Johns Hopkins 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
HopFan16

Re: Johns Hopkins 2021

Post by HopFan16 »

Finally had a chance to watch the Q&A with the staff from a few weeks ago. For those who couldn't virtually attend, I made some notes of things I thought might be of interest:

- Milliman mentions competing for championships several times, "don't think it's too distant to be competing for those in a very serious way," said making a championship in 3 years and winning one in 5 (as Petro did when he was hired) seems like a good target
- Obviously has a horse in the race but he thought Koesterer was the best D coordinator in the country
- Uses the word "simple" more than any other word, will be a large emphasis on getting players to play without hesitation or overthinking
- After watching film from this year, Koesterer's three things will be addressed: on-ball play, sliding decisions, and staying out of the penalty box
- They acknowledge the roster size is too big, doesn't give a concrete number but unlikely there will be 60 players on the roster, doesn't anticipate adding too many new guys to the 2021 class
- Navy is on the schedule but there will be some changes to other games
- Work ethic and being a great teammate are two most important qualities in recruits, doesn't matter how talented a kid is if he doesn't possess those two things
- JGJR: "there will be a different product on the field," offense will be based on ball movement and designed to get high-percentage looks in front of the goal. "The days of alley dodge, shooting, and then back pedaling 15 feet into the band is not going to work."— offense will be fast, fun to watch and expects the band to be playing a lot. He and Milliman are philosophically aligned on strategy
- Annino has connections at Chaminade and on Long Island. Staff had glowing things to say about him
- Koesterer is excited to coach the new faceoff rules
- School is committed to continuing the relationship with ESPN
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

not bad wombat. i agree with a lot of it.
qk is prickly, and that's not a 50 something thing for him. he took it to homewood. imo.
also standoffish, same as above.
those attributes may come from place that makes him want to prove himself as worthy, and /or pick your adjective here.
and maybe didn't make him feel incredibly "homerish" anyway after his 4 years.

he has established a v good career and to me is much better on sidelines and wrestling contests. kudos. much too sophomoric and obvious for me as a broadcaster for lax (vs a dixon or cottle).

my own thought is he's been pretty on the mark on the jays over the years on color broadcasts anyway. the fact is they haven't been a team that's been in the mix for a while and critiques are measured against that. i don't have the recall, but i doubt when they were ranked #1 or undefeated late year he was chopping them at the knees.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

Lot of action here this afternoon. Guess rain will do that.

1. Agree with most of Wombat's dissertation re QK. But I still think there's some underlying resentment there towards the institution. And I do think he's a little too much of a fan of SU (like a lot of the ESPN crew). That said, I probably wouldn't have started this topic (again) if he'd just said something like - "They weren't a good team last year and I don't know how good they're going to be next year. But I expect them to be better. How much better I don't know." I think that's a more reasonable take. His take just struck me as unnecessarily harsh, especially given how much he claims to like the new staff.

2. Hop is not going D3.

3. 16's notes are encouraging. Thanks for doing them. I think this staff will materially improve the watchability of the team. Wins will come in time, but I very much expect a more fun team on the field next time they actually play. And of course in comparison to watching the Bataan Death March that we've been watching for a couple of years it will seem like even more of a contrast.

4. Curious to see how the new f/o rules work in practice. The Irelans of the world have been saying that it won't eliminate the dominant FOGOs, but I tend to think it will, at least to a degree. I think it's going to make it harder for them to win draws cleanly and bring wing play (Fernandez) back into the game a little more. I get the sense that's what the committee was trying to do, even if they didn't say it. And who knows how it actually works out. But I'd guess the days of the FOGO with a 78% win rate (and also the teams with the 35% win rate) are over. I hope it brings everything more toward 50%.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

One person who I greatly miss in broadcasting: Larry Quinn.

Dixie - if you are out there reading this, you need to at least weave some interviews from him into your weekly broadcasts.

Talk about a camel with his nose under the tent, or a fly on the wall.

