Johns Hopkins 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Re: Johns Hopkins 2021

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

jhu06 wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:45 am
LaxPundit07 wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:30 pm Any word on DOLO hire?
that acronym sounds too much like a WOMBAT word.
-no reason why the university can't sell hopkins masks. we are a medical place. they won't stop being cool.
-no reason university can't do weekly game watches w/alumni. the last decade was pitiful, time to reintroduce a generation of kids to school lore. Why does Hopkins hate fun?
-what I like about grant as someone who has never met the man, is that this staff is walking into a lions den and he's a lot older than a crawley or boyle or someone else you guys mentioned, has his own credentials, his own success and isn't going to be in awe of anyone, anything or any chirping.
-I could never figure out what I thought of changing jerseys/helmet combos every week. as an increasingly senile online message board poster I guess I'm supposed to be against it.
You left out:
- get off my lawn!
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

HopFan16 wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:14 pm Watched the first two Denver Outlaws games of the MLL tournament in Annapolis this week. Junior can barely move (probably needs a knee replacement) but his vision is still outstanding. Has had a handful of assists in each game—still finding ways to be productive on the field at age 45.

More relevant for us however is the overall Outlaws offense, which he also coordinates. If our offense looks anything like this one I think some here will be delighted. There is very little north-south midfield dodging from up top. Pretty much everything is initiated from behind the cage or the wing. Virtually every goal came off of ball movement. Not too many shots taken beyond 8-10 yards from the goal and even fewer taken on the run. No obsessing about switching matchups, no wasted shot clock. Zippy ball movement, quick tempo, catch and move, cutting, picking.

Granted, it's pro lax, so defense is optional, but I was pleasantly surprised by how much of it was team offense, given how little time they had to prepare as a team before this COVID-shortened tournament. I assumed it would be mostly hero dodging—some offenses do a lot of that, but not Junior's.
Yeah, it looked like Junior could barely walk much less play lacrosse. Still he was pretty much picking the defense apart with pinpoint passes. The other thing I noticed was how Denver pushed transition at every opportunity. Could be an exciting offense to watch this spring, God willing. Junior promised the band was going to be playing a lot next year. I may need to move to another section.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:49 am
I agree, but I was never able to get any of the kids I coached to do so, including my son when he decided to switch to the net in 8th grade. They don't want to be slowed down. (and of course have a screw or two loose as it is). He did finally start to wear some baggy sweats, recognizing that gave him a little more protection, especially when he went down to the ground, and also could catch a few shots in the folds.

The stupidity of having players in shorts in the freezing cold, though, always blew my mind...really, really dumb. my son had a college coach like that.
You seem to have both played goalie and coached the position. I'm just wondering what you think has been the problem(s) with the Jay's goaltending all these years since pretty much Bassett graduated. Has it been a lack of talent, over coaching, too much pressure? I'm just wondering what your take is on our goalie woes.

I believe Junior can improve the offense and Keosterer can put together a passable defense, albeit with a clear lack of experience there. However, I'm still a little worried about the goal tending moving forward. Is this a situation that can be remedied?
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:39 pm
I agree, but I was never able to get any of the kids I coached to do so, including my son when he decided to switch to the net in 8th grade. They don't want to be slowed down. (and of course have a screw or two loose as it is). He did finally start to wear some baggy sweats, recognizing that gave him a little more protection, especially when he went down to the ground, and also could catch a few shots in the folds.

The stupidity of having players in shorts in the freezing cold, though, always blew my mind...really, really dumb. my son had a college coach like that.
You seem to have both played goalie and coached the position. I'm just wondering what you think has been the problem(s) with the Jay's goaltending all these years since pretty much Bassett graduated. Has it been a lack of talent, over coaching, too much pressure? I'm just wondering what your take is on our goalie woes.

