Race in America - Riots Explode in Chicago

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Typical Lax Dad

Re: Race in America - Riots Explode in Minneapolis

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

tech37 wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:17 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:14 pm
tech37 wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:12 pm
a fan wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:06 pm
tech37 wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:53 pm
a fan wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:45 pm
tech37 wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:59 pm If Biden wins? What the heck does Joe Biden have to do with cultural issues? Seriously? Biden winning puts power and control one step closer to the far left idiocy you referred to and that the Dems have been toying with. Depending on whom he chooses for VP certainly effects that. Picking Rice would be a much better hedge against the far left gaining more power than someone like Bass.
We're talking about Joe Biden, right? :lol:

Dude, "the lefties are coming" canard sailed over the horizon when America said no to Bernie. Now why do you suppose that happened?

Because America, and Dems in particular, don't want to go left. They want status quo with tiny changes, for good or ill.

And that''s PRECISELY what Biden is going to give Americans, if he manages to win the election. You can relax.
Your opinion. If someone like Bass becomes VP (de facto POTUS), you watch what happens.
Well sure it's my opinion.

Give me five examples as to what nefarious "lefty" things you think Biden can do if the Senate is still in McConnell's hands. I'm at a loss as to what you think he can do. He can't appoint judges. He can't legislate. EO's?
I'm talking about what will happen within the Dem party. The Bernie/AOC wing of the Party will gain power but less so if Rice or Harris is chosen.
How has Pence tempered Trump’s impact on the GOP?
Try to focus...we're discussing the D Party. Right? Whataboutism doesn't work here especially since, right now, I don't expect Trump to win.
I was discussing logic.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
tech37

Post by tech37 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:19 pm
tech37 wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:59 pm If Biden wins? What the heck does Joe Biden have to do with cultural issues? Seriously? Biden winning puts power and control one step closer to the far left idiocy you referred to and that the Dems have been toying with. Depending on whom he chooses for VP certainly effects that. Picking Rice would be a much better hedge against the far left gaining more power than someone like Bass.

Dude, "the lefties are coming" canard sailed over the horizon when America said no to Bernie. Now why do you suppose that happened?

Because America, and Dems in particular, don't want to go left. They want status quo with tiny changes, for good or ill.

And that''s PRECISELY what Biden is going to give Americans, if he manages to win the election. You can relax.
Your opinion. If someone like Bass becomes VP (de facto POTUS), you watch what happens.

Give me five examples as to what nefarious "lefty" things you think Biden can do if the Senate is still in McConnell's hands. I'm at a loss as to what you think he can do. He can't appoint judges. He can't legislate. EO's?
I'm talking about what will happen within the Dem party. The Bernie/AOC wing of the Party will gain power but less so if Rice or Harris is chosen.
Try to focus...we're discussing the D Party. Right? Whataboutism doesn't work here especially since, right now, I don't expect Trump to win.
I was discussing logic.
:lol: Good one
Typical Lax Dad

tech37 wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:21 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:19 pm

I was discussing logic.
:lol: Good one
Logic is good. Understanding logic is one of the hallmarks of SAT/ACT exams. It’s better to understand logic than to not understand it. Do you agree?
a fan

Post by a fan »

tech37 wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:12 pm I'm talking about what will happen within the Dem party. The Bernie/AOC wing of the Party will gain power but less so if Rice or Harris is chosen.
This is made up nonsense, tech. And yes, that's my opinion. And yes, this is more evidence that you're a lot further right than you think you are.

The American people----and the National Dems---had their chance to pick between a more lefty future, and a center future.

The REJECTED the Bernie/AOC wing, Tech. They said no, they want the same old same old. So much so, that they picked the two time VP the last time the Dems were in power. It doesn't get more "give me the same breakfast I've been eating for a decade" than that.

You're not paying attention to the reality of the situation here, and are instead, letting foaming at the mouth "oh my G8d, the world is changing!!" fake-conservatives make you think that the dumb thoughtless kids in Portland are controlling our government.

AOC has no power, Tech. None. Pelosi is holding all the power. Name a bill AOC has passed. You can't. All she can do is make political theater in Committee. I've checked her record. Of the bills she's cosponsored, she got a handful signed into law. Wanna hear an example of the handful of bills passed?

To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 8320 13th Avenue in Brooklyn, New York, as the "Mother Frances Xavier Cabrini Post Office Building".

Wow. What a radical. Boy, that's some Earth shattering lefty legislation. ;)

If you REALLY want to talk about actual changes, and an actual moving of the country in a new direction? McConnell has to lose. If that happens? Oh boy, look out. A new dawn in America, no question whatsoever. Schumer is the man to fear, Tech, if you're in fear that the lefties are coming to get you.