Mr. Quinn, Esq., mark my words, will have some great and funny stories.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

TurtleSoup
TurtleSoup
DD8995A7-2AEB-436C-80E0-2C97E85CCC94.jpeg (65.12 KiB) Viewed 2604 times

Turtle soup, anyone? Limited supply.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Sounds Spicy, I love it.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Gobigred

Post by Gobigred »

nyjay wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:46 pm 4. Curious to see how the new f/o rules work in practice. The Irelans of the world have been saying that it won't eliminate the dominant FOGOs, but I tend to think it will, at least to a degree. I think it's going to make it harder for them to win draws cleanly and bring wing play (Fernandez) back into the game a little more. I get the sense that's what the committee was trying to do, even if they didn't say it. And who knows how it actually works out. But I'd guess the days of the FOGO with a 78% win rate (and also the teams with the 35% win rate) are over. I hope it brings everything more toward 50%.
Agree completely. I'd like to see the ball loose on the ground with everyone scrambling to pick it up, not clamped under a stick with someone pumping his stick like a toilet plunger.
BlueJaySince1947

Post by BlueJaySince1947 »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:25 pm One person who I greatly miss in broadcasting: Larry Quinn.

Dixie - if you are out there reading this, you need to at least weave some interviews from him into your weekly broadcasts.

Talk about a camel with his nose under the tent, or a fly on the wall.

Mr. Quinn, Esq., mark my words, will have some great and funny stories.
Larry Quinn was the best...A+
Q the K...D-.
That's about it !
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

I’ve always said Quints problem is he feels like he should be mentioned with the all time great goalies. While his 4X AA honors jumps off the page he’s not even considered top 5 at Hopkins by most fans and it’s clear he resents it.
DocBarrister

Quint Kessenich

Post by DocBarrister »

flalax22 wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:05 pm I’ve always said Quints problem is he feels like he should be mentioned with the all time great goalies. While his 4X AA honors jumps off the page he’s not even considered top 5 at Hopkins by most fans and it’s clear he resents it.
Quint K is indeed one of the greatest goalies of all time. He came in as a top prospect and more than lived up to his hype. Two-time Ensign Kelly award winner and 4x All-American, with a national championship and two title games under his belt. He was certainly a better Hopkins goalie than any who have followed him ... that’s three decades and counting. The guy should be in the National Lacrosse Hall of Fame and is way overdue for the honor in my opinion.

Thing is, if Coach Pietramala had ever managed to recruit and train a goalie as good as Quint, he would probably have at least one or two more national titles under his belt (and maybe his job).

As a broadcaster, I agree with much of what Wombat has to say. Being from Hopkins is tougher than being from other schools when it comes to accusations of “homerism”. You can be a homer for Syracuse, Virginia, or Duke without catching much flak. But Hopkins? It’s like football homerism ... it’s fine if you’re a homer for Alabama, Michigan, or Georgia, but Notre Dame?

Bottom line is, not only was Quint K one of the greatest lacrosse goalies of all time, he is also the top lacrosse broadcaster there is. I don’t like it when he seemingly stops paying attention to a game. But he is easily the most charasmatic and engaging color commentator in lacrosse. There’s a reason why Quint has broadcast every national title game for the past couple of decades.

People are entitled to their opinions about Quint, but the guy has risen to the top both as an athlete and a broadcaster. He deserves his criticism, but also his due.

