Johns Hopkins 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
78Jay

Re: Johns Hopkins 2021

Post by 78Jay »

Jerry was one of a kind. He loved Hopkins, especially the lax team, especially David and Kathleen. He was a part of what made Hopkins Lax special for fans, players, coaches, and in some cases even people who hated Hop Lax. Stay tuned for memorial service info in the spring when it will be safer to congregate. I expect all who loved him to be there, which means many. Thanks
Chitown

Post by Chitown »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:36 pm
bauer4429 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:58 pm posting.php?mode=quote&f=290&p=168753

I disagree with the 2 goalie plan, 3 tops .... goalies’ bodies take an absolute beating in practice and games. The only protection they have is the chest and cup zone, everything else is fair game for ball welts. The athletic ones that drop and a scrap around also suffer knee and groin injuries. Maybe that’s something only a parent of a goalie would recognize. They all deserve full scholarships with the beating their bodies take.
I dunno about the full scholarship idea ;) but I'd agree that a modern team, with no JV team to draw on, needs a minimum of 3 healthy goalies, preferably four on the roster.

Beyond that and it's too much standing around.

But less, and your tenders are going to take too much of a beating in practice. Nothing worse than being beaten up, especially hands, knees, shins, feet. My dad, my son, and I all college goalies. Game today is faster, nearly everyone can shoot a cannon, and there's simply more chances to take a shot wrong, gloves really don't protect, nothing on your arms and legs, etc.

I recall being a freshman tender up in Hanover in February pre-season practices in the mud, trying to make the varsity at least, hopefully starter, 2 upper classmen and the goalie from the #1 team from the Island were the competition. One of the freshmen was likely to play JV or both of us. We were running a drill with attack man behind feeding cutting midfielder, shot...no defenders, midfielder needed simply to catch and shoot. Again and again these guys were hitting me, colder than bejesus, man the ball stung, heavy and hard shots to the thigh would take my legs out, shots off the foot, arms, shoulder, head, shins...it was ridiculous and seemed endless...and then after practice I'd stay behind with guys wanting more shots, one after another a couple of steps in from the midline...sometimes the knuckleheads would get impatient and I wouldn't be fully set...brutal.

We kept 2 on varsity, one 'retired', and the freshman from the Island played JV, moved up to varsity with me for 2 years then 'retired' too. I started the four years and was extremely fortunate to never be seriously injured, though certainly played through a lot of bruises...darn attack men loved to aim for my elbow during clears... I contrast that with my son's experience, where despite having 4 on the roster, there was rarely a 5 game stretch with all four healthy, with the senior his freshman year breaking his foot, the next year the starter hurt his back and the next year my son won the job, having had hip surgery as a freshman, playing through a torn shoulder labrum the last two years, then 3rd concussion playing lax eventually ending his career. So many injuries these days, much more so than in my day or my dad's day.
That is a brutal story of players shooting at practice on a Goalie. Never permitted at JHU. See: Page 136-137 of Bob Scott's book on Lacrosse, "The coach should be the only one to warm up a goalie...No other person should ever shoot at the goalie without supervision. They will do more harm than good....About twenty minutes are needed to give the goalie a complete warmup with practice against all types of shots.....Since most teams have either two or three goalies, the coach may be able to give a thorough workout to his number-one goalie and a modified workout to his other one or two...But time is a critical factor at practice, and the coach cannot afford to spend one hour working with three goalies." And so says Coach Scott. Amen.
bauer4429

Post by bauer4429 »

I agree 4 goalies is ideal .... the problem is between injuries and mental burnout 4 can easily drop to 2 very quickly. Being a backup goalie is a thankless job and they are most likely to move on or worse stop playing. Maybe 6 are being brought in because the coaches recognize that threat. There’s also the threat some may opt for a gap year given the circumstances.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Repeat Message Deleted
Last edited by 51percentcorn on Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

