Johns Hopkins 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Homer

Re: Johns Hopkins 2021

Post by Homer »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:30 am Feel like I'm taking crazy pills. If anyone was being ageist it was the guy summarily writing off the concerns of young people
Maybe one could infer from BJS47's post a certain implication of animus toward young people qua young people. I don't necessarily read it that way, but I can see how one could. Your response to BJS47, by contrast, is explicitly about age from the first word to the last. That you find exactly one of these posts to be unambiguously ageist, and think it isn't yours, strikes me as applying a very strange double standard.
HopFan16 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:30 am out of absolutely nowhere, I might add
The post in question was explicitly framed: "Regarding 'diversity' at JHU." The immediately preceding post, by SteelHop, discussed "diversity" as one motivation for Stanford's decision to cut several non-revenue sports. Although it hasn't been discussed much on the Hop thread, other threads have had more conversation about diversity as an institutional imperative in light of similar decisions at other elite schools. In that context I thought BJS47 did a decent job of lampshading the logical connection to previous posts.
HopFan16 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:30 am with scare quotes to invalidate their constitutional right.
Look, anybody saying anything about anything is exercising his or her constitutional right. If you think a particular group of protestors' slogans are inane and stupid, saying so doesn't impugn their right to protest, any more than your saying so about BJS47's posts impugns his right to say stuff on the internet. I'm not sure I grasp the reference to scare quotes: being an activist doesn't confer any special rights to speak, so whether the students are activists or merely "activists" makes no difference from a constitutional standpoint.
HopFan16 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:30 am His post was absolutely dripping with condescension
No argument there.
HopFan16 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:30 am toward students whose peaceful assemblage, I'm pretty confident in saying, doesn't really impact him
This seems like an odd requirement for somebody to be entitled to an opinion. I don't know much about these York Rd. protestors, but are they getting together, say, to recite Zen koans and modernist poetry as a form of pure performance art? Or are they taking positions on matters of public policy of interest to anyone with a stake in the overall direction of government and society? You can't have it both ways: if the students are engaged in core political expression on issues of broad public relevance, then any citizen has standing to comment, regardless of whether he or she is "impacted" in some narrow sense.
HopFan16 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:30 am or have anything to do with lacrosse.
Maybe, maybe not. It's the offseason.
HopFan16 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:30 am What exactly was the substantive point? That it is not diverse to protest for equality using popular slogans? What does that even mean? I did not engage with the substance of the post because there wasn't any.
Here's what I took it to mean; the OP can correct me if I've got it wrong. It's a longstanding critique of "diversity," in the concrete way that concept has been interpreted and pursued in American society within the past generation or so, that it tends to produce institutions that draw upon a wider range of different demographic groups but are actually more, not less, uniform in their members' beliefs and outlook, as well as more homogeneous between one such institution and another.

If one defines diversity circularly just to mean the presence of certain groups pre-defined to be "diverse," then there's no problem here. But if you think of that demographic push as -- among other things -- a means to the larger end of promoting a more genuinely varied and unpredictable pluralism of ideas and perspectives, not only within any given institution, but also between each institutional community and its peers, then it seems to me perfectly legitimate to wonder if something has gone wrong along the way.

At least, if it is the case that students' social and political views are more rigidly stereotyped, less subject to idiosyncratic local and personal differences, than at some time in the past (this may nor may not be true, but I gather it's what BJS47 thinks), then that certainly looks like a relevant data point in determining whether "diversity" is a laudable ideal or hollow slogan. Which should presumably affect the way one thinks about institutions that appeal to it in making major decisions about, e.g., sports.
HopFan16 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:30 am It's pretty telling you deemed only one post to be "openly dismissive" in this instance.
That is not what I said. My claim was that if we think somebody's age provides a license to be openly dismissive of their opinions, then there's at least as strong an argument for dismissing the opinions of the young as of the old. The clear implication was that no ideas should be dismissed purely because of the age of the person who has them. I do think BJS47 was openly dismissive of the student protestors. But that was because -- rightly or wrongly -- he sees their ideas as silly and shallowly conformist. This is a claim debatable on its merits, not an appeal to authority based on being, or not being, any particular age.
HopFan16 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:30 am If I attempted to dismiss his opinion it was because he tried to do the same to an entire group of young people. Of course he is entitled to it—whether or not it's relevant I guess we're just going to have to disagree on.
I can certainly sympathize with the impulse to defend someone whose expression you feel has been unfairly maligned. After all, I'm I don't-know-how-many-words deep into a defense of somebody else's post, who is clearly capable of speaking for himself, and whose modal contribution to the Hop thread is basically "That Q the K! That Q the K! I do not like that Q the K!" So whatever else we have to agree to disagree on, I guess we've both got that going for us. ;)
Drcthru

