Fall Sports Cancelled

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Typical Lax Dad

Re: Fall Sports Cancelled

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

bauer4429 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:15 pm Not sure how some will hold practices since I think both Harvard and Princeton are just having freshman on campus. Many colleges will not have full campuses. The dominos link seems accurate .... the leagues are starting to fall. This won’t just affect the fall sports, it will impact spring too.
Princeton will actually have Freshman and Juniors and then flip to Sophomores and Seniors
“I wish you would!”
OSVAlacrosse

Post by OSVAlacrosse »

There are many factors in this current mess. I think it is a broken system when 90%+ of college athletics is contingent on the money raised by a few teams in two sports. Also factor in the raising apathy toward sports and the fact that most tuition paying parents are not happy when they pay as much as $70K per year and learn that the budget for the handball team was almost $1m to operate. Most didn't even know they had a team. Simply put, college sports were broken before and now it will be smashed to pieces. "Non" revenue coaches earning over $300K to run what should be a club activity is not going to be sustainable. Furthermore, the fact that many of these adults and athletes are funded by sports that are predominately played by black and brown students who do not get paid and get penalized for accepting grocery money does not not fly either. It it time to de-fund the NCAA. Let the programs fund themselves. I am sure SEC football will do just fine in that scenario. I assume most here are concerned with lacrosse as am I. The advantage of the lacrosse world is that there is a passionate and financially supportive base that can fund programs. There may need to be smaller budgets and less travel but the sport would survive. In fact, this would open the door for many new programs. Unfortunately Title IX may not be a factor but also not a limitation. Imagine lacrosse in the SEC and a full ACC. They may have to divide into the ACC D1 and ACC MCLA. D3 schools can be combined into more geographically or historically logical conferences as there would be no D1 or D3 differences think about W&L, VMI, Lynchburg and Richmond all in the same conference. UVA, IVY league, JHU, 'Cuse, MD, Duke and others would not miss a beat. They could sign a contract with ESPN the next day. Recruiting events would still take place. This may be a an unrealistic dream but at this time why not add an optimistic post?
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Given the preliminary data coming from South Korea, Spain, and the UK about antibodies post-infection (only 16% of one UK sample maintaining antibodies 3 months post-infection), I'm becoming skeptical that a vaccine will be the panacea that everyone hopes it will be (and I think there will be at least 1 vaccine early in Q1). If those studies in those countries generalize to larger samples and populations, this virus will be similar to other existing coronaviruses (limited immunity, reoccurring infections). If a vaccine is available in early Q1, everyone is back on campus. Everything resumes, even if it means fall and spring sports overlap (and why can't lacrosse get pushed back past Memorial Day?).

What I want to know more about is what type of antivirals and therapeutics are being developed that can take symptoms from a 10 down to a 5? A vaccine will allow everyone to feel like we can open everything up, but if that vaccine only confers 3 months of immunity, antivirals and therapeutics will matter way more in keeping everything open.

So I think we'll be back to sports and school and eating out after New Year's. I worry if come Spring Break time, are we going to see a huge wave of new or re-infections?

If anyone knows info about antivirals or therapeutics coming out, I'm all ears.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Wheels wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:09 pm Given the preliminary data coming from South Korea, Spain, and the UK about antibodies post-infection (only 16% of one UK sample maintaining antibodies 3 months post-infection), I'm becoming skeptical that a vaccine will be the panacea that everyone hopes it will be (and I think there will be at least 1 vaccine early in Q1). If those studies in those countries generalize to larger samples and populations, this virus will be similar to other existing coronaviruses (limited immunity, reoccurring infections). If a vaccine is available in early Q1, everyone is back on campus. Everything resumes, even if it means fall and spring sports overlap (and why can't lacrosse get pushed back past Memorial Day?).

What I want to know more about is what type of antivirals and therapeutics are being developed that can take symptoms from a 10 down to a 5? A vaccine will allow everyone to feel like we can open everything up, but if that vaccine only confers 3 months of immunity, antivirals and therapeutics will matter way more in keeping everything open.

So I think we'll be back to sports and school and eating out after New Year's. I worry if come Spring Break time, are we going to see a huge wave of new or re-infections?

