Race in America - Riots Explode in Chicago

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Typical Lax Dad

Re: Race in America - Riots Explode in Minneapolis

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

6ftstick wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:48 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:47 am

I probably could do this all day long.
Me too.
I know. There are plenty of examples. It’s actually funny.

MAGA
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

6ftstick wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:48 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:47 am

I probably could do this all day long.
Me too.

Yup

https://www.lawenforcementtoday.com/bla ... estaurant/

Want to got out for quiet dinner? Democrats, Black Lives Matter, Antifa have other ideas, trash restaurant full of diners
tech37

Post by tech37 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:46 am
tech37 wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:30 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:54 am On a black person calling the police, you are again misunderstanding the challenge for black men and boys. It's not that the caller is racist, it's that they are more likely to perceive danger when the man or boy is black. This is true throughout the society, in all our messaging, and we see black police at times with these same reactions. And it doesn't matter whether the black boy or man is where they should be, dressed appropriate to their environment, driving a nice car...etc. A black person is less likely to have these perceptions of danger, but it's not a guarantee.
I worked in NYC for 2 decades, the 80s and 90s, catching the dubious end of the Koch admin and then the Dinkins mess. I traveled on foot and subways at all hours of the day, in good and bad areas, and I wasn't packing like Bernard Getz. Looking back, I was probably quite lucky not to have had any incidents. Would I cross the street or change train cars if I felt there was a chance of something happening? You bet, unless there was a cop or two (or back then, even a Guardian Angel) visibly in area, which was rare. Am I racist because of that? No F'ing way. That's called self preservation and has nothing to do with the color of anyone's skin.
I'm with you 100% on taking care to avoid an "incident". We don't walk down a darkened alley by ourselves...

This doesn't make a you a "racist" and no one suggested otherwise.

Now if you're walking down a main Ave and see a group of kids walking toward you, bouncing a basketball, do you notice their skin color? Does it make a difference to your sense of concern? do you cross the street if they're black but not if they're white?

Do those boys notice your reaction on their way to basketball courts behind the church?
It all depends of course. If it's a high crime area I would cross the road whether they were black or white. Would I care how they felt? Not in the least, since I'm looking out for numero uno in that area.

MD, you ever been a victim of a crime? Ever had you car stolen or your house broken into for instance?
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:38 am
jhu72 wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:24 am I'm a descendent of a long line of confederate red necks. Doesn't offend me in the least. Trumpnista are just massive snowflakes. :roll:
I, too, have a bunch of Confederacy and sympathizers and then Jim Crow in my family tree. Even a top cat in the KKK. I don't know how many owned slaves, but certainly some, both the New Orleans side on my mother's dad's tree and my father's southern Maryland and Virginia roots.

Can't say I'm proud of any of that lineage, but we make our own choices today and are responsible for them, not the choices of our ancestors. My ancestors' choices don't make me feel guilty, but certainly it was part of my upbringing to become conscious of this background, the reality of it. To my mind, there's actually an advantage in having such a background to confront. One can't just pretend it away...

On the other hand, some folks choose to pine for the Lost Cause and proudly fly the Confederate flag, heck some twisted souls get a swastika tattoo too.

And some just call others 'woke' as a pejorative, for actually caring about having our society make more progress on race and equity.

all choices.
… in my case it afforded me the opportunity at a young age to see the evil of segregation and the legacy of slavery in rural Virginia. At the same time it afforded me the opportunity to understand what it was not and the massive hypocrisy on all sides of the subject. A truly peculiar institution.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:33 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:24 am Keep closing your eyes and putting your fingers in your ears guys.

It's a heck of way to keep from learning anything.

6x6, let's indeed hope that the police were great with the boys...but nevertheless, would this really have even happened if they were white?

Standing outside a gym with gym bags?
This happens to often...
Caller: I saw two black guys with bags standing outside a school. It didn’t look right.

Dispatcher: “Did they have weapons?”

Caller: “I am not sure, they looked suspicious”

Dispatcher: “thanks”

5 minutes later, someone is dead.

I would like to know how many times the police have been called to Walt Whitman HS because two kids were waiting outside with gym bags.
The school in question has been closed to the public for several months. I don't know how suspicious is suppose to be defined in this situation. Myself, I could not have cared less about who the yutes were or why they were hanging out in the car in front of the school. For whatever reason the person at the school called the police. If you see something, say something. The person at the school could have easily went up to the yutes car and ask them if he/she could help them out. Since they were there with gym bags a logical conclusion would have been that were there for some sort of athletic activity. I get the confusion. In this instance, for some god foresaken reason the cops that showed up are the bad guys and the 2 yutes were in fear for their lives. The simple solution for everybody... just don't call the cops about anything... problem solved and nobody has to be afraid.
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

jhu72 wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:59 am
jhu72 wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:24 am I'm a descendent of a long line of confederate red necks. Doesn't offend me in the least. Trumpnista are just massive snowflakes. :roll:
I, too, have a bunch of Confederacy and sympathizers and then Jim Crow in my family tree. Even a top cat in the KKK. I don't know how many owned slaves, but certainly some, both the New Orleans side on my mother's dad's tree and my father's southern Maryland and Virginia roots.

Can't say I'm proud of any of that lineage, but we make our own choices today and are responsible for them, not the choices of our ancestors. My ancestors' choices don't make me feel guilty, but certainly it was part of my upbringing to become conscious of this background, the reality of it. To my mind, there's actually an advantage in having such a background to confront. One can't just pretend it away...

