2020 Elections - Trump FIRED

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
CU88

Re: 2020 Elections - Enough Divisiveness Already

Post by CU88 »

Biden Should Not Debate Trump Unless

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/07/opin ... e=Homepage

I worry about Joe Biden debating Donald Trump. He should do it only under two conditions. Otherwise, he’s giving Trump unfair advantages.

First, Biden should declare that he will take part in a debate only if Trump releases his tax returns for 2016 through 2018. Biden has already done so, and they are on his website. Trump must, too. No more gifting Trump something he can attack while hiding his own questionable finances.

And second, Biden should insist that a real-time fact-checking team approved by both candidates be hired by the nonpartisan Commission on Presidential Debates — and that 10 minutes before the scheduled conclusion of the debate this team report on any misleading statements, phony numbers or outright lies either candidate had uttered. That way no one in that massive television audience can go away easily misled.

Debates always have ground rules. Why can’t telling the truth and equal transparency on taxes be conditions for this one?

Yes, the fact that we have to make truth-telling an explicit condition is an incredibly sad statement about our time; normally such things are unspoken and understood. But if the past teaches us anything, Trump might very well lie and mislead for the entire debate, forcing Biden to have to spend a majority of his time correcting Trump before making his own points.

That is not a good way for Biden to reintroduce himself to the American people. And, let’s not kid ourselves, these debates will be his reintroduction to most Americans, who have neither seen nor heard from him for months if not years.

Because of Covid-19, Biden has been sticking close to home, wearing a mask and social distancing. And with the coronavirus now spreading further, and Biden being a responsible individual and role model, it’s likely that he won’t be able to engage with any large groups of voters before Election Day. Therefore, the three scheduled televised debates, which will garner huge audiences, will carry more weight for him than ever.

He should not go into such a high-stakes moment ceding any advantages to Trump. Trump is badly trailing in the polls, and he needs these debates much more than Biden does to win over undecided voters. So Biden needs to make Trump pay for them in the currency of transparency and fact-checking — universal principles that will level the playing field for him and illuminate and enrich the debates for all citizens.

Of course, Trump will stomp and protest and say, “No way.” Fine. Let Trump cancel. Let Trump look American voters in the eye and say: “There will be no debate, because I should be able to continue hiding my tax returns from you all, even though I promised that I wouldn’t and even though Biden has shown you his. And there will be no debate, because I should be able to make any statement I want without any independent fact-checking.”

If Trump says that, Biden can retort: “Well, that’s not a debate then, that’s a circus. If that’s what you want, why don’t we just arm wrestle or flip a coin to see who wins?”

I get why Republican senators and Fox News don’t press Trump on his taxes or call out his lies. They’re afraid of him and his base and unconcerned about the truth. But why should Biden, or the rest of us, play along?

After all, these issues around taxes and truth are more vital than ever for voters to make an informed choice.

Trump, you will recall, never sold his Trump Organization holdings or put them into a blind trust — as past presidents did with their investments — to avoid any conflicts of interest. Rather, his assets are in a revocable trust, whose trustees are his eldest son, Donald Jr., and Allen Weisselberg, the Trump Organization’s chief financial officer. Which is a joke.

Trump promised during the last campaign to release his tax returns after an I.R.S. “audit” was finished. Which turned out to have been another joke.

Once elected, Trump claimed that the American people were not interested in seeing his tax returns. Actually, we are now more interested than ever — and not just because it’s utterly unfair that Biden go into the debate with all his income exposed (he and his wife, Jill, earned more than $15 million in the two years after they left the Obama administration, largely from speaking engagements and books) while Trump doesn’t have to do the same.

There must be something in those tax returns that Trump really does not want the American public to see. It may be just silly — that he’s actually not all that rich. It may have to do with the fact that foreign delegations and domestic lobbyists, who want to curry favor with him, stay in his hotel in Washington or use it for corporate entertaining.

