Air Force
Cornell
Detroit Mercy
Merrimack
Ohio State
UMass Lowell
UMBC
Colgate
33% chance Maryland will have an assistant opening; possible move to one of the HC jobs listed here. As always, it will all play out the way it plays out.
cuseman4133

Re: 2020 Coaching Carousel

Post by cuseman4133 »

Doxology wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:14 pm
AreaLax wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:19 pm Division I Job Openings

Head Coach
Hampton
VMI

Assistant Coach
Air Force
Cornell
Detroit Mercy
Merrimack
Ohio State
UMass Lowell
UMBC
Colgate
33% chance Maryland will have an assistant opening; possible move to one of the HC jobs listed here. As always, it will all play out the way it plays out.
Reppert or Bernhardt are better off staying where they are than going to one of these jobs. They're all drops, especially at HC.
118:24 #HHH
FlyEaglesFly

Post by FlyEaglesFly »

Doxology wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:14 pm
AreaLax wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:19 pm Division I Job Openings

Head Coach
Hampton
VMI

Assistant Coach
Air Force
Cornell
Detroit Mercy
Merrimack
Ohio State
UMass Lowell
UMBC
Colgate
You are implying JL Reppert or Jesse Bernhardt would possibly take VMI or Hampton? That would shock me and I’d put those odds at way less than 33%
Gorilla Fan

Post by Gorilla Fan »

cuseman4133 wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:19 am Division I Job Openings

Head Coach
Hampton
VMI

Assistant Coach
Air Force
Cornell
Detroit Mercy
Merrimack
Ohio State
UMass Lowell
UMBC
Where is the Lowell vacancy posted?
Doxology

Post by Doxology »

FlyEaglesFly wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:05 pm
You are implying JL Reppert or Jesse Bernhardt would possibly take VMI or Hampton? That would shock me and I’d put those odds at way less than 33%
I was trying to find a nice way of saying one of them is in the final three for one of those jobs.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

If that's true then Reppert to VMI is really the only scenario that makes any sense
FlyEaglesFly

Post by FlyEaglesFly »

Doxology wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:47 am
FlyEaglesFly wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:05 pm
I was trying to find a nice way of saying one of them is in the final three for one of those jobs.
I guess I am just shocked Reppert would even be interested in VMI. I’d think he would have the job if he wanted it.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Other VMI candidates
Curtis Jaques, the current head coach at D3 Wilkes
James Purpura, the current head coach at D3 Arcadia
Both of them are former VMI assistants
Switzerland

Post by Switzerland »

Oof. Tough time to be weighing those options...
Doxology

Post by Doxology »

AreaLax wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:29 am Other VMI candidates
Curtis Jaques, the current head coach at D3 Wilkes
James Purpura, the current head coach at D3 Arcadia
Both of them are former VMI assistants
Jaques is also an '07 grad.
Switzerland wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:03 am Oof. Tough time to be weighing those options...
I can see that perspective but consider:
Both have experience already as staff at the Institute which means their learning curve isn't going to be as steep as Reppert's (not saying JL can't understand VMI but I hope you understand where I'm coming from).
Second, both have done a really good job at their respective programs. Jaques started the program at Wilkes and went from winless to winning season in one graduating class!
2016 0-15
2017 4-11
2018 8-8
2019 9-8 (conf semi)
2020 2-2

Purpura was Conference Coach of the Year in his only full season at Arcadia. Before their season got cut short his squad was 5-2.

As always, we'll see how it all shakes out.
Switzerland

Post by Switzerland »

I was more so referring to the candidates weighing the option of leaving their current positions to take over at VMI. Looking at the career paths for the last few head coaches doesn't give me the warm & fuzzies. Shirk left for a D-3 job. Anken resigned to "pursue other professional opportunities," then popped up at Davis & Elkins eight months later. Birsner left for a high school job. Tack on all of the fun that schools are dealing with during this pandemic....
veryoldgoose

Post by veryoldgoose »

Switzerland wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:44 pm I was more so referring to the candidates weighing the option of leaving their current positions to take over at VMI. Looking at the career paths for the last few head coaches doesn't give me the warm & fuzzies. Shirk left for a D-3 job. Anken resigned to "pursue other professional opportunities," then popped up at Davis & Elkins eight months later. Birsner left for a high school job. Tack on all of the fun that schools are dealing with during this pandemic....
Obviously I am a bit biased here, but Shirk didn't just leave for any D-3 job. At the time (and arguably may be still) a top 5 non-d1 job. Prior to Shirk, WAC was constantly ranked top 5-10 in D3 for decades (plus he brought a team in his first few years to a final four), a large number of national title appearances, the best d3 facility that puts many d1 facilities to shame, and a very large endowment for the men's team.