And as you know, you don't want to get sucked into the "a fan" vortex when I ask you to give me an example of lefty legislation----and I point out that Trump has already signed this or that into law. And by "the vortex", you mean me calmly walking you through actual facts. ;)

Have a great weekend! Stay safe out there!
old salt

Post by old salt »

a fan wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:16 pm
old salt wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:08 pm
a fan wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:45 pm If Biden wins? What the heck does Joe Biden have to do with cultural issues? Seriously? Biden winning puts power and control one step closer to the far left idiocy you referred to and that the Dems have been toying with.
...based on what Obama said yesterday, if the (D)'s win the Senate, the filibuster is likely gone.
That has nothing to do with Biden. Or Obama, for that matter. That's Schumer's call. You're talking about legislation here.
What's Biden going to do? (nothing, especially if McConnell is running the real, actual show)
It has everything to do with Biden. You're operating from the premise that the (R)'s will hold the Senate. That's hardly assured if Biden wins. If he does win, he will have had to energize his base sufficiently to beat Trump in enough swing states. If that happens, there's a good chance he's turned out enough votes to take back the Senate too. Obama signaled yesterday that if the (D)'s win the Senate, they intend to change the rules to eliminate the Jim Crow filibuster. Do you expect your (R) Senator in CO to hold his seat ?
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

a fan wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:53 pmIt doesn't get more "give me the same breakfast I've been eating for a decade" than that.
a fan, you're a reasonable man. a pleasure to read.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
a fan

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:57 pm It has everything to do with Biden. You're operating from the premise that the (R)'s will hold the Senate. That's hardly assured if Biden wins. If he does win, he will have had to energize his base sufficiently to beat Trump in enough swing states. If that happens, there's a good chance he's turned out enough votes to take back the Senate too. Obama signaled yesterday that if the (D)'s win the Senate, they intend to change the rules to eliminate the Jim Crow filibuster. Do you expect your (R) Senator in CO to hold his seat ?
How many "if's" did you have to go through to get through this sentence?

Even "if" all this happens...... Biden's the symptom, not the actual problem if you're freaking out over "the libs".

The actual problem, which I identified for you and tech in this very thread, is if the R's lose the Senate.

Biden is center right. Want a wager? If Biden wins, he strengthens ties with NATO. Hardly a "crazy lib" move. The "crazy lib" move, is things like pulling troops out of Germany.

After that? Biden is pointless, and can't really actually do anything.

He can't put judges on the bench.

He can't legislate.

So what does this mean? Biden ain't your problem in the "If"-laden post above. Chuck Schumer is. Wanna fear someone? At least put it in the right place, and fear him.
old salt

Post by old salt »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:11 pm
old salt wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:05 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:35 pm
old salt wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:33 pm
hickorystick wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:43 pm Anyone ever wonder why there so few people who participate at this forum? Could it be that it oozes sanctiimonious judgement of others and belittling statements about their intellect and ability to comprehend.
Wow, what a bunch of uppity f**Ks!
Yep.
How dem race wars you were talking about going these says?

Charlie says Helter Skelter is coming.... what happened to Get It To Genetically Superior guy?
Taking an interesting positive turn. Last night in Portland, reportedly, black protesters stood in front of the fence around the court house, blocking access by the white anarchist rioters.

You second question confuses me. Which group is genetically superior ? ...or are you confusing genetics with genitalia again ?
What are the two sides of the race war in Portland and which race has benefited from the positive turn. I thought a race war would have gathered more attention but it’s probably the liberal media. That's why I cited the emerging division between the black BLM protesters & the white anarchist rioters as a positive. The BLM protesters are starting to distance themselves from the anarchist rioters, at least for one night in Portland. As for genetic superiority, It wasn’t your position. So why bring it into a reply to me ?Old Get it to C is a eugenics man.

Why are you hung up on my pointing out the issue of intersex births? I'm not. You were so graphic it stuck with me.I mentioned it once or twice in the context of a discussion on homosexuality and it stuck with you along with your other frequent scatological references.......your penis didn’t fully form or something ...like this.?
Typical Lax Dad

old salt wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:09 pm
hickorystick wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:43 pm Anyone ever wonder why there so few people who participate at this forum? Could it be that it oozes sanctiimonious judgement of others and belittling statements about their intellect and ability to comprehend.
Yep.

Charlie says Helter Skelter is coming.... what happened to Get It To Genetically Superior guy?
Taking an interesting positive turn. Last night in Portland, reportedly, black protesters stood in front of the fence around the court house, blocking access by the white anarchist rioters.

You second question confuses me. Which group is genetically superior ? ...or are you confusing genetics with genitalia again ?
What are the two sides of the race war in Portland and which race has benefited from the positive turn. I thought a race war would have gathered more attention but it’s probably the liberal media. That's why I cited the emerging division between the black BLM protesters & the white anarchist rioters as a positive. The BLM protesters are starting to distance themselves from the anarchist rioters, at least for one night in Portland. As for genetic superiority, It wasn’t your position. So why bring it into a reply to me ?Old Get it to C is a eugenics man.