Or, more ominously, it may be related to Trump’s incomprehensible willingness to give Russian President Vladimir Putin the benefit of every doubt for the last three-plus years. Virtually every time there has been a major public dispute between Putin and U.S. intelligence agencies alleging Russian misdeeds — including, of late, that the Kremlin offered bounties for the killing of U.S. soldiers in Afghanistan — Trump has sided with Putin.

The notion that Putin may have leverage over him is not crazy, given little previous hints by his sons.

As Michael Hirsh recalled in a 2018 article in Foreign Policy about how Russian money helped to save the Trump empire from bankruptcy: “In September 2008, at the ‘Bridging U.S. and Emerging Markets Real Estate’ conference in New York, the president’s eldest son, Donald Jr., said: ‘In terms of high-end product influx into the United States, Russians make up a pretty disproportionate cross-section of a lot of our assets. Say, in Dubai, and certainly with our project in SoHo, and anywhere in New York. We see a lot of money pouring in from Russia.’”

The American people need to know if Trump is in debt in any way to Russian banks and financiers who might be close to Putin. Because if Trump is re-elected, and unconstrained from needing to run again, he will most likely act even more slavishly toward Putin, and that is a national security threat.

At the same time, debating Trump is unlike debating any other human being. Trump literally lies as he breathes, and because he has absolutely no shame, there are no guardrails. According to the Fact Checker team at The Washington Post, between Trump’s inauguration on Jan. 20, 2017, and May 29, 2020, he made 19,127 false or misleading claims.

Biden has been dogged by bone-headed issues of plagiarism in his career, but nothing compared to Trump’s daily fire hose of dishonesty, which has no rival in U.S. presidential history. That’s why it’s so important to insist that the nonpartisan Commission on Presidential Debates hire independent fact-checkers who, after the two candidates give their closing arguments — but before the debate goes off the air — would present a rundown of any statements that were false or only partly true.

Only if leading into the debate, American voters have a clear picture of Trump’s tax returns alongside Biden’s, and only if, coming out of the debate, they have a clear picture of who was telling the truth and who was not, will they be able to make a fair judgment between the two candidates.
by cradleandshoot » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:57 am
Mr moderator, deactivate my account.
You have heck this forum up to making it nothing more than a joke. I hope you are happy.
This is cradle and shoot signing out.
:roll: :roll: :roll:
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

CU88 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:58 pm Biden Should Not Debate Trump Unless

I worry about Joe Biden debating Donald Trump. He should do it only under two conditions. Otherwise, he’s giving Trump unfair advantages.

First, Biden should declare that he will take part in a debate only if Trump releases his tax returns for 2016 through 2018. Biden has already done so, and they are on his website. Trump must, too. No more gifting Trump something he can attack while hiding his own questionable finances.

And second, Biden should insist that a real-time fact-checking team approved by both candidates be hired by the nonpartisan Commission on Presidential Debates — and that 10 minutes before the scheduled conclusion of the debate this team report on any misleading statements, phony numbers or outright lies either candidate had uttered. That way no one in that massive television audience can go away easily misled.

Debates always have ground rules. Why can’t telling the truth and equal transparency on taxes be conditions for this one?

Yes, the fact that we have to make truth-telling an explicit condition is an incredibly sad statement about our time; normally such things are unspoken and understood. But if the past teaches us anything, Trump might very well lie and mislead for the entire debate, forcing Biden to have to spend a majority of his time correcting Trump before making his own points.

That is not a good way for Biden to reintroduce himself to the American people. And, let’s not kid ourselves, these debates will be his reintroduction to most Americans, who have neither seen nor heard from him for months if not years.

Because of Covid-19, Biden has been sticking close to home, wearing a mask and social distancing. And with the coronavirus now spreading further, and Biden being a responsible individual and role model, it’s likely that he won’t be able to engage with any large groups of voters before Election Day. Therefore, the three scheduled televised debates, which will garner huge audiences, will carry more weight for him than ever.

