All things Chinese CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 69

6ftstick

Re: All things Chinese CoronaVirus

Post by 6ftstick »

CU77 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:03 pm
6ftstick wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:01 pm By combining the two estimates, the estimated overall fatality rate of those infected with the virus – with and without symptoms – would be 0.26%.

Quick! Run! hide!
With a US population of 330 million, with 70% infected needed for herd immunity (another estimate), and a 0.26% fatality rate, that's 600,000 dead.

And the death rate will be MUCH HIGHER if the curve is not flat enough to avoid overwhelming hospitals.

And many survivors have ongoing health issues, potentially very serious ones.

So, yes, I am absolutely running and hiding.
And 2.8 million Americans die every year from all sorts of diseases and accidents. Its called living with risk.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

CU88 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:32 pm New cases, yesterday:

Germany: 298
Denmark: 10
Norway: 11
Sweden: 57

United States: 55,442

I would NOT send my kid to school this August, here in the US.
would you send them to school in sweden?
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

6ftstick wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:36 pm
6ftstick wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:01 pm By combining the two estimates, the estimated overall fatality rate of those infected with the virus – with and without symptoms – would be 0.26%.

Quick! Run! hide!
With a US population of 330 million, with 70% infected needed for herd immunity (another estimate), and a 0.26% fatality rate, that's 600,000 dead.

And the death rate will be MUCH HIGHER if the curve is not flat enough to avoid overwhelming hospitals.

And 2.8 million Americans die every year from all sorts of diseases and accidents. Its called living with risk.
.. why worry about controlling nukes, its called living with risk. :lol:
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

jhu72 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:40 pm

Quick! Run! hide!

Are you trying to imply no ones done anything to curb this disease

40 million unemployed, the economy crushed thousands of people allowed to die with no family around them.
Graduations weddings sports cancelled

KMA
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

Quick! Run! hide!

40 million unemployed, the economy crushed thousands of people allowed to die with no family around them.

KMA
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

jhu72 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:25 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:04 pm
youthathletics wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:23 pm
RedFromMI wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:18 pm In response to afan - actually we do know there are significant health issues even with an asymptomatic case. Lung damage can be seen, and the lungs are not the only organs that have been seen to be affected.
And this is verified by looking at before and after chest xrays of pre and post CV-19? And by post CV-19, a year later to see if there is indeed irreparable damage. Please share source.
:lol: I love the T-Shirt. Where can I get one?
I will send you a link! It’s fantastic. I may get one for my wife.
“I wish you would!”
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

6ftstick wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:49 pm

Quick! Run! hide!

KMA
Hoax:

New Cases Yesterday:

Germany: 298
Denmark: 10
Norway: 11
Sweden: 57
United States: 55,442
tech37

Post by tech37 »

seacoaster wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:00 pm
tech37 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:14 pm
seacoaster wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:05 pm
tech37 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:55 am
SCLaxAttack wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:39 am My daughter’s family recently moved to Comanche County, Oklahoma and received their public school information packet for their kindergarten and second grade boys. It included their current plan for dealing with COVID. Temperature checks twice daily. No attendance if a child has so much as a sniffle. No social distancing, i.e. a reduction in class size, is expected, but group interaction, e.g. multi-person projects, will be limited. Lunch will be in classrooms rather than the cafeteria. Outdoor time will be done by classroom rather than by grade or larger group.

The school calendar has four days of at school class time and one day of online class time each week. This is to allow one day of deep cleaning (in addition to new daily cleaning protocols) and to keep students and teachers comfortable with online classes in the event they have to further restrict at school learning. No after school programs. No mention of sports and extracurricular activities, I assume because these were kindergarten and second grade info-paks. No change to school transportation, although the school district highly encourages parents to drive their kids to school.

