Fall Sports Cancelled

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Surfs_Up

Fall Sports Cancelled

Post by Surfs_Up »

So, the Ivy and Patriot cancelled fall sports. What impact does that have on the spring sports like Lacrosse? Does that mean NCAA lacrosse teams can't practice in the fall? Is there a natural consequence to the spring that comes of that?

Trying to understand the impact of no fall sports on spring lacrosse but haven't seen anything yet.
calourie

Re: Fall Sports Cancelled

Post by calourie »

The impression I got from the Ivy League outline was that they were looking for ways to enable practices of some sort to happen during the fall. I imagine the will take some creative gestures toward social distancing and physical contact that would make for less than ideal conditions for team development other than field positioning, but might contribute to condtioning and individual skills improvement.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

NJCAA fall sports moved to spring...
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
DMac

Post by DMac »

Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

calourie wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:55 am The impression I got from the Ivy League outline was that they were looking for ways to enable practices of some sort to happen during the fall. I imagine the will take some creative gestures toward social distancing and physical contact that would make for less than ideal conditions for team development other than field positioning, but might contribute to condtioning and individual skills improvement.
Ivy League shouldn’t have to make that big of an adjustment for fall practices. Small groups already part of the process.
“I wish you would!”
bauer4429

Post by bauer4429 »

Not sure how some will hold practices since I think both Harvard and Princeton are just having freshman on campus. Many colleges will not have full campuses. The dominos link seems accurate .... the leagues are starting to fall. This won’t just affect the fall sports, it will impact spring too.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

I don't think there is going to be any fall sports anywhere. Most sports will just be canceled, but many could be pushed into the spring, creating a scheduling and logistics nightmare with existing spring sports like lacrosse. I think it's survivable, but it will be headache-inducing for many athletic programs and could further erode financial support for non-revenue sports. I would not count out the possibility of a shortened 2021 season, perhaps with some leagues electing to limit travel or restrict schedules to conference opponents only. Maybe this is what will finally get the start of the season to move back to March. Seems like a decent excuse to eliminate February lacrosse—gives you more time for a vaccine as well. Schedules could trim down from 13-14 opponents to 8-10. I don't think we return to a "normal" season of lacrosse until 2022, by that point hopefully there will be a reliable vaccine made widely available. Not sure it'll happen in time to keep the 2021 season from being seriously impacted. There is some optimism that a serviceable one might be ready by then but discovering a vaccine and distributing it quickly and safely is a different story—not sure the current people in charge are capable.
Lenwood117

Post by Lenwood117 »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:26 pm I don't think there is going to be any fall sports anywhere. Most sports will just be canceled, but many could be pushed into the spring, creating a scheduling and logistics nightmare with existing spring sports like lacrosse. I think it's survivable, but it will be headache-inducing for many athletic programs and could further erode financial support for non-revenue sports. I would not count out the possibility of a shortened 2021 season, perhaps with some leagues electing to limit travel or restrict schedules to conference opponents only. Maybe this is what will finally get the start of the season to move back to March. Seems like a decent excuse to eliminate February lacrosse—gives you more time for a vaccine as well. Schedules could trim down from 13-14 opponents to 8-10. I don't think we return to a "normal" season of lacrosse until 2022, by that point hopefully there will be a reliable vaccine made widely available. Not sure it'll happen in time to keep the 2021 season from being seriously impacted. There is some optimism that a serviceable one might be ready by then but discovering a vaccine and distributing it quickly and safely is a different story—not sure the current people in charge are capable.
Your right Biden is much sharper.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Big Ten and I believe ACC are doing conference only games
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:26 pm I don't think there is going to be any fall sports anywhere. Most sports will just be canceled, but many could be pushed into the spring, creating a scheduling and logistics nightmare with existing spring sports like lacrosse. I think it's survivable, but it will be headache-inducing for many athletic programs and could further erode financial support for non-revenue sports. I would not count out the possibility of a shortened 2021 season, perhaps with some leagues electing to limit travel or restrict schedules to conference opponents only. Maybe this is what will finally get the start of the season to move back to March. Seems like a decent excuse to eliminate February lacrosse—gives you more time for a vaccine as well. Schedules could trim down from 13-14 opponents to 8-10. I don't think we return to a "normal" season of lacrosse until 2022, by that point hopefully there will be a reliable vaccine made widely available. Not sure it'll happen in time to keep the 2021 season from being seriously impacted. There is some optimism that a serviceable one might be ready by then but discovering a vaccine and distributing it quickly and safely is a different story—not sure the current people in charge are capable.
Push the games back to March....Conference only. Eliminate conference tournaments. Go straight to NCAA. Regular season conference winners + at large. Call it a season.
“I wish you would!”
JBFortunato

Post by JBFortunato »

There won't be college sports during the 2020-2021 academic year. Sorry boys. No football, no basketball, no lacrosse.

People are terrified, you can see it just in the little microcosm of the FanLax Forums. You can see it in the way college administrators are acting. And there almost certainly won't be an effective vaccine. Ever. (So if that's what we're waiting for, gonna be a looooong wait.)

When the college football and basketball seasons are cancelled, the trickle of billions of dollars through the NCAA, down to D2 and D3 schools, will come to a full stop. Hundreds of colleges will simply close their doors.