On the other hand, some folks choose to pine for the Lost Cause and proudly fly the Confederate flag, heck some twisted souls get a swastika tattoo too.

And some just call others 'woke' as a pejorative, for actually caring about having our society make more progress on race and equity.

all choices.
… in my case it afforded me the opportunity at a young age to see the evil of segregation and the legacy of slavery in rural Virginia. At the same time it afforded me the opportunity to understand what it was not and the massive hypocrisy on all sides of the subject. A truly peculiar institution.
This is a conversation for you southern boys to have. My family was Yankee clear to the bone and we kicked your rebel arses all the way to Appomattox Court House.
Typical Lax Dad

cradleandshoot wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:04 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:24 am Keep closing your eyes and putting your fingers in your ears guys.

6x6, let's indeed hope that the police were great with the boys...but nevertheless, would this really have even happened if they were white?

This happens to often...
Caller: I saw two black guys with bags standing outside a school. It didn’t look right.

I would like to know how many times the police have been called to Walt Whitman HS because two kids were waiting outside with gym bags.
The school in question has been closed to the public for several months. I don't know how suspicious is suppose to be defined in this situation. Myself, I could not have cared less about who the yutes were or why they were hanging out in the car in front of the school. For whatever reason the person at the school called the police. If you see something, say something. The person at the school could have easily went up to the yutes car and ask them if he/she could help them out. Since they were there with gym bags a logical conclusion would have been that were there for some sort of athletic activity. I get the confusion. In this instance, for some god foresaken reason the cops that showed up are the bad guys and the 2 yutes were in fear for their lives. The simple solution for everybody... just don't call the cops about anything... problem solved and nobody has to be afraid.
Ok
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

This happens to often...

It went well because there was civility and discipline between the two side....the way it works 99 percent of the time. Good thing there was not a bomb in the gym bag...b/c you know the school could have been named something unpopular.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

6ftstick wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:42 am

all choices.
I see what you did there. Called me a redneck Nazi with some tiny deniability.
"tiny deniability"???
You are not referred to in this...unless you are putting yourself in one of those categories...

I assume you think you're in the latter category re calling people 'woke'.
No, I don't think that makes you a "redneck Nazi"...at least I sure hope that's not who I'm bothering to discuss these issues with!

I think most such people in that category are just a bit clueless. I think it's really, really hard to let go of old conceptions and to really open up and listen. It's especially hard when one feels they are under siege.

and this is exacerbated badly by the politicians who stoke this as if it should be a partisan matter. Red team, Blue team.
Typical Lax Dad

youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Point?
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

youthathletics wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:12 pm

This happens to often...

It went well because there was civility and discipline between the two side....the way it works 99 percent of the time. Good thing there was not a bomb in the gym bag...b/c you know the school could have been named something unpopular.
This entire scenario should have been NBD no harm no foul on anybody. Then one social media post and our local fishwrapper gets involved and suddenly a huge issue materializes out of nothing. If I believe our local FLP fishwrapper this young man and his friend are now traumatized for life. I hope the young man never gets pulled over for speeding. I wonder what kind of basket case he will be then?
Typical Lax Dad

youthathletics wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:46 pmPoint?
What do you think the point is?
ChairmanOfTheBoard

Post by ChairmanOfTheBoard »

Cooter wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:36 am
6ftstick wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:25 am

Take a number a get in line.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/6753362/b ... rre-stunt/
There are a lot of black racists out there. The press and people like to act as if it is just a white thing.
my opinion but if we don't see each other as equal, we can really never reach the goal of being equal.
There are 29,413,039 corporations in America; but only one Chairman of the Board.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

kramerica.inc wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:06 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:55 am
kramerica.inc wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:39 am Was thinking how to solve some issues. How about we start creating "Hamsterdam's" and CHOPs in abandoned city blocks in cities like Detroit Philly/Baltimore?

May be worth the effort - Give landowners the option to sell to the the city under emminent domain and the City can then takes the property off the areas in need of police patrol. Give the police/drug addicts/criminals all a breather?

Move all criminal activity to one cordoned off area, and civilians can avoid if they don't want to be subject to lawlessness.

The caveat is adding barriers to entry- a registation process to ensure participants know what they are entering and that they waive the city of liability.

Thoughts?
Did you think that up, or did you watch season 4 of The Wire?
The Wire, thus why I called it a "Hamsterdam."
With modifications...
So then they call you Bunny?
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:39 am
Tell me that cop lost his job.
Typical Lax Dad

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:48 pm
He is just doing his job....what if that guy had turned out to be a gang banger or dope dealer.....it happens in Bryn Mawr, PA all the time.....why is this dude complaining.....the video is hilarious. He’s supposed to submit. Out walking his dog and in the front yard with his two kids....decent neighborhood....
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:59 pm
youthathletics wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:46 pmPoint?
What do you think the point is?
Because I practice the maieutic method, which is why I first asked. But in typical fashion....you often take issue when asked a direct question, not sure why that is.
~Livy
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:48 pm
No sign that he did. Name Garrett Lindley, and he also shot a woman in 2016. Lawsuit was filed last summer against him by the black man in the video. I cannot find any indication that it was settled, or that there is a verdict yet.

Original incident in May 2016, Houston.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:35 pm
Gotta make that budget!

No worries, Pb hired her to manage his uppity Latino employees who want like a COLA increase once every five years at least.

Return to “POLITICS”