Post by Drcthru »

What is the sound of one mouth yapping?
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to do the dishes.
MusaCyanocitta

Post by MusaCyanocitta »

Drcthru wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:49 pm What is the sound of one mouth yapping?
Tough to tell on this thread since so many mouths yap at once.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Time for a Will Hunting to step in to embarrass the condescending
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

6 months into corona and the leading medical university in the world isn't selling nag themed facemasks but they're searching for names to rip off buildings.

bring back the weekly youtube game watches w/alumni. why is the university so stupid with easy stuff sometimes?
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

jhu06 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:29 pm 6 months into corona and the leading medical university in the world isn't selling nag themed facemasks but they're searching for names to rip off buildings.

bring back the weekly youtube game watches w/alumni. why is the university so stupid with easy stuff sometimes?
Hopkins have any buildings named after Raymond Pearl?
Homer

Post by Homer »

stupefied wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:19 pm Time for a Will Hunting to step in to embarrass the condescending
I do like apples, why do you ask? :lol:
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Homer wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:52 pm
stupefied wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:19 pm Time for a Will Hunting to step in to embarrass the condescending
I do like apples, why do you ask?
Lol, the Illiad may have been a shorter read than some posts here
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

Drcthru wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:49 pm What is the sound of one mouth yapping?
Zen koans! We are doing better!

What is the sound of the ball going into your opponent’s net more often than your own?
mdlaxfan

Post by mdlaxfan »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:09 am UA will still supply uniforms though I suppose this gives the school an opportunity to reassess the entire relationship if they see fit. I know it doesn't matter much to a lot of people here but recruits these days really like the UA uniforms. I for one *greatly* prefer them to the Nike ones they were wearing circa 2016-2017. Hopefully they continue wearing the Cascade helmets (owned by Maverik, which was founded by John Gagliardi though he's since sold the company). As always—if you don't care about any of this, and I know many of you don't, feel free to just ignore it.

Owen McManus was named a Big Ten Distinguished Scholar, the first time ever for a sophomore at Hopkins. He had a 4.0 GPA this fall https://hopkinssports.com/news/2020/7/1 ... holar.aspx
And those dirty sweatpants wearing gals on the women's lacrosse team managed to land 9 of their own on that list. I wonder if this qualifies as fulfilling the school's mission.

https://hopkinssports.com/news/2020/7/6 ... olars.aspx
Hoponboard

Post by Hoponboard »

At least in VA HS, writing is on the wall.

“Boys’ and girls’ lacrosse are considered high-risk and would not be played at all this school year.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2 ... -football/
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

mdlaxfan wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:48 am
HopFan16 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:09 am UA will still supply uniforms though I suppose this gives the school an opportunity to reassess the entire relationship if they see fit. I know it doesn't matter much to a lot of people here but recruits these days really like the UA uniforms. I for one *greatly* prefer them to the Nike ones they were wearing circa 2016-2017. Hopefully they continue wearing the Cascade helmets (owned by Maverik, which was founded by John Gagliardi though he's since sold the company). As always—if you don't care about any of this, and I know many of you don't, feel free to just ignore it.

Owen McManus was named a Big Ten Distinguished Scholar, the first time ever for a sophomore at Hopkins. He had a 4.0 GPA this fall https://hopkinssports.com/news/2020/7/1 ... holar.aspx
And those dirty sweatpants wearing gals on the women's lacrosse team managed to land 9 of their own on that list. I wonder if this qualifies as fulfilling the school's mission.

just to be clear, we're not the same poster.

24 of the women made the Big Ten Academic team (wow!) and 9 were distinguished scholars (again wow!).

https://hopkinssports.com/news/2020/6/1 ... -team.aspx

The men put 10 onto the academic list, with one distinguished.

Note any difference in majors?

https://hopkinssports.com/news/2020/6/1 ... -team.aspx
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Everyone knows your grades and your other academic accomplishments only count if you don't wear sweatpants around campus.

There's yet another piece in US Lax Mag today about John Grant Jr. (He's playing in this month's MLL tournament.) I've never met the guy but the sense I'm getting is that he is widely, perhaps universally respected and admired not just as a player but as a human being.
NOVALax2015

Post by NOVALax2015 »

Hoponboard wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:36 pm At least in VA HS, writing is on the wall.

“Boys’ and girls’ lacrosse are considered high-risk and would not be played at all this school year.”

Virginia cancelled the past lacrosse season (all spring sports) before the regular season games started. One of the three options being considered, switching fall and spring seasons and cancelling high risk sports in fall, would mean 2 lost years of HS lacrosse in Virginia. That would be absolutely awful. I hope they go with the 3 condensed season option.
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

Hoponboard wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:36 pm At least in VA HS, writing is on the wall.

