Johns Hopkins 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
jhu06

Re: Johns Hopkins 2021

Post by jhu06 »

viper wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:38 am
HopFan16 wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:46 pm The womens lax team paraded around in sweats, don't resemble the student body the admin is determined to create, showed up at the wa (a wonderful legendary place)/mens lax houses on the weekends......
Now you are making me "misty eyed". The "wa" has become lore, now that the original site has been replaced by Hopkins "renewal". Long past are the days of the once famed "fencing frat" with summer barbecues on top of the building entrance cover (not meant as a deck). :cry: :cry:
;

Reminded me of when they took down the terrace towers in the wire. Fortresses of sin. "Renewal" basically means administrator terrorism against fun by Hopkins students.
https://failedarchitecture.com/memories ... -3-opener/

I like the idea that administrators think that kids are coming back to sit in their rooms and just read books and watch professors over skype. You look at the majors of the kids who play for our rivals and you ask yourself how many hours does a terp/tiger need to study sports leisure a week. America isn't BYU.

If you look at the ad's bio, and by the way it was nice she paid her navy classmate's search firm to find her a coach from her previous employer-something she left out in the search press release, all she basically does is organize leadership seminars w/power points for student athletes.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

jhu06 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:43 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:46 pm The womens lax team paraded around in sweats, don't resemble the student body the admin is determined to create, showed up at the wa (a wonderful legendary place)/mens lax houses on the weekends......
Now you are making me "misty eyed". The "wa" has become lore, now that the original site has been replaced by Hopkins "renewal". Long past are the days of the once famed "fencing frat" with summer barbecues on top of the building entrance cover (not meant as a deck). :cry: :cry:
;

Reminded me of when they took down the terrace towers in the wire. Fortresses of sin. "Renewal" basically means administrator terrorism against fun by Hopkins students.

I like the idea that administrators think that kids are coming back to sit in their rooms and just read books and watch professors over skype. You look at the majors of the kids who play for our rivals and you ask yourself how many hours does a terp/tiger need to study sports leisure a week. America isn't BYU.

If you look at the ad's bio, and by the way it was nice she paid her navy classmate's search firm to find her a coach from her previous employer-something she left out in the search press release, all she basically does is organize leadership seminars w/power points for student athletes.
Wow, hadn’t heard that detail. Sounds like a Navy reacharound.
DougELax

Post by DougELax »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:52 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:46 pm
Search firm is probably a waste of $$$, but admin uses it as cover if decision doesn't pan out. Hopefully a moot point, Go Coach M.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

;

I thought that was Air Force?
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
MusaCyanocitta

Post by MusaCyanocitta »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:46 pm

Sometimes search firms are used as acceptable intermediaries. They can make unofficial contacts that official employees cannot.

At least that's the excuse for spending the $$.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

I was speaking to a professor here in Atlanta, father of my daughters friend, who has a friend that’s an non tenured professor at Hobart which had a huge fiasco with a hire who left under strange circumstances and a bit of a coup by local influences who didn’t like his big university style and he had some flaws as well. This guy tells me it was well known that the search firm, called Witt/Kieffer, has a bad rep in educational circles and was basically a bad engagement by our board so there are times when it can also blow up on your face to outsource such responsibilities. Particularly on the due diligence side.

https://www2.hws.edu/dr-gregory-j-vince ... president/

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/201 ... mous-email

https://www.jbhe.com/2018/04/gregory-vi ... -colleges/
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

MusaCyanocitta wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:14 pm

Sometimes search firms are used as acceptable intermediaries. They can make unofficial contacts that official employees cannot.

"George O'Leary"
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

jhu06 wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:15 am

"George O'Leary"
Yep. Got to do the basic due diligence for a major hire.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

Anyone else listen to QK's comments on the iL podcast? Seems his complicated relationship with the program continues. Not particularly bullish on the team for next year.