He should not go into such a high-stakes moment ceding any advantages to Trump. Trump is badly trailing in the polls, and he needs these debates much more than Biden does to win over undecided voters. So Biden needs to make Trump pay for them in the currency of transparency and fact-checking — universal principles that will level the playing field for him and illuminate and enrich the debates for all citizens.

Of course, Trump will stomp and protest and say, “No way.” Fine. Let Trump cancel. Let Trump look American voters in the eye and say: “There will be no debate, because I should be able to continue hiding my tax returns from you all, even though I promised that I wouldn’t and even though Biden has shown you his. And there will be no debate, because I should be able to make any statement I want without any independent fact-checking.”

If Trump says that, Biden can retort: “Well, that’s not a debate then, that’s a circus. If that’s what you want, why don’t we just arm wrestle or flip a coin to see who wins?”

I get why Republican senators and Fox News don’t press Trump on his taxes or call out his lies. They’re afraid of him and his base and unconcerned about the truth. But why should Biden, or the rest of us, play along?

After all, these issues around taxes and truth are more vital than ever for voters to make an informed choice.

Trump, you will recall, never sold his Trump Organization holdings or put them into a blind trust — as past presidents did with their investments — to avoid any conflicts of interest. Rather, his assets are in a revocable trust, whose trustees are his eldest son, Donald Jr., and Allen Weisselberg, the Trump Organization’s chief financial officer. Which is a joke.

Trump promised during the last campaign to release his tax returns after an I.R.S. “audit” was finished. Which turned out to have been another joke.

Once elected, Trump claimed that the American people were not interested in seeing his tax returns. Actually, we are now more interested than ever — and not just because it’s utterly unfair that Biden go into the debate with all his income exposed (he and his wife, Jill, earned more than $15 million in the two years after they left the Obama administration, largely from speaking engagements and books) while Trump doesn’t have to do the same.

There must be something in those tax returns that Trump really does not want the American public to see. It may be just silly — that he’s actually not all that rich. It may have to do with the fact that foreign delegations and domestic lobbyists, who want to curry favor with him, stay in his hotel in Washington or use it for corporate entertaining.

Or, more ominously, it may be related to Trump’s incomprehensible willingness to give Russian President Vladimir Putin the benefit of every doubt for the last three-plus years. Virtually every time there has been a major public dispute between Putin and U.S. intelligence agencies alleging Russian misdeeds — including, of late, that the Kremlin offered bounties for the killing of U.S. soldiers in Afghanistan — Trump has sided with Putin.

The notion that Putin may have leverage over him is not crazy, given little previous hints by his sons.

As Michael Hirsh recalled in a 2018 article in Foreign Policy about how Russian money helped to save the Trump empire from bankruptcy: “In September 2008, at the ‘Bridging U.S. and Emerging Markets Real Estate’ conference in New York, the president’s eldest son, Donald Jr., said: ‘In terms of high-end product influx into the United States, Russians make up a pretty disproportionate cross-section of a lot of our assets. Say, in Dubai, and certainly with our project in SoHo, and anywhere in New York. We see a lot of money pouring in from Russia.’”

The American people need to know if Trump is in debt in any way to Russian banks and financiers who might be close to Putin. Because if Trump is re-elected, and unconstrained from needing to run again, he will most likely act even more slavishly toward Putin, and that is a national security threat.

At the same time, debating Trump is unlike debating any other human being. Trump literally lies as he breathes, and because he has absolutely no shame, there are no guardrails. According to the Fact Checker team at The Washington Post, between Trump’s inauguration on Jan. 20, 2017, and May 29, 2020, he made 19,127 false or misleading claims.

Biden has been dogged by bone-headed issues of plagiarism in his career, but nothing compared to Trump’s daily fire hose of dishonesty, which has no rival in U.S. presidential history. That’s why it’s so important to insist that the nonpartisan Commission on Presidential Debates hire independent fact-checkers who, after the two candidates give their closing arguments — but before the debate goes off the air — would present a rundown of any statements that were false or only partly true.

