All things Chinese CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 69

Peter Brown

Re: All things CoronaVirus

Post by Peter Brown »

6ftstick wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:18 am
DocBarrister wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:15 am
6ftstick wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:04 am
seacoaster wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:52 am
Peter Brown wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:37 am
youthathletics wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:36 am
6ftstick wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:41 am I remember going to school in the middle of Smallpox, Measles, Chickenpox, Mumps The Flu and POLIO. Pre-vaccine

A 1952 survey found that Americans feared only nuclear annihilation more than polio.

And schools were open.

ps: Thank God for that evil white privileged racist Jona Salk.
:lol: :lol: But you didn't have media and manipulated stats to scare you. ;)

The Left's entire thesis is predicated on hoping more people die. Great look! :roll:
Another in a long series of stupid things you have had to say. You take up a lot of room on these boards; I sure wish you had something interesting or thought-provoking to say.

The "left" doesn't want more people to die (and of course it is offensive to say that, and to inevitably generalize this way); the "left" would like to see the federal government lead a little, follow and advance the science. Science warned against reopening prematurely, and it appears that science was right. Science indicated that masks were a very good idea; the President signaled daily that they were unnecessary. The "left's" message here has been coextensive with the science; the diversion from the Executive Branch's message is because the science isn't conducting an "at all costs" reelection campaign.
Science "may or may not be" (that's debatable) but liberal democrats and their MSM megaphones certainly are. Can't trust any of them.

Science (Faucci) is saying OPEN the schools

Science (Faucci, The Surgeon General, CDC, WHO et al) initially indicated masks were a bad idea.
Trump, who neither respects science nor the experts, has driven the United States into an unparalleled disaster. You really want to follow that moron on school openings? Risk my child’s life on that? Seriously, screw you.

Fauci and the Surgeon General were initially wrong on masks and other aspects of COVID-19. Like the experts and scientists they are, they did what Trump is clearly incapable of doing ... they learned from their mistakes.

Trump is a mortal threat to the American people. Just ask the 137,000 dead.

DocBarrister
Chinese Communists are a mortal threat to all people. Just ask the 571,000 dead. 11,000 just yesterday.

A significant % of America's modern Left would have no problem *saying* they'd prefer to live like Chinese communists; once they had to live under the system for a few months, they'd change their tune. The problem with bowing to communism is, once the party takes over, it doesn't care much for democracy afterward, so it's unlikely you'll regain your right to choose how to live once you forfeit it. The Left is a cancer to America.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

6ftstick wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:41 am I remember going to school in the middle of Smallpox, Measles, Chickenpox, Mumps The Flu and POLIO. Pre-vaccine

A 1952 survey found that Americans feared only nuclear annihilation more than polio.

And schools were open.

The Left's entire thesis is predicated on hoping more people die. Great look! :roll:
Another in a long series of stupid things you have had to say. You take up a lot of room on these boards; I sure wish you had something interesting or thought-provoking to say.

The "left" doesn't want more people to die (and of course it is offensive to say that, and to inevitably generalize this way); the "left" would like to see the federal government lead a little, follow and advance the science. Science warned against reopening prematurely, and it appears that science was right. Science indicated that masks were a very good idea; the President signaled daily that they were unnecessary. The "left's" message here has been coextensive with the science; the diversion from the Executive Branch's message is because the science isn't conducting an "at all costs" reelection campaign.
Science "may or may not be" (that's debatable) but liberal democrats and their MSM megaphones certainly are. Can't trust any of them.

Science (Faucci, The Surgeon General, CDC, WHO et al) initially indicated masks were a bad idea.
Trump, who neither respects science nor the experts, has driven the United States into an unparalleled disaster. You really want to follow that moron on school openings? Risk my child’s life on that? Seriously, screw you.

Fauci and the Surgeon General were initially wrong on masks and other aspects of COVID-19. Like the experts and scientists they are, they did what Trump is clearly incapable of doing ... they learned from their mistakes.

DocBarrister
Fauci and the Surgeon general where dealing with a scarce resource issue. People confuse that with Fauci not knowing if a mask was helpful. Conflation.
“I wish you would!”
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:43 am

And schools were open.

