All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 69

wgdsr

Re: All things Chinese CoronaVirus

Post by wgdsr »

Bart wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:19 pm
wgdsr wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:34 am
if ny and nj et al with high case fatality are continuing to reclassify, ok. if not, should be as interested in them as i heard once last wk that at least ny is barely testing anyone nowadays.
I just read NYS had 60,050 tests yesterday with 912 positive for a 1.5% positive rate. NYS has been hovering right around 1% since I have been paying attention, until this one was at 1.5%.
that's good (probably) i must've heard it wrong... on teevee, other room. thought i heard 4k. of course it does matter who is being tested and how (the elite? businesses? contact tracing? ) and the question i have and someone can probably find out is why ny/nj/ct are coming in at very high case fatality rates.
ggait

Post by ggait »

Birdbrains. 35 deaths yesterday.
A crime how bad the UF math department must be.
c'mon guys, everyone keep up. one day numbers don't mean anything. 7 days are better.
That's the meaningful data.

The 7 day daily death average is rising in the USA overall. Now up to 750 per day. And also rising in CA, FL, TX, AZ and other places.

Thankfully, deaths aren't rising nearly as fast as cases and we very likely will stay below the March/April peak -- younger demos, better treatments, etc. etc.

But cases (leading indicator) are rising, so you have to be concerned about what will eventually happen to deaths (lagging indicator). FWIW, IHME now projecting that deaths mostly go sideways (or very slightly decline) until 9/1 and then will start going up as we get into the fall.

So while there may not be a huge death spike, it isn't looking like there's going to be a continuing decline either.

Tl/DR: Narrative fail from Petey Brown and DOPUS, not those gay guy/ugly gal Democrats.
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

ggait wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:36 pm
c'mon guys, everyone keep up. one day numbers don't mean anything. 7 days are better.
That's the meaningful data.

The 7 day daily death average is rising in the USA overall. Now up to 750 per day. And also rising in CA, FL, TX, AZ and other places.

Thankfully, deaths aren't rising nearly as fast as cases and we very likely will stay below the March/April peak -- younger demos, better treatments, etc. etc.

But cases (leading indicator) are rising, so you have to be concerned about what will eventually happen to deaths (lagging indicator). FWIW, IHME now projecting that deaths mostly go sideways (or very slightly decline) until 9/1 and then will start going up as we get into the fall.

So while there may not be a huge death spike, it isn't looking like there's going to be a continuing decline either.

Tl/DR: Narrative fail from Petey Brown and DOPUS, not those gay guy/ugly gal Democrats.

Congrats, you finally got one thing correct here.

:lol:
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

wgdsr wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:35 pm
if ny and nj et al with high case fatality are continuing to reclassify, ok. if not, should be as interested in them as i heard once last wk that at least ny is barely testing anyone nowadays.
I just read NYS had 60,050 tests yesterday with 912 positive for a 1.5% positive rate. NYS has been hovering right around 1% since I have been paying attention, until this one was at 1.5%.
that's good (probably) i must've heard it wrong... on teevee, other room. thought i heard 4k. of course it does matter who is being tested and how (the elite? businesses? contact tracing? ) and the question i have and someone can probably find out is why ny/nj/ct are coming in at very high case fatality rates.
I am interested in the RNA sequence and whether we have seen a mutation to something less dangerous. Also, I believe early on, only sick people were being tested so that would lend itself to a higher deaths/tests ratio. The ratio is likely overstated. As more and more tests are conducted, the rate should continue to fall.
Last edited by Typical Lax Dad on Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“I wish you would!”
Bart

Post by Bart »

Great question. I would like to know as well.
Here is a link to NYS Health Department Site: https://covid19tracker.health.ny.gov/vi ... &%3Atabs=n

Interesting data. The data from 7/13 is the latest. Lots of stuff on the site.
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

When I posted this got no response.

I started elementary school with Small pox, chicken pox, measles, mumps and POLIO.

Parents were on record that only Nuclear war worried them more than polio.

All i carried to protect me was a Davy Crockett lunch box and a Howdy Doody pencil holder.

Never a discussion of closing schools. No discussion at all really.

believe a lot of you grew up at the same time
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:43 pm
I am interested in the RNA sequence and whether we have seen a mutation to something less dangerous. Also, I believe early on, only sick people were being tested so that would lend itself to a higher deaths/tests ratio. The ratio is likely overstated. As more and more tests are conducted, the rate should continue to fall.
yes. i'm talking about now, not march or april.
a fan

Post by a fan »

No joke....DeSantis just eliminated the Math Department at U Florida over Covid tax shortfalls.

Totally serious, and this explains an awful lot......

By the way, you get to see up close and personal the financial games Republican taker States play.....

Among the (Florida) cuts is $225 million in state funding for affordable housing, which DeSantis said will be offset by $250 million in federal money for rental and mortgage assistance directed to Florida under CARES act funding.