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

flalax22 wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:05 pm I’ve always said Quints problem is he feels like he should be mentioned with the all time great goalies. While his 4X AA honors jumps off the page he’s not even considered top 5 at Hopkins by most fans and it’s clear he resents it.
Five? Maybe some are before my time, but of those I have seen, Larry Quinn and Piggy stand atop. But after that, while Jesse Schwartzman stood tall two Memorial Day weekends, Quint would be my pick every weekend based on the total body of work.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Just listened to the podcast being referenced. Terry Foy asked him what his thoughts were of Hop's eventful offseason and Quint's only real response was "they're not a top 20 team." He had an opportunity to say something of substance and offer some insight on what is a huge lacrosse story but he elected to basically wave it away and say the team is not top 20 material. I disagree with that assessment, but, again, the issue to me is not his opinion of the talent on the team, to which he is entitled, but rather the way in which he speaks about them. There is an undercurrent of bitterness that is so clear to me but maybe I'm just reading into it too much. It's a shame because I otherwise think he's an underrated broadcaster.

The question was not really about his thoughts of the roster moving forward but he absolutely leapt at the chance to drag the program. He even says Fernandez "will not even be a blip on the radar," a view his colleagues at Inside Lacrosse probably don't share given that he was their #1 ranked underclass transfer. Of course Foy does not offer any kind of rejoinder. You don't have to believe the kid is an all-world LSM to think he's a solid player who will have some impact but Quint went out of his way to claim he won't matter at all. He made no such claim about any of the other dozens of transfers to/from top programs, many of whom no doubt will have little to no impact at their new destinations. If you don't think one of Syracuse's top two LSMs—who is widely regarded as strong off the ground, on the faceoff wings, and in transition—will provide even the slightest "blip" on the radar for a team that has historically struggled at times in those areas, then God help you. That just doesn't compute.

I forgot to mention one other small but intriguing detail from the alumni call with coaches: Milliman said that there has been some talk of the conference tournament moving to include all six teams—likely won't happen in 2021 but could at some point in the future. Not really sure what to think of that—are the B1G people getting tired of waiting on Michigan to become a bigger factor in conference play?
BlueJaySince1947

Post by BlueJaySince1947 »

" Bitter " sums up Q the K's attitude about the Jays. It would seem that someone or something put a big burr under his saddle at some time in the past.
A great goalie but no Larry Quinn !
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

HopFan16 wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:30 pm Just listened to the podcast being referenced. Terry Foy asked him what his thoughts were of Hop's eventful offseason and Quint's only real response was "they're not a top 20 team." He had an opportunity to say something of substance and offer some insight on what is a huge lacrosse story but he elected to basically wave it away and say the team is not top 20 material. I disagree with that assessment, but, again, the issue to me is not his opinion of the talent on the team, to which he is entitled, but rather the way in which he speaks about them. There is an undercurrent of bitterness that is so clear to me but maybe I'm just reading into it too much. It's a shame because I otherwise think he's an underrated broadcaster.

The question was not really about his thoughts of the roster moving forward but he absolutely leapt at the chance to drag the program. He even says Fernandez "will not even be a blip on the radar," a view his colleagues at Inside Lacrosse probably don't share given that he was their #1 ranked underclass transfer. Of course Foy does not offer any kind of rejoinder. You don't have to believe the kid is an all-world LSM to think he's a solid player who will have some impact but Quint went out of his way to claim he won't matter at all. He made no such claim about any of the other dozens of transfers to/from top programs, many of whom no doubt will have little to no impact at their new destinations. If you don't think one of Syracuse's top two LSMs—who is widely regarded as strong off the ground, on the faceoff wings, and in transition—will provide even the slightest "blip" on the radar for a team that has historically struggled at times in those areas, then God help you. That just doesn't compute.

I forgot to mention one other small but intriguing detail from the alumni call with coaches: Milliman said that there has been some talk of the conference tournament moving to include all six teams—likely won't happen in 2021 but could at some point in the future. Not really sure what to think of that—are the B1G people getting tired of waiting on Michigan to become a bigger factor in conference play?
Thanks for the reports, HF16.

Don’t know what the fuss is. Blue Jays have top ten talent and a top ten coaching staff. If they play up to their potential, they should be a solid top ten team that can reach the quarterfinals. If they outperform expectations, they are a long shot for the Final Four.

That’s where I see the 2021 team.