DocBarrister
Fauci and the Surgeon general where dealing with a scarce resource issue. People confuse that with Fauci not knowing if a mask was helpful. Conflation.
BS and you know it. Certainly there was a shortage of PPE, but there was never a shortage of cloth for a make-shift face covering.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Typical Lax Dad

youthathletics wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:52 am

And schools were open.

DocBarrister
BS and you know it. Certainly there was a shortage of PPE, but there was never a shortage of cloth for a make-shift face covering.
Why do you think they didn’t recommend cloth?
“I wish you would!”
Farfromgeneva

Re: All things Chinese CoronaVirus

Post by Farfromgeneva »

CU77 wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:20 am I wish that no one had to die from covid. But at least this woman's death has meaning, if it turns even one soul away from trumpist stupidity:

texshop_image.jpg
While unfortunate I wouldn't exactly toss her into the same category as the Tibetan monks who self-immolate to protest human rights violations.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:53 am

And schools were open.

DocBarrister
You have all the answers....you tell us?
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

I use cloth, honestly figured it was ok. Have one DMac would be proud of - totally Tie Dye. Tying the back is a pain in the a**. Is cloth meaningfully worse than the "regular" ones? Haven't looked closely enough at this.
Typical Lax Dad

youthathletics wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:55 am

And schools were open.

DocBarrister
It’s not my answer. It’s Fauci’s. I don’t have any skin in the game:

1. When the coronavirus pandemic hit stateside, face masks were strictly recommended as personal protective equipment (PPE) for health care professionals. According to Anthony Fauci, the nation's leading infectious disease expert and a key member of the White House coronavirus task force, masks weren't advised to the public from the start because of the anticipated PPE shortages.

2. “We now know from recent studies that a significant portion of individuals with coronavirus lack symptoms (‘asymptomatic’) and that even those who eventually develop symptoms (‘pre-symptomatic’) can transmit the virus to others before showing symptoms,” the CDC said in its announcement. “In light of this new evidence, CDC recommends wearing cloth face coverings in public settings where other social distancing measures are difficult to maintain (e.g., grocery stores and pharmacies) especially in areas of significant community-based transmission.”

3. Cloth masks have been determined to be better than nothing but don’t “prevent the spread”.

I use N95 or a cloth mask with a HEPA filter insert. Hopefully it helps.
Last edited by Typical Lax Dad on Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
“I wish you would!”
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

Screen-Shot-2020-07-08-at-3.35.12-PMwtmk.jpg
Screen-Shot-2020-07-08-at-3.35.12-PMwtmk.jpg (53.25 KiB) Viewed 1278 times
Typical Lax Dad

6ftstick wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:04 am Screen-Shot-2020-07-08-at-3.35.12-PMwtmk.jpg
+1
“I wish you would!”
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:03 am I use cloth, honestly figured it was ok. Have one DMac would be proud of - totally Tie Dye. Tying the back is a pain in the a**. Is cloth meaningfully worse than the "regular" ones? Haven't looked closely enough at this.
I have just switched to using my old bandanas they work just fine for me.
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:04 am

And schools were open.

DocBarrister

1. When the coronavirus pandemic hit stateside, face masks were strictly recommended as personal protective equipment (PPE) for health care professionals. According to Anthony Fauci, the nation's leading infectious disease expert and a key member of the White House coronavirus task force, masks weren't advised to the public from the start because of the anticipated PPE shortages.

2. “We now know from recent studies that a significant portion of individuals with coronavirus lack symptoms (‘asymptomatic’) and that even those who eventually develop symptoms (‘pre-symptomatic’) can transmit the virus to others before showing symptoms,” the CDC said in its announcement. “In light of this new evidence, CDC recommends wearing cloth face coverings in public settings where other social distancing measures are difficult to maintain (e.g., grocery stores and pharmacies) especially in areas of significant community-based transmission.”

3. Cloth masks have been determined to be better than nothing but don’t “prevent the spread”.

Props to you for using the N95. My wife comes home every day from work with a rash on her face where her N95 sits for 8 hours. They work the best but they were not designed for comfort and breathability.
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
Typical Lax Dad

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:03 am I use cloth, honestly figured it was ok. Have one DMac would be proud of - totally Tie Dye. Tying the back is a pain in the a**. Is cloth meaningfully worse than the "regular" ones? Haven't looked closely enough at this.
Buy some N95 or KN95 masks if you can. It’s better protection. I have been buying them and sending them to friends and family. Sending a bunch to my sister. She just went back to work last week.
“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

cradleandshoot wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:12 am

And schools were open.