If anyone knows info about antivirals or therapeutics coming out, I'm all ears.
I have said all along that therapeutics are more critical and a more likely path back to some degree of normalcy. I am not high on a vaccine being the answer for a coronavirus.
“I wish you would!”
harflax

Post by harflax »

https://apnews.com/e4d5259bfc6c74fcb090 ... SocialFlow

This is out of my wheelhouse but this sounds encouraging
caneedsmorelax

Post by caneedsmorelax »

The City of Philadelphia has banned large events through February. This includes sporting events. Only sporting events with less than 25 "people". I assume this means coaches and spectators, too.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/coronaviru ... uary-2021/
bauer4429

Post by bauer4429 »

It states “organized sports fewer than 25 people” .... that may mean athletes. Mandates such as this are likely to become common sadly.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

caneedsmorelax wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:15 pm The City of Philadelphia has banned large events through February. This includes sporting events. Only sporting events with less than 25 "people". I assume this means coaches and spectators, too.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/coronaviru ... uary-2021/
So.
Switch your games to outside of PhilaPa.
Some leagues have already mandated flexible
scheduling.
Drexel, Penn, are S.O.L. to start the season,
or teams are figuring on a later start anyway.
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

Thor1 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:43 pm
JBFortunato wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:39 pm There won't be college sports during the 2020-2021 academic year. Sorry boys. No football, no basketball, no lacrosse.

People are terrified, you can see it just in the little microcosm of the FanLax Forums. You can see it in the way college administrators are acting. And there almost certainly won't be an effective vaccine. Ever. (So if that's what we're waiting for, gonna be a looooong wait.)

When the college football and basketball seasons are cancelled, the trickle of billions of dollars through the NCAA, down to D2 and D3 schools, will come to a full stop. Hundreds of colleges will simply close their doors.

Mid to low level D1, and all D2 and D3 sports, will be eliminated from any remaining colleges. There simply won't be any money. The NCAA will cease to exist as a viable entity soon thereafter. It's unlikely that college sports will ever resume in any form resembling what we have known.

Don't tell me I'm being "negative". When a populace is utterly terrified, nothing is safe - your constitutional rights, your job, your college, your sports, your fun.

Part One is over: terror has been instilled in the people. Part Two is just beginning. Buckle up. Pack a lunch.
It is people like you that create the problems
Hes actually quite sensible if I might add, If you can get past the fear you will see clearer
calourie

Post by calourie »

JoeMauer89 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:02 pm
Thor1 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:43 pm
JBFortunato wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:39 pm There won't be college sports during the 2020-2021 academic year. Sorry boys. No football, no basketball, no lacrosse.

People are terrified, you can see it just in the little microcosm of the FanLax Forums. You can see it in the way college administrators are acting. And there almost certainly won't be an effective vaccine. Ever. (So if that's what we're waiting for, gonna be a looooong wait.)

When the college football and basketball seasons are cancelled, the trickle of billions of dollars through the NCAA, down to D2 and D3 schools, will come to a full stop. Hundreds of colleges will simply close their doors.

Mid to low level D1, and all D2 and D3 sports, will be eliminated from any remaining colleges. There simply won't be any money. The NCAA will cease to exist as a viable entity soon thereafter. It's unlikely that college sports will ever resume in any form resembling what we have known.

Don't tell me I'm being "negative". When a populace is utterly terrified, nothing is safe - your constitutional rights, your job, your college, your sports, your fun.

Part One is over: terror has been instilled in the people. Part Two is just beginning. Buckle up. Pack a lunch.
It is people like you that create the problems
Hes actually quite sensible if I might add, If you can get past the fear you will see clearer
Sensible to some, nonsensical to others. I make it a point to root my vision in what I can surmise to be facts rather than fear, and must say I find JBs projections a bit over the top. The world, the country, and even college lacrosse are likely to survive the Covid pandemic reasonably intact, no matter how long it takes, and in spite of the level of disgruntlement, frustration, conflict, disagreement etc. that seems to currently be headlining our country's response to the disease. I would propose JB's and apparently your projection that the baby is being flushed down the drain with the bathwater is in itself fear mongering, which as you unwittingly imply is likely to be an impediment to the clear vision you claim to possess.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

One of the bigger D2 conferences (PSAC) suspended fall sports while leaving open the option to play those sports in the spring. They don't sponsor lacrosse, but this is the D2 equivalent of the SEC or B1G deciding to suspend fall and maybe push to spring. Others in D2 will probably follow suit pretty quickly.
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

Lenwood117 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:13 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:26 pm I don't think there is going to be any fall sports anywhere. Most sports will just be canceled, but many could be pushed into the spring, creating a scheduling and logistics nightmare with existing spring sports like lacrosse. I think it's survivable, but it will be headache-inducing for many athletic programs and could further erode financial support for non-revenue sports. I would not count out the possibility of a shortened 2021 season, perhaps with some leagues electing to limit travel or restrict schedules to conference opponents only. Maybe this is what will finally get the start of the season to move back to March. Seems like a decent excuse to eliminate February lacrosse—gives you more time for a vaccine as well. Schedules could trim down from 13-14 opponents to 8-10. I don't think we return to a "normal" season of lacrosse until 2022, by that point hopefully there will be a reliable vaccine made widely available. Not sure it'll happen in time to keep the 2021 season from being seriously impacted. There is some optimism that a serviceable one might be ready by then but discovering a vaccine and distributing it quickly and safely is a different story—not sure the current people in charge are capable.
Your right Biden is much sharper.
Classic.

