Race in America - Riots Explode in Chicago

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
cradleandshoot

Re: Race in America - Riots Explode in Minneapolis

Post by cradleandshoot »

DMac wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:59 am Knew about that, a s, but that doesn't change this.

2019 A new survey of Native American opinions on the Washington Redskins’ nickname once again demonstrates underwhelming opposition to the moniker and just how out of touch the so-called “mainstream media” really is. The new survey duplicates the Washington Post’s 2016 poll finding that 90 percent of Natives are not offended by the Redskins’ nickname. The word most used is “pride” much to the disappointment of writers at the Post, including Theresa Vargas, who insists the name is a dictionary-defined slur, no matter how many people accept the word. (paragraph 1)
https://naguardians.org/polling/
What is the new PC term for a ticket scalper? :?

What is the new PC term for Chief of Police?

The list could go on and on and on...
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

cradleandshoot wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:02 am
DMac wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:59 am Knew about that, a s, but that doesn't change this.

2019 A new survey of Native American opinions on the Washington Redskins’ nickname once again demonstrates underwhelming opposition to the moniker and just how out of touch the so-called “mainstream media” really is. The new survey duplicates the Washington Post’s 2016 poll finding that 90 percent of Natives are not offended by the Redskins’ nickname. The word most used is “pride” much to the disappointment of writers at the Post, including Theresa Vargas, who insists the name is a dictionary-defined slur, no matter how many people accept the word. (paragraph 1)

You may have missed this:

BTW: https://www.ibtimes.com/redskins-contro ... 5208?amp=1

“We wouldn’t agree to any kind of personification of Native American people as a mascot for any sport,” Oren Lyons, a Native American Faithkeeper of the Turtle Clan of the Seneca Nation of the Iroquois Confederacy and a member of the Onondaga Council of Chiefs in New York, told IBTimes. “You just can’t put people in the same category as animals.”
“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

DMac wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:04 am You can see, TLD, these people don't need to be taught how to think like the white man does (and why the white man would like them to). If they're not offended by the Redskins football team name, they don't need a white guy to tell them why they should be, and if a white guy won't hire a native because he thinks that way, shame on him. But the white man, black man, and yellow man have made sure the name is changed for the red man (or because it makes them feel so good and righteous regardless of what the red man thinks).
Who said they did? Why do you ignore the fact that some natives have been working on this since 1940? Personally the Redskin name doesn’t bother me. But I understand why it’s important to remove stereotypes and slurs from the mass media. If you think it doesn’t shape the way people view native Americans, you are wrong.....and before you say it......it’s not just about Washington Redskins.

“I wish you would!”
DMac

Post by DMac »

Fair enough, and I knew what Oren said/says long ago. As the Dr. in the video says, you can find natives who are indifferent to the name(s) and that's been my experience with the vast majority, and in the poll I posted.
This is where my attitude about the whole thing comes from. The name is changed, so all is well (in that regard).
Typical Lax Dad

DMac wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:47 am Fair enough, and I knew what Oren said/says long ago. As the Dr. in the video says, you can find natives who are indifferent to the name(s) and that's been my experience with the vast majority, and in the poll I posted.
This is where my attitude about the whole thing comes from. The name is changed, so all is well (in that regard).
When black people went from being called, colored to black a lot of people didn't care about being called colored. Many actually didn't want to be called black........Some people didn't care about minstrels. Some people don't care about these modern day minstrel rappers and entertainers...... My point was that negative mass media images do more harm than good. Its not the guys on the reservation that is the problem. It is the people that may give them an opportunity to get off the reservation if they want to get off that's the problem. I don't put as much stock into the "it lowers self esteem" aspect, BTW. If all people were like you, we would not be talking about dropping mascot names.

The poll you posted was flawed by the way. Depending on how a poll is structured, you can get a false result. Another group explained it and ran a more objective poll. It may have been 50/50 or 60/40 (there about). Also phone polls are less accurate than online polls. It is not that the person is being deceptive. It is just how the brain works.
“I wish you would!”
DMac

Post by DMac »

I can appreciate what you're saying, TLD.
As for my flawed poll, I'm not so sure about that (I also know what I've heard from the horse's mouth).
One new component of this survey was that it offered respondents more than 40 emotions to choose from to express how the name Redskins makes them feel. Included were words like proud, disappointed, empowered, embarrassed, appreciative and hopeless.

