Race in America - Riots Explode in Chicago

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
DocBarrister

Trump’s Thugs Beat Navy Veteran in Portland

Post by DocBarrister »

Trump’s federal thugs in Portland beat a U.S. Navy veteran and U.S. Naval Academy graduate.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2 ... Fstory-ans

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
jhu72

Re: Race in America - Riots Explode in Minneapolis

Post by jhu72 »

Peter Brown wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:50 am
Cooter wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:43 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:30 pm
Cooter wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:40 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:10 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:05 pm The Left now comes for Governor Larry Hogan. He’s, as we all know, now a “racist”. :lol:

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/ ... oor-367930

You woke left birdbrains think you’re safe. You’re not. Your entire existence now is ‘please eat me last’. Weak and pathetic doesn’t begin to describe your lot.
Same dumb post word for word...
Are you a Russian troll after all...who writes this dump cr-p for you?
ok, same response.

I'm guessing you did not actually bother to read the quite thorough article?

I'm a Hogan supporter, but the Red Line decision was wrong and, yes, driven by the politics of where his core support is, suburban white voters. Gotta remember that there's a lot of old school white conservative Dems in those neighborhoods, not just R's.

The article lays out what went down quite thoroughly.

The article does not call Hogan himself racist, but the decisions around where to spend transportation dollars in our state have definitely been part of the reality of our structural racism.

It will be interesting to watch how Hogan handles decisions the rest of his term (assuming post-COVID timetable). I wouldn't be surprised to see him get much more serious about investment in turning around these neighborhoods, dismantling barriers to social mobility. that is, if there's any sort of budget post-COVId...but this may be possible with Federal $ given the pandemic's disparate impact, as well as the greatly increased awareness of these issues today, and shift in how white suburban voters are thinking about them, over just a few years ago...

On the other hand, he may not be able to rise to that challenge and remain thinking about the Presidency through the GOP nomination ...however, IMO he'll never transcend Maryland if he does not...personally I do not think he's got the charisma necessary to make it, but he could challenge for a Senate seat if he wants to stay in politics.
Hogan did okay the purple line (boondogle).

These statements by the author seems to be rather misleading:
Yet not all light rail got the ax. Hogan did not cancel the Purple Line, which will open in 2022 and run through Prince George’s and Montgomery counties in wealthier suburbs of Washington and connect to D.C.'s Metro 0subway system.
The Purple Line and Hogan’s other budgetary priorities at the time of the Red Line cancellation suggest a pattern of favoring white communities over Black communities in the allocation of public funds.
I don't think PG county is particularly wealthy, and there are quite a few blacks living there (64.5% black, 14.9% non-hispanic white in the 2010 census). I think the eastern side of Montgomery county tends to be less affluent and has a fair percentage of blacks also.
One of the selling points of the purple line was to allow people from poorer areas in PG county to have access to jobs in Bethesda.

I don't see how you can say the Purple line is part of structural racism, MDlaxfan76.
nope, the Purple Line serves higher income areas, Bethesda, Silver Spring, College Park, New Carrollton.

https://www.purplelinemd.com/component/ ... ransit-map

we're not remotely talking about a service designed to provide access to lower income areas.

The Red Line in Baltimore was very, very different.

I'm not saying that the Purple Line did or did not have a valid purpose (primarily diminishment of traffic on the DC beltway) but it certainly is not comparable to what Baltimore needed...and needs.
As I posted, your statement about the purple line being part of structured racism is incorrect as there are many black people living within a few miles of the purple line who should benefit from it.

I have it on high authority that Owings Mills MD used to be a fancy part of Baltimore county, but when the state and city brought a train line to Owings Mills, within 2 years the place was decimated by crime and flight and is now circling the drain. Any you Bmore boys want to refute that?
… I would never have called Owings Mills "a fancy part of Baltimore county". By my recollection It was largely empty space to the west of a large Jewish community of upscale and working class homes. It is also difficult to blame the light rail line alone as a very large upscale shopping mall was built in the same time frame as the light rail line, along with a major interstate exchange. Good luck deconvolving all of that.

I would contend its the mall that attracts the criminals. There are other stops along that light rail line that does not have the Owings Mills problem. Similar situation in White Marsh on the east side of town, but they don't have a mass transit station, only a major interstate exchange.

