VIRGINIA Lacrosse

D1 Mens Lacrosse
youthathletics

Re: VIRGINIA Lacrosse

Post by youthathletics »

HowieT3 wrote:
Laxter wrote:Anyone have a report from the alumni game?
Dribs and drabs on The Sabre. One report said Lamb scored 4 goals.
Good for Ryan, he can fit anywhere in that offense and produce.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
HowieT3

Post by HowieT3 »

Per posts on The Sabre and in the Marist site here, Marist @ UVa 4/20. It replaces the game from last year vs, Vermont played in CT.
52 70 72 99
03 06 11 19 21
ABClaxfan

Post by ABClaxfan »

It doesn’t look like Connor Shellenburger signed today based off of UVA's twitter. Is this cause for concern or just that he isn’t getting a scholarship because he lives in state?
dek

Post by dek »

ABClaxfan wrote:It doesn’t look like Connor Shellenburger signed today based off of UVA's twitter. Is this cause for concern or just that he isn’t getting a scholarship because he lives in state?
Only if he doesn’t get it in by 11/21 when this NLI signing period ends. Not uncommon for players to wait and submit after school signing ceremonies.
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

Shellenberger waited to do his signing ceremony with his other STAB classmates headed to various places for Lax and other sports.
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

blue angels wrote:Shellenberger waited to do his signing ceremony with his other STAB classmates headed to various places for Lax and other sports.
it’s all good.
dek

Post by dek »

HowieT3 wrote:Per posts on The Sabre and in the Marist site here, Marist @ UVa 4/20. It replaces the game from last year vs, Vermont played in CT.
Brown @ UVA 3/10; good on Daly and Tiffany for getting that done. Looks like that replaces Stony Brook from last year. Lehigh @ UVA on 2/16; replaces Drexel - ending a long running series.
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

Hope to see the 'Hoos in Pvd 2020. Pipedream? Anyone who makes the trip can get info on under-the-radar restaurants up here from the UVa coaches. I imagine Lars won't be much help. Sean looks like he is the go-to on food & dining. 8-)
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

molo

Post by molo »

As I posted on either LP or thesabre last May, don't plan on being able to tailgate at the RAC. The last visit to the RAC brought a thunderstorm and a loss. Lets hope for better whether and results on 2/9. For those who don't visit thesabre, where I honor my late fox terrier, here are my questions and comments for the upcoming season from a way too early perspective.
GOALIE:
While those closer to the team than I say Rode has the job, last year's best high school goalie is on the team, and given the new rules and the avowed preference for pushing the ball, shoot outs that test the mettle of any goalie may be in order. Can't forget that Rode had to unseat an upperclassman who is still on the team. Looks like an area of strength to me.
DEFENSE:
Close d has been a concern for a while, and last year's best defenseman has graduated. A starter more infamous for getting bounced from consecutive games is no longer on the squad, and the third starter for much of last year was a walk on. The good news is that shorter possessions will put a premium on quick poles with good sticks. The best two played lsm last year. Will one of them see time at close?
MIDFIELD:
How many other teams can say that a someone who was first team AA last year is their second best middie? If Conrad is fully recovered, this unit will include two potential first team AAs. The supporting cast is too shabby either. Smith needs some help at dm. Face-offs were fairly good last year and should be even better with Conrad and Aitken taking some short wings and the poles reprising last year's form.
ATTACK:
Kraus is one of the top ten attackmen in the country, and Laviano is coming off an impressive first year. Will Herring take the X as an attackman or invert middie? Have heard lots of good stuff about the Canandian. Do they go double lefty with him on the wing and Kraus behind?
Where's the guy who is a band on thesabre and was a UNC hoopster on LP?
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

molo wrote:As I posted on either LP or thesabre last May, don't plan on being able to tailgate at the RAC. The last visit to the RAC brought a thunderstorm and a loss. Lets hope for better whether and results on 2/9. For those who don't visit thesabre, where I honor my late fox terrier, here are my questions and comments for the upcoming season from a way too early perspective.
GOALIE:
While those closer to the team than I say Rode has the job, last year's best high school goalie is on the team, and given the new rules and the avowed preference for pushing the ball, shoot outs that test the mettle of any goalie may be in order. Can't forget that Rode had to unseat an upperclassman who is still on the team. Looks like an area of strength to me.
DEFENSE:
Close d has been a concern for a while, and last year's best defenseman has graduated. A starter more infamous for getting bounced from consecutive games is no longer on the squad, and the third starter for much of last year was a walk on. The good news is that shorter possessions will put a premium on quick poles with good sticks. The best two played lsm last year. Will one of them see time at close?
MIDFIELD:
How many other teams can say that a someone who was first team AA last year is their second best middie? If Conrad is fully recovered, this unit will include two potential first team AAs. The supporting cast is too shabby either. Smith needs some help at dm. Face-offs were fairly good last year and should be even better with Conrad and Aitken taking some short wings and the poles reprising last year's form.
ATTACK:
Kraus is one of the top ten attackmen in the country, and Laviano is coming off an impressive first year. Will Herring take the X as an attackman or invert middie? Have heard lots of good stuff about the Canandian. Do they go double lefty with him on the wing and Kraus behind?
Where's the guy who is a band on thesabre and was a UNC hoopster on LP?
Cormier had surgery and appears out this season at attack. To start the season anyway, attack appears to be Kraus, Laviano, Herring. A to be determined 4th player will get regular rotation minutes and would likely come from An improved Griffin Harris, Mitch Gordon, or Xander Dickson.
Short Stick Midfield-Same Dmids as last year plus a healed Dziama and Sallade
Offensive middies- Same guys as last year plus a healed Ryan Conrad and Jeff Conner
Close Defense & LSM- Some very nice players but the position with the least experienced depth and most unknowns-If and a big if, Close D is much improved, this team will make some noise
Goal-Agree
molo