Each school’s online school day is the same across all grades. While creating different days for each grade’s online school day would create a better social distancing environment, knowing the one day when all your kids will be schooling from home makes things easier on working parents. I think this is a reasonable and thoughtful plan, and hope it can remain implemented for the entire school year.
Thanks for posting this. I'm going to share it with an administrator at my teen's high school along with seacoaster's response that NH is considering similar. Here in NY I'm expecting this may be deemed, too permissive :?
One of the problems will be the one size fits all. My guess is that schools in tech's area face different issues than NYC schools. How flexible are the states going to be within the state itself?

Here is the NH Task Force page; the surveys of the constituencies within the school issues (staff, parents, admin, etc) are kind of interesting.

https://www.education.nh.gov/who-we-are ... -taskforce
Thanks seacoaster.
Tech, more for your talk with the Superintendent:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nc ... g-tool.pdf
Merci
CU77

Post by CU77 »

6ftstick wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:49 pm Are you trying to imply no ones done anything to curb this disease

We did all that, and then threw away most of the good it did by quitting before the finish line.

Yeah, we missed lax season for NOTHING, thanks to Trump and his enabling minions, including those here.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

tech37 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:18 pm
seacoaster wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:00 pm Tech, more for your talk with the Superintendent:

Merci
No WAIT!!!
CDC will issue new guidance on school openings, Pence says, after criticism from Trump

In a tweet, President Trump described the Centers for Disease and Control and Prevention guidelines as “very impractical” and said he would meet with the agency about them.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... story.html
ChairmanOfTheBoard

Post by ChairmanOfTheBoard »

There are 29,413,039 corporations in America; but only one Chairman of the Board.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

RedFromMI wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:18 pm In response to afan - actually we do know there are significant health issues even with an asymptomatic case. Lung damage can be seen, and the lungs are not the only organs that have been seen to be affected.
And this is verified by looking at before and after chest xrays of pre and post CV-19? And by post CV-19, a year later to see if there is indeed irreparable damage. Please share source.
Careful 72, we'll be able to pick you out at Antifa parties :lol:
Last edited by tech37 on Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

CU77 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:31 pm
tech37 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:18 pm
seacoaster wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:00 pm Tech, more for your talk with the Superintendent:

Merci
No WAIT!!!
CDC will issue new guidance on school openings, Pence says, after criticism from Trump

In a tweet, President Trump described the Centers for Disease and Control and Prevention guidelines as “very impractical” and said he would meet with the agency about them.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... story.html
Okay, I'll consider this too. Might actually be an improvement ;)
ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

ChairmanOfTheBoard wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:49 pm stanford to cut 11 sports: https://www.espn.com/college-sports/sto ... king-point
This is just the beginning. The Ivy League cancels all fall sports today. Weren’t they the first to cancel lacrosse and the other spring sports earlier?

Look for smaller conferences and divisions to cancel sports due to the coronavirus that parts of the country refuse to address and because of loss of revenue that will become overwhelming to budgets. The big conferences will try to play but I suspect that team after team will end up with too many cases to continue to field a team.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

tech37 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:01 pm
Careful 72, we'll be able to pick you out at Antifa parties :lol:
I'll be sure to wear it!
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
ChairmanOfTheBoard

Post by ChairmanOfTheBoard »

ardilla secreta wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:48 pm
ChairmanOfTheBoard wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:49 pm stanford to cut 11 sports: https://www.espn.com/college-sports/sto ... king-point
This is just the beginning. The Ivy League cancels all fall sports today. Weren’t they the first to cancel lacrosse and the other spring sports earlier?