So I would say your narrative is a little off.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
holmes435

Post by holmes435 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:02 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:41 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:41 pm
CU77 wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:39 pm
seacoaster wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:19 pm But our taxes are low.
My taxes aren't low. They went up under Trump after the state tax deduction was capped.
Transfer of wealth from blue states to red states..among other things

https://fortune.com/2017/11/03/trump-go ... -2017/amp/

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2018 ... sequences/
Sort of, I took a $5k hit because of SALT for 2020. Though the state is looking pretty purple at the moment and Brian Kemp is making it worse for Trump each day.
Generally. NJ/MA/CT/NY/NJ/CA hammered
Red states are like that guy in college who ordered a steak for dinner and at the end suggested the bill get split evenly. We all know one or two...
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

holmes435 wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:11 pm
My taxes aren't low. They went up under Trump after the state tax deduction was capped.

Sort of, I took a $5k hit because of SALT for 2020. Though the state is looking pretty purple at the moment and Brian Kemp is making it worse for Trump each day.
Red states are like that guy in college who ordered a steak for dinner and at the end suggested the bill get split evenly. We all know one or two...
I had a buddy who would count up everything then forget drinks and leave a 5% tip. Eventually he stopped getting included in group get togethers...
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Peter Brown wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:05 pm The Left now comes for Governor Larry Hogan. He’s, as we all know, now a “racist”. :lol:

You woke left birdbrains think you’re safe. You’re not. Your entire existence now is ‘please eat me last’. Weak and pathetic doesn’t begin to describe your lot.
ok, same response.

I'm a Hogan supporter, but the Red Line decision was wrong and, yes, driven by the politics of where his core support is, suburban white voters. Gotta remember that there's a lot of old school white conservative Dems in those neighborhoods, not just R's.

The article does not call Hogan himself racist, but the decisions around where to spend transportation dollars in our state have definitely been part of the reality of our structural racism.

It will be interesting to watch how Hogan handles decisions the rest of his term (assuming post-COVID timetable). I wouldn't be surprised to see him get much more serious about investment in turning around these neighborhoods, dismantling barriers to social mobility. that is, if there's any sort of budget post-COVId...but this may be possible with Federal $ given the pandemic's disparate impact, as well as the greatly increased awareness of these issues today, and shift in how white suburban voters are thinking about them, over just a few years ago...

On the other hand, he may not be able to rise to that challenge and remain thinking about the Presidency through the GOP nomination ...however, IMO he'll never transcend Maryland if he does not...personally I do not think he's got the charisma necessary to make it, but he could challenge for a Senate seat if he wants to stay in politics.

Yet not all light rail got the ax. Hogan did not cancel the Purple Line, which will open in 2022 and run through Prince George’s and Montgomery counties in wealthier suburbs of Washington and connect to D.C.'s Metro 0subway system.
The Purple Line and Hogan’s other budgetary priorities at the time of the Red Line cancellation suggest a pattern of favoring white communities over Black communities in the allocation of public funds.
I don't think PG county is particularly wealthy, and there are quite a few blacks living there (64.5% black, 14.9% non-hispanic white in the 2010 census). I think the eastern side of Montgomery county tends to be less affluent and has a fair percentage of blacks also.
One of the selling points of the purple line was to allow people from poorer areas in PG county to have access to jobs in Bethesda.

I don't see how you can say the Purple line is part of structural racism, MDlaxfan76.
nope, the Purple Line serves higher income areas, Bethesda, Silver Spring, College Park, New Carrollton.

we're not remotely talking about a service designed to provide access to lower income areas.

I'm not saying that the Purple Line did or did not have a valid purpose (primarily diminishment of traffic on the DC beltway) but it certainly is not comparable to what Baltimore needed...and needs.
As I posted, your statement about the purple line being part of structured racism is incorrect as there are many black people living within a few miles of the purple line who should benefit from it.
Coot, will any black people use the Purple Line? of course.

But no, this is a line between affluent areas, not actually providing much access for poor folks in poor neighborhoods. But will some use it? of course.

