Race in America - Riots Explode in Chicago

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
DocBarrister

Re: Race in America - Riots Explode in Minneapolis

Post by DocBarrister »

DMac wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:42 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote
So there are no “Indian“ groups that oppose the name “Redskins”...That’s your position?
No, that is not my position, and I've never said that. Read the results of the surveys I posted above. 7 out of 10 not offended by the name, the other one says 9 out of 10 not offended, and then I said that is my personal experience as well. I have talked with these people eyeball to eyeball about this, TLD, I'm not hesitant to, or the least bit shy about doing so, I want to hear it from the horse's mouth. I'm telling you what my experience has been, but of course, as with pretty much everything else, there isn't unaimous agreement. Essentially this is a non issue made into an issue by the PC mafia.
What you don’t seem to understand is this ... assuming those surveys are accurate (not sure they are), it’s the 3 out of 10 or 1 out of 10 that are more than sufficient to justify changing the name.

You won’t really understand the problem with racism until you understand that.

Enlightened change often begins with a small number of people who just won’t take the same sh%t anymore.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

DMac wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:07 am Yeah, it's fact that the white man is telling the Indian what he better think of himself as, cuz he better mold himself to fit the white man's image. Keep fighting the good fight for them.
Put your articles down and go talk to them and let me know what they have to say.
It’s the guy that may hire them that’s the problem.
“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

DocBarrister wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:09 am
DMac wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:42 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote
So there are no “Indian“ groups that oppose the name “Redskins”...That’s your position?
No, that is not my position, and I've never said that. Read the results of the surveys I posted above. 7 out of 10 not offended by the name, the other one says 9 out of 10 not offended, and then I said that is my personal experience as well. I have talked with these people eyeball to eyeball about this, TLD, I'm not hesitant to, or the least bit shy about doing so, I want to hear it from the horse's mouth. I'm telling you what my experience has been, but of course, as with pretty much everything else, there isn't unaimous agreement. Essentially this is a non issue made into an issue by the PC mafia.
What you don’t seem to understand is this ... assuming those surveys are accurate (not sure they are), it’s the 3 out of 10 or 1 out of 10 that are more than sufficient to justify changing the name.

You won’t really understand the problem with racism until you understand that.

Enlightened change often begins with a small number of people who just won’t take the same sh%t anymore.

DocBarrister
Also, some have not complained because they have decided to take money from the Redskins for their silence. One group decided they won’t take the $200k a year anymore.
“I wish you would!”
DMac

Post by DMac »

Got it, Doc. Nine out of ten customers like the butter pecan ice cream down at the ice cream stand but they take it off the menu because one doesn't. Squeaky wheel and all that, eh?
Typical Lax Dad

One of my favorite Spike Lee films. Probably his last good film.
Last edited by Typical Lax Dad on Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
“I wish you would!”
DMac

Post by DMac »

Okay, fellas, it's all yours. From here on out I'll ignore what the boys at the Rez tell me and listen to you guys instead.
Have a nice day.
Typical Lax Dad

DMac wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:16 am Okay, fellas, it's all yours. From here on out I'll ignore what the boys at the Rez tell me and listen to you guys instead.
Have a nice day.
It’s not the guys on the Rez that’s the problem.
“I wish you would!”
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

DMac wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:16 am Okay, fellas, it's all yours. From here on out I'll ignore what the boys at the Rez tell me and listen to you guys instead.
Have a nice day.
That poll also wasn’t very scientific.

A more recent poll showed about half found the current Washington team name offensive.

https://www.washingtonian.com/2020/02/2 ... kins-name/

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Different perspectives are inevitable and good. We learn and grow from this. Where we don't learn and grow is when the different perspectives relate to empathy. e.g. One person says, It hurts me when you do that. and the second person says, You're just saying that because you're trying to be PC, you liberal Dem! The country is changing and will continue to change. We've never had a less empathetic POTUS and, as a nation, globally, people are reacting to this. Things have finally become extreme enough in terms of selfishness and empathy-less-ness that we're making changes. The less-empathetic among us can continue to insist that the issue isn't a lack of empathy but, instead, Political Correctness running wild and... That's just more of an expression of a lack empathy. And... Empathy matters. This continual, insistent lack of empathy is just grinding to watch.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Typical Lax Dad