I'm a football fan first and foremost but that is pure nonsense that boys and girls lacrosse would be more high-risk than football.

This is about the fact, many boys and girls play fall sports and then play spring sports and this is about rosters sizes and fielding teams. Football is more popular than lacrosse (don't know if field hockey is more popular than girls lacrosse), lacrosse is canceled without any analysis. It is complete absurd. Someone will likely sue because there has been no input from the public on this topic.

But, I'm of the view, there won't be sports at all in Virginia. My county just moved all public schools from a hybrid teaching model or full DL to all DL for the 1st quarter. How things change in mid-November after the 1st quarter would determine to get kids back in school. When did society allow itself to be run by the biggest fearmongers? When did society stop looking at long term consequences of these actions.

If my kid was anywhere near a top player in lax and playing in VA, he or she would be taking the year off. I would home school them and have them play next year or look at private options out of the state. This will only increase the power of club teams.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Colwell removed from the roster as expected, while The White Whale of the Midfield, Alex Mabbett, is now wearing #16.

Transfer portal entrant Gainey is still on the roster, which, for now, means six goalies with the addition of Kirson, incoming freshman DiMarsico, the apparent retention of redshirt senior Giacalone, plus Darby and Marcille. I would still be very surprised if we enter the 2021 season (assuming there is one) with that many goalies. On the alumni Q&A call, Milliman was asked specifically about the goalie number, he basically gave a non-answer, saying the guys are excited about the competition and they intend to start the best guy for the job.
NOVALax2015

Post by NOVALax2015 »

steel_hop wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:33 am

I'm a football fan first and foremost but that is pure nonsense that boys and girls lacrosse would be more high-risk than football.

This is about the fact, many boys and girls play fall sports and then play spring sports and this is about rosters sizes and fielding teams. Football is more popular than lacrosse (don't know if field hockey is more popular than girls lacrosse), lacrosse is canceled without any analysis. It is complete absurd. Someone will likely sue because there has been no input from the public on this topic.

But, I'm of the view, there won't be sports at all in Virginia. My county just moved all public schools from a hybrid teaching model or full DL to all DL for the 1st quarter. How things change in mid-November after the 1st quarter would determine to get kids back in school. When did society allow itself to be run by the biggest fearmongers? When did society stop looking at long term consequences of these actions.

If my kid was anywhere near a top player in lax and playing in VA, he or she would be taking the year off. I would home school them and have them play next year or look at private options out of the state. This will only increase the power of club teams.
Football and lacrosse are placed in the highest risk category. Interesting that they consider lacrosse (girls and boys) to be riskier than soccer. I would think they are on an equal risk footing in terms of risk of Covid spread. BTW, VHSL has a website set up to vote on preference for next year:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIp ... cEyBudDIn4
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

NOVALax2015 wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:22 am

Football and lacrosse are placed in the highest risk category. Interesting that they consider lacrosse (girls and boys) to be riskier than soccer. I would think they are on an equal risk footing in terms of risk of Covid spread. BTW, VHSL has a website set up to vote on preference for next year:
There is actually more body contact in soccer than there is in lacrosse. I find it to be more physical. Not as many collisions but more physical over the course of 90 minutes. It’s not close.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:54 am
NOVALax2015 wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:22 am

There is actually more body contact in soccer than there is in lacrosse. I find it to be more physical. Not as many collisions but more physical over the course of 90 minutes. It’s not close.
I wouldn't disagree with that. But, on some level, this is about which individual sports have political power/leverage than others. Pending any changes, PA just announced they are going to play all sports in their normal times.
bauer4429

Post by bauer4429 »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:15 am Colwell removed from the roster as expected, while The White Whale of the Midfield, Alex Mabbett, is now wearing #16.

Transfer portal entrant Gainey is still on the roster, which, for now, means six goalies with the addition of Kirson, incoming freshman DiMarsico, the apparent retention of redshirt senior Giacalone, plus Darby and Marcille. I would still be very surprised if we enter the 2021 season (assuming there is one) with that many goalies. On the alumni Q&A call, Milliman was asked specifically about the goalie number, he basically gave a non-answer, saying the guys are excited about the competition and they intend to start the best guy for the job.

I don’t see the problem with having more goalies. A lot of times the recruited commits don’t measure up, and a hungry unknown comes in and puts on a display. Goalie is a tough position. You either have a coach the gets reps in for the backups or the coach that hangs his hat on one amd rides them exclusively. My advice to goalies is to evaluate the coaches, the first type will see to it you develop, whereas the latter will cause you to wilt.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”