Why are you hung up on my pointing out the issue of intersex births? I'm not. You were so graphic it stuck with me.I mentioned it once or twice in the context of a discussion on homosexuality and it stuck with you along with your other frequent scatological references.......your penis didn’t fully form or something ...like this.?
I wasn’t graphic. I probably had a link to a scholarly article. I believe I may have mentioned that my wife covered it in a biology course but it stuck with you. You have brought it up several times. I have forgotten that I posted a bout it but you provide a constant reminder.

I still don’t know who was waging a race war that you cited. It’s your words not mine. The last “race wars” in this country were probably in 1918/1919....not really a war but much closer to war than what we are witnessing today.

old salt

Post by old salt »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:26 pm
Yep.

I wasn’t graphic. I probably had a link to a scholarly article. I believe I may have mentioned that my wife covered it in a biology course
Thanks for sharing.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

a fan wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:53 pm
tech37 wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:12 pm I'm talking about what will happen within the Dem party. The Bernie/AOC wing of the Party will gain power but less so if Rice or Harris is chosen.
This is made up nonsense, tech. And yes, that's my opinion. And yes, this is more evidence that you're a lot further right than you think you are.
Further right? :roll:

The American people----and the National Dems---had their chance to pick between a more lefty future, and a center future. You act as though it's over when it's a continuous process. You do this often. The D party will continue to give increased power to the far left ideologues, it's inevitable. If Bass is chosen as VP it will hasten the process.

The REJECTED the Bernie/AOC wing, Tech. They said no, they want the same old same old. So much so, that they picked the two time VP the last time the Dems were in power. It doesn't get more "give me the same breakfast I've been eating for a decade" than that. Biden means nothing, he's a prop, a fixture...he will perform as he's told to for as long as possible.

You're not paying attention to the reality of the situation here, and are instead, letting foaming at the mouth "oh my G8d, the world is changing!!" fake-conservatives make you think that the dumb thoughtless kids in Portland are controlling our government. This could not be further from the truth. I wasn't even discussing "change" per se. I was simply opining on what I think will eventually transpire in the D Party.

But since you insist on branding me changephobic, If they can make it on the ballot in time, I will support a third party whose platform is based on unity. Now how is that fear of change?

AOC has no power, Tech. None. Pelosi is holding all the power. Name a bill AOC has passed. You can't. All she can do is make political theater in Committee. I've checked her record. Of the bills she's cosponsored, she got a handful signed into law. Wanna hear an example of the handful of bills passed? This is all tangential to the discussion.

To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 8320 13th Avenue in Brooklyn, New York, as the "Mother Frances Xavier Cabrini Post Office Building".

Wow. What a radical. Boy, that's some Earth shattering lefty legislation. ;)

If you REALLY want to talk about actual changes, and an actual moving of the country in a new direction? McConnell has to lose. If that happens? Oh boy, look out. A new dawn in America, no question whatsoever. Schumer is the man to fear, Tech, if you're in fear that the lefties are coming to get you.

And as you know, you don't want to get sucked into the "a fan" vortex when I ask you to give me an example of lefty legislation----and I point out that Trump has already signed this or that into law. And by "the vortex", you mean me calmly walking you through actual facts. ;)

Have a great weekend! Stay safe out there!
Typical Lax Dad

old salt wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:40 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:26 pm
Yep.

I wasn’t graphic. I probably had a link to a scholarly article. I believe I may have mentioned that my wife covered it in a biology course
Thanks for sharing.

🤡
holmes435

Post by holmes435 »

The more things change, the more they stay the same. An anti-MLK cartoon from the 1960's exaggerating the "riots and violence and looting" angle.

a fan

Post by a fan »

tech37 wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:07 pm You act as though it's over when it's a continuous process. You do this often. The D party will continue to give increased power to the far left ideologues, it's inevitable. If Bass is chosen as VP it will hasten the process.
Sure, it's a continuous process. But there's NO WAY you can tell me you're a moderate and tell me that the left hasn't been weakened, and weakened year after year since Reagan showed up.

Here's a question that will lay that bare: name the top five pieces of major, America-altering lefty legislation/policies since Reagan left office. Not Court decisions----Federal legislation. And here's the kicker: it has to be Dem legislation/policies. So a Dem POTUS policy, or Dem legislation signed by a D POTUS, as that's what you're afraid of here.

Good luck getting to five. Biggest one I can think of predates Reagan by quite a bit.....the Great Society. I wasn't even born for that one.

Yet I can name centrist/right wing policies & legislation until the cows come home. Or lefty policies executed by Republicans...my common rant around here, as you know.

