Race in America - Riots Explode in Chicago

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
old salt

Re: Race in America - Riots Explode in Minneapolis

Post by old salt »

Kismet wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:26 pm
old salt wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:17 pm
njbill wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:03 am
old salt wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:12 am If Biden wins, the (D)'s win the Senate & abolish the filibuster, we'll see New Deal/Great Society magnitude change.
AOC & her Squad will be in the vanguard of that change.
I’m not so sure. First of all, Biden, himself is a moderate Democrat by nature. Yes, the left wing of his party will try to pull him to the left. And they might have some successes on some issues. But I don’t think they will prevail across-the-board.

I think Biden will be highly motivated to get things done. He knows the Senate very well and, I suspect, understands that he will need to compromise. I think he will do that. Plus, he is going to have to devote a lot of time and energy to undoing a lot of the things Trump has done: Paris Climate Accord, DACA, Obamacare, etc. And, of course, job number one will be to address the coronavirus issues: health and safety and economy.

So, bottom line, I’m not sure that the “radical” agenda Republicans fear will actually come to pass if Biden is elected and the Democrats take control of the Senate though I suppose your definition of “radical” may differ from mine.

I think the mood of the country favors normalcy and calm, not necessarily a left-wing agenda.
Nancy Pelosi will be a major obstacle to Biden doing moderate compromise deals.
Pelosi + AOC & her Squad will run roughshod over Uncle Joe & any moderate (D)'s who stick their head up.
I guess you have not been paying attention - AOC and her partners have gotten NOWHERE with Dem leadership (Pelosi, Hoyer & Clyburn) since the Dems have been in the majority - In order to maintain control in the House leadership needs to protect the middle moderates who made tier majority and who will insure it remains intact. The people you want to make hay over will have no more real clout than they have now (which isn't much) after the election.

Leadership knows what happened to them after 2008 and not likely to make the same mistake again. Biden is not a radical.

You sound more like DOPUS every day around here.
Let's see what kind of platform comes out of the Convention & who steals the show in Milwaukee. ...if they can find any cops who'll work security.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

ChairmanOfTheBoard wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:42 pm i'm just happy we are even talking about race, and think some have posed interesting theoretical questions.

but we can't define racism, nor agree what it is. does it include neutral comments (there are four white men over there)?

what if a woman from india says i just don't like indian guys. been burned too many times.

i thought context mattered. if that's the case, then when police ask you of the color of your attacker, you can say black male and not be racist.

or does it matter what one is thinking when uttered. sarah jeong: "it's satire"

and what is white? what if you're eastern greek orthodox? light skinned turk? sephardic jew? 3/8th polish and otherwise brown? central asian but white russian? white french muslim? african but identify as white?

if we are painting into a corner, i just want to know what the definition is. and whether we are all equal.
Appreciate your level-headed posts re the subject Chairman.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

tech37 wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:23 pm
ChairmanOfTheBoard wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:42 pm i'm just happy we are even talking about race, and think some have posed interesting theoretical questions.

but we can't define racism, nor agree what it is. does it include neutral comments (there are four white men over there)?

what if a woman from india says i just don't like indian guys. been burned too many times.

i thought context mattered. if that's the case, then when police ask you of the color of your attacker, you can say black male and not be racist.

or does it matter what one is thinking when uttered. sarah jeong: "it's satire"

and what is white? what if you're eastern greek orthodox? light skinned turk? sephardic jew? 3/8th polish and otherwise brown? central asian but white russian? white french muslim? african but identify as white?

if we are painting into a corner, i just want to know what the definition is. and whether we are all equal.
Appreciate your level-headed posts re the subject Chairman.
If you really want to know what “white” is you can start here:

https://www.facinghistory.org/holocaust ... -and-white

According to the Oxford English Dictionary, the first appearance in print of the adjective white in reference to “a white man, a person of a race distinguished by a light complexion” was in 1671. Colonial charters and other official documents written in the 1600s and early 1700s rarely refer to European colonists as white.