I believe Junior can improve the offense and Keosterer can put together a passable defense, albeit with a clear lack of experience there. However, I'm still a little worried about the goal tending moving forward. Is this a situation that can be remedied?
IMO a lot of it had to do with the defensive packages. Too often they were over complicated and easily broken down by opposition. They focused far too much on when and where the first slide originated and if they all where not in concert, it broke down. Schematics took priority and offenses too advantage.

Turnbaugh was a great HS and club goalie. He didn’t just loose it all in college
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
viper

Post by viper »

I'm not too worried about the defensive side of the ball. Keosterer inherited a defense at UMBC that was ranked very low (in the 50's if I remember correctly) and within a year had it in the top 20 defenses and last year I believe it was one of the nation's top ranked defenses before the season ended. With all due respect to UMBC - there incoming recruits were far less lauded that many on the current JHU roster (if that even means anything!). It's hard to imagine the defense not gettng better from where it has been in recent years.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

I've posted about this a few times over the years, Sag.

I'm too far away from the specific experience goalies have had this past decade at Hopkins to think that I know for sure. There have certainly been reports (squashed quickly back in LP days by the mods) of coaching style that was potentially quite adverse to the nurturing and development of goalies. The kind of harsh critique directed at players that has everyone 'squeezing the stick too tight'. I dunno if that's true, but certainly could have been. It's not uncommon in some coaches.

I did not think that the addition of goalie specific coach, even one with the superb personal career in the net, was going to suddenly change the trajectory of goalie development but I allowed as to how it might help, especially if it changed the general tone to more supportive (if that was the trouble). I could see from the stands various technical aspects that a coach could tweak, but it was difficult to say whether those were more mental disciplines or lack of training...either way, the right coach can help build the skills and the confidence in those skills.

I've also come to realize that as much as I've been a student of the position, when I've watched my son coach the position I've been blown away by how much more conscious he is in his coaching and analysis of players. Very detailed on all the little disciplines, the philosophy of each movement. His eye is much better than mine. Like me, he had limited physical talents, so made up for it by focus on the little elements that add up to reduce angles, improve probabilities, as well as the mental aspects, quieting one's mind in the moment to pure focus, while also exhibiting all the leadership skills that make such a difference to the defense. It's not about how loud one is (though there's certainly lots of directing) but rather the resilience, the 'next shot, next play' attitude. Defenses respond to this, especially when things get rough...as they inevitably will. And of course, defenses love it when their goalie bails them out with a big inside save. Trust is super important.

Where I did have more insight, or at least had more basis for such, was in the recruitment process. What was objectively observable was that in several successive years, Hopkins was the first announced goalie commitment. Way, way too early IMO to tell whether a goalie would ultimately develop into a highly competitive college tender. Way too much time between their play in 8th and 9th and even 10th grade to truly know where their psyches would be as they matured further. The recruiting of tenders in that era (by lots of coaches who didn't really know the position) was based on observable athleticism. Which can be markedly different based on physical maturation. what I didn't see among many of those tenders was clear steadiness under pressure, disciplines of stick position, footwork, etc. Just athleticism against lesser shots...

But even more importantly, perhaps, year after year that announced first pick by Hopkins 'blew up', either while still in HS and never made it to Hopkins or stopped their development or never made the jump once they got to Hop. This meant last minute shuffles. I was watching a lot of these kids over those years as my own son was playing the position, so I saw a lot of them play in summer ball etc. For whatever reason, the kids I thought showed the most promise longer term weren't the ones chosen by Hopkins. Were these just the wrong picks, too early? Or just bad luck? But certainly Hopkins was not alone in whiffing, but it was a long stretch. Not that the tenders ultimately on the field weren't capable players, just for some reason they fell short of the excellence necessary to lift the team.

One data point that was disturbing was that the 5th year grad transfer played far less well for Hopkins than at his former Big 10 school...

So, back to the development and psychological nurturing of the guys you have...it takes a lot of conscious work.

I'd be generally optimistic, at this point, that Hopkins will have some strong goaltending over the next decade.