Mid to low level D1, and all D2 and D3 sports, will be eliminated from any remaining colleges. There simply won't be any money. The NCAA will cease to exist as a viable entity soon thereafter. It's unlikely that college sports will ever resume in any form resembling what we have known.

Don't tell me I'm being "negative". When a populace is utterly terrified, nothing is safe - your constitutional rights, your job, your college, your sports, your fun.

Part One is over: terror has been instilled in the people. Part Two is just beginning. Buckle up. Pack a lunch.
Thor1

Post by Thor1 »

Speaking to a few college coaches seems up in the air. Most are hopeful to just get small group/positional work in and possibly an inter squad scrimmage. Highly unlikely there are any Fall Ball games. Schools that aren't allowing Fall sports will not be practicing at all. NJCAA moves Fall sports to Spring...that happens in D1-3 and field time and use of locker rooms or practice facilities will defer to revenue sports. I am remaining cautiously optimistic that we see lacrosse in the Spring.
Thor1

Post by Thor1 »

JBFortunato wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:39 pm There won't be college sports during the 2020-2021 academic year. Sorry boys. No football, no basketball, no lacrosse.

People are terrified, you can see it just in the little microcosm of the FanLax Forums. You can see it in the way college administrators are acting. And there almost certainly won't be an effective vaccine. Ever. (So if that's what we're waiting for, gonna be a looooong wait.)

When the college football and basketball seasons are cancelled, the trickle of billions of dollars through the NCAA, down to D2 and D3 schools, will come to a full stop. Hundreds of colleges will simply close their doors.

Mid to low level D1, and all D2 and D3 sports, will be eliminated from any remaining colleges. There simply won't be any money. The NCAA will cease to exist as a viable entity soon thereafter. It's unlikely that college sports will ever resume in any form resembling what we have known.

Don't tell me I'm being "negative". When a populace is utterly terrified, nothing is safe - your constitutional rights, your job, your college, your sports, your fun.

Part One is over: terror has been instilled in the people. Part Two is just beginning. Buckle up. Pack a lunch.
It is people like you that create the problems
DMac

Post by DMac »

BAM......, right between the eyes.
Would love to disagree with you, JBF, find it mighty hard to though.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Thor1 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:43 pm It is people like you that create the problems
It's a small fraction that are in full panic mode. And another small fraction that is in panic mode about this panic mode. When you add them together, it's still a small fraction. Competent people, in general, are making the decisions, not the panicking people and... I'm also hopeful to see lacrosse in the spring.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
DMac

Post by DMac »

Right, because none of that is actually happening all around you. All the restaurants are going to reopen, well, 'cept for the ones that have already folded, bars with limited capacity, malls with only 50% capacity allowed. Nope, none of that will happen in the sports world though...stands'll packed. Maybe Cuse will break their 30+K attendance record for a hoops game this year (or next), eh?
calourie

Post by calourie »

Matnum PI wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:47 pm
Thor1 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:43 pm It is people like you that create the problems
It's a small fraction that are in full panic mode. And another small fraction that is in panic mode about this panic mode. When you add them together, it's still a small fraction. Competent people, in general, are making the decisions, not the panicking people and... I'm also hopeful to see lacrosse in the spring.
Well stated, Matt. I'm going to blame social media for eliminating any barriers between reality and "hoax news" and the random speculation that breakdown engenders. By having or putting competent people in charge the possibility of positive outcomes is greatly increased. A tempered, consistent and reasoned approach tends to make it far easier to evaluate effectiveness as well. Ivies are going to reevaluate in late fall to determine the course of action going forward.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Matnum PI wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:47 pm
The small fraction is indeed true but I think you are very much underestimating the impact that they have on decisions makers. Less than 2% of Americans post regularly on Twitter yet Twitter functions as supernumerary editor/judge on what proper attitudes, beliefs, likes, etc are. Put more plainly, the squeaky wheel gets the grease. As calourie says, I do believe a lot of decision makers will try to approach the return of sports with a tempered, consistent and reasoned approach. Their critics however will not and the loudest and most hysterical voices virtually always carry the day nowabouts.
PicLax

Post by PicLax »

I think there are a couple towering obstacles to college sports happening at all this year.
One, in an effort to decrease number of students on campus, many schools have made the decision to preclude whole classes of students from returning for the fall semester for in-person learning. Not only does this eliminate opportunity for fall sport teams to play, but off-season practices also impacted. If the policy of curtailing students from attending in-person continues into the spring, spring sports will also be eliminated.
Two, everyone knows that football and basketball bring in the revenue that allow other sports to exist. Whether or not a particular school benefits directly from their own football/basketball revenue, the fact is that money generated within the NCAA by football and basketball, and how it is allocated to all institutions, subsidizes and allows all other NCAA sports to exist. Curtailed or eliminated football season, curtailed or eliminated basketball season (which is supposed to start in November) and all sports would be in jeopardy this year.
bauer4429

Post by bauer4429 »

I would recommend any incoming freshman’s to defer their admissions for a year. I would recommend upcoming sophomores sit out a year too. It seems the whole year is questionable. Stay home, take a few online classes to get ahead, and come back for fall 2022 when this is all over and you can have a normal college and athletic experience.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”