Vargas appeared to identify with the people who selected the descriptors of hopeless and disappointment. The Washington Post writer said she's moved on, but it's to the wrong side of public opinion.
https://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/cultu ... atest-poll
ChairmanOfTheBoard

Post by ChairmanOfTheBoard »

cradleandshoot wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:02 am

native american is offensive. because they aren't americans; they are known by their tribe.

also, because vespucci was a slaveholder.
There are 29,413,039 corporations in America; but only one Chairman of the Board.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

According to the POTUS, it's just freedom of speech. https://flip.it/Fegx0Q
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Was thinking how to solve some issues. How about we start creating "Hamsterdam's" and CHOPs in abandoned city blocks in cities like Detroit Philly/Baltimore?

May be worth the effort - Give landowners the option to sell to the the city under emminent domain and the City can then takes the property off the areas in need of police patrol. Give the police/drug addicts/criminals all a breather?

Move all criminal activity to one cordoned off area, and civilians can avoid if they don't want to be subject to lawlessness.

The caveat is adding barriers to entry- a registation process to ensure participants know what they are entering and that they waive the city of liability.

Thoughts?
Typical Lax Dad

DMac wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:24 am I can appreciate what you're saying, TLD.
As for my flawed poll, I'm not so sure about that (I also know what I've heard from the horse's mouth).
One new component of this survey was that it offered respondents more than 40 emotions to choose from to express how the name Redskins makes them feel. Included were words like proud, disappointed, empowered, embarrassed, appreciative and hopeless.

Vargas appeared to identify with the people who selected the descriptors of hopeless and disappointment. The Washington Post writer said she's moved on, but it's to the wrong side of public opinion.
I will find the article. It had good info on how the structure of a poll influences responses.
“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

Matnum PI wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:36 am According to the POTUS, it's just freedom of speech. https://flip.it/Fegx0Q
MAGA
“I wish you would!”
DMac

Post by DMac »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:47 am

I will find the article. It had good info on how the structure of a poll influences responses.
Thanks, will be interesting but I pretty much get it.

Would you date a fat girl? Check one, YES-NO.
Would you date a voluptuous girl? Check one, YES-NO-MAYBE.

Gonna get different results there.
Typical Lax Dad

DMac wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:53 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:47 am

Thanks, will be interesting but I pretty much get it.

Would you date a fat girl? Check one, YES-NO.
Would you date a voluptuous girl? Check one, YES-NO-MAYBE.

Gonna get different results there.
https://www.washingtonian.com/2020/02/2 ... kins-name/

I found it interesting. Personally, even if Natives didn’t mind, I would still discourage the use of some native ethnic mascots. Redskin just isn’t a name that celebrates anything....if it does, I would like to hear how it does in a different context. I can see warrior, brave, scout, chief etc. but how is redskin used in a sentence that celebrates something? “He was a smart Redskin”?
“I wish you would!”
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:01 am My point was that negative mass media images do more harm than good.
You are correct.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
ChairmanOfTheBoard

Post by ChairmanOfTheBoard »

kramerica.inc wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:39 am Was thinking how to solve some issues. How about we start creating "Hamsterdam's" and CHOPs in abandoned city blocks in cities like Detroit Philly/Baltimore?

May be worth the effort - Give landowners the option to sell to the the city under emminent domain and the City can then takes the property off the areas in need of police patrol. Give the police/drug addicts/criminals all a breather?

Move all criminal activity to one cordoned off area, and civilians can avoid if they don't want to be subject to lawlessness.

The caveat is adding barriers to entry- a registation process to ensure participants know what they are entering and that they waive the city of liability.

Thoughts?
an interesting concept but at what point does this become ruby ridge?

answer- pretty early
There are 29,413,039 corporations in America; but only one Chairman of the Board.
Bart

Post by Bart »

ChairmanOfTheBoard wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:29 pm
kramerica.inc wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:39 am Was thinking how to solve some issues. How about we start creating "Hamsterdam's" and CHOPs in abandoned city blocks in cities like Detroit Philly/Baltimore?

Thoughts?
an interesting concept but at what point does this become ruby ridge?

answer- pretty early
We're gonna need Snake Plissken...............
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Thoughts?

I think this exposes the Left.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

How about that, a Democrat who knows Secoriea's name. There's a first for everything!

Of course, these Democrats in NYC just split the head of the Chief of Police in NYC:

https://twitter.com/NYScanner/status/12 ... 52484?s=20

Return to “POLITICS”