To be clear, I did NOT say that the Purple Line itself is part of structural racism, but the decision to not do the Red Line reinforced that problem rather than addressing it constructively.

Not doing the Red Line rejected massive federal funding that would have leveraged State funding, but the decision was to use those State dollars for road construction projects in largely white suburban areas, furthering sprawl. Bad call, at least if the issue is structural racism.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

jhu72 wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:07 pm

ok, same response.

I have it on high authority that Owings Mills MD used to be a fancy part of Baltimore county, but when the state and city brought a train line to Owings Mills, within 2 years the place was decimated by crime and flight and is now circling the drain. Any you Bmore boys want to refute that?
… I would never have called Owings Mills "a fancy part of Baltimore county". By my recollection It was largely empty space to the west of a large Jewish community of upscale and working class homes. It is also difficult to blame the light rail line alone as a very large upscale shopping mall was built in the same time frame as the light rail line, along with a major interstate exchange. Good luck deconvolving all of that.

I would contend its the mall that attracts the criminals. There are other stops along that light rail line that does not have the Owings Mills problem. Similar situation in White Marsh on the east side of town, but they don't have a mass transit station, only a major interstate exchange.

What do you think of Bel Air which is near White Marsh? Seems nice enough as a solid middle class community to me. Father in law finished HS there and he's got a Brother and Sister still living there. Most of their kids went to John Carroll (FIL Paid for sister's kids as they are somewhat broke) which is some type of Catholic school up that way. FIL's brother somehow commutes to the Bowie/Annapolis border, works for a air traffic control business that was created as a JV among airlines, sold to Carlyle (or Blackstone, I forget) and then acquired by Rockwell Simmons or another mid cap midwest industrial company. That commute seems like something I'd blow my brain out doing.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:20 pm
holmes435 wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:11 pm

I had a buddy who would count up everything then forget drinks and leave a 5% tip. Eventually he stopped getting included in group get togethers...
My buddy’s plan was to show up later to make sure he was on the receiving end of rounds paid by others!
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

That's actually kind of slick. Messed up, but cunning at least.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Bel Air is nice. Nicer than White Marsh. Grown exponentially in the past 2 decades. Familiar with it from following John Carroll in lacrosse.

JC is Archdiocese of Baltimore. Their women's team was #1 in the nation prior to McDonogh's run. Their boys team just joined the MIAA "A" league after a long run of undefeated B championships. Good basketball team too. Growth up in that area- 45 minutes between Balty, Wilmington DE and Philly, with a big military base right off I95, means that area is probably poised to keep growing.

Commuting from Bel Air to Bowie Annapolis daily? FML, no way.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:26 pm

ok, same response.

What do you think of Bel Air which is near White Marsh? Seems nice enough as a solid middle class community to me. Father in law finished HS there and he's got a Brother and Sister still living there. Most of their kids went to John Carroll (FIL Paid for sister's kids as they are somewhat broke) which is some type of Catholic school up that way. FIL's brother somehow commutes to the Bowie/Annapolis border, works for a air traffic control business that was created as a JV among airlines, sold to Carlyle (or Blackstone, I forget) and then acquired by Rockwell Simmons or another mid cap midwest industrial company. That commute seems like something I'd blow my brain out doing.
One of my favorite haunts (Bel Air) when I was in high school. My brother lives not far from there. I dated a girl who attended John Carroll way back when. It has really changed over the years as it has grown. I would not want that commute these days.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:35 pm Bel Air is nice. Nicer than White Marsh. Grown exponentially in the past 2 decades. Familiar with it from following John Carroll in lacrosse.

JC is Archdiocese of Baltimore. Their women's team was #1 in the nation prior to McDonogh's run. Their boys team just joined the MIAA "A" league after a long run of undefeated B championships. Good basketball team too. Growth up in that area- 45 minutes between Balty, Wilmington DE and Philly, with a big military base right off I95, means that area is probably poised to keep growing.

Commuting from Bel Air to Bowie Annapolis daily? FML, no way.
Yeah we met up at a Buff Wild Wings a few years back for dinner/drinks when I was working for a bank there and he told me he basically has to kill time before heading home each night. Kids are one in (UMD) and one out of college (Va Tech) now so it’s just the parents and it’s the house they’re parents and so think it’s sentimental but id be shocked if they didn’t try to find something closer if he doesn’t retire (around 60ish)
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

jhu72 wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:40 pm

ok, same response.