DocBarrister

Props to you for using the N95. My wife comes home every day from work with a rash on her face where her N95 sits for 8 hours. They work the best but they were not designed for comfort and breathability.
Yes. I don’t have to wear it for 8 hours thank goodness. My sister and niece are nurses also. My mother in law was a psychiatric nurse. She had tough cases.
“I wish you would!”
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

And also if you need to stick up the local 7-11
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

And schools were open.

DocBarrister

This is accurate above.

However, where I think the public health people got it wrong was in not urging people to wear cloth masks early on. They could and should have explained to the public that N95's etc needed to be reserved for those on the front lines, but the rest of us could at least help slow transmission by wearing a cloth mask, made at home if necessary. Countries which had previously had respiratory illness spread immediately adopted masks, indeed I have recounted how in Hong Kong, where the populace does not really trust the government, when the government was downplaying the virus (but they knew people in wuhan) everyone put on a mask...

But a key factor to asking Americans to do so was the shortage of high quality masks...this should have been nationalized immediately, with all the major retailers and manufacturers immediately directed to get the products off their shelves and sent to a national distribution center, production ramped up immediately.

The big retailers would have and the rest of industry would have immediately surged production of lesser quality, inexpensive masks (as they've now done) for the general populace, and more and more higher quality masks would have been designed and produced in turn. Eventually replacing the lower quality.

We can only speculate, at this point, what the discussions were behind closed doors with Trump, the political types and order takers on the Task Force and the doctors, like Fauci and Birx and Redfield. Fauci has exhibited the most independence of the bunch, so is particularly castigated in his role of downplaying masks early on. Did he know that the Task force and Trump would refuse to nationalize PPE distribution and production? Same for testing and testing supplies. (which is what they continue to refuse to do even now) Did they decide that they simply couldn't afford panic usage of high quality masks, desperately needed by the medical workers? Or did they underestimate the airborne transmission dynamics, at least initially?

In any case, the public health folks, including Fauci, began pushing mask wearing way, way ahead of Trump's willingness to concede that maybe some people should wear masks, if not himself. For months he was mocking those wearing masks, politicizing it all...definitely not because he was listening to Fauci!
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:09 am
I have just switched to using my old bandanas they work just fine for me.
Just to be clear, any face covering is better than none, both for oneself and for spreading to others.

But the better the mask at filtration and the better fitting the mask, the better at reducing both in and out of virus.

If one is at higher personal risk or is with someone at personal risk, best to use the highest quality mask when in close proximity. But in general moving around, plenty of distancing, whatever is comfortable to wear is far better than nothing at all, especially in terms of one spreading to others inadvertently.
Typical Lax Dad

I heard from my colleague who is involved with 30+ charter schools. Big Trump guy and was a big supporter of Betsy Devos. I asked what is their plan for school re-opening. He said a hybrid in-class / distance model is preferred. He said it is unbelievable that Governors are pressing for a full 5 day in class format. He thinks it’s crazy. This is from what was a big Trump supporter. Trump lost him early in the year. The type of guy that might vote for Biden but won’t re-up with Trump. Politically active. He misread Trump coming in. He expected more.
“I wish you would!”
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:13 am
Buy some N95 or KN95 masks if you can. It’s better protection. I have been buying them and sending them to friends and family. Sending a bunch to my sister. She just went back to work last week.
Been thinking about it, even if honestly just to have the ear hooks/rings. Had been back and forth between upstate NY and Atlanta so much from March through June that I just used what I had (made for me), but being here more regularly and starting to take some meetings and business interactions in person occasionally I need to tighten my s**t up.

BTW, the YMCA lake camp (Lake Burton) that got hit is the sister one to the one (Lake Lanier) I was going to send my son to for his first sleepover camp. They cancelled the Lanier one just like two weeks ago when a counselor tested positive at ours. He would've been there this week. Camp's plan was to test 1-2 days prior to attendance roughly up until mid-late June.

Return to “POLITICS”