Only if leading into the debate, American voters have a clear picture of Trump’s tax returns alongside Biden’s, and only if, coming out of the debate, they have a clear picture of who was telling the truth and who was not, will they be able to make a fair judgment between the two candidates.
… I really like this idea! I think Trump is going to need debates more than Joe does. Why give Trump anything?
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

:lol: :lol: :lol: Yea, like Trump needs a debate,.. :roll: he already consumes most all of social media and major news network coverage. All debates do is make Joe look even worse and make American feel sorry for the guy.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Learn. Their. Names.

a fan

Post by a fan »

CU77 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:22 pm Learn. Their. Names.

One thing's certain: Republicans are SO much better at messaging. Whew.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:19 pm :lol: :lol: :lol: Yea, like Trump needs a debate,.. :roll: he already consumes most all of social media and major news network coverage. All debates do is make Joe look even worse and make American feel sorry for the guy.
Trump lags in approval - bigly / Trump leads in disapproval - Bigly

Exactly why does Biden need a debate?? :lol: :lol: It's called electoral strategy. Unless the above situation changes, Biden doesn't need a debate.

By the way, the last time Biden went up against a republican in a debate, he mopped the floor with the Denali Ditz (another quick talking know nothing like Trump). I would expect him to do the same with Orange Duce. But why take a chance if you do not need to? People don't care about a debate, minds are already made up.
Last edited by jhu72 on Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

a fan wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:25 pm

… at least this crew!
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

jhu72 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:35 pm
youthathletics wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:19 pm :lol: :lol: :lol: Yea, like Trump needs a debate,.. :roll: he already consumes most all of social media and major news network coverage. All debates do is make Joe look even worse and make American feel sorry for the guy.

Exactly why does Biden need a debate?? :lol: :lol: It's called electoral strategy. Unless the above situation changes, Biden doesn't need a debate.

By the way, the last time Biden went up against a republican in a debate, he mopped the floor with the Denali Ditz (another know nothing like Trump). I would expect him to do the same with Orange Duce. But why take a chance if you do not need to? People don't care about a debate, minds are already made up.

This post is written by a person who is entirely uncertain if his false bravado will be noticed by anyone else.

(in politics, never assume you’re winning).
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

jhu72 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:02 pm

… I really like this idea! I think Trump is going to need debates more than Joe does. Why give Trump anything?
i doubt this idea helps joe. the swing voters win the election.
in biden's case, he's going to need to convince skeptics whether he is up to the task, in addition to where his positions are now.

this kind of ultimatum, without an expectation to be accepted, will be seen as joe hiding out so that assessment can't be made. imo.

he's going to be in his basement, not campaigning much, and then not debate?

all his votes will need to be anybody but trump and straight dems. and no joe won't exactly get people off the couch.

meantime, trump won't face tough questions of a debate and will be crafting whatever message out on the trail without challenge.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Peter Brown wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:39 pm

By the way, the last time Biden went up against a republican in a debate, he mopped the floor with the Denali Ditz (another know nothing like Trump). I would expect him to do the same with Orange Duce. But why take a chance if you do not need to? People don't care about a debate, minds are already made up.

This post is written by a person who is entirely uncertain if his false bravado will be noticed by anyone else.

good advice, you should try taking your own advice. :lol:
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

a fan wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:25 pm

Agree. :shock: :o

One day, these “moderate” Republicans will turn their guns against the Democrats, but we’ll worry about that at some later time. For now, the political destruction of Donald Trump and his racist horde takes priority over all else.

