All things Chinese CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 69

wgdsr

Re: All things Chinese CoronaVirus

Post by wgdsr »

CU77 wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:54 pm
wgdsr wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:41 am your and others' defense of cuomo (and several other governors who did the same) is nonsensical on this issue.
the fact that people have died in nursing homes across the country is not the issue.

the fact that some governors made it an actual law (or policy, depending) that nursing homes had to take back covid patients by threat of punishment, wouldn't allow them to test them for covid, didn't utilize facilities available to the states for the purpose of overcrowding but rather stuff them in nursing homes... for MONTHS plural until the media and political spotlight was too bright on them.... is the issue.
This needs to be put in the context of overflowing hospitals and NO GUIDANCE FROM THE NATIONAL GOVERNMENT about the best practices in that situation, as well as huge shortages of PPE, huge shortages of covid testing ability, and NO NATIONAL SURGE ON PPE AND TESTING, NO NATIONAL PLAN for how to deal with hospital overflows.

This is the UNITED States of America. The states and their governors RELY ON THE NATIONAL GOVERNMENT to provide crucial guidance and help in a situation like a pandemic of a new disease. That's been the deal for the past 200 years: NATIONAL problems require the NATIONAL GOVERNMENT TO ACT AND ADVISE.
i don't disagree with this. in real time, however, what actually happened was cuomo forced facilities to take them whether they could or wanted to or not. there was lots of reporting on this. from healthcare workers, to nursing home directors. they were threatened and forced to take patients. said they would ve violating the (new) law.
he was juggling many things. but he also had 2 empty huge facilities at his disposal. there were a number of options he could've chose, and chose poorly. his eye was on what might be coming instead of who and how and why. he wouldn't even let suspected patients be tested.
https://www.wgrz.com/article/news/healt ... a0947d74f1
then he DID try to blame it on guidance. still does. he had some guidance and twisted it into a mandate without protocols bc he panicked.

i don't hate cuomo. i think he's a politician. they get their own special category unless they show me otherwise.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:09 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:56 am Let's be honest, Cuomo sucks. He comes from a political royalty family (not totally different from Spitzer) and was coddled all the way into his seat by supporters of Mario. He's basically a DC insider mentally in NY who probably hasn't spent much time west of Alabany Academy other than maybe an occasional vacation of ribbon cutting around the Finger or Thousand Lakes.

But continuously bringing him up to deflect all the gross stuff and moronic actions or inactivity of certain other folks is just nonsense.
I was on a conference call with his father the day after he lost to Pataki. I met him once before that when we were looking to do something with the NYHA. Some development project in NYC. The only thing I remember about the meeting is riding in a limo with Cuomo and the guy that was running the NYHA program was leaving to go work in private equity. He later showed us a high yield deal that we took to DLJMB. It was not quite large enough. I believe $100MM was the size needed to make sense back then. I remember thinking these government guys have good networks that can be leveraged. The state Treasurers have platinum Rolodexes.
Aren't you in RI? I have partied with a guy named Frank Caprio a number of times who was once state treasurer of RI. He's close to a good friend who was a founder, now left and moved to Dallas and does a few deals with his own money, Frank lost office and is nominally employed by my friend's old mezzanine debt fund now. Could tell you some funny, funny stories about that guy. They also have two rich chinese kids as analysts. That's how the PE/HF world rolls.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

wgdsr wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:15 pm
wgdsr wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:41 am your and others' defense of cuomo (and several other governors who did the same) is nonsensical on this issue.
the fact that people have died in nursing homes across the country is not the issue.

the fact that some governors made it an actual law (or policy, depending) that nursing homes had to take back covid patients by threat of punishment, wouldn't allow them to test them for covid, didn't utilize facilities available to the states for the purpose of overcrowding but rather stuff them in nursing homes... for MONTHS plural until the media and political spotlight was too bright on them.... is the issue.
This needs to be put in the context of overflowing hospitals and NO GUIDANCE FROM THE NATIONAL GOVERNMENT about the best practices in that situation, as well as huge shortages of PPE, huge shortages of covid testing ability, and NO NATIONAL SURGE ON PPE AND TESTING, NO NATIONAL PLAN for how to deal with hospital overflows.

This is the UNITED States of America. The states and their governors RELY ON THE NATIONAL GOVERNMENT to provide crucial guidance and help in a situation like a pandemic of a new disease. That's been the deal for the past 200 years: NATIONAL problems require the NATIONAL GOVERNMENT TO ACT AND ADVISE.
i don't disagree with this. in real time, however, what actually happened was cuomo forced facilities to take them whether they could or wanted to or not. there was lots of reporting on this. from healthcare workers, to nursing home directors. they were threatened and forced to take patients. said they would ve violating the (new) law.
he was juggling many things. but he also had 2 empty huge facilities at his disposal. there were a number of options he could've chose, and chose poorly. his eye was on what might be coming instead of who and how and why. he wouldn't even let suspected patients be tested.
then he DID try to blame it on guidance. still does. he had some guidance and twisted it into a mandate without protocols bc he panicked.