apologies for duplicates
Last edited by 51percentcorn on Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Big Dog wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:27 pm 1. Top college football teams have ~100+ guys on the field (85 on scholly); the rest are walk-ons. Over half never see the field.
2. They could practice on a scout team
3. The Hop has the money for facilities, but yes Coaching/Staffing is a big issue as it is capped by ncaa.
4. The year of COVID will be awkward for all. Many teams will be going big.
5. The 12.6 scholly pie is a drop in the bucket. While lax is generally considered a sport of mostly full-pays, with Bloomberg money I hear that Hopkins is moving towards HYPS-level of generosity, i.e., what many would be consider high income is still eligible for need-based aid. Moreover, how many of those 60 have actually been offered a scholly vs. preferred walk-on?
1. College football and college lacrosse should almost never be compared. One is a gorilla the other is an ant. BTW - 53 LSU Tigers participated in the National Championship game - that 62% of the scholarship limit. Sure several were on special teams but they were in the fight
2. I am sure the scout team is a big responsibility of the practice only players - still there are any other facets of practice where you have to expend resources and energy so that a smaller team would be beneficial
4. Valid point BUT Hopkins issue is clearly NOT COVID related - very few of the seniors who would have exhausted their eligibility in '20 are back. As HF 16 pointed out this is caused by recruiting classes in the mid to high teens for a few consecutive years highlighted by 2 classes of 18 each. Yes the bottleneck of DI lax is causing almost all rosters to swell but not to 60 in most cases.
5. Maybe the trickle down effect of MB's generosity will help somehow but - especially in the days of really early recruiting - how do you get a kid to verbal if you're not promising him and fam anything? Sure there are families fortunate enough where the Hopkins tuition and board is not an obstacle but almost everyone likes a little something. My guess would be the Hopkins scholly capologist was a pretty busy guy or gal. I guess my point is that it is not illogical to think that if 35-37 players never get to play meaningful minutes - many of them are absorbing some sliver of the pie. Could adding up some slivers make you more competitive for someone everybody wants? Maybe not but one thing seems correct - it couldn't hurt.
DMac

Post by DMac »

MDlaxfan76 wrote
But less, and your tenders are going to take too much of a beating in practice. Nothing worse than being beaten up, especially hands, knees, shins, feet. My dad, my son, and I all college goalies. Game today is faster, nearly everyone can shoot a cannon, and there's simply more chances to take a shot wrong, gloves really don't protect, nothing on your arms and legs, etc.
I'm surprised in this day and age GKs aren't required to wear more protective equipment. Like teams that take the field in ten degree temps, with a wind chill factor that makes it feel even colder, in just shorts and jerseys cuz.....well, cuz it's the manly thing to do. As an old baseball catcher, I never got behind the plate without shin guards cuz...well, cuz it would just be kind of stupid not to, eh? With the velocity players can get on their shots with today's perveted sticks I would think it's time to give up the macho image and put on a little more protection. JMHO.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Chitown wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:47 pm

I disagree with the 2 goalie plan, 3 tops .... goalies’ bodies take an absolute beating in practice and games. The only protection they have is the chest and cup zone, everything else is fair game for ball welts. The athletic ones that drop and a scrap around also suffer knee and groin injuries. Maybe that’s something only a parent of a goalie would recognize. They all deserve full scholarships with the beating their bodies take.
I dunno about the full scholarship idea ;) but I'd agree that a modern team, with no JV team to draw on, needs a minimum of 3 healthy goalies, preferably four on the roster.

I recall being a freshman tender up in Hanover in February pre-season practices in the mud, trying to make the varsity at least, hopefully starter, 2 upper classmen and the goalie from the #1 team from the Island were the competition. One of the freshmen was likely to play JV or both of us. We were running a drill with attack man behind feeding cutting midfielder, shot...no defenders, midfielder needed simply to catch and shoot. Again and again these guys were hitting me, colder than bejesus, man the ball stung, heavy and hard shots to the thigh would take my legs out, shots off the foot, arms, shoulder, head, shins...it was ridiculous and seemed endless...and then after practice I'd stay behind with guys wanting more shots, one after another a couple of steps in from the midline...sometimes the knuckleheads would get impatient and I wouldn't be fully set...brutal.

We kept 2 on varsity, one 'retired', and the freshman from the Island played JV, moved up to varsity with me for 2 years then 'retired' too. I started the four years and was extremely fortunate to never be seriously injured, though certainly played through a lot of bruises...darn attack men loved to aim for my elbow during clears... I contrast that with my son's experience, where despite having 4 on the roster, there was rarely a 5 game stretch with all four healthy, with the senior his freshman year breaking his foot, the next year the starter hurt his back and the next year my son won the job, having had hip surgery as a freshman, playing through a torn shoulder labrum the last two years, then 3rd concussion playing lax eventually ending his career. So many injuries these days, much more so than in my day or my dad's day.
That is a brutal story of players shooting at practice on a Goalie. Never permitted at JHU. See: Page 136-137 of Bob Scott's book on Lacrosse, "The coach should be the only one to warm up a goalie...No other person should ever shoot at the goalie without supervision. They will do more harm than good....About twenty minutes are needed to give the goalie a complete warmup with practice against all types of shots.....Since most teams have either two or three goalies, the coach may be able to give a thorough workout to his number-one goalie and a modified workout to his other one or two...But time is a critical factor at practice, and the coach cannot afford to spend one hour working with three goalies." And so says Coach Scott. Amen.
Bob Scott wrote the 'bible', but I can assure you that getting extra reps was common by those most hungry, shooters and tenders. I learned to control the guys to wait for me to be ready. I challenged them to score, but demanded that they give me at least a chance to be set. The knuckleheads apparently hadn't anyone tell them what to do before, much less a freshman.