Post by molo »

Thanks for the update. Can't wait to see the number four Hounds in about two months.
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

molo wrote: MIDFIELD:
Last time I watched it seemed like Conrad was playing mostly ssdm.
Comparing Aitken and Conrad is a little like comparing apples and oranges. Conrad has shown he is an outstanding 2-way midfielder but only very good on the offensive side, while Aitken has shown himself to be an outstanding offensive midfielder, and very good at the other areas.

I think that I might choose Aitken first. Finding guys who can really break down the opponent's defense is not that easy these days. Aiken is even troublesome for LSMs.
Last edited by Cooter on Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Live Free or Die!
laxmaven

Post by laxmaven »

Cooter wrote:
molo wrote: MIDFIELD:
Last time I watched it seemed like Conrad was playing mostly ssdm.
Comparing Aiken and Conrad is a little like comparing apples and oranges. Conrad has shown he is an outstanding 2-way midfielder but only very good on the offensive side, while Aiken has shown himself to be an outstanding offensive midfielder, and very good at the other areas.

I think that I might choose Aiken first. Finding guys who can really break down the opponent's defense is not that easy these days. Aiken is even troublesome for LSMs.

Think you have this backwards. Conrad was extremely tough on the defensive side of the ball as well. Aiken is extremely effective on O but playing D looked ineffectively out of position when the ball turned over to O - just not being used effectively and struggled with high penalties counts. More effective coaching would place Aitken in better position on O and Conrad effectively working both sides of the equation. Coaching staff need to learn to use their personnel more effectively and stop the second half of the season experimenting which led to deteriorated performance last year (e.g. Duke and ND second games were completely un competitive).
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

Lots of experts out there on how to utilize midfielders they see play once a week. Conrad and Aitken are two of the best two way middies in the college game, I wouldn’t worry about either of them on either side of the field, they will both be just fine.
Njlaxx11

Post by Njlaxx11 »

molo wrote:As I posted on either LP or thesabre last May, don't plan on being able to tailgate at the RAC. The last visit to the RAC brought a thunderstorm and a loss. Lets hope for better whether and results on 2/9. For those who don't visit thesabre, where I honor my late fox terrier, here are my questions and comments for the upcoming season from a way too early perspective.

DEFENSE:
to be fair, that walk on was being recruited by Lars at Brown - had multiple offers before deciding to go down to Charlottesville. was a spring get for lars and crew. he's a good player - will only get better after last season.
dense

Post by dense »

UVA has plenty of talent that could flourish regardless of system or process. Conrad is a joy to watch, hoping that his return is at full strength.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

dense wrote:UVA has plenty of talent that could flourish regardless of system or process. Conrad is a joy to watch, hoping that his return is at full strength.
+1
laxmaven

Post by laxmaven »

Njlaxx11 wrote:

DEFENSE:
to be fair, that walk on was being recruited by Lars at Brown - had multiple offers before deciding to go down to Charlottesville. was a spring get for lars and crew. he's a good player - will only get better after last season.
The third D slot was a merry go round last year and that walk-on was a marginal player at best - 6 players were rotated through close D in the ND game if you recall and that game was a D disaster. Coaches have no confidence in this D.
jimmywork

Post by jimmywork »

laxmaven wrote: The third D slot was a merry go round last year and that walk-on was a marginal player at best - 6 players were rotated through close D in the ND game if you recall and that game was a D disaster. Coaches have no confidence in this D.
Weak argument laxmaven. Sure they played 6 defenders in the ACC final, but that was because they emptied the bench in the 4th when the game was out of reach. In reality they rotated 4 close defenders all season with 16 and 45 sharing time in the 3rd spot. Honestly I felt way better when the walk-on was in the game. His counterpart had slower feet and averaged about one 60 sec non-releasable a game for late hits. Either way, the unit needs to improve.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”