THE 2019 Hopkins Lacrosse Fallout Shelter (44, we want more!)

D1 Mens Lacrosse
wgdsr

Re: THE Hopkins Lacrosse Fallout Shelter (44, we want more!)

Post by wgdsr »

very sorry to hear. like many of the lp crowd, laxfi reached out via pm more than once to go more in-depth on a comment or a discussion on a board. always took a semi-objective view on a subject, even if it was about his beloved hopkins, who both infuriated and elevated his spirits at times.
we didn't always agree, but frankly i believe that's why he wanted to debate... always civilly, and maybe to get a different perspective --- not to just "win" the opinion. that's rare anywhere.
the hobby of following lacrosse, and jhu, seemed to be something that he just loved to be engaged in. that's a credit to the lp community, too, and it'd be great if that continues and picks up again. hopefully here.
had no idea One L was his wife. my sincere condolences to her, and the hopkins and lax communities. he will be missed. all indications a life well lived, and it's obvious he touched a lot of people. RIP.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

I might have wished you had a happier occasion for your inaugural post on the new site, but well-said!
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

I haven't been following this thread as closely in the off season, so I am late to the news. The news is very sad. Bob was a gentleman as well as a very special kind of lacrosse fan. He will be missed. Like others, I found my posts frequently corrected for spelling over night.

Those worried about the Jay's SSDM, need not worry about Matt Hubler in my opinion. I thought by seasons end Jones and the youngster were our two best dmids. We just need to develop a third.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
Drcthru

Post by Drcthru »

jhu72 wrote:I haven't been following this thread as closely in the off season, so I am late to the news. The news is very sad. Bob was a gentleman as well as a very special kind of lacrosse fan. He will be missed. Like others, I found my posts frequently corrected for spelling over night.

Those worried about the Jay's SSDM, need not worry about Matt Hubler in my opinion. I thought by seasons end Jones and the youngster were our two best dmids. We just need to develop a third.
How is the 80 second clock going to affect ssdm play?
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to do the dishes.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

The following is a post that a lot of fellow Hopkins posters might have missed in the past 24 hours.

Curious as to what you think of it. I think it is despicable on about a thousand levels.
DMac wrote:
WOMBAT wrote
There were deep problems within LP. There’s a reason why it died.

Correction: many major reasons. Many self-inflicted.
Please, with all of your insight, what, pray tell, can you enlighten us all with? Here, maybe I can help you get started,
LP died for one reason and one reason only - Active pulled the plug after their aborted and ill-conceived money grab of a mobile app failed miserably. This was totally predictable as they did ZERO customer research before proceeding - they thought they could gouge everyone like they did for the mobile swimming app (which was a totally different market, application and business model), you can take it from there.
For someone who found LP and its gestapo like Moderates to be such a distasteful place to hang out, you just can't let the place go, can you? You hung out there for an awfully long time for someone who finds nothing but fault with the place. Which reminds me, don't forget to mention yourself on your list of "deep problems", as you ranked number one in most complaints received from your fellow Hop posters as being a distraction and adding nothing to the thread. Just lettin' ya know. Pretty hard to not notice none of that behavior going on here...interesting, particularly when coming from LP's harshest critic.
Also hard to not notice nary a word from you about your long time friend (well, used to be friend anyway) Lax Fi's passing. Odd. Well, odd to some/many maybe, but not to me. Seems as if your harsh words and criticisms ended that relationship the same way you're ending it with LP (a little insight from me). Your MO, I guess.
Looking forward to all of your words of advice as to how to best, and properly, run FanLax. Couldn't find a more a more dedicated and trustworthy person to help it along.
Good luck, and best wishes.
I’m genuinely wanting to help make sure this place doesn’t end up like LP.

I’m not sure what DMac is all about, but several things in his post are not only ill-informed, but outrageous and probably one-sided in origin.

His bringing Bob into this is wrong on so many levels.

W
DMac

Post by DMac »

Might as well bring the latest from over there to here too.
Despicable, wrong on so many levels. Yeah, I was thinking
the same...different person though.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Lax power died largely because of awful management decisions by Active. That is absolutely true. But it was indirectly a. result of Larry making bad decisions IF he wanted to preserve LaxPower. It was a choice and he wanted to max his return on investment rather than preserve his creation.

Bob was a friend of mine going back a very long time. He has passed and I recommend leaving him out of the conversation. I know the narrative.
Last edited by OCanada on Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

jhu72 wrote:I haven't been following this thread as closely in the off season, so I am late to the news. The news is very sad. Bob was a gentleman as well as a very special kind of lacrosse fan. He will be missed.
RIP
jhu7276

Post by jhu7276 »

didn't personally know LaxFi, but sorry to hear about his passing...my condolences to all his family
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Didn't personally know him either but I always admired his posts from afar and he seemed like a very nice, measured guy whom I wish I could have known better. RIP.