One of my favorite haunts (Bel Air) when I was in high school. My brother lives not far from there. I dated a girl who attended John Carroll way back when. It has really changed over the years as it has grown. I would not want that commute these days.
How did the “are Catholic if girls really wild?” Experiment go for you?
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:10 pm nope, the Purple Line serves higher income areas, Bethesda, Silver Spring, College Park, New Carrollton.

:roll: You clearly do not get out much? The last three cities you cite, are heavily and densely populated with lower income families,with very high proportions of apartment housing, especially in the surrounding zip codes.

EDIT: CORRECTED QUOTE
Last edited by youthathletics on Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

youthathletics wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:32 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:48 pm nope, the Purple Line serves higher income areas, Bethesda, Silver Spring, College Park, New Carrollton.

:roll: You clearly do not get out much? The last three cities you cite, are heavily and densely populated with lower income families,with very high proportions of apartment housing, especially in the surrounding zip codes.
Not me, think that’s MDLax. I was commenting on the lack of stops in GTown (we know why) and around large parts of Atlanta including all of Cobb Co (same reasoning).

I left DC in 05, but I recall Silver Spring having a lot of investment then. One of my best friends who worked for the NSA lived in a house near the UMD fraternities. Another mixed city it seemed. Still think the guy who worked late nights at Cluck U Chicken was Tupac...
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:38 pm
youthathletics wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:32 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:48 pm nope, the Purple Line serves higher income areas, Bethesda, Silver Spring, College Park, New Carrollton.

Not me, think that’s MDLax. I was commenting on the lack of stops in GTown (we know why) and around large parts of Atlanta including all of Cobb Co (same reasoning).

I left DC in 05, but I recall Silver Spring having a lot of investment then. One of my best friends who worked for the NSA lived in a house near the UMD fraternities. Another mixed city it seemed. Still think the guy who worked late nights at Cluck U Chicken was Tupac...
You can delete if you want. I fixed my error. I often visited the area....just to go to Cluck U. Samll world
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

ok, same response.

Yes, Owings Mills itself was never "upscale" though it indeed is north of Pikesville (large % Jewish, with the most affluent continuing to move northward out to the Valleys), west of the Valleys (very upscale) and east of Liberty Road, (opposite of upscale). It, along with White Marsh, was intended for major, dense suburban development, with the Towson to Hunt Valley corridor in between.

That dense housing that was built in the Owings Mills corridor was substantially lower standard than that of much of Pikesville, much less the Valleys, substandard relative to White Marsh as well. Lower middle class, but 'new' housing, it was an escape hatch for many black and brown families in the city.

The area has continued to evolve with tons of retail as well as office parks for tenants like Blue Cross Blue Shield and T. Rowe Price, grocers like Wegmans etc. Higher % of black families for sure...especially relative to Hunt Valley and White Marsh corridors where there was considerable housing discrimination persistent though the 80's and 90's and even today. But generally thriving.

The Owings Mills Mall had indeed been the first truly upscale mall in the overall region, the sole Saks etc. This served the Pikesville and Valleys area, as well as a wider trading area given its unique set of upscale offerings at the time...it was prior to the Towson Mall being entirely revamped and expanded dramatically, including Nordstrom. It crushed Owings Mills as it was more than twice the stores and with a more central location. Owings Mills Mall became a ghost mall, with mostly shoe stores and vacancies...went dark eventually and now totally razed, making way for big box format, Costco, etc.

Hunt Valley Mall was also crushed by the Towson mall, but then totally revamped away from an interior mall to all outward facing. In the meantime, the White Marsh area was a huge success, designed as an outdoor streetscape.

The light rail never had anything substantive to do with any of the negative dynamics, that was just the white fear component. We remain a very race conscious society here.
njbill

Post by njbill »

kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:35 pm JC is Archdiocese of Baltimore. Their women's team was #1 in the nation prior to McDonogh's run.
Now you are in my wheel house. :)

I did a detailed year-end review of HS girls lacrosse on LaxPower from 2005-2017 (2004 was on NJ.com) in which I ranked the top 15 teams, usually departing here and there from the computer's ranking. Improving on them as I used to tell glax. :lol: (He never agreed.)