Look for smaller conferences and divisions to cancel sports due to the coronavirus that parts of the country refuse to address and because of loss of revenue that will become overwhelming to budgets. The big conferences will try to play but I suspect that team after team will end up with too many cases to continue to field a team.
wow. different things of course- but wow.
There are 29,413,039 corporations in America; but only one Chairman of the Board.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

ChairmanOfTheBoard wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:35 pm
ardilla secreta wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:48 pm

wow. different things of course- but wow.
Litigation will destroy ya...
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Knuckle heads in the Big 12 and SEC is going to be the reason nobody plays and why the economy will shutdown again in October. Trump will do his best to keep it going until election day....if he wins, stuff will be shut down shortly after. Maybe after the new year depending on how many dead bodies pile up. If we get to 500,000 by November. We will be shut down.
“I wish you would!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

i would like to take this moment to remind everyone that we know a lot less about this virus and its spread than we will eventually.

that's all.
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

Mounting evidence of small droplet aerosol spreading:
Mounting Evidence Suggests Coronavirus is Airborne—but Health Advice Has Not Caught Up

After months of denying the importance of aerosol transmission of SARS-CoV-2, the World Health Organization is reconsidering its stance​
https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... caught-up/
Converging lines of evidence indicate that SARS-CoV-2, the coronavirus responsible for the COVID-19 pandemic, can pass from person to person in tiny droplets called aerosols that waft through the air and accumulate over time. After months of debate about whether people can transmit the virus through exhaled air, there is growing concern among scientists about this transmission route.

This week, Morawska and aerosol scientist Donald Milton at the University of Maryland, College Park, supported by an international group of 237 other clinicians, infectious-disease physicians, epidemiologists, engineers and aerosol scientists, published a commentary in the journal Clinical Infectious Diseases that urges the medical community and public-health authorities to acknowledge the potential for airborne transmission. They also call for preventive measures to reduce this type of risk.
Advertisement

The researchers are frustrated that key agencies, such as the World Health Organization (WHO), haven’t been heeding their advice in their public messages.

In response to the commentary, the WHO has softened its position, saying in a press conference on July 7 that it will issue new guidelines about transmission in settings with close contact and poor ventilation. “We have to be open to this evidence and understand its implications regarding the modes of transmission, and also regarding the precautions that need to be taken,” said Benedetta Allegranzi, technical leader of the WHO task force on infection control.

Morawska is “really pleased, relieved, and amazed”, by the WHO’s statement.

For months, the WHO has steadfastly pushed back against the idea that there is a significant threat of the coronavirus being transmitted by aerosols that can accumulate in poorly ventilated venues and be carried on air currents. The agency has maintained that the virus is spread mainly by contaminated surfaces and by droplets bigger than aerosols that are generated by coughing, sneezing and talking. These are thought to travel relatively short distances and drop quickly from the air.

This type of guidance has hampered efforts that could prevent airborne transmission, such as measures that improve ventilation of indoor spaces and limits on indoor gatherings, say the researchers in the commentary: “We are concerned that the lack of recognition of the risk of airborne transmission of COVID-19 and the lack of clear recommendations on the control measures against the airborne virus will have significant consequences: people may think that they are fully protected by adhering to the current recommendations, but in fact, additional airborne interventions are needed for further reduction of infection risk.”

This is particularly important now, as government-mandated lockdowns ease and businesses reopen. “To control [the pandemic], we need to control all the means of infection,” says Morawska, who first contacted the WHO with her concerns and published a summary of the evidence in early April.

But this conclusion is not popular with some experts because it goes against decades of thinking about respiratory infections. Since the 1930s, public-health researchers and officials have generally discounted the importance of aerosols — droplets less than 5 micrometres in diameter — in respiratory diseases such as influenza. Instead, the dominant view is that respiratory viruses are transmitted by the larger droplets or through contact with droplets that fall on surfaces or are transferred by people’s hands. When SARS-CoV-2 emerged at the end of 2019, the assumption was that it spread in the same way as other respiratory viruses and that airborne transmission was not important.

The WHO is following the available evidence, and has moderated its earlier opposition to the idea that the virus might spread through aerosols, according to Allegranzi. She says that although the WHO acknowledges that airborne transmission is plausible, current evidence falls short of proving the case. She adds that recommendations for physical distancing, quarantine and wearing masks in the community are likely go some way towards controlling aerosol transmission if it is occurring.

Return to “POLITICS”