The lefties lost the war they fought in the 60's by a New York Mile. It's not even a close call. Globally, we're several gigantic steps to the right of all 1st world nations. Heck, they're even undoing things the left fought for when it comes to voting rights. It's plain silly to think we're running massively to the left.

My opinion, of course!

tech37 wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:07 pm Biden means nothing, he's a prop, a fixture...he will perform as he's told to for as long as possible.
By whom? McConnell? Good luck with that.
tech37 wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:07 pm But since you insist on branding me changephobic, If they can make it on the ballot in time, I will support a third party whose platform is based on unity. Now how is that fear of change?
Then help vote McConnell out. He's your enemy here. If he stays in, I'd be delighted----overjoyed---- to wager $10k, and give you 10-1 odds that not one single piece of meaningful legislation will pass if Biden wins.

McConnell is clearly, plainly the problem in DC. Replace him with, say, Romney? You'll get the unity and sanity you seek. Romney and Biden could work together with no problem, and Romney will actually act like a conservative instead of the power-hungry nutjob that is Mitch. Imagine that?

And I'm not calling YOU changephobic. I'm saying that you are listening to the changephobic righty media with their wild-eyed, exaggerated ideas as to what the Dems will do. It's silly campaign nonsense.

Can you answer this question: what legislation do you think these powerless lefty Dems will pass that makes you so worried?
a fan

Post by a fan »

Matnum PI wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:01 pm
a fan wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:53 pmIt doesn't get more "give me the same breakfast I've been eating for a decade" than that.
On behalf of the slightly insane crew here, thank you for hosting us! ;)
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

a fan wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:55 pm
Matnum PI wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:01 pm
On behalf of the slightly insane crew here, thank you for hosting us! ;)
+1 👏
ChairmanOfTheBoard

Post by ChairmanOfTheBoard »

i'm just happy we are even talking about race, and think some have posed interesting theoretical questions.

but we can't define racism, nor agree what it is. does it include neutral comments (there are four white men over there)?

what if a woman from india says i just don't like indian guys. been burned too many times.

i thought context mattered. if that's the case, then when police ask you of the color of your attacker, you can say black male and not be racist.

or does it matter what one is thinking when uttered. sarah jeong: "it's satire"

and what is white? what if you're eastern greek orthodox? light skinned turk? sephardic jew? 3/8th polish and otherwise brown? central asian but white russian? white french muslim? african but identify as white?

if we are painting into a corner, i just want to know what the definition is. and whether we are all equal.
There are 29,413,039 corporations in America; but only one Chairman of the Board.
old salt

Post by old salt »

a fan wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:48 pm McConnell is clearly, plainly the problem in DC. Replace him with, say, Romney? You'll get the unity and sanity you seek. Romney and Biden could work together with no problem, and Romney will actually act like a conservative instead of the power-hungry nutjob that is Mitch. Imagine that?

Can you answer this question: what legislation do you think these powerless lefty Dems will pass that makes you so worried?
McConnell's in the job because he can hold his caucus in line. No way Romney can do that.

You continue to operate from the premise that the (R)'s will hold the Senate.
That looks less likely every week the virus burns it's way through the country.

If Biden wins, the (D)'s win the Senate & abolish the filibuster, we'll see New Deal/Great Society magnitude change.
AOC & her Squad will be in the vanguard of that change.
old salt

Post by old salt »

holmes435 wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:22 pm The more things change, the more they stay the same. An anti-MLK cartoon from the 1960's exaggerating the "riots and violence and looting" angle.

I don't attribute them to MLK, but the riots of the '60's were not a joke. That's no exaggeration.

https://www.encyclopedia.com/history/en ... he%20riots.

As now, white protest groups , with their own agendas, fanned the flames.
Today we have antifa, the anarchists, & a few white supremacists, stirring things up.
In the '60's we had the SDS & Weather Underground, distinct from the Black Panthers & Nation of Islam.
Like now, they had their own agenda which was not the same as the peaceful black protesters.
The peaceful protest groups included the SCLC, NAACP, CORE, & SNCC.
Typical Lax Dad

old salt wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:20 am
holmes435 wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:22 pm The more things change, the more they stay the same. An anti-MLK cartoon from the 1960's exaggerating the "riots and violence and looting" angle.

I don't attribute them to MLK, but the riots of the '60's were not a joke. That's no exaggeration.

https://www.encyclopedia.com/history/en ... he%20riots.

As now, white protest groups , with their own agendas, fanned the flames.
Today we have antifa, the anarchists, & a few white supremacists, stirring things up.
In the '60's we had the SDS & Weather Underground, distinct from the Black Panthers & Nation of Islam.
Like now, they had their own agenda which was not the same as the peaceful black protesters.
The peaceful protest groups included the SCLC, NAACP, CORE, & SNCC.

Return to “POLITICS”