Progressive Ideology

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
seacoaster

Re: Progressive Ideology

Post by seacoaster »

old salt wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:56 pm
CU77 wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:23 pm AOC on the House floor, after Yoho called her a f****** b**** on the steps of the Capitol (heard by a reporter), then lied about it on the floor of the House.
Dehumanizing language is not new, and what we are seeing is that incidents like these are happening in a pattern. This is a pattern of an attitude towards women and dehumanization of others. So while I was not deeply hurt or offended by little comments that are made—when I was reflecting on this, I honestly thought that I was just going to pack it up and go home. It’s just another day, right? But then yesterday Rep. Yoho decided to come to the floor of the House of Representatives and make excuses for his behavior, and that I could not let go. I could not allow my nieces, I could not allow the little girls that I go home to, I could not allow victims of verbal abuse and worse to see that, to see that excuse and to see our Congress accept it as legitimate, and to accept it as an apology, and to accept silence as a form of acceptance. I could not allow that to stand, which is why I’m rising today to raise this point of personal privilege. And I do not need Rep. Yoho to apologize to me. Clearly, he does not want to. Clearly, when given the opportunity, he will not. And I will not stay up late at night waiting for an apology from a man who has no remorse over calling women and using abusive language towards women. But what I do have issue with is using women, “our wives and daughters,” as shields and excuses for poor behavior. Mr. Yoho mentioned that he has a wife and two daughters. I am two years younger than Mr. Yoho’s youngest daughter. I am someone’s daughter too. My father, thankfully, is not alive to see how Mr. Yoho treated his daughter. My mother got to see Mr. Yoho’s disrespect on the floor of this House towards me on television. And I am here because I have to show my parents that I am their daughter and that they did not raise me to accept abuse from men. Now, what I am here to say is that this harm that Mr. Yoho levied, tried to levy against me, was not just an incident directed at me. But when you do that to any woman, what Mr. Yoho did was give permission to other men to do that to his daughters. In using that language in front of the press, he gave permission to use that language against his wife, his daughters, women in his community, and I am here to stand up to say that is not acceptable.
https://twitter.com/cspan/status/1286315637275598849

AOC is the same age as my daughter, within a month.
Seek family counseling. You'll get past this crisis.

How soon we forget her Squad sister who was declared a hero for calling the President a Mother F-er at a rally.
Woke Double Standard.
Such a silly and shameful response. Gratuitous blather. No one who has a foot in modernity could have been anything but impressed with Ocasio-Cortez on the floor of the House yesterday. She cleaned up on Yono and tossed his dishrag ass in the garbage. You are a relic, a dusty fragile relic. Bye Felicia.
old salt

Post by old salt »

seacoaster wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:40 pm
CU77 wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:23 pm AOC on the House floor, after Yoho called her a f****** b**** on the steps of the Capitol (heard by a reporter), then lied about it on the floor of the House.
Dehumanizing language is not new, and what we are seeing is that incidents like these are happening in a pattern. This is a pattern of an attitude towards women and dehumanization of others. So while I was not deeply hurt or offended by little comments that are made—when I was reflecting on this, I honestly thought that I was just going to pack it up and go home. It’s just another day, right? But then yesterday Rep. Yoho decided to come to the floor of the House of Representatives and make excuses for his behavior, and that I could not let go. I could not allow my nieces, I could not allow the little girls that I go home to, I could not allow victims of verbal abuse and worse to see that, to see that excuse and to see our Congress accept it as legitimate, and to accept it as an apology, and to accept silence as a form of acceptance. I could not allow that to stand, which is why I’m rising today to raise this point of personal privilege. And I do not need Rep. Yoho to apologize to me. Clearly, he does not want to. Clearly, when given the opportunity, he will not. And I will not stay up late at night waiting for an apology from a man who has no remorse over calling women and using abusive language towards women. But what I do have issue with is using women, “our wives and daughters,” as shields and excuses for poor behavior. Mr. Yoho mentioned that he has a wife and two daughters. I am two years younger than Mr. Yoho’s youngest daughter. I am someone’s daughter too. My father, thankfully, is not alive to see how Mr. Yoho treated his daughter. My mother got to see Mr. Yoho’s disrespect on the floor of this House towards me on television. And I am here because I have to show my parents that I am their daughter and that they did not raise me to accept abuse from men. Now, what I am here to say is that this harm that Mr. Yoho levied, tried to levy against me, was not just an incident directed at me. But when you do that to any woman, what Mr. Yoho did was give permission to other men to do that to his daughters. In using that language in front of the press, he gave permission to use that language against his wife, his daughters, women in his community, and I am here to stand up to say that is not acceptable.