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

I guess I underplayed just how weird the interaction with Foy over the offseason actually was. Just struck me as consistent with his general treatment of the program. I also thought it strange that he didn't seem to know who had transferred where and would catch up on that when the dust settled. What the heck was that? It's not like there's been a lot of lacrosse news to keep up on for a professional lacrosse announcer.

Thought he was an exceptional goalie. I didn't see LQ and the others, but he's the best I've ever seen at Hop, especially over a multiple year period. I also like him as an announcer. Liked him better with McEnaneny (sp?) than with the current crew. McEneney seemed to provide the gravitas, such as it is. QK doesn't bother me on any game other than Jays games. And even on those, he's mostly pretty good. There will just be two or three moments a game where he seems to swipe at the program/institution, frequently in a very passive aggressive manner. If he's trying to prove he's not a homer, which might be the case, he does it like a malfunctioning droid.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

nyjay wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:23 pm I guess I underplayed just how weird the interaction with Foy over the offseason actually was. Just struck me as consistent with his general treatment of the program. I also thought it strange that he didn't seem to know who had transferred where and would catch up on that when the dust settled. What the heck was that? It's not like there's been a lot of lacrosse news to keep up on for a professional lacrosse announcer.

Thought he was an exceptional goalie. I didn't see LQ and the others, but he's the best I've ever seen at Hop, especially over a multiple year period. I also like him as an announcer. Liked him better with McEnaneny (sp?) than with the current crew. McEneney seemed to provide the gravitas, such as it is. QK doesn't bother me on any game other than Jays games. And even on those, he's mostly pretty good. There will just be two or three moments a game where he seems to swipe at the program/institution, frequently in a very passive aggressive manner. If he's trying to prove he's not a homer, which might be the case, he does it like a malfunctioning droid.
Yep.

Then there was the “incident” about 13 or 14 years ago when he was broadcasting a women’s lacrosse game with a female announcer.

At one point, Quint slipped and used the word “breast” instead of “best”. Probably would not have been that noticeable, but both Quint and his female colleague suddenly stopped talking for several awkward seconds.

Of course, that was the era when ESPN shamelessly showed Hopkins women’s lacrosse players stretching for about a full minute (maybe even two). I remember watching the entire shameful segment and thinkin’, “This ain’t right.”

DocBarrister ;)
@DocBarrister
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

But were they were dirty sweatpants, Doc? And talking only to each other? Those are the questions we need answers to.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

nyjay wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:54 pm But were they were dirty sweatpants, Doc? And talking only to each other? Those are the questions we need answers to.
Indeed.

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

The more we talk about lacrosse, and less we talk about QK, the better.

I’m serious that the storyteller shouldn’t be the story.

Here’s a Wombat tip if you really miss sports:

I’m following the Parramatta Eels in Australia’s National Rugby League. They’re at the top of the ladder, 7-1, and they play on FS2 about 1.5 hours from now. (2 AM Eastern, 11 PM Pacific).

Fun to watch. Become an Eels fan. Blue and Gold!

A couple of weeks ago, one of the announcers shouted “Call an ambulance!” after one of the opponents got laid out.

Reminded me of an infamous incident at Homewood when OCanada yelled “Get the carrion off the field!” right when there was a very shushed quiet at how bad off someone was. Might have been against Cornell. Probably 1970s. I’d rather hear him retell the story.

Wombat
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Two latest freshman intros

Jakson Raposo: https://twitter.com/jhumenslacrosse/sta ... 3722132481
Right-handed middie from Canada, I like his game. Good combo of speed, stick skills, and shooting ability

Patrick Deans: https://twitter.com/jhumenslacrosse/sta ... 7325429764
Big defender out of Georgia, was a fairly late commit. Don't know anything else about him

Best FOGOs in Hopkins history, choose two: https://twitter.com/jhumenslacrosse/sta ... 0384801794
Recency bias but statistically Mike Poppleton is the best JHU faceoff guy ever by a lot

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”