But the drill with the cutting midfielders was indeed stupid. Cannon fodder, but I just needed to grit my teeth through it.

I did the same post practice work at Gilman where we had lots of coaches ala Hopkins' reality, but up at Dartmouth we had only two coaches and some days in the week a grad student volunteer. So, getting attention from a coach was precious. Dave Allan was my Gilman coach and he spent a ton of time working with me. Student of the position, a goalie himself.

But we were well behind the coaching practices and skill sets up in Hanover than what I'd enjoyed at Gilman, so a lot of what I did was self-driven.

Another story, midwinter indoor practice in the field house. Half field drill, 2:2:2 set up. Our senior captain was also captain of the football and wrestling teams, All-Ivy linebacker, NCAA quarterfinal caliber wrestler. He'd already had wrestling practice, this was night practice off season for lax. I'd met him once. He was playing midfield defense on the crease. Ball moving on perimeter out front and he was behind his man. I yelled (my job!) "between your man and the ball", again..his man steps out and takes the pass and whacks a shot off my head. Ok, same play, "Between your man and the ball"...shot goes off my shoulder...I yell, "goddammit, play between your man and the ball". He turns and grabs me, lifting me off the ground, slams me down on my back and starts pounding me with his gloved fists. They pull him off me and I jump up, adrenaline like crazy...coach grabs me and walks me away, "Coach, he doesn't know to play between the man and the ball?" "you're right, you're right, but maybe you should have picked someone else"...'Coach, he's captain of the team and he doesn't know???" (great athlete, great guy, huge competitor...but...) I knew it would be a long season...first game was against Navy at Navy, they'd kept us up the night before with a Fleetwood Mac concert in the gym in which they had us barracked. Fed us hot dogs and baked beans... I'd never given up more than 9 goals in any game...Navy took 83 shots, 51 on cage, 34 saves, 17 goals...I'd make a save, throw the outlet pass, hitting my guy's stick and he'd drop it, fast break again (Jeff Long had a huge day for Navy)...my dad walked me down the sideline and said "it's not too late to transfer to Virginia" (where he'd played and I had turned down)... 24 cases of beer were loaded on the bus for the drive back to Hanover...two years later we were in the top 10 nationally, first Ivy team to beat Cornell in 5 years...partly the set of players from the class ahead of me and thereafter and partly the addition of HOF coach Bill Ritch who had retired to 20 mins away and who agreed to assist...
Last edited by MDlaxfan76 on Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:51 am, edited 3 times in total.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

DMac wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:16 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote
I'm surprised in this day and age GKs aren't required to wear more protective equipment. Like teams that take the field in ten degree temps, with a wind chill factor that makes it feel even colder, in just shorts and jerseys cuz.....well, cuz it's the manly thing to do. As an old baseball catcher, I never got behind the plate without shin guards cuz...well, cuz it would just be kind of stupid not to, eh? With the velocity players can get on their shots with today's perveted sticks I would think it's time to give up the macho image and put on a little more protection. JMHO.
I agree, but I was never able to get any of the kids I coached to do so, including my son when he decided to switch to the net in 8th grade. They don't want to be slowed down. (and of course have a screw or two loose as it is). He did finally start to wear some baggy sweats, recognizing that gave him a little more protection, especially when he went down to the ground, and also could catch a few shots in the folds.