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:16 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:07 pm
youthathletics wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:48 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:32 pm
6ftstick wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:37 am just to be clear.jpg
Umm you favor aborting a life up to this point:

🤡
He had a chance.
Carlos DeLuna
Tim Tebow
Glad she made her choice.
“I wish you would!”
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

wgdsr wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:39 pm

in biden's case, he's going to need to convince skeptics whether he is up to the task, in addition to where his positions are now.

this kind of ultimatum, without an expectation to be accepted, will be seen as joe hiding out so that assessment can't be made. imo.

all his votes will need to be anybody but trump and straight dems. and no joe won't exactly get people off the couch.

meantime, trump won't face tough questions of a debate and will be crafting whatever message out on the trail without challenge.
… disagree. There aren't enough real swing voters in this election. If what you say is true, I feel comfortable in giving Trump the small number. They are already predisposed to vote for him.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

jhu72 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:40 pm

I do. I have no idea who will win this fall; you do. I’d like to see both candidates square up a few times; you’d prefer joe slink off into a corner. I don’t much believe in polls; I believe in observations; you swallow whatever is thrown your way and don’t seem to own an independent thought.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Peter Brown wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:44 pm
jhu72 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:40 pm

I do. I have no idea who will win this fall; you do. I’d like to see both candidates square up a few times; you’d prefer joe slink off into a corner. I don’t much believe in polls; I believe in observations; you swallow whatever is thrown your way and don’t seem to own an independent thought.
… this is what is known as bullsh!t. :lol:
tech37

Post by tech37 »

Right you are wgdsr... and can you imagine Kanye and Trump debating with Biden in absentia? Not a good look for moderate swing voters like myself ;)
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

tech37 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:49 pm

Right you are wgdsr... and can you imagine Kanye and Trump debating with Biden in absentia? Not a good look for moderate swing voters like myself ;)
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Right like there is any chance you will vote for Biden. You prove my point. :lol:
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

jhu72 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:43 pm

As Michael Hirsh recalled in a

… disagree. There aren't enough real swing voters in this election. If what you say is true, I feel comfortable in giving Trump the small number. They are already predisposed to vote for him.
not sure how you know this exactly, but then again i didn't expect to be changing your mind. just stating an opinion.
DocBarrister

Democratic Tsunami?!?

Post by DocBarrister »

(CNN)The debate among smart political handicappers is no longer whether former Vice President Joe Biden is a clear favorite over President Donald Trump to win the White House in the fall.

It's now whether Trump might lose big enough to drag down all Republicans on the ballot in November, creating a hole that it could take years for the GOP to dig out of.

"This election is looking more like a Democratic tsunami than simply a Blue wave," wrote The Cook Political Report's Amy Walter on Wednesday. "Republican strategists we've spoken with this week think Trump is close to the point of no return. A couple of others wondered if Trump had reached his 'Katrina' moment: a permanent loss of trust and faith of the majority of voters."

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/08/politics ... index.html

My wife and I had not made political donations in 8 years, devoting our resources towards my daughter’s future.

This year, we decided together that defeating Trump and his heartless, callous, racist, bigoted, and misogynistic supporters was crucial to protecting our daughter’s future.

There have been important elections in the past, but this one is almost certainly the most important since 1932.

My wife and I are, technically speaking, in the “Beverly Hills-Adjacent” zip code of the “1%”. Our expenditures for our special needs daughter are immense, but we have decided to make political donations this year. We’re not taking any chances ... and we’re not relying on any stinkin’ polls.

After witnessing the horror of the past several years, the Republican Party must not merely be defeated this November ... it must be crushed, destroyed, and buried.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
tech37

Post by tech37 »

wgdsr wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:55 pm
jhu72 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:43 pm

As Michael Hirsh recalled in a

not sure how you know this exactly, but then again i didn't expect to be changing your mind. just stating an opinion.
72 is SO wrong to be SO certain! First of all, we have no idea what turn of event(s) happen(s) from now until Nov. that could change the current voter perception(s). And now, after all of the disgusting civil unrest, there could possibly be many, many swing voters who are afraid to even admit they could possibly vote for Trump. 72 hasn't been this pumped up since the Mueller Report was about to be released, and we know how that turned out ;)

Return to “POLITICS”