Gotta say, though, that those of us who have watched Hopkins over the generations have been a bit 'spoiled' by so many truly outstanding players...
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

youthathletics wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:52 pm

IMO a lot of it had to do with the defensive packages. Too often they were over complicated and easily broken down by opposition. They focused far too much on when and where the first slide originated and if they all where not in concert, it broke down. Schematics took priority and offenses too advantage.

Turnbaugh was a great HS and club goalie. He didn’t just loose it all in college
Turnbaugh was a great HS athlete. Not particularly disciplined, very athletic.
He was actually a late shuffle as I recall.

Did he have the tool set to be developed in college, make that leap?
I'd have guessed yes, but I watched him play in HS and was far less impressed than those blowing his horn when he came to Homewood.

He needed work. But I did think he could be developed.
I didn't like all the horn tooting, because I think that stuff can get in the way of the hard work of development.

Certainly a great defense will help a tender perform better. But the reality is that what a great team needs is a tender who gives the defense confidence, when the sh-t hits the fan, when things break down, the tender steps up.

There's been a general critique of the defense as too complicated. As I alluded to above, it may have been more a "squeezing the stick too tight' issue, the micromanagement during games, the harsh critiques of errors, that freeze players rather than unleashing their full potential.

Again, I don't know if this applied to Hopkins for sure, but certainly it is true that sometimes coaches, in their effort to get to a cohesive 'perfect', actually diminish the creativity and resilience of the players. Afraid to make mistakes, a step too slow on a slide, a lack of consciousness of the need to support their fellow player if beaten, etc. A lack of confidence in the scheme, because of a lack of confidence in oneself...or fear of being next to be ripped by a coach...
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Man that is a lot of words to say "Not completely sure, could have been due to coaching style, could have been because they committed to kids too early in their development."

Koesterer did not say this explicitly but on the alumni call last month he strongly implied that, having watched the film from this year, he came away with the impression that the defense did not trust each other. Needless to say that alone can lead to all kinds of breakdowns in defending and goaltending. If that's the case, it's a culture thing that starts at the top. A fresh start should be good for everybody. Koesterer has a reputation for being an excellent teacher/developer of defensive talent.

Hopkins and UMBC shared two common opponents this year: Mount St. Mary's and Towson.

Hopkins gave up 19 combined goals in those games. Its goalie went a combined 51%.

UMBC, meanwhile, gave up a combined 9 goals to those teams, while its goalie went 71%.

The same two opponents. 10 goal and 20% save difference. Small sample size but let's be honest if the sample was any bigger it'd probably look even worse for us.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

You're getting testy in your old age HF16 - I have always respected MD's opinion and views especially when it comes to goaltending. The truth of the matter is - unless you are a member of the team or one of the 4 former coaches every single one of us is relying either on heresay/2nd hand info or pure SWAG. As much of a stats guy as I can be - there might be some extenuating circumstances between the UMBC and Hopkins differentials. The MSM game for Hop came at the end of a 4 game losing streak and several thrashings. In addition - the COVID writing was starting to get serious. I don't want to take anything away from MSM - they should have won the game - and I don't want to discount JK's talent as a DC but there was certainly a lack of focus that could have been "this season's gone" from either standpoint.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:18 am Man that is a lot of words to say "Not completely sure, could have been due to coaching style, could have been because they committed to kids too early in their development."

Koesterer did not say this explicitly but on the alumni call last month he strongly implied that, having watched the film from this year, he came away with the impression that the defense did not trust each other. Needless to say that alone can lead to all kinds of breakdowns in defending and goaltending. If that's the case, it's a culture thing that starts at the top. A fresh start should be good for everybody. Koesterer has a reputation for being an excellent teacher/developer of defensive talent.

Hopkins and UMBC shared two common opponents this year: Mount St. Mary's and Towson.

Hopkins gave up 19 combined goals in those games. Its goalie went a combined 51%.

UMBC, meanwhile, gave up a combined 9 goals to those teams, while its goalie went 71%.