The stupidity of having players in shorts in the freezing cold, though, always blew my mind...really, really dumb. my son had a college coach like that.
Last edited by MDlaxfan76 on Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

51percentcorn wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:48 am
Big Dog wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:27 pm 1. Top college football teams have ~100+ guys on the field (85 on scholly); the rest are walk-ons. Over half never see the field.
2. They could practice on a scout team
3. The Hop has the money for facilities, but yes Coaching/Staffing is a big issue as it is capped by ncaa.
4. The year of COVID will be awkward for all. Many teams will be going big.
5. The 12.6 scholly pie is a drop in the bucket. While lax is generally considered a sport of mostly full-pays, with Bloomberg money I hear that Hopkins is moving towards HYPS-level of generosity, i.e., what many would be consider high income is still eligible for need-based aid. Moreover, how many of those 60 have actually been offered a scholly vs. preferred walk-on?
1. College football and college lacrosse should almost never be compared. One is a gorilla the other is an ant. BTW - 53 LSU Tigers participated in the National Championship game - that 62% of the scholarship limit. Sure several were on special teams but they were in the fight
2. I am sure the scout team is a big responsibility of the practice only players - still there are any other facets of practice where you have to expend resources and energy so that a smaller team would be beneficial
4. Valid point BUT Hopkins issue is clearly NOT COVID related - very few of the seniors who would have exhausted their eligibility in '20 are back. As HF 16 pointed out this is caused by recruiting classes in the mid to high teens for a few consecutive years highlighted by 2 classes of 18 each. Yes the bottleneck of DI lax is causing almost all rosters to swell but not to 60 in most cases.
5. Maybe the trickle down effect of MB's generosity will help somehow but - especially in the days of really early recruiting - how do you get a kid to verbal if you're not promising him and fam anything? Sure there are families fortunate enough where the Hopkins tuition and board is not an obstacle but almost everyone likes a little something. My guess would be the Hopkins scholly capologist was a pretty busy guy or gal. I guess my point is that it is not illogical to think that if 35-37 players never get to play meaningful minutes - many of them are absorbing some sliver of the pie. Could adding up some slivers make you more competitive for someone everybody wants? Maybe not but one thing seems correct - it couldn't hurt.
I think there will be significant roster cuts, if they play at all in 2021. I don't think a huge scout team is manageable and it'd result in no one getting the attention that's really needed to develop guys.

Big part of the rap on the former staff was not enough player development so I doubt the next staff will do the same.

So, the guys who come in out of shape will not make it long.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

bauer4429 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:42 pm I agree 4 goalies is ideal .... the problem is between injuries and mental burnout 4 can easily drop to 2 very quickly. Being a backup goalie is a thankless job and they are most likely to move on or worse stop playing. Maybe 6 are being brought in because the coaches recognize that threat. There’s also the threat some may opt for a gap year given the circumstances.
I've seen modern teams carry 5, but that means an awful lot of standing around for the bottom 3. Which is brutal for any intensely competitive guys, which is a fundamental goalie personality requirement. It's also very rough in cold weather to get warm and then stand and get cold waiting for your little chance to step in and be cannon fodder for shooters...

It does sound like they simply don't know who will emerge as the four best and they're prioritizing having at least some choices. Wouldn't be surprised to see some guys drop if it's clear they won't be seeing the field.
bauer4429

Post by bauer4429 »

They may be anticipating some athletes opting for a gap year given the uncertainty and league cancellations. It is by far the hardest position both physically and mentally.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

DMac wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:16 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote
And some soft domers can’t handle a frozen trout tossed at their head either...
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

Any word on DOLO hire?
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Watched the first two Denver Outlaws games of the MLL tournament in Annapolis this week. Junior can barely move (probably needs a knee replacement) but his vision is still outstanding. Has had a handful of assists in each game—still finding ways to be productive on the field at age 45.

More relevant for us however is the overall Outlaws offense, which he also coordinates. If our offense looks anything like this one I think some here will be delighted. There is very little north-south midfield dodging from up top. Pretty much everything is initiated from behind the cage or the wing. Virtually every goal came off of ball movement. Not too many shots taken beyond 8-10 yards from the goal and even fewer taken on the run. No obsessing about switching matchups, no wasted shot clock. Zippy ball movement, quick tempo, catch and move, cutting, picking.

Granted, it's pro lax, so defense is optional, but I was pleasantly surprised by how much of it was team offense, given how little time they had to prepare as a team before this COVID-shortened tournament. I assumed it would be mostly hero dodging—some offenses do a lot of that, but not Junior's.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:44 am
Chitown wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:47 pm

Bob Scott wrote the 'bible', but I can assure you that getting extra reps was common by those most hungry, shooters and tenders. I learned to control the guys to wait for me to be ready. I challenged them to score, but demanded that they give me at least a chance to be set. The knuckleheads apparently hadn't anyone tell them what to do before, much less a freshman.

But the drill with the cutting midfielders was indeed stupid. Cannon fodder, but I just needed to grit my teeth through it.