Here are a couple of good mascots:

“I wish you would!”
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Matnum PI wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:23 am Different perspectives are inevitable and good. We learn and grow from this. Where we don't learn and grow is when the different perspectives relate to empathy. e.g. One person says, It hurts me when you do that. and the second person says, You're just saying that because you're trying to be PC, you liberal Dem! The country is changing and will continue to change. We've never had a less empathetic POTUS and, as a nation, globally, people are reacting to this. Things have finally become extreme enough in terms of selfishness and empathy-less-ness that we're making changes. The less-empathetic among us can continue to insist that the issue isn't a lack of empathy but, instead, Political Correctness running wild and... That's just more of an expression of a lack empathy. And... Empathy matters. This continual, insistent lack of empathy is just grinding to watch.
ahh you liberal Dem, talking about empathy again... ;)

The psychologists estimate that about 6% of the general population has an inability to feel empathy. which explains only a piece of this problem.

What is troubling, therefore, is how so many more than this % have adopted suppression of empathy as a partisan matter under the guise of rejecting "Political Correctness".
Typical Lax Dad

DocBarrister wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:22 am
Have a nice day.
That poll also wasn’t very scientific.

A more recent poll showed about half found the current Washington team name offensive.

https://www.washingtonian.com/2020/02/2 ... kins-name/

DocBarrister
That is a very good article. Dehumanization is central. It happens on a subconscious level in most instances. The overt examples are rare and unfortunately that’s the standard people use.
“I wish you would!”
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

More troubling political correctness.

If we need that extra push over the cliff, ya know what we do...eleven, exactly.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Nigel wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:20 pm More troubling political correctness.

Brilliant post Nigel. Mr Carlins thoughts here SHOULD be mandatory listening for every judgmental FLP toadstool on this forum. George makes more sense than any of them ever will in their lifetime. :D
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
Typical Lax Dad

cradleandshoot wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:33 pm

Brilliant post Nigel. Mr Carlins thoughts here SHOULD be mandatory listening for every judgmental FLP toadstool on this forum. George makes more sense than any of them ever will in their lifetime. :D
This was actually good satirical humor:

“I wish you would!”
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:51 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:33 pm

This was actually good satirical humor:

Yeah, but would you have voted for him for POTUS? Pat did what any good satirical comedian should be able to do... point out absurdity by being absurd. I don't think very many people in 2020 would get the point. Many people did not understand it in the 70s when Archie Bunker called black people spades. It was not an attempt to insult black people. It was a mirror used to point out the ignorance of all of the Archie Bunkers of the world. How stupid they really were.
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

OK lets say I'm silly enuff to want to see a Washington blah blah footballl game.

And lets say I show up at the stadium in a Washington Redskin Jersey.

Do I get in?
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

6ftstick wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:07 pm OK lets say I'm silly enuff to want to see a Washington blah blah footballl game.

Do I get in?

The Left is so exhaustingly dumb and mobbish. Does anyone REALLY care about this nickname nonsense? It wouldn't bother me in the least if the team wanted to change their names, nor would I demand they do so. I don't care if an inner-city high school wanted to call their team the Crackers. None of this is important.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

6ftstick wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:07 pm OK lets say I'm silly enuff to want to see a Washington blah blah footballl game.

Do I get in?
Up to the team management/owner, right?
They make the rules, not you and me.
Of course, the team may want to consider public opinion, and their player's opinions...

If it's still Dan Snyder owning the team, he might just give you a free beer on the sly...

On the other hand, at some point you might find some beers 'accidentally' spilled on you too...
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Peter Brown wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:14 pm

Do I get in?

The Left is so exhaustingly dumb and mobbish. Does anyone REALLY care about this nickname nonsense? It wouldn't bother me in the least if the team wanted to change their names, nor would I demand they do so. I don't care if an inner-city high school wanted to call their team the Crackers. None of this is important.
Why, because "real American" Crackers don't consider that nickname offensive, just like your "real American" pals don't consider Redneck offensive?

Return to “POLITICS”