LaxPower had its issues but Wombat was never one of them for me. I also think it's in poor taste to bring the recently deceased into this. That said, I know it's offseason but it would be great if we could move on and at least attempt to keep this thread somewhat related to Hopkins and lacrosse.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

A heartfelt +1 to all the thoughts on Laxfi - I enjoyed his posts and was one of the many who exchanged PMs with him. Thoughts and prayers to his family.

I would think he would want the conversation to be about the Blue Jays - the only thing I can think of right now is the fact that season/game tickets are on sale should anybody need/want
The interesting thing this year is they make you pick seats for the reserved section. Seems unnecessary with all the factors taking attendance down - haven't seen many fisticuffs over lax seats
A nice weather Maryland as the opponent Homecoming I guess being the exception (to it being really crowded - not fights)
DMac

Post by DMac »

Agree with you, 51. Was a season ticket holder with a designated seat for many years before I gave them up. Gave them up for the reasons you allude to. Want to bring a friend, meet up with someone, sit a few seats up or down? Not happenin'. Got no problem with a designated section for season ticket holders, but the designated seat part is unnecessary. Season ticket holder A can't make it to the game, offers you his ticket, you bring a friend and he/she is sitting ten seats down from you. No need for designated seats for 95% of the lacrosse games I've been too....and crowd sizes are dwindling.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Joel Tinney, Holden Cattoni, and John Ranagan all scored for the Georgia Swarm in the NLL opener last night. Tinney in his NLL debut. Cattoni had 7 pts. Nice day for the Jays in the box world.

My guess is the season-ticket crowd isn't going to be too cutthroat about everyone having to sit in their exact assigned seats. I agree it's unnecessary but I don't foresee it being a huge problem if people still want to sit together. Good thing about Homewood is 1) there's no bad seat in the house and 2) you can always squeeze one more in a row.
DMac

Post by DMac »

"Not a bad seat in the house", and certainly not a bad seat in the designated season ticket holder's section. All reasons to drop the designated seat idea and let people sit wherever they want in that section. Eliminates any potential "cutthroat" behavior.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

OCanada wrote:LaxPower - one of the LaxPower originals passed away today. Bob Fortenbough who was known on LaxPower as Lax Fi, Jersey Joe, Jack of Hearts, Weems Creek Weenie and about 12 more. A great lax fan and friend to many of us.RIP.
Oh No !!!
Say it ain’t so :(
RIP
Lax Fidelis
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

nice preseason love for daniel jones.
https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... cans/53464

4/5 f/o guys are 2019 jays opponents. 3/5 are b1g rivals and none graduate this spring.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06 wrote:nice preseason love for daniel jones.

4/5 f/o guys are 2019 jays opponents. 3/5 are b1g rivals and none graduate this spring.
Nice that he's on there but you'd think the country's SSDM leader in caused turnovers would be higher than a mere honorable mention.

Foley rightfully on 1st team—there was some talk on #LaxTwitter last year that he was overrated and then he proceeded to hold Jared Bernhardt (a 2nd team preseason All-American) to precisely 0 points across two games in the regular season finale and B1G championship. Need him to have another good year and anchor the defense in front of a new goalie, whoever it is.

Faceoffs indeed could be a huge issue for us.
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

HopFan16 wrote:

Nice that he's on there but you'd think the country's SSDM leader in caused turnovers would be higher than a mere honorable mention.
Maybe I am missing something? Are you suggesting that Danny Jones was the D1 leader in caused turnovers for SSDMs? I can think of two of the top of my head that had more CT's and significantly more GBs than Jones (Goodrich and Mangan). Unless I am reading the Jays stat sheet incorrectly, Danny Jones only had 14 CTs and 10 GBs last year.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Henpecked wrote:
HopFan16 wrote:

Maybe I am missing something? Are you suggesting that Danny Jones was the D1 leader in caused turnovers for SSDMs? I can think of two of the top of my head that had more CT's and significantly more GBs than Jones (Goodrich and Mangan). Unless I am reading the Jays stat sheet incorrectly, Danny Jones only had 14 CTs and 10 GBs last year.
You're right, Towson had Goodrich's stats from 2016 up as the most recent. Thought it was from last year.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

OCanada wrote:Lax power died largely because of awful management decisions by Active. That is absolutely true. But it was indirectly a. result of Larry making bad decisions IF he wanted to preserve LaxPower. It was a choice and he wanted to max his return on investment rather than preserve his creation.

Bob was a friend of mine going back a very long time. He has passed and I recommend leaving him out of the conversation. I know the narrative.

OC,

Sent you a PM inquiring about the narrative.

Happy holidays everyone.

W

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”