See...you don't need to tax Pete and his fellow Floridians for this handout. What you do, is tax all the people in California and New York, and take THEIR money so that Florida taxes can stay low.

Isn't that neat, 6ft and Cradleandshoot? You pay more, so Pete pays less. Makes perfect sense, right guys?

You're only $1.3 Billion short of expected tax revenue, Pete. So really, you're all set.

My advice? Stick it to the next generation of Floridians, and cut the F out of K-12 education. You got yours, right? So F them!

https://www.gainesville.com/news/202006 ... y-desantis
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

a fan wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:52 pm
No joke....DeSantis just eliminated the Math Department at U Florida over Covid tax shortfalls.

Totally serious, and this explains an awful lot......

By the way, you get to see up close and personal the financial games Republican taker States play.....

Among the (Florida) cuts is $225 million in state funding for affordable housing, which DeSantis said will be offset by $250 million in federal money for rental and mortgage assistance directed to Florida under CARES act funding.

See...you don't need to tax Pete and his fellow Floridians for this handout. What you do, is tax all the people in California and New York, and take THEIR money so that Florida taxes can stay low.

Isn't that neat, 6ft and Cradleandshoot? You pay more, so Pete pays less. Makes perfect sense, right guys?

You're only $1.3 Billion short of expected tax revenue, Pete. So really, you're all set.

My advice? Stick it to the next generation of Floridians, and cut the F out of K-12 education. You got yours, right? So F them!

https://www.gainesville.com/news/202006 ... y-desantis
Correction on your statement - it was a statewide math program for schools (K-12) that was vetoed. Still could get overriden. Math department at UF still intact, and probably self-sufficient anyway with research grant money plus the need to teach a whole lot of college math classes...

Oh and for PB and his cherry-picked data - for today it is 132 so far...
a fan

Post by a fan »

RedFromMI wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:53 pm Correction on your statement - it was a statewide math program for schools (K-12) that was vetoed. Still could get overriden. Math department at UF still intact, and probably self-sufficient anyway with research grant money plus the need to teach a whole lot of college math classes...
I saw that info. elsewhere...but it had a paywall...so I tried to use a better link. My mistake for the conflation!

Point being, they are cutting into State Education, including Pete's U of Florida....

Similarly, state money for college and university projects also got shelved. Included in the vetoes was $5 million for the State College of Florida-Manatee, Sarasota’s Parrish Center; $20 million for Florida State University’s College of Business; and $1 million for the University of Florida’s Lastinger Center.

Another $15 million for the state’s Universities of Distinction award, aimed at schools other than UF, FSU and the University of South Florida, which already have preeminent university status, was also cut.
CU88

Post by CU88 »

6ftstick wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:31 am
CU88 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:28 am With proactive governance it can be done.

New Zealand lifts all Covid restrictions, declaring the nation virus-free

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-52961539

At midnight local time (12:00 GMT), all of New Zealand moved to level one, the lowest of a four-tier alert system.

Under new rules, social distancing is not required and there are no limits on public gatherings, but borders remain closed to foreigners.

New Zealand has reported no new Covid-19 cases for more than two weeks.
Homogeneous Population the size of South Carolina.
Population size has nothing to do with it. (Not sure what you mean by homogeneous and how it impacts a viral spread)

Japan has 126,500,000 people and a total of 21,000 cases. Over 700 of those cases were with the Diamond Princess cruise ship in Yokohama in February.

The virus does not move, people move it. We stop moving, the virus stops moving, the virus dies.

It is that simple.
by cradleandshoot » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:57 am
Mr moderator, deactivate my account.
You have heck this forum up to making it nothing more than a joke. I hope you are happy.
This is cradle and shoot signing out.
:roll: :roll: :roll:
calourie

Post by calourie »

Peter Brown wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:56 am
RedFromMI wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:48 am
Peter Brown wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:44 am
ggait wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:35 am
Peter Brown wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:25 am [quote=RedFromMI post_id=167176 time=<a href="tel:1594728787">1594728787</a> user_id=551]
[quote="Peter Brown" post_id=167168 time=<a href="tel:1594727816">1594727816</a> user_id=1372]
death rates and length of ICU stay are dropping

time for democrats to ratchet up the panic!
Umm, no. Actually ticking up (death rates) a bit. Given that the explosion of cases in CA, TX, FL, AZ started about three weeks ago, about what to expect...
The key is to keep up the hysteria until midnight November 3.
Pete will keep posting this dumb assery every week until (like a broken clock) he’s finally right.

Note how completely data free his assertions are.

Look, so weird, but a CEO of a huge Florida hospital chain says ggait doesn't know what he's talking 'bout...I know I know, hard to believe. :lol:

https://www.mynews13.com/fl/orlando/new ... s-prepared

AdventHealth CEO: Our Florida ICUs Stocked, Prepared
But that article has absolutely NOTHING about deaths. Only that this particular hospital says they are prepared bed/equipment wise. I have to agree with ggait - still completely data free if the data is irrelevant...