The same two opponents. 10 goal and 20% save difference. Small sample size but let's be honest if the sample was any bigger it'd probably look even worse for us.
:D yes, I tend to be wordy. ;)

I just took it as a serious question.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Your insight is always welcome, MDLF76! Thanks for the detailed posts!

DocBarrister :)
@DocBarrister
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:56 am
youthathletics wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:52 pm

Turnbaugh was a great HS athlete. Not particularly disciplined, very athletic.
He was actually a late shuffle as I recall.

Did he have the tool set to be developed in college, make that leap?
I'd have guessed yes, but I watched him play in HS and was far less impressed than those blowing his horn when he came to Homewood.

He needed work. But I did think he could be developed.
I didn't like all the horn tooting, because I think that stuff can get in the way of the hard work of development.

Certainly a great defense will help a tender perform better. But the reality is that what a great team needs is a tender who gives the defense confidence, when the sh-t hits the fan, when things break down, the tender steps up.

There's been a general critique of the defense as too complicated. As I alluded to above, it may have been more a "squeezing the stick too tight' issue, the micromanagement during games, the harsh critiques of errors, that freeze players rather than unleashing their full potential.

Again, I don't know if this applied to Hopkins for sure, but certainly it is true that sometimes coaches, in their effort to get to a cohesive 'perfect', actually diminish the creativity and resilience of the players. Afraid to make mistakes, a step too slow on a slide, a lack of consciousness of the need to support their fellow player if beaten, etc. A lack of confidence in the scheme, because of a lack of confidence in oneself...or fear of being next to be ripped by a coach...
I believe a player like Evan Zinn will have a break out year. He just never seemed comfortable.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:59 pm I believe a player like Evan Zinn will have a break out year. He just never seemed comfortable.
I really hope so—anyone who has been here the last few years knows I am extremely high on his potential—but as a dodging middie who does a lot of work on the run I am mildly curious to see how he fits into a Grant Jr./Milliman offense that uses more box and Canadian concepts, and less alley dodging. Junior literally said the days of constant alley dodging are over and I'd be lying if I said I didn't immediately wonder what that might mean for Zinn's development. There is always a place for a kid with his elite speed and athleticism (and if he works on his accuracy—his cannon of an outside shot) no matter what the exact scheme is but depending on what the offense looks like I would not be shocked if he is asked to be a different type of player from what Petro wanted him to be. Maybe that won't be a bad thing. Having seen his high school highlights he is clearly capable of more than just shooting on the run from up top.
Typical Lax Dad

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:28 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:59 pm I believe a player like Evan Zinn will have a break out year. He just never seemed comfortable.
I really hope so—anyone who has been here the last few years knows I am extremely high on his potential—but as a dodging middie who does a lot of work on the run I am mildly curious to see how he fits into a Grant Jr./Milliman offense that uses more box and Canadian concepts, and less alley dodging. Junior literally said the days of constant alley dodging are over and I'd be lying if I said I didn't immediately wonder what that might mean for Zinn's development. There is always a place for a kid with his elite speed and athleticism (and if he works on his accuracy—his cannon of an outside shot) no matter what the exact scheme is but depending on what the offense looks like I would not be shocked if he is asked to be a different type of player from what Petro wanted him to be. Maybe that won't be a bad thing. Having seen his high school highlights he is clearly capable of more than just shooting on the run from up top.
See #27 and #31 in red:

ohmilax34

Post by ohmilax34 »

I don't know who #31 is in the video, but I know #27 is Connor Fletcher and from being his fantasy coach for 4 years I can tell you a little about his game. He's big, often draws the long stick match up and doesn't score many points. However, his role in the offense is usually drawing a slide from the defense.

Denver's offense seemed to stall in recent years. It seems like they needed more guys who could break down a defense. I'm not saying college defenses have totally figured out how to defend 2-man game stuff, but players who can force slides will always have value.