How soon we forget her Squad sister who was declared a hero for calling the President a Mother F-er at a rally.
Woke Double Standard.
Such a silly and shameful response. Gratuitous blather. No one who has a foot in modernity could have been anything but impressed with Ocasio-Cortez on the floor of the House yesterday. She cleaned up on Yono and tossed his dishrag ass in the garbage. You are a relic, a dusty fragile relic. Bye Felicia.
Maybe your therapist will give you a two-fer on anger management.
Gratuitous name calling indicates intellectual shallowness & an inability to interact with others with whom you disagree.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

seacoaster wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:40 pm

Woke Double Standard.
He is being replaced.
“I wish you would!”
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Peter Brown wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:20 pm The libs are losing their Twitter shinola over a new research paper put out today by Mike Bloomberg's favorite welfare scholar, Lawrence Mead. Larry doesn't mince his research words so he is in the act of being canceled by the Left! I give NYU at best one week before they are forced to fire this 77 year old man. :lol:

You guys are insane!

https://link.springer.com/article/10.10 ... 20-00496-1
I used my university credentials to download & read it.

It's not a research paper, it's an opinion piece. (It says "COMMENTARY" in large letters at the top.) It makes many statements of alleged fact with no references. It's only 5 pages long, and lightly referenced overall (just 20 references total, many to opinion pieces from the 80s and 90s).

It also is not new: a footnote says "This article is drawn from his Burdens of Freedom: Cultural Difference and American Power (Encounter Books, 2019)."

Here's an amazon customer review of that book:
I attended a seminar hosted by Mead in 2016 where he outlined the premise of this book, back when he was still having difficulty finding a publisher on account of it being, well, horribly racist.

When pressed on the numerous real-world examples of cultures flouting his thesis on individuality, he would hem and haw and explain why they were an "exception." Well, you can only have so many exceptions before they become the rule. Later, Mead (quite revealingly) told a story about how his initial introduction into academia was hampered by affirmative action, as institution after institution hired "less qualified" minorities into positions that -- he believed that -- he deserved.

It fails on its premise and completely sidesteps things like post-colonial and materialist analyses. This book is just an excuse for Mead to couch white supremacy and genetic racism in the language of "culture."
CU77

Post by CU77 »

old salt wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:56 pm Seek family counseling.
More gratuitous personal insults from o.s., who has nothing else to offer.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Let them die off.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
tech37

Post by tech37 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:27 pm Let them die off.
Nice post as usual Junior. How long do you plan to allow yourself to live? Do you have plans to off yourself at 65? 70?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Keep evolving or shuffle off. If you don’t want to do so then rage as you walk deeper into the ocean.

But please stop acting like you are sophisticated, thoughtful or empathetic and considerate. These games a few of you play are far more transparent nonsense than you think you are pulling off. Bogus pretense of good faith that's transparently not is observed all day and night. You all remind me of the guy in a car raging at someone else for a perceived slight but can't handle the heat if someone wants to pull you over and address it and start playing the victim. Some older folks here who somehow have forgotten how to put their big boy pants on and live in this ever changing world.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:52 pm Keep evolving or shuffle off. If you don’t want to do so then rage as you walk deeper into the ocean.

But please stop acting like you are sophisticated, thoughtful or empathetic and considerate. These games a few of you play are far more transparent nonsense than you think you are pulling off. Bogus pretense of good faith that's transparently not is observed all day and night. You all remind me of the guy in a car raging at someone else for a perceived slight but can't handle the heat if someone wants to pull you over and address it and start playing the victim. Some older folks here who somehow have forgotten how to put their big boy pants on and live in this ever changing world.
Well Junior, as the ever-changing world evolves, there are still moral questions to consider. Don't confuse your idea of raging fixtures with those who simply recognize and attempt to preserve some semblance of right from wrong through the storm. Despite how evolved you are, you're probably too young, naive, and confused to realize that?

Your disdain for older folks reminds me of the White Privilege crowd that prejudge and cast blame on all white people simply because they have existed in a certain time and place. You're doing the same myopic thing, but with age. So evolved...

Let's coin a new phrase/label here on fanlax, just for you... "Boomer Privilege"
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Yeah, I don't bother distinguishing between right and wrong. Open your mind to questions you hadn't considered before. Note the key word you use which is "PRESERVE". Preserve your way, an unwillingness to move with the flatter world. Preserve for whom? Not all of humanity, for you. With longer life one would expect more wisdom, not a rejection of anything new or different. That's what is going on. Narrative fallacy by someone who doesn't get it and lecturing others, exactly what you claim I'm doing. Am I saying all old people, or old people who refuse to participate and fight the tide out of fear of their world changing at all? Not claiming I'm evolved, only that I'm open to questioning my world and what I know unlike you and some others.

You think I am somehow upset at being called Junior? I have a Junior who's 7, about to turn 8. He responds when called Junior. Reverting some pretense of balance doesn't make your EQ higher, it's just another heuristic used out of fear of a world that's passed one by. Enjoy fooling yourself.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

tech37 wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:14 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:52 pm Keep evolving or shuffle off. If you don’t want to do so then rage as you walk deeper into the ocean.