- "they're a non-top 20 team until they show me otherwise"
- Fernandez doesn't make much difference
- Likes the new staff and the freshmen class
- But not enough defensive or midfield talent

He's not exactly wrong, but seems unnecessarily negative. I guess he doesn't buy that the old staff was a problem or expect to see a bump from the coaching change. Maybe I'm overly optimistic, but with the Ivies tailing off due to talent loss, I really see them in the 10-12 range.

He has Duke (Agreed) and SU (Really? I don't see it, but I don't want to see it either.) in the top tier by themselves for next year. Then mentions UVa and UNC, but not UMD.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

jhu06 wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:15 am

"George O'Leary"
I still defend O’Leary. His indiscretion of lying is wrong but at some point the body of work should’ve allowed him to be on double secret probation at ND. I’m positive both Ga Tech and ND would’ve had more success with him and without having UF, USC, FL St, OSU type scandalous permissiveness of criminal and degenerate behavior.
BlueJaySince1947

Post by BlueJaySince1947 »

nyjay wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:15 am Anyone else listen to QK's comments on the iL podcast? Seems his complicated relationship with the program continues. Not particularly bullish on the team for next year.

He's not exactly wrong, but seems unnecessarily negative. I guess he doesn't buy that the old staff was a problem or expect to see a bump from the coaching change. Maybe I'm overly optimistic, but with the Ivies tailing off due to talent loss, I really see them in the 10-12 range.

He has Duke (Agreed) and SU (Really? I don't see it, but I don't want to see it either.) in the top tier by themselves for next year. Then mentions UVa and UNC, but not UMD.

I've never understood how Q the K became elevated to the status of Know All lacrosse guru...???
He's no fan of Blue Jay lacrosse.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

nyjay wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:15 am Anyone else listen to QK's comments on the iL podcast? Seems his complicated relationship with the program continues. Not particularly bullish on the team for next year.

I’ll disagree with QK. I believe there is enough talent on the midfield and defensive depth chart to compete at a high level.

I believe and will until proven otherwise that Benson and Petro hurt this squad with extreme loyalty to players who didn’t necessarily deserve it. Does anyone here think DeSimone gets an unlimited leash next year like he’s had for the past three seasons?
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Pretty clear at this point QK is going to complain no matter what is going on at his alma mater, not unlike a few posters here. He likes the new staff and the freshmen class but wouldn’t rank the team in the top 20? That doesn’t track. The team was not good last year—that much is inarguable—but they’re probably a top 20 team with a healthy and fully functional Joey Epstein, even before you factor in the transfers at key positions, the new staff, and the incoming class. I think the lax pundits have slightly underrated the effect of losing your best player and the engine to your entire offense and then him operating at like 40% for the remainder of the year. Quint might be right about the midfield but there is plenty of defensive talent and I suspect that will be evident over the next year or two. The guy is bitter about something—I thought maybe Petro stole his girl back in the late 80s or something but now that he’s gone and QK is still going out of his way to lower expectations for his alma mater, it makes me think the animosity runs deeper than that. It’s not just believing we’re not a top 20 team, but it’s the way he talks about the program, and has talked about it for quite some time, that to my ears at least it sounds as though it drips of resentment.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

if they actually play, the acc will be loaded next year.
the b1g may be also. certainly umd and probably penn state and maybe osu.
outside of cornell and maybe yale, (maybe penn? are they allowing another year?) the ivies may not be nearly as deep as they would've been in 2020, but who knows? brown? p'ton won't have their triggerman but had a lot of talent.
then there's denver, gtown, possibly villanova, i'd guess army and loyola will be good...
just a bunch of good teams and probably some really good ones. and then a bunch of teams (lehigh? hobart? rutgers? umich? richmond? delaware?) that like hopkins have aspirations of being in or around the group above.

hopkins was 2 and 4 and that matters as far as a yardstick. their schedule wasn't going to lighten up much. they have a couple transfers and freshmen. coaching can and may be a boost, new energy is always a possibility just from change. but the players still play, and 2021 is likely to be the most loaded year for teams and players maybe ever. tough to break into that. their final schedule might even play a role in their getting to the dance... if no uva, (2 acc's only?), p'ton maybe down, depending on how everything breaks.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