i don't hate cuomo. i think he's a politician. they get their own special category unless they show me otherwise.
Actually I read where some nursing homes wanted the money. In hindsight it was a bad decision and the extent of it has yet to be determined. My guess is the deaths may regress to the mean. Not sure it will be statistically worse than other nursing homes that got infected early. I would hope others learned from NYS.
“I wish you would!”
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Chilling next to Judas while being chewed up by a three headed monster?
Typical Lax Dad

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:21 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:56 am Let's be honest, Cuomo sucks. He comes from a political royalty family (not totally different from Spitzer) and was coddled all the way into his seat by supporters of Mario. He's basically a DC insider mentally in NY who probably hasn't spent much time west of Alabany Academy other than maybe an occasional vacation of ribbon cutting around the Finger or Thousand Lakes.

But continuously bringing him up to deflect all the gross stuff and moronic actions or inactivity of certain other folks is just nonsense.
I was on a conference call with his father the day after he lost to Pataki. I met him once before that when we were looking to do something with the NYHA. Some development project in NYC. The only thing I remember about the meeting is riding in a limo with Cuomo and the guy that was running the NYHA program was leaving to go work in private equity. He later showed us a high yield deal that we took to DLJMB. It was not quite large enough. I believe $100MM was the size needed to make sense back then. I remember thinking these government guys have good networks that can be leveraged. The state Treasurers have platinum Rolodexes.
Aren't you in RI? I have partied with a guy named Frank Caprio a number of times who was once state treasurer of RI. He's close to a good friend who was a founder, now left and moved to Dallas and does a few deals with his own money, Frank lost office and is nominally employed by my friend's old mezzanine debt fund now. Could tell you some funny, funny stories about that guy. They also have two rich chinese kids as analysts. That's how the PE/HF world rolls.
No. CT. I was a junior guy back then. I looked up the guy from NYC Housing Authority...it was the NYC Economic Development Corp. He is still in Private Equity. He and an another NYC Authority guy are principals.
Last edited by Typical Lax Dad on Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“I wish you would!”
tech37

Post by tech37 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:21 pm

Last edited by tech37 on Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Think you did mention that my bad. This guy is great though, another political family. Attacked Obama as a dem because he backed LIncoln Chafee at some point. Has some CV pedigree but not a finance guy at all in reality.

http://www.chathamcapital.com/frank.html
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:24 pm

Chilling next to Judas while being chewed up by a three headed monster?
something like that?
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Scientists who signed the letter said that the new guidelines did not go far enough in heeding the evidence of airborne spread.

“WHO’s slow motion on this issue is unfortunately slowing the control of the pandemic,” said Jose Jimenez, a University of Colorado chemist. He said that much of the public is already ahead of the WHO when it comes to masks.

“Masks should be worn in indoor settings, away from home, at all times, no matter the distance,” Jimenez said. “Aerosols are most effective in transmission at short distances, but they can mix widely within a room and lead to infection, as many super-spreading cases have shown already.”

At the heart of the scientific debate is the size of the particles that people exhale and whether those particles quickly fall to a surface or hover in the air. The droplets that humans expel when they cough, sneeze or breathe vary widely and can break into smaller pieces in the air.

Skeptics of airborne transmission say particles larger than 5 microns are too heavy to travel more than six feet.

But Jimenez said that was shown to be incorrect by studies conducted as early as 1934. He said a 50-micron particle might stay in the air for 20 seconds, a 5-micron particle for 15 minutes and a 1-micron particle for hours.

“It is shocking to see a major international organization continue to propagate this error,” he said.

Donald Milton, a University of Maryland aerosol expert, said “peer-reviewed scientific publications clearly demonstrate that particles even as large as 30 microns can move on air currents and travel more than 10 meters indoors.”

He and other researchers said the basic concept has been well established and that debating the finer points had wasted valuable time as the coronavirus spread.
https://www.latimes.com/world-nation/st ... ganization
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

CU77 wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:17 pm
Scientists who signed the letter said that the new guidelines did not go far enough in heeding the evidence of airborne spread.

“WHO’s slow motion on this issue is unfortunately slowing the control of the pandemic,” said Jose Jimenez, a University of Colorado chemist. He said that much of the public is already ahead of the WHO when it comes to masks.

“Masks should be worn in indoor settings, away from home, at all times, no matter the distance,” Jimenez said. “Aerosols are most effective in transmission at short distances, but they can mix widely within a room and lead to infection, as many super-spreading cases have shown already.”

At the heart of the scientific debate is the size of the particles that people exhale and whether those particles quickly fall to a surface or hover in the air. The droplets that humans expel when they cough, sneeze or breathe vary widely and can break into smaller pieces in the air.

Skeptics of airborne transmission say particles larger than 5 microns are too heavy to travel more than six feet.

But Jimenez said that was shown to be incorrect by studies conducted as early as 1934. He said a 50-micron particle might stay in the air for 20 seconds, a 5-micron particle for 15 minutes and a 1-micron particle for hours.