Well Junior, as the ever-changing world evolves, there are still moral questions to consider. Don't confuse your idea of raging fixtures with those who simply recognize and attempt to preserve some semblance of right from wrong through the storm. Despite how evolved you are, you're probably too young, naive, and confused to realize that?

Your disdain for older folks reminds me of the White Privilege crowd that prejudge and cast blame on all white people simply because they have existed in a certain time and place. You're doing the same myopic thing, but with age. So evolved...

Let's coin a new phrase/label here on fanlax, just for you... "Boomer Privilege"
Reading is fundamental.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:43 am Yeah, I don't bother distinguishing between right and wrong. Open your mind to questions you hadn't considered before. Note the key word you use which is "PRESERVE". Preserve your way, an unwillingness to move with the flatter world. Preserve for whom? Not all of humanity, for you. With longer life one would expect more wisdom, not a rejection of anything new or different. That's what is going on. Narrative fallacy by someone who doesn't get it and lecturing others, exactly what you claim I'm doing. Am I saying all old people, or old people who refuse to participate and fight the tide out of fear of their world changing at all? Not claiming I'm evolved, only that I'm open to questioning my world and what I know unlike you and some others.

You think I am somehow upset at being called Junior? I have a Junior who's 7, about to turn 8. He responds when called Junior. Reverting some pretense of balance doesn't make your EQ higher, it's just another heuristic used out of fear of a world that's passed one by. Enjoy fooling yourself.

Are we allowed to preserve that which has made America the wealthiest country in the history of the world? Or should we break that down and start afresh, perhaps something along the lines of Venezuela?

Are we allowed to look toward the nuclear family as a goal, or should cast that aside in favor of something like a 'Bob Menendez' trip to Casa de Campo with underage prostitutes?

Are we allowed to uphold our heritage, warts and all, or should unlearn that in favor of today's history?

Are we allowed to compete anymore, or should English teachers make allowances for crap English and grade according to background?

Should we allow leftist anarchists to burn down federal courthouse buildings, to 'get the rage out', or should we preserve some law and order?

tell us. farfromgeneva, which parts of America will you erase and what will you create?

Also, tell me me maximum federal and state income tax rate, because that's where the rubber meets the road, always...my wallet, and you trying to get into it.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:43 am Yeah, I don't bother distinguishing between right and wrong. Open your mind to questions you hadn't considered before. Note the key word you use which is "PRESERVE". Preserve your way, an unwillingness to move with the flatter world. Preserve for whom? Not all of humanity, for you. With longer life one would expect more wisdom, not a rejection of anything new or different. That's what is going on. Narrative fallacy by someone who doesn't get it and lecturing others, exactly what you claim I'm doing. Am I saying all old people, or old people who refuse to participate and fight the tide out of fear of their world changing at all? Not claiming I'm evolved, only that I'm open to questioning my world and what I know unlike you and some others.

Based on your posts I've read, I don't know what you distinguish between.

It's quite presumptuous of you to draw conclusions when you have never met me or the friends I associate with. You should ask yourself where that arrogance and perceived certainty comes from... Insecurity perhaps?

Yes, "preserve" as in the Constitution. Of course laws need to be reconsidered as society progresses but within that moral framework.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

tech37 wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:15 am

It's quite presumptuous of you to draw conclusions when you have never met me or the friends I associate with. You should ask yourself where that arrogance and perceived certainty comes from... Insecurity perhaps?

Yes, "preserve" as in the Constitution. Of course laws need to be reconsidered as society progresses but within that moral framework.
To which 'moral framework' are you referring, tech?
I assume you mean the Constitution, but "moral framework" seems to imply something more?

Can you explain this more fully?
It would be interesting to examine more distinctly, in detail, what you see as the moral framework our "laws" that "need to be reconsidered as society progresses".

And where you see evidence of such "moral framework".

Are there substantial flaws, contradictions, within this "moral framework"?
Do they matter?

Just trying to take the conversation to a more interesting level than back and forth insults...
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

tech37 wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:15 am

To which 'moral framework' are you referring, tech?
I assume you mean the Constitution, but "moral framework" seems to imply something more?

Can you explain this more fully?
It would be interesting to examine more distinctly, in detail, what you see as the moral framework for our "laws" that "need to be reconsidered as society progresses".

And where you see evidence of such "moral framework".

Are there substantial flaws, contradictions, within this "moral framework"?
Do they matter?

Just trying to take the conversation to a more interesting level than back and forth insults...
Last edited by MDlaxfan76 on Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

tech37

Post by tech37 »

Another excellent Weinstein podcast, this with Matt Taibbi:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xojSWHrar9A

I recommend everyone watch/listen if you haven't already.
ChairmanOfTheBoard

Post by ChairmanOfTheBoard »

i did go and listen to some of weinstein's work- the one with his brother wasnt too interesting but his wife is super smart and has a very calming delivery. she's very impressive.
There are 29,413,039 corporations in America; but only one Chairman of the Board.

Return to “POLITICS”