I did the same post practice work at Gilman where we had lots of coaches ala Hopkins' reality, but up at Dartmouth we had only two coaches and some days in the week a grad student volunteer. So, getting attention from a coach was precious. Dave Allan was my Gilman coach and he spent a ton of time working with me. Student of the position, a goalie himself.

But we were well behind the coaching practices and skill sets up in Hanover than what I'd enjoyed at Gilman, so a lot of what I did was self-driven.

Another story, midwinter indoor practice in the field house. Half field drill, 2:2:2 set up. Our senior captain was also captain of the football and wrestling teams, All-Ivy linebacker, NCAA quarterfinal caliber wrestler. He'd already had wrestling practice, this was night practice off season for lax. I'd met him once. He was playing midfield defense on the crease. Ball moving on perimeter out front and he was behind his man. I yelled (my job!) "between your man and the ball", again..his man steps out and takes the pass and whacks a shot off my head. Ok, same play, "Between your man and the ball"...shot goes off my shoulder...I yell, "goddammit, play between your man and the ball". He turns and grabs me, lifting me off the ground, slams me down on my back and starts pounding me with his gloved fists. They pull him off me and I jump up, adrenaline like crazy...coach grabs me and walks me away, "Coach, he doesn't know to play between the man and the ball?" "you're right, you're right, but maybe you should have picked someone else"...'Coach, he's captain of the team and he doesn't know???" (great athlete, great guy, huge competitor...but...) I knew it would be a long season...first game was against Navy at Navy, they'd kept us up the night before with a Fleetwood Mac concert in the gym in which they had us barracked. Fed us hot dogs and baked beans... I'd never given up more than 9 goals in any game...Navy took 83 shots, 51 on cage, 34 saves, 17 goals...I'd make a save, throw the outlet pass, hitting my guy's stick and he'd drop it, fast break again (Jeff Long had a huge day for Navy)...my dad walked me down the sideline and said "it's not too late to transfer to Virginia" (where he'd played and I had turned down)... 24 cases of beer were loaded on the bus for the drive back to Hanover...two years later we were in the top 10 nationally, first Ivy team to beat Cornell in 5 years...partly the set of players from the class ahead of me and thereafter and partly the addition of HOF coach Bill Ritch who had retired to 20 mins away and who agreed to assist...
Great stories, fellas! Thanks.

DocBarrister :D
@DocBarrister
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

HopFan16 wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:14 pm Watched the first two Denver Outlaws games of the MLL tournament in Annapolis this week. Junior can barely move (probably needs a knee replacement) but his vision is still outstanding. Has had a handful of assists in each game—still finding ways to be productive on the field at age 45.

More relevant for us however is the overall Outlaws offense, which he also coordinates. If our offense looks anything like this one I think some here will be delighted. There is very little north-south midfield dodging from up top. Pretty much everything is initiated from behind the cage or the wing. Virtually every goal came off of ball movement. Not too many shots taken beyond 8-10 yards from the goal and even fewer taken on the run. No obsessing about switching matchups, no wasted shot clock. Zippy ball movement, quick tempo, catch and move, cutting, picking.

Granted, it's pro lax, so defense is optional, but I was pleasantly surprised by how much of it was team offense, given how little time they had to prepare as a team before this COVID-shortened tournament. I assumed it would be mostly hero dodging—some offenses do a lot of that, but not Junior's.
Never quite understood why the Blue Jays moved away from a motion offense in the last few years. It was beautiful and quite effective in the few seasons they implemented it.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
laxfan91

Post by laxfan91 »

Was that Bill Ritch the Sewanhaka hs coach?
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

laxfan91 wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:48 pm Was that Bill Ritch the Sewanhaka hs coach?
Yes, winningest HS coach in history at the time, longer win streak than the incredible streak St Paul's had had. Also coached the Long Island Lacrosse Club, perennial #1, #2 with the Mount Washington Club.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

LaxPundit07 wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:30 pm Any word on DOLO hire?
that acronym sounds too much like a WOMBAT word.
-no reason why the university can't sell hopkins masks. we are a medical place. they won't stop being cool.
-no reason university can't do weekly game watches w/alumni. the last decade was pitiful, time to reintroduce a generation of kids to school lore. Why does Hopkins hate fun?
-what I like about grant as someone who has never met the man, is that this staff is walking into a lions den and he's a lot older than a crawley or boyle or someone else you guys mentioned, has his own credentials, his own success and isn't going to be in awe of anyone, anything or any chirping.
-I could never figure out what I thought of changing jerseys/helmet combos every week. as an increasingly senile online message board poster I guess I'm supposed to be against it.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”