“It is shocking to see a major international organization continue to propagate this error,” he said.

Donald Milton, a University of Maryland aerosol expert, said “peer-reviewed scientific publications clearly demonstrate that particles even as large as 30 microns can move on air currents and travel more than 10 meters indoors.”

He and other researchers said the basic concept has been well established and that debating the finer points had wasted valuable time as the coronavirus spread.
https://www.latimes.com/world-nation/st ... ganization
I suggest again the misinformation mismanagement by researchers, Physician groups, government Health organizations, state and local health providers and especially the MSM is meant to KEEP US ALL GUESSING ON UNSURE FOOTING AND EASY TO BE MANIPULATED.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

i don't surprise easily in 2020, but i am utterly shocked american (or is it ameriCAN?) producers, large and small, aren't kicking out medical masks like there's no tomorrow for the public, and marketing them like crazy.
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

wgdsr wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:30 pm i don't surprise easily in 2020, but i am utterly shocked american (or is it ameriCAN?) producers, large and small, aren't kicking out medical masks like there's no tomorrow for the public, and marketing them like crazy.
I'm surprised hospitals are going to get caught again UNPREPARED AND UNDERSTOCKED
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:30 pm i don't surprise easily in 2020, but i am utterly shocked american (or is it ameriCAN?) producers, large and small, aren't kicking out medical masks like there's no tomorrow for the public, and marketing them like crazy.
It’s a high tech process in many ways. Not just anyone can produce a real N95 mask. I remember when the fiber optic cable supply was a hard market. I know guys that were in touch with the WH during the early stages of the pandemic. Explaining how the process works. They have added in a line that will significant volume for Honeywell.
Last edited by Typical Lax Dad on Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“I wish you would!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:39 pm
It’s a high tech process in many ways. Not just anyone can produce a real N95 mask.
that may be the case. however...
- we put a man on the moon in the 60s
- 3m i believe does most of their manuf for them in china or the far east? and they have u.s. production facilities?
- i am talking about disposable medical masks primarily. which china is making maybe in sweatshops with sewing machines. and long standing and recent research has them being effective, and in and out of the healthcare environment just as effective in many cases. at least according to the WHO. our "non-medical" masks and bandanas? not so much.
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:46 pm
It’s a high tech process in many ways. Not just anyone can produce a real N95 mask.
that may be the case. however...
- we put a man on the moon in the 60s
- 3m i believe does most of their manuf for them in china or the far east? and they have u.s. production facilities?
- i am talking about disposable medical masks primarily. which china is making maybe in sweatshops with sewing machines. and long standing and recent research has them being effective, and in and out of the healthcare environment just as effective. at least according to the WHO. our "non-medical" masks and bandanas? not so much.
See above. It’s not know how. It’s adding capacity. We have had administrations kick the can down the road. There are plenty of people making and selling face coverings. I buy KN95 5 ply melt blown masks. 3M buys the material to make the masks. We are adding capacity here. The guys I know may have a machine up and running in December. They started on it in April.
“I wish you would!”
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

It’s a high tech process in many ways. Not just anyone can produce a real N95 mask. I remember when the fiber optic cable supply was a hard market. I know guys that were in touch with the WH during the early stages of the pandemic. Explaining how the process works. They have added in a line that will significant volume for Honeywell.
My wife has to wear an N95 mask for 8 hours everyday. She has to use the same mask all week. Her facility is short on everything they need. Masks, gowns, face shields, booties, head bonnets, disinfecting wipes. There is just not enough PPE in the supply chain. You can buy all this stuff on line. For some reason, normal purchasing channels can't meet the demands. It you want to shell out your own money.... no problemo.
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
Typical Lax Dad

cradleandshoot wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:54 pm
My wife has to wear an N95 mask for 8 hours everyday. She has to use the same mask all week. Her facility is short on everything they need. Masks, gowns, face shields, booties, head bonnets, disinfecting wipes. There is just not enough PPE in the supply chain. You can buy all this stuff on line. For some reason, normal purchasing channels can't meet the demands. It you want to shell out your own money.... no problemo.
The Department of Defense has been going around the country finding suppliers to add capacity.....three companies have been awarded contracts.
“I wish you would!”
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Remdesevir....
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
ggait

Post by ggait »

Peter Brown wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:26 pm Cases have been rising for more than 2 weeks while deaths continue to decrease. Narrative fail.

Democrats upset people aren’t dying (I don’t have a graph for this).
Man. Ruth Langmore is soooooo right about Peter Brown. He just doesn't know shirt about fork.

"Hey -- don't sweat all those new cases. Because deaths are just going to keep going down down down. Stupid Democrats!"

What's amazing to me, though, is that he keeps coming back here time and again. Even though we all can so easily show this entire board just how constantly wrong and stupid he is.

Pro tip to Peter -- you'd do a lot better on Snapchat than on here. Since Snapchat would automatically delete your dumb assery rather than archive it.

How's that Democrat wife of yours doing, by the way?
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.

Return to “POLITICS”