And that 2-4 could've easily been 1-5 it MSM hadn’t choked.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

HopFan16 wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:07 pm Pretty clear at this point QK is going to complain no matter what is going on at his alma mater, not unlike a few posters here. He likes the new staff and the freshmen class but wouldn’t rank the team in the top 20? That doesn’t track. The team was not good last year—that much is inarguable—but they’re probably a top 20 team with a healthy and fully functional Joey Epstein, even before you factor in the transfers at key positions, the new staff, and the incoming class. I think the lax pundits have slightly underrated the effect of losing your best player and the engine to your entire offense and then him operating at like 40% for the remainder of the year. Quint might be right about the midfield but there is plenty of defensive talent and I suspect that will be evident over the next year or two. The guy is bitter about something—I thought maybe Petro stole his girl back in the late 80s or something but now that he’s gone and QK is still going out of his way to lower expectations for his alma mater, it makes me think the animosity runs deeper than that. It’s not just believing we’re not a top 20 team, but it’s the way he talks about the program, and has talked about it for quite some time, that to my ears at least it sounds as though it drips of resentment.
Agree that Epstein return to full health will significantly impact that O . Goaltending n D wont be a steel curtain but can only be better than last. Project JHU to slot 12-15 at season start (hopefully) and for their incoming class to contribute as season progresses
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

HopFan16 wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:07 pm Pretty clear at this point QK is going to complain no matter what is going on at his alma mater, not unlike a few posters here. He likes the new staff and the freshmen class but wouldn’t rank the team in the top 20? That doesn’t track. The team was not good last year—that much is inarguable—but they’re probably a top 20 team with a healthy and fully functional Joey Epstein, even before you factor in the transfers at key positions, the new staff, and the incoming class. I think the lax pundits have slightly underrated the effect of losing your best player and the engine to your entire offense and then him operating at like 40% for the remainder of the year. Quint might be right about the midfield but there is plenty of defensive talent and I suspect that will be evident over the next year or two. The guy is bitter about something—I thought maybe Petro stole his girl back in the late 80s or something but now that he’s gone and QK is still going out of his way to lower expectations for his alma mater, it makes me think the animosity runs deeper than that. It’s not just believing we’re not a top 20 team, but it’s the way he talks about the program, and has talked about it for quite some time, that to my ears at least it sounds as though it drips of resentment.
Agree that Epstein return to full health will significantly impact that O . Goaltending n D wont be a steel curtain but can only be better than last. Project JHU to slot 12-15 at season start (hopefully) and for their incoming class to contribute as season progresses
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

wgdsr wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:12 pm

outside of cornell and maybe yale, (maybe penn? are they allowing another year?) the ivies may not be nearly as deep as they would've been in 2020, but who knows? brown? p'ton won't have their triggerman but had a lot of talent.
then there's denver, gtown, possibly villanova, i'd guess army and loyola will be good...
just a bunch of good teams and probably some really good ones. and then a bunch of teams (lehigh? hobart? rutgers? umich? richmond? delaware?) that like hopkins have aspirations of being in or around the group above.

hopkins was 2 and 4 and that matters as far as a yardstick. their schedule wasn't going to lighten up much. they have a couple transfers and freshmen. coaching can and may be a boost, new energy is always a possibility just from change. but the players still play, and 2021 is likely to be the most loaded year for teams and players maybe ever. tough to break into that. their final schedule might even play a role in their getting to the dance... if no uva, (2 acc's only?), p'ton maybe down, depending on how everything breaks.
I have no idea about Hop’s athletic budget but would assume they are struggling like many bigger schools with deeper resources. Are there likely to be any ongoing discussions to move down to D3 with their other sports. They would be a juggernaut in D3.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Here are several aspects, in my view, of QK. Mostly in his defense, which surprises me that I’m going to do this, because I know there’s some broken furniture from the Blackstone still rotting in a landfill from the beating that they received:

1) When he got into the broadcasting business (IIRC, WMAR-TV local coverage with Scott Garceau, whose feed was eventually routinely picked up by ESPN), he had to deal with being called a “homer”. He made efforts to try to be balanced. And to Hopkins fans, that came across as a sharp edge.

