Race in America - Riots Explode in Chicago

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
a fan

Re: Race in America - Riots Explode in Minneapolis

Post by a fan »

youthathletics wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:37 pm Your post is quite confusing....you are arguing he is a genius and insert he's a lobbyist, as if that metters in his decision, then finsih with 'we are gutting out cities', that tends to validate his decision, which is primarily about gov't lack of leadership.
The genius was sarcastic. I pointed out that he's a lobbyist for what I thought was an obvious reason: the man is paid to organize information and petition the government. Why didn't he use those skills to help his community?

The answer, of course, is that he doesn't really care all that much about his community, so long as he's taken care of....

Once he can't have his afternoon tea in peace? That's it, he's done.
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

a fan wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:44 pm
youthathletics wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:37 pm Your post is quite confusing....you are arguing he is a genius and insert he's a lobbyist, as if that metters in his decision, then finsih with 'we are gutting out cities', that tends to validate his decision, which is primarily about gov't lack of leadership.
The genius was sarcastic. I pointed out that he's a lobbyist for what I thought was an obvious reason: the man is paid to organize information and petition the government. Why didn't he use those skills to help his community?

The answer, of course, is that he doesn't really care all that much about his community, so long as he's taken care of....

Some great stuff happening in Portland. Your friends there must be cool with this then.
kids cops.jpg
kids cops.jpg (87.13 KiB) Viewed 1594 times
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

kramerica.inc wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:41 pm Of course it’s been happening for years. It’s why many cities are gutted, as you said.

He understands the difference between the haves and have nots.

His contention is that he is in the “have” camp, has paid his taxes, been the dutiful citizen, and that’s still not enough.

I don’t generally think a fan is a seething leftie, but his post on this matter may as well have been written by one. Class Warfare 101, pick the most meaningless piece of an article and pivot around that to hate the author. Real estate in DC will crash 25%+ and a fan will still think it’s about enjoying tea at the St Regis.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

6ftstick wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:47 pm

Some great stuff happening in Portland. Your friends there must be cool with this then.

kids cops.jpg
Teach em young. The sad part is there is a plethora of FLP folks on this forum that will see nothing wrong with teaching little chillern to F**k the police. Maybe when the police no longer respond and they tell you the victim to go and F**k yourselves things may change. The cops could easily use some new tactics that would make everybody happy. Shots fired, we ain't responding, we are on break. We will show up after all the concerned parties have blown one another away. We will make our reports... nobody saw anything. We will tape off the crime scene. We will stand by while the bodies go to the morgue and the FD hoses the blood off of the street. If the attitude of the the average citizen is now F**k the police, why can't the police maintain the very same attitude... F**k you Joe and Betty citizen? Sarcasm font is engaged for all of you FLP dimwits out there. :roll:

# SBLM... :roll:
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

his point probably would've been more strongly made, even if his intentions obfuscated, had he left the st regis tea bit out.

so i'm glad he left it in, for perspective.

still... i asked a bit ago about solutions for portland. branch 'em out. who's got 'em? short, medium, long.

most of what seems to drive our debate here seems to be about anecdotal stories (which we can assume have some elements of truth as one side of the story), and narratives that we seem to latch onto from either side of the coin.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

wgdsr wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:23 pm his point probably would've been more strongly made, even if his intentions obfuscated, had he left the st regis tea bit out.

still... i asked a bit ago about solutions for portland. branch 'em out. who's got 'em? short, medium, long.

most of what seems to drive our debate here seems to be about anecdotal stories (which we can assume have some elements of truth as one side of the story), and narratives that we seem to latch onto from either side of the coin.
My only solution is to let the people that run Portland and their police department to solve the problem on their own. My one stipulation would be not one single dollar of federal money goes to you when you decide to rebuild. If you want to go it alone then you go it alone. That sounds fair to me. If you want the feds to leave you be, that means for the whole kit and caboodle. You all get the honors of fixing this on your own and paying for it on your own. When your standing in the ruins of your city don't ask the rest of us to lend you a hand... your all on your own.
Bob Ross:
a fan

Post by a fan »

kids cops.jpg
So we're back to believing everything we see posted by "some guy on the internet", not five minutes after chastising "the libs' for believing the initial Covington video, are we 6ft?
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

The “haves” are the enemy to the left. Why?