Both the laxpower computer and I ranked John Carroll no. 1 in 2008. JC beat McDonogh in the IAAM finals 11-7 but dominated the draw something like 17-2. That great, undefeated Patriot team had Ally Carey and Casey Ancarrow. JC ran the table in the IAAM and beat Mt. Hebron in the old Hopkins Showdown, handing the Vikings their first Md. loss in forever. While JC was justifiably ranked no. 1 that year in my view, three other top national teams also were unbeaten which made the top spot at least debatable: St. Stephen's St. Agnes, Severna Park, and West Genesee.

But 2008 was the only year JC was no. 1 nationally.

In 2007 undefeated West Genny was top dog with one of the best girls teams ever. They ran through NY Class A. Plus they beat Hebron to end the Vikings historic streak and topple them from the no. 1 spot. The Laxpower computer loved the Wildcats so much, she gave them a rating of 103. (By the way, is our current Nigel the same Nigel from way back then? His Spinal Tap quote reminds me that I made a Spinal Tap reference to WG's 103 rating.) While JC won the IAAM playoff title in 2007, they had three regular season losses and weren't in the running for national no. 1.

In 2009 Farmingdale was no. 1 after going undefeated in NY's tough Class A. McDonogh was on the rise, but Canandaigua Academy (lead by Abbey Friend and Taylor D'Amore) came down to Owings Mills and shocked the Eagles that year. McD didn't become national no. 1 until 2010, Chris Robinson's 6th year as head coach. That year he had some sophomore named Taylor Cummings. She never amounted to much.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:56 pm

ok, same response.

Yes, Owings Mills itself was never "upscale" though it indeed is north of Pikesville (large % Jewish, with the most affluent continuing to move northward out to the Valleys), west of the Valleys (very upscale) and east of Liberty Road, (opposite of upscale). It, along with White Marsh, was intended for major, dense suburban development, with the Towson to Hunt Valley corridor in between.

That dense housing that was built in the Owings Mills corridor was substantially lower standard than that of much of Pikesville, much less the Valleys, substandard relative to White Marsh as well. Lower middle class, but 'new' housing, it was an escape hatch for many black and brown families in the city.

The area has continued to evolve with tons of retail as well as office parks for tenants like Blue Cross Blue Shield and T. Rowe Price, grocers like Wegmans etc. Higher % of black families for sure...especially relative to Hunt Valley and White Marsh corridors where there was considerable housing discrimination persistent though the 80's and 90's and even today. But generally thriving.

The Owings Mills Mall had indeed been the first truly upscale mall in the overall region, the sole Saks etc. This served the Pikesville and Valleys area, as well as a wider trading area given its unique set of upscale offerings at the time...it was prior to the Towson Mall being entirely revamped and expanded dramatically, including Nordstrom. It crushed Owings Mills as it was more than twice the stores and with a more central location. Owings Mills Mall became a ghost mall, with mostly shoe stores and vacancies...went dark eventually and now totally razed, making way for big box format, Costco, etc.

Hunt Valley Mall was also crushed by the Towson mall, but then totally revamped away from an interior mall to all outward facing. In the meantime, the White Marsh area was a huge success, designed as an outdoor streetscape.

The light rail never had anything substantive to do with any of the negative dynamics, that was just the white fear component. We remain a very race conscious society here.
Yup. We frequent Hunt Valley "shopping center" not infrequently and don't see a problem. Actually it is one of the few things I miss (eating out) due to the rona. It is also a light rail terminus. There is a large multiplex theater whose patrons are very diverse and clearly arrive by light rail, again I haven't noticed a problem.

Frankly, I never understood the Hunt Valley Mall. The outdoor open air village style shopping center makes a lot more sense given the surrounding area. I think I only ever visited Owings Mills Mall once in my life, within the first month of so of its opening. It was a Ghost Mall then, as you put it.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:48 pm
jhu72 wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:40 pm

ok, same response.

How did the “are Catholic if girls really wild?” Experiment go for you?
… lets just say she maintained my interest for a period of time.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Excellent!

Return to “POLITICS”