2) Coach Pietramala really tried to keep a tight lid on everything. You saw that with videos. I saw it with my (now retired) clipboard. I once witnessed a QK-Coach interaction circa 2005 or 2006, in which Coach sternly told QK (while pointing) to “remember where you came from”. I’m sure a lot of what you have seen from QK over the past 15 years intensified after that.

3) He works for ESPN, and what has ESPN become? ESPN favors folks taking contrarian views to stimulate interest and people talking about the sport, and even talking about ESPN themselves. (Which is wrong. I’ll get to that in a minute.) Anyway, QK has probably ensured himself far more career longevity by taking an anti-Hopkins stance, or at least a very critical stance, than he ever would have if he had been perceived as a biased part of Homerwood with a national stage of ESPN. I would think QK’s approach is a very conscious decision, and not all based on personality conflict (#2, above), and I can’t fault him for it from the standpoint of trying to make a career. As a Hopkins fan though, he can kiss my Wombat ass.

4) Staying on the subject of ESPN: to fill up their 24 hour coverage, they’ve added so many unwatchable talking head argumentative shows. PTI was fine, by two former WaPo journalists. The others are all trash. You have to have facts, not just bloviated opinions. QK does provide some facts, and I’d argue he’s better than most of his colleagues, whom I don’t care to listen to at all.

5) QK has had to do a lot of things for ESPN, and I don’t envy anyone sent to Iowa to watch young men wrassle and grab each other’s crotches. So, in my opinion, he’s honed his journalistic chops over a variety of sports, taking him far afield from Homewood.

6) The polls. Polls are meant for one thing: to generate interest in and discussion of the sport. They are, as we said in our HS newspaper, merely a popularity contest of the week, to keep people watching. Polls are best done as a consortium: the Coaches (ala AD/SID) Poll, the collective press poll, even Fanlax. At their worst, when expressed as just a one person poll - two things happen: you don’t get a balancing of opinion and you further enhance a perception of bias. So if the one person pollster has a blind spot one week, it is a lightning rod for criticism and that sticks with people for a LONG time. I’ve always thought of QK’s polls as a flipping joke. He would be far better off trying to piece together a handful of noted people to do a weekly poll with instead of sticking his own neck out each week. I can name four people he should do a combined poll with: himself, Dixie, Starsia and (lol) Pietramala. THAT would be more interesting in my opinion.

7) Here’s the thing, and it relates to QK. Journalism is about telling facts. The five Ws and the H. Who, what, where, when, why and how. Not Op-Ed. The act of reporting is the recording of events for the record books, if you will. As I learned years ago: “We are the storytellers, NOT the story”.

Some of what QK does thrusts himself into the story. There’s a lot of this throughout media these days, blurring fact with opinion. And a lot of the media consuming public doesn’t like it.

Thus some of the blowback QK gets.

With him, I’d say the glass is over half full instead of half empty. But he has, as we all do, room for improvement.

I still prefer Dixie and Joe B over anything and anyone ESPN trots out. I find their style more watchable, educational and entertaining.

QK is definitely not helped by most of the people he’s paired with. And he’s senior enough now that he should be telling his colleagues to be less junior high juvenile and more professional.

W
Last edited by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus on Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:50 pm, edited 4 times in total.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

blue angels wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:32 pm
wgdsr wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:12 pm

I have no idea about Hop’s athletic budget but would assume they are struggling like many bigger schools with deeper resources. Are there likely to be any ongoing discussions to move down to D3 with their other sports. They would be a juggernaut in D3.
What rock did you just crawl out from under?

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”