This guy paid his taxes, he was not a drain on programs or a negative member of society. Yet it was still not enough. These mayors are insisting this bull shirt be beat down the throats of everyone.

And there in lies the real rub with the left. They think everyone should be vocal proponents of their cause dujour. If not, be labeled “intolerant” or “racist.” We saw it with the Gay marriage issue a few years ago, BLM today.

I’ve always contended that most of society has zero opinion about these issues, does not care what others do, and just wants to be left alone, and be left free from having this garbage foisted upon them. Mind your own business. Stay out of mine.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

wgdsr wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:23 pm his point probably would've been more strongly made, even if his intentions obfuscated, had he left the st regis tea bit out.

https://www.theatlantic.com/business/ar ... nd/492035/

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/07/26/us/p ... index.html

What ever the issues are, local people are in the best position to move it forward. Outside agitators (On both sides) aren’t helpful
Last edited by Typical Lax Dad on Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“I wish you would!”
CU77

Post by CU77 »

kramerica.inc wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:03 pm Longtime City Dweller says Goodbye to DC:

https://humanevents.com/2020/07/23/good ... ington-dc/

This is how many, many people who left city life feel.

Despite what the left wants you to believe, and the actions of pandering mayors, government-mandated sympathy is not a thing. And this is why many people are not supporting in BLM.
Quoting from that piece: "That’s why, when DC’s Mayor Bowser spray painted “Black Lives Matter” in front of my tea spot, I knew I was done. Not because of the issue itself or the cause (remember I don’t really care) but because through her actions, Browser effectively mandated empathy."

So the writer lets us know that he doesn't care about people being murdered by police (and doesn't seem to get that the mistrust this engenders might have something to do with the social problems he complains about). He also didn't like that the city painted something on the street, but was apparently perfectly happy with the nearby monument to a racist traitor (Albert Pike).

Seems he wants to stay in his bubble where an unjust society is just fine as long as it doesn't affect him. I completely agree that far too many people are like this guy.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:38 pm My only solution is to let the people that run Portland and their police department to solve the problem on their own. My one stipulation would be not one single dollar of federal money goes to you when you decide to rebuild. If you want to go it alone then you go it alone. That sounds fair to me. If you want the feds to leave you be, that means for the whole kit and caboodle. You all get the honors of fixing this on your own and paying for it on your own. When your standing in the ruins of your city don't ask the rest of us to lend you a hand... your all on your own.
Can we please apply this to all the red states too?
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

CU77 wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:14 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:38 pm My only solution is to let the people that run Portland and their police department to solve the problem on their own. My one stipulation would be not one single dollar of federal money goes to you when you decide to rebuild. If you want to go it alone then you go it alone. That sounds fair to me. If you want the feds to leave you be, that means for the whole kit and caboodle. You all get the honors of fixing this on your own and paying for it on your own. When your standing in the ruins of your city don't ask the rest of us to lend you a hand... your all on your own.
Can we please apply this to all the red states too?
If the red states wanna burn their cities down, I have no problem applying this to them as well. To my knowledge nobody in Dallas is trying to burn the city down. Those open carry laws may be a little intimidating I guess. :D
Bob Ross:
a fan

Post by a fan »

kramerica.inc wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:49 pm This guy paid his taxes, he was not a drain on programs or a negative member of society.
Yes he is ABSOLUTELY a "drain on programs". How do you think a lobbyist---especially one specializing in getting jobs for energy companies--- gets paid, kramerica? Why do you think he lives in DC in the first place? Is he there for the awesome summer humidity?
kramerica.inc wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:49 pm I’ve always contended that most of society has zero opinion about these issues, does not care what others do, and just wants to be left alone, and be left free from having this garbage foisted upon them. Mind your own business. Stay out of mine.
Yes. Of course.

But our government has stopped solving problems. And this guy helps show why. His problems are taken care of------he can take an uber if the Metro sucks. Now how do you suppose this guy will vote if theres a bill for improved Metro service that will tax him more?