I don't think the alley dodge is going away permanently. Like most things in sports, it will be cyclical. When defenses stop trying to defend alley dodges and goalies are less accustomed to stopping those shots, then alley dodgers will be all the rage. Syracuse's 1st midfield line had guys who like alley dodging. They were able to be pretty efficient. Also, guys who are alley dodgers can theoretically dodge to the middle of the field too. With some practice.

I think the new coaches will find a way to get the most out of Zinn.
Typical Lax Dad

ohmilax34 wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:30 pm I don't know who #31 is in the video, but I know #27 is Connor Fletcher and from being his fantasy coach for 4 years I can tell you a little about his game. He's big, often draws the long stick match up and doesn't score many points. However, his role in the offense is usually drawing a slide from the defense.

Denver's offense seemed to stall in recent years. It seems like they needed more guys who could break down a defense. I'm not saying college defenses have totally figured out how to defend 2-man game stuff, but players who can force slides will always have value.

I don't think the alley dodge is going away permanently. Like most things in sports, it will be cyclical. When defenses stop trying to defend alley dodges and goalies are less accustomed to stopping those shots, then alley dodgers will be all the rage. Syracuse's 1st midfield line had guys who like alley dodging. They were able to be pretty efficient. Also, guys who are alley dodgers can theoretically dodge to the middle of the field too. With some practice.

I think the new coaches will find a way to get the most out of Zinn.
Yes. Dowiak was 31? In 2018 that midfield was one of the highest scoring in the country. My guess is Zinn will be fine. He has ability. It will come together for him.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:37 am
One data point that was disturbing was that the 5th year grad transfer played far less well for Hopkins than at his former Big 10 school...

So, back to the development and psychological nurturing of the guys you have...it takes a lot of conscious work.

I'd be generally optimistic, at this point, that Hopkins will have some strong goaltending over the next decade.

Gotta say, though, that those of us who have watched Hopkins over the generations have been a bit 'spoiled' by so many truly outstanding players...
Thank you for the detailed analysis!
The data point you mention is significant. What happens when you bring a good player to a bad culture? This is my current fear. You can fix the schemes on offense on defense but how do you fix what's in the goalies' heads? Harder problem.
Even with new tenders coming in I worry the current culture will just rub off on them.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:43 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:37 am

Thank you for the detailed analysis!
The data point you mention is significant. What happens when you bring a good player to a bad culture? This is my current fear. You can fix the schemes on offense on defense but how do you fix what's in the goalies' heads? Harder problem.
Even with new tenders coming in I worry the current culture will just rub off on them.
I'd be more optimistic, totally new staff, undoubtedly will have everyone feeling that it's a clean slate and every player needs to prove themselves to be a good teammate just to make the roster.

Again, I don't know for sure if there was indeed a 'culture' problem, but if there was, simply the change in who is coaching, who is interacting individually with these young men, will inevitably create the opportunity for change.

Rightly or wrongly, I was a critic of the 'culture' at UVA and it was a major focus for Tiffany and his assistants when they came in. It changed, at least to the outside eye, quite quickly. Mostly the same players and then players recruited by the former staff.

They outwardly changed the expectations, dropped a key player for off-field choices, held open tryouts, made cuts, and ran the heck out of them in preparation for a very different style of play. And they focused hard on internal trust building.

No one could take anything for granted and everyone needed to adapt. Leaders emerged.

It was also a very fun program to watch.

Will that happen for Hopkins?
I don't know, but there's a chance of it.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

Sag A: re: rub off.

I am not as worried about that, because of Gameday conditions.

The problem, up and down the field, can be summed up with two keywords:

“Rabbit Ears”

A very-well informed parent first told me of that problem back in 2006.

Players afraid to make plays - too afraid of making mistakes. Creates a lot of conservative play.

And on the field, players were listening for the sideline.

That’s more easily visualized of its effect on the offense, ball carrier, or defense.

I’m sure it impacted between the ears of goalies too. Maybe moreso in practice than on Gameday though.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Recent article on John Crawley as a college coach: https://www.uslaxmagazine.com/college/m ... lege-coach

He struck me as not only a good player, but also a class act.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”