Birdbrains.

35 deaths yesterday.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/usa/florida/
[/quote]

35 deaths yesterday, 132 reported today. Most of us are able to take into account that the weekend numbers of Covid cases and deaths that come out Sunday and Monday are always under reported because even our greatly overused healthcare workers take a bit of paperwork time off over the weekends. Cherry picking data from those days to support a point of view is either an exercise in intentional obfuscation, or an inability to interpret ongoing verifiable data meaningfully.
ggait

Post by ggait »

6ftstick wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:45 pm When I posted this got no response.

I started elementary school with Small pox, chicken pox, measles, mumps and POLIO.

All i carried to protect me was a Davy Crockett lunch box and a Howdy Doody pencil holder.

You missed the biggest, most obvious, most comparable, data point. Lots and lots of schools were closed for lots and lots of weeks during the 1918 pandemic. You know that one time when everyone had to wear a mask by law?

It would probably be worth a look to see what the impact of that was. Did the schools open/close too late, too early? Did closing schools work or not?
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

CU88 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:03 pm
6ftstick wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:31 am
CU88 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:28 am With proactive governance it can be done.

New Zealand lifts all Covid restrictions, declaring the nation virus-free

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-52961539

At midnight local time (12:00 GMT), all of New Zealand moved to level one, the lowest of a four-tier alert system.

Under new rules, social distancing is not required and there are no limits on public gatherings, but borders remain closed to foreigners.

New Zealand has reported no new Covid-19 cases for more than two weeks.
Homogeneous Population the size of South Carolina.
Population size has nothing to do with it. (Not sure what you mean by homogeneous and how it impacts a viral spread)

Japan has 126,500,000 people and a total of 21,000 cases. Over 700 of those cases were with the Diamond Princess cruise ship in Yokohama in February.

The virus does not move, people move it. We stop moving, the virus stops moving, the virus dies.

It is that simple.
It is that simple. People don’t want to take the hard medicine. If we took the hard medicine back in April/May....we would be seeing daylight. Presidential politics did not help.
“I wish you would!”
ggait

Post by ggait »

35 deaths yesterday, 132 reported today.
[/quote]

Petey just needs to keep posting and posting how the deaths are really going down.

Eventually, he'll be right. But, unfortunately, probably not soon.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

You also had drills, hiding under your desk for when the bomb dropped...
holmes435

Post by holmes435 »

ggait wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:22 pm Petey just needs to keep posting and posting how the deaths are really going down.

Eventually, he'll be right. But, unfortunately, probably not soon.
Daily Florida Fatalities and the 7-Day Average :( :

https://tallahasseereports.com/2020/07/ ... us-battle/
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

ggait wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:19 pm

You missed the biggest, most obvious, most comparable, data point. Lots and lots of schools were closed for lots and lots of weeks during the 1918 pandemic. You know that one time when everyone had to wear a mask by law?

It would probably be worth a look to see what the impact of that was. Did the schools open/close too late, too early? Did closing schools work or not?
one thing we do know is that the fall surge was much worse than the prior spring surge...did schools reopen in the fall?
It'd be interesting to know.
ggait

Post by ggait »

Well you know what, MD? There's actually some DATA on that. Crazy, I know.

https://www.healthaffairs.org/doi/full/ ... 28.6.w1066

This is a good read. Much of what the study says could have been written yesterday.

Many big city schools closed. LA schools did distance learning (via mail). NYC and Chicago schools stayed open during the second Fall peak (which was the bad one), arguing that the kids were better off in school. As the pandemic got worse, up to 50% of the kids were held back at home by their parents.

Which is probably one big takeaway. Just because you open the schools does not mean that the kids will show up.
Last edited by ggait on Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:28 pm
ggait wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:19 pm

one thing we do know is that the fall surge was much worse than the prior spring surge...did schools reopen in the fall?
It'd be interesting to know.
POTUS Biden will fix all of this. How do I know that? BECAUSE STONE COLD JOEY SAID SO... insert Biden crushing a union made empty beer can on his forehead. :lol: My guess is that POTUS Biden will blame any failures at containing the virus on the "previous administration" My second guess is all the FLP toadstools on this forum will line up right behind him like baby duck to momma duck. The abject hostility towards trumps inability to control covid will morph into compassion and understanding that POTUS Biden has good intentions oozing out of every pore in his body. We can never forget that Democrat ideology is fundamentally grounded in good intentions. That is not to be confused with anything resembling positive results. Anybody that dies of Covid in a Biden administration will have died wrapped up in the FLP blanket of good intentions. That will make it all better. Like a wet sloppy kiss on a boo boo. :roll:
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:

Return to “POLITICS”