In Denver, know how they handle problems with infrastructure money shortages? Toll lanes. That's great for guys like me who can afford it. Everyone else? F them, right?

He doesn't understand that he's part of the problem, Kram. They never do.

And btw, the part he intentionally leaves out-----and you know better, Kram----is that DC isn't a sovereign city.
a fan

Post by a fan »

wgdsr wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:23 pm still... i asked a bit ago about solutions for portland. branch 'em out. who's got 'em? short, medium, long.
Let's clarify here: solutions to what, precisely?
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

a fan wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:30 pm
wgdsr wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:23 pm still... i asked a bit ago about solutions for portland. branch 'em out. who's got 'em? short, medium, long.
Let's clarify here: solutions to what, precisely?
your choice.
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

a fan wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:47 pm

kids cops.jpg
So we're back to believing everything we see posted by "some guy on the internet", not five minutes after chastising "the libs' for believing the initial Covington video, are we 6ft?
So you're back to creating moral equivalencies between surmised expressions (covington) and actual sign carrying affirmations of FK the police.
Think those moms will sue.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

How about we first recognize that the protests are justified, and yes, even the rioting is the direct result of the systemic issues that plague our society.

So, any "solutions" better address those systemic issues, not the transitory symptoms.

On the systemic issues, I believe the federal government has an essential role, as the issues are not simply local, they are society-wide. While hot zone issues of race and poverty tend to be concentrated with population demographics, they are not addressable solely on a local basis nor do they only impact locally.

The issue of the role that the federal government versus state and county/city should play in tailoring those resources to each locality is to be favored to local decision making to be closer to the populace, but because of the fundamental systemic nature of the bias at work, they can't be solely left to the status quo power structure. Not, that is, if you actually want "solutions".

Policing is even more so to be heavily favored to be local, not federal. Certainly when it comes to mere protection of property. Should the federal government play ANY role? Only if there's clear systemic bias in the power structure that needs to be addressed, ala Kennedy's decision in the civil rights enforcement actions necessary to enforce federal law. But that was not the protection of property, that was the protection of the constitutional rights of the citizenry.

Bottomline, focus on the systemic issues, not some buildings that need to be replaced after riots. Prevent the justification for outrage, and thus prevent future such riots.

Prosecute those who destroy, but don't seek to 'dominate' your populace with force. That will only lead to more outrage, if not immediately, eventually.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

a fan wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:47 pm

kids cops.jpg
Are you telling me that disgusting picture 6foot posted is photo shop? If not why did you not take the time to comment on that? You kind of breezed off onto the Covington issue. Assuming this photo has not been doctored... what say you about it? Does the message trouble you at all?
Bob Ross:
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

so an overall construct of how to proceed. short term on riots (protests?).

what are the solutions? besides "focus".
a fan

Post by a fan »

cradleandshoot wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:03 pm Are you telling me that disgusting picture 6foot posted is photo shop? If not why did you not take the time to comment on that? You kind of breezed off onto the Covington issue.
I didn't "breeze off" to anything.

1. the Covington kid just settled his lawsuit. 6ft and others cited the story this week.
2. the moral of the Covington story was: don't trust videos or photos taken by "some guy on the internet'. That's what the WaPo, and Covington Catholic School both did. They assumed they understood what they saw. They were wrong, and paid a price.
3. 6ftstick has cited that story many times.

So that's where I arrived at #4:

4. 6ft, just days later, posts a photo from "some guy on the internet", assuming it's real. Assuming it's in Portland, and taking the photo at face value.

Get it?

So you have either one of two choices:

A. Either don't believe what you see on the internet posted by "some guy on the internet". (that's what I choose)

Or, B. you're on the side of the WaPo. You're saying that WaPo SHOULD have assumed that view was true, and they had the whole story. Any time you see an image or video on the internet, it's real, it's the whole story, and you, as the viewer, get to invent the story to fit your agenda.

Sixfootstick chooses B.

Which one do you choose, Cradle?

Return to “POLITICS”