“White” became a distinction to limit the human rights of black people. It was a term not used anywhere else on the planet. Unfortunately racism is part of this country’s DNA. Old level headed Chair wants the issue of race to disappear. Good luck wit’ dat.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
DMac

Post by DMac »

If someone said that about your post, you would say, show me where I said that.
So show me where the Chairman said that. The Chairman is indeed reasonable, fair, and posts well thought out posts.
It would be stereotyping to say Norwegians are good skiers, right?
https://www.nbcnews.com/science/environ ... w-n1140606
Typical Lax Dad

DMac wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:11 pm If someone said that about your post, you would say, show me where I said that.
So show me where the Chairman said that. The Chairman is indeed reasonable, fair, and posts well thought out posts.
It would be stereotyping to say Norwegians are good skiers, right?
https://www.nbcnews.com/science/environ ... w-n1140606
My bad.....Chairman “seems” to want the issue of race to go away... It’s aspirational....good luck wit’ dat. I believed Chair’s question was ....what is white anyway? I provided the historical origin of the term along with the purpose. I can link a lecture on it, if you are interested in hearing it. It is a part of history not really discussed.
Last edited by Typical Lax Dad on Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DMac

Post by DMac »

That's your interpretation, certainly not the way I read it.
Typical Lax Dad

DMac wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:24 pm That's your interpretation, certainly not the way I read it.
“Seems” to me wasn’t based on one post..... “seems” is derived from personal interpretation. It is one of those soft words.

EDIT: just because it seems to me to be his position, it doesn’t mean that I am right.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

He// yeah!!!!!

I know you libs (especially limousine libs! The worst!) hate it when black people succeed, especially black women, but I’m here for this!!!!! Congrats young lady! I’m with you 110%!!!

The U.S. Navy’s first Black female tactical air (TACAIR) pilot received her Wings of Gold July 31, marking a significant milestone for Naval Aviation. Virginia native Lt. j.g. Madeline G. Swegle was designated a naval aviator and received her Wings of Gold with 25 classmates during a small ceremony at Naval Air Station (NAS) Kingsville, Texas.

https://www.navy.mil/Press-Office/News- ... d-in-texas
Typical Lax Dad

Peter Brown wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:57 pm He// yeah!!!!!

I know you libs (especially limousine libs! The worst!) hate it when black people succeed, especially black women, but I’m here for this!!!!! Congrats young lady! I’m with you 110%!!!

The U.S. Navy’s first Black female tactical air (TACAIR) pilot received her Wings of Gold July 31, marking a significant milestone for Naval Aviation. Virginia native Lt. j.g. Madeline G. Swegle was designated a naval aviator and received her Wings of Gold with 25 classmates during a small ceremony at Naval Air Station (NAS) Kingsville, Texas.

I saw that last week. It’s a great story. A friend, “who happens to be black”, has a daughter that graduated naval academy and another friend “who happens to be white” has a son that completed top gun. Both are American heroes.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

With law enforcement out of sight, Portland sees second peaceful night of protest
https://www.washingtonpost.com/national ... story.html
DMac

Post by DMac »

I have a friend, who happens to be Asian, (just following suit here, why the mention of color or ethnicity of these heroes seems odd to me) who just got the results from his physical needed to qualify for chopper pilot selection/appointment. Was all good news, I'm saying he's got real good odds of being selected.
Here's a picture of him.
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:01 pm

I saw that last week. It’s a great story. A friend, “who happens to be black”, has a daughter that graduated naval academy and another friend “who happens to be white” has a son that completed top gun. Both are American heroes.
What I don't get is why ANYONE would hate it to hear a story like this. PBs strawmen are horrible people that DO NOT EXIST!
Typical Lax Dad

DMac wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:05 pm I have a friend, who happens to be Asian, (just following suit here, why the mention of color or ethnicity of these heroes seems odd to me) who just got the results from his physical needed to qualify for chopper pilot selection/appointment. Was all good news, I'm saying he's got real good odds of being selected.
Here's a picture of him.
My comment was tongue in cheek.....for Bandito. That’s a cool picture!
DMac