It's "you're" btw...lol.
bauer4429

Post by bauer4429 »

Surfs_Up wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:51 am So, the Ivy and Patriot cancelled fall sports. What impact does that have on the spring sports like Lacrosse? Does that mean NCAA lacrosse teams can't practice in the fall? Is there a natural consequence to the spring that comes of that?

Trying to understand the impact of no fall sports on spring lacrosse but haven't seen anything yet.
There’s only so many stadiums, athletic fields, and weight rooms at colleges and universities. Cancelled fall sports pushed to spring will impact practices and games for spring sports, plus I would think revenue generators like football would get preference. So when would lacrosse teams be able to take the field? Also, If a number of students opt out of college this year to avoid paying for a “less than” college experience, colleges will be unable to continue funding non-revenue generating sports like lacrosse. We have already seen this impact through cancelled sport teams at some colleges and universities. This crisis is far from over and the winter threatens to be worse given the flu season. If it is, spring seasons won’t happen either and we will certainly see a number of colleges shutter all together.
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

Wheels wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:12 pm One of the bigger D2 conferences (PSAC) suspended fall sports while leaving open the option to play those sports in the spring. They don't sponsor lacrosse, but this is the D2 equivalent of the SEC or B1G deciding to suspend fall and maybe push to spring. Others in D2 will probably follow suit pretty quickly.
PSAC is a huge sponsor of D2 Women's Lax... Just not men's.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

RedFromMI wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:48 pm
Wheels wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:12 pm One of the bigger D2 conferences (PSAC) suspended fall sports while leaving open the option to play those sports in the spring. They don't sponsor lacrosse, but this is the D2 equivalent of the SEC or B1G deciding to suspend fall and maybe push to spring. Others in D2 will probably follow suit pretty quickly.
PSAC is a huge sponsor of D2 Women's Lax... Just not men's.
Very true. My bad!
flyerfan17

Post by flyerfan17 »

How can you play sports when you can barely pay the profs what they so deserve...
Gorilla Fan

Post by Gorilla Fan »

bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

Who knows the Euro* sports 'system'? In my very limited knowledge I've heard the Universities there are 'club' sports-centric, in the American college club team sense, while private/regional club teams are the feeders/trainers for high level football, basketball, hockey etc, akin to North America's Junior Hockey system.
HIGHLY unlikely to happen here, but could this moment, and college/university budget issues provide movement towards this here? $$$ or lack thereof can really upturn any status-quo.

*I realize this is one he!! of a generalization.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

There are virtually no college sports as we think of them in Europe. The University system itself is very different, there are far fewer per capita and many fewer people go (the literally thousands of small, random colleges in the US astounds Europeans). Outside of crew and maybe rugby, there really is no history/emphasis/interest in intercollegiate sports. No one who plays profession soccer or basketball in a top European league plays in college, they join private clubs and enroll in sports academies very young. These are both local/regional and, at a higher level, run by professional teams (you would join the, say, Lakers Academy at age 6 or 7). This means they are, literally, scouting 5 year olds at camps. The vast majority of these of course do not pan out but those kids will get their school through the club schools. There is not even anything close to the same style of high school sports that we have here, all serious sports after youth is run by clubs/academies. I agree the intercollegiate athletic system as we know it might be in for some seismic shifts but it is hard to imagine us going that route. Perhaps more of a consolidation of sports at fewer schools rather than shifting elite sports out of schools.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

bearlaxfan wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:12 am Who knows the Euro* sports 'system'? In my very limited knowledge I've heard the Universities there are 'club' sports-centric, in the American college club team sense, while private/regional club teams are the feeders/trainers for high level football, basketball, hockey etc, akin to North America's Junior Hockey system...
In European football ('soccer"), each country has a hierarchy of professional divisions; while lower-division teams can get promoted up and higher-division clubs relegated down, the lower division teams effectively serve as feeders for the top-division clubs. Also, in this day and age, top-flight leagues in smaller countries like Belgium, Denmark and Switzerland serve as feeders for clubs in England, Spain, Italy and Germany. Clubs in Europe also source players from teams in South America, Africa and Asia. Lots of reasons why this isn't a model easily transferable to the US, although I could imagine US pro teams having to pay colleges and universities when college players go pro.
Last edited by FannOLax on Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”