Speaking of Shirk - Reppert was his first offensive coordinator at WAC. Surprised that Reppert would be interested in VMI, he has been a finalist for much better d1 head coaching jobs more recently (Navy for one). If Reppert does go to VMI, that is an amazing hire. Former Naval Academy grad, served, has now coached with some of the best teams and coaches. Would be a fantastic hire. I just would be shocked if he actually took the job.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

James Purpura will become VMI’s next head coach according to Chris Jastrzembski twitter
Parputt

Post by Parputt »

FlyEaglesFly wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:23 pm
Parputt wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:02 pm
jrn19 wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:23 pm
FlyEaglesFly wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:43 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:25 pm Some potential candidates for the Ohio State OC job. Just spitballing here, have zero information:

- Bobby Benson, formerly of Hopkins
- Stephen Brundage, Hobart
- Peet Poillon, Marquette
- Steven Boyle, Drexel
- Ryan Danehy, Bucknell
- John Crawley, Lehigh
- Tim Cox, Robert Morris

Myers seems to be having some trouble hanging onto assistants. Location? Pay? Hard to recruit there? Personality clashes?
Heard he’s not the easiest guy to work for... Nick Myers loves him some Nick Myers
That’d probably explain why Sheridan lasted less than a year

Pretty hard to be an effective OC when you aren't even allowed to coach EMO! Not sure what "quality" assistant other than a youngerish guy would be willing to do that.?
This

And as predicted>>>>> young alum no coordinator experience>>>>Rick Lewis - OSU '15 - Army Volunteer Assistant.
2020 responsibilities: Goalies and Faceoff
B1G team now with no offensive coordinator.

HHH
Last edited by Parputt on Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
FlyEaglesFly

Post by FlyEaglesFly »

The word seems to be out on working for Nick Myers
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Jon Thompson heading to Air Force

Open HC
Hampton

Assistant Coach
Colgate
Detroit Mercy
Merrimack
UMass Lowell
UMBC
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

AreaLax wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:33 pm Jon Thompson heading to Air Force
Good move by AF. They get a guy who literally did it all at Amherst and CAN do anything needed at Air Force. That work ethic will always come in handy.

IMO an overall upgrade over JGJr.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

kramerica.inc wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:45 pm
Good move by AF. They get a guy who literally did it all at Amherst and CAN do anything needed at Air Force. That work ethic will always come in handy.

OK, so Jon Thompson was the HC and JGJr. was not, but could you elaborate on why he is an overall upgrade? Obviously I have a rooting interest in learning why, not that I know if he was offered the OC spot at JHU.

Edited: You wrote overall, not major.
Last edited by 44WeWantMore on Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
10 10 2

Post by 10 10 2 »

Glad to see Thompson land on his feet after wrongfully getting thrown under the bus by Amherst. Really good pickup for the AFA lacrosse program.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

44WeWantMore wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:21 pm
kramerica.inc wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:45 pm

OK, so Jon Thompson was the HC and JGJr. was not, but could you elaborate on why he is a major upgrade? Obviously I have a rooting interest in learning why, not that I know if he was offered the OC spot at JHU.
All opinion.

But to start, JT's shown his worth more consistently in coaching than JGJr. It wasn't just one class of talented kids that helped him be successful. Jury's still out if JGJr can be consistent as an OC. JT's done it steadily and consistently. He made a choice a few years ago to open up the offense at Amherst and it worked. And the offense at Amherst has been stellar ever since. And he's done it in the most competitive conference in all of D3, the NESCAC. At Amherst JT couldnt get anyone he wanted in the front door either. The same is true for AFA. I see the transition as probably being pretty smooth.

Last 7 years Amherst GPG:

Not an accident or mistake.

I think it's an upgrade because he can do it all, besides offense too- wherever he's needed at AF to help. Was JGJr giving tours on weekends or playing in the MLL? At the D3 level, these head coaches are REALLY hands on. Most do it all, from X's and Os to recruiting, to prospect tours, to practice plans, to camps, to uniforms, you name it. You have to be to be that successful. Thompson has been a premier D3 coach for years now due to his work ethic. Amherst's gaffe is AF's gain.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”