Post by DMac »

Somebody's going to have to help Trader Joe's out (and their customers), they just don't get it. Some of you guys here need to explain to these guys how this is racist and how their white priviledge blinds them from seeing it.
https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/trader- ... 53703.html
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

DMac wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:59 pm Somebody's going to have to help Trader Joe's out (and their customers), they just don't get it. Some of you guys here need to explain to these guys how this is racist and how their white priviledge blinds them from seeing it.
https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/trader- ... 53703.html

I’ve never been to a Trader Joe’s so I’m unsure what this is all about, but because the issue apparently involves Democrats, accusations of racism, and an attempt to extort a corporation, might I say on behalf of all normal Americans, most people once again are laughing at the Democratic Party.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Name those libs.

We'll wait ...
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
DMac

Post by DMac »

The Trader Joe's accusations of racism and insensitivity was started by a woke teen who learned all about it in school.
Aldi stores are owned by the same people. They and their customers just don't get it like some of the folks here do. They're just not deep enough thinkers, unable to comprehend the depths of their inherent racism.
https://www.supermarketnews.com/consume ... er-ranking
Bedell says she was inspired to create the petition after taking a class focused on human rights, which she credits as making her more aware of the cultural insensitivities around her, including at her local Trader Joe’s store.
https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/teen-cr ... 30536.html
ChairmanOfTheBoard

Post by ChairmanOfTheBoard »

DMac wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:23 am The Trader Joe's accusations of racism and insensitivity was started by a woke teen who learned all about it in school.
Aldi stores are owned by the same people. They and their customers just don't get it like some of the folks here do. They're just not deep enough thinkers, unable to comprehend the depths of their inherent racism.
https://www.supermarketnews.com/consume ... er-ranking
Bedell says she was inspired to create the petition after taking a class focused on human rights, which she credits as making her more aware of the cultural insensitivities around her, including at her local Trader Joe’s store.
https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/teen-cr ... 30536.html
my one takeaway from this saga is, TJ exposed that it maybe never cared about sensitivity; this was purely driven by profit- what does the mob want. you let us know and we'll do it. principles aside.
There are 29,413,039 corporations in America; but only one Chairman of the Board.
ChairmanOfTheBoard

Post by ChairmanOfTheBoard »

i must have missed some posts but IF the definition of white now is only some whites. (which resolves the baby/bathwater issue)

to me that means, not all whites are responsible for the ills of society.

if not all whites are responsible (forget contemporaneity for a moment), can they still have privilege? sure, i think so. you can benefit from the misdeeds of others, purely by association of color. and that's a remaining issue.

a 16 year old white girl is hardly responsible for a slave trade 350 years ago, or a discriminatory event 55 years ago, or a racism today that she wasn't involved in (crazy?). but of course she may benefit from each. even if woke.

now that "white" is pinned down. next up for discussion- considering the above definition, what exactly is white privilege. is it based on a color, a descent, a status, or a feel (cue potter stewart). this will be tricky given the definition of white is partial.
There are 29,413,039 corporations in America; but only one Chairman of the Board.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

RedFromMI wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:18 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:01 pm

What I don't get is why ANYONE would hate it to hear a story like this. PBs strawmen are horrible people that DO NOT EXIST!

Oh they absolutely exist. Because when you are forced to acknowledge that blacks have begun to gain traction in America, you no longer possess the pulpit to scream 'racism' every few seconds. There are many people inside the Democratic Party who wish that blacks never succeed, because for blacks to succeed, that is an indirect validation of capitalism and freedom, two concepts anathema to most American Democrats.

Brooklyn asked which Democrats don't want blacks to succeed: how about most? SCHOOL CHOICE is one of those very visible examples where Democrats side with teacher unions over black parents and black kids.

Return to “POLITICS”