whether a person would hate to hear a success story involving someone who happens to be Black. You seem very uncomfortable with the idea that there are people of all colors who do understand that there has been and continues to be intentional and systemic racism in this country. That fact is why these stories are not common enough! You seem to imply that because _a few_ Blacks have some success, that racism is over with, and you don't want to hear about racism that still exists. Again - a horrible failure of logic.

There are many people inside the Democratic Party who wish that blacks never succeed

Hogwash. Those people have all gone to the Republicans...

because for blacks to succeed, that is an indirect validation of capitalism and freedom, two concepts anathema to most American Democrats.

More of the same hogwash. Your "indirect validation" does not necessarily logically follow for capitalism, in particular. You would need more supporting evidence to make that claim. And to say that those concepts are foreign to Ds is just another piece of evidence of how brainwashed you are by such outlets as Fox News. Again, said without any actual evidence.

Most Ds I know are actually in favor of a capitalism based society - but like Adam Smith, one with certain restrictions that keep the playing field fair for all players. And the notion that Ds are not for freedom is also without any evidence. Only your warped perception of Ds.

And finally the issue of school choice has nothing to do with allowing Blacks to succeed. "School choice" as currently practiced is doing a great job of making some schools worse and poorer, and therefore more unfair. Just like the proliferation of private schools through the South after integration took resources away from the rest of the schools. Again, there is no taking of sides against Black parents and kids - it is an issue of how best to educate all of our children in America, not one of just a select few.

UF might want your degree back...
DMac

Post by DMac »

Who said they needed help from me? Where did I say it was stereotyping or racist? Do a forum search and let me know....You are hallucinating. Btw, race relations continue to improve in this country. Who said it hasn’t?
You clearly made the suggestion as if they weren't smart enough to figure that out already. Read what you wrote, I put it right there in front of you.
Classic, TLD, show me verbatim where I said that. You do understand reading between the lines and understanding the gist of a message, right? You preach to us all about our racist comments and stereotyping when the truth of the matter is you're way out in left field with your interpretation(s) of what many of us are saying (oh, sorry, that's right, we're so eaten up with our white priviledge that we just can't see it like you do).
Nice picture, dig back another couple of hundred years and see what else you can come up with (that only you..well, a couple of others too, can understand the ramifications of).
JFTR, I'm not hallucinating, I'm seeing things clearly...and I've never done a hallucinogetic drug in my life. Sorry.
Typical Lax Dad

DMac wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:46 pm
You clearly made the suggestion as if they weren't smart enough to figure that out already. Read what you wrote, I put it right there in front of you.
Classic, TLD, show me verbatim where I said that. You do understand reading between the lines and understanding the gist of a message, right? You preach to us all about our racist comments and stereotyping when the truth of the matter is you're way out in left field with your interpretation(s) of what many of us are saying (oh, sorry, that's right, we're so eaten up with our white priviledge that we just can't see it like you do).
Nice picture, dig back another couple of years and see what else you can come up with (that only you..well, a couple of others too, can understand the ramifications of).
You read into it. It “seemed” to you so I clarified it. Let the Redskin thing go. Also I am not sure I have ever used the term “white privilege” but I understand what is often meant by it.

“What would be instructive to TJ’s would be a focus group analysis which is what consumer product and retail companies conduct all the time.”

Again, those are my words. A letter from a 17 year old girl is not instructive. Focus groups are instructive. Where did I write “what TJ needs to do.....”. You are hallucinating
DMac

Post by DMac »

Oh yeah, thankfully there are people like you to speak for others. Here, let me put this up for you again which absolutely mirrors my personal experience. But, of course, you understand how insulting it is to these people far better than they do.
http://naguardians.org/polling/
“What would be instructive to TJ’s would be a focus group analysis which is what consumer product and retail companies conduct all the time.”

Again, those are my words.
Yes, those are your words...as if they weren't smart to have already figured that out.

Ivan's Vodka is just wrong, but your telling me I'm hallucinating is quite alright.
Is that the definition of hypocrite?
Typical Lax Dad

DMac wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:20 pm Oh yeah, thankfully there are people like you to speak for others. Here, let me put this up for you again which absolutely mirrors my personal experience. But, of course, you understand how insulting it is to these people far better than they do.

Yes, those are your words...as if they weren't smart to have already figured that out.

Ivan's Vodka is just wrong, but your telling me I'm hallucinating is quite alright.
You are reading something that’s not there. It’s instructive. You are confusing it with “what TJ needs to do”. I clarified it for you but you don’t care. Your mind is made up. 🤷‍♂️ enjoy your Sunday.
Typical Lax Dad

DMac wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:20 pm Oh yeah, thankfully there are people like you to speak for others. Here, let me put this up for you again which absolutely mirrors my personal experience. But, of course, you understand how insulting it is to these people far better than they do.

The Washington Football Team should have kept the name.

https://www.fox13now.com/news/local-new ... ame-change

I believe the mascot name will have very little bearing on the day to day life of most native Americans. My point has always been that negative stereotypes in the mass media aren’t helpful. You are free to disagree...also did I ever say that your experience with what natives that you know have expressed isn’t true?

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/wa ... 1.html?amp
DMac

Post by DMac »

I believe the mascot name will have very little bearing on the day to day life of most native Americans. My point has always been that negative stereotypes in the mass media aren’t helpful. You are free to disagree...also did I ever say that your experience with what natives that you know have expressed isn’t true?
My final words on this Redskins thing, will not go over it again.
"will have little bearing on the day to day life of Native Americans."
You really think so? How 'bout it never did and never would have (that is unless others had to jump in and tell them it would....people like you).

No, you never said my experience with the natives that I know isn't true.
What you did say, in so many words though, is that they're just not smart enough to understand how and why this "negative stereotype", even though they don't see it that way, is just wrong. Again, so very few are able to think as deeply as you and see as clearly as you do.
You have a nice Sunday too.
Oh, and you never answered my hypocrite question.

Return to “POLITICS”