All things Chinese CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 69

tech37

Re: All things Chinese CoronaVirus

Post by tech37 »

seacoaster wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:05 pm
tech37 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:55 am
SCLaxAttack wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:39 am My daughter’s family recently moved to Comanche County, Oklahoma and received their public school information packet for their kindergarten and second grade boys. It included their current plan for dealing with COVID. Temperature checks twice daily. No attendance if a child has so much as a sniffle. No social distancing, i.e. a reduction in class size, is expected, but group interaction, e.g. multi-person projects, will be limited. Lunch will be in classrooms rather than the cafeteria. Outdoor time will be done by classroom rather than by grade or larger group.

The school calendar has four days of at school class time and one day of online class time each week. This is to allow one day of deep cleaning (in addition to new daily cleaning protocols) and to keep students and teachers comfortable with online classes in the event they have to further restrict at school learning. No after school programs. No mention of sports and extracurricular activities, I assume because these were kindergarten and second grade info-paks. No change to school transportation, although the school district highly encourages parents to drive their kids to school.

Each school’s online school day is the same across all grades. While creating different days for each grade’s online school day would create a better social distancing environment, knowing the one day when all your kids will be schooling from home makes things easier on working parents. I think this is a reasonable and thoughtful plan, and hope it can remain implemented for the entire school year.
Thanks for posting this. I'm going to share it with an administrator at my teen's high school along with seacoaster's response that NH is considering similar. Here in NY I'm expecting this may be deemed, too permissive :?
One of the problems will be the one size fits all. My guess is that schools in tech's area face different issues than NYC schools. How flexible are the states going to be within the state itself?

Here is the NH Task Force page; the surveys of the constituencies within the school issues (staff, parents, admin, etc) are kind of interesting.

https://www.education.nh.gov/who-we-are ... -taskforce
Thanks seacoaster.
Bart

Post by Bart »

tech37 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:14 pm
SCLaxAttack wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:39 am My daughter’s family recently moved to Comanche County, Oklahoma and received their public school information packet for their kindergarten and second grade boys. It included their current plan for dealing with COVID. Temperature checks twice daily. No attendance if a child has so much as a sniffle. No social distancing, i.e. a reduction in class size, is expected, but group interaction, e.g. multi-person projects, will be limited. Lunch will be in classrooms rather than the cafeteria. Outdoor time will be done by classroom rather than by grade or larger group.

The school calendar has four days of at school class time and one day of online class time each week. This is to allow one day of deep cleaning (in addition to new daily cleaning protocols) and to keep students and teachers comfortable with online classes in the event they have to further restrict at school learning. No after school programs. No mention of sports and extracurricular activities, I assume because these were kindergarten and second grade info-paks. No change to school transportation, although the school district highly encourages parents to drive their kids to school.

Each school’s online school day is the same across all grades. While creating different days for each grade’s online school day would create a better social distancing environment, knowing the one day when all your kids will be schooling from home makes things easier on working parents. I think this is a reasonable and thoughtful plan, and hope it can remain implemented for the entire school year.
Thanks for posting this. I'm going to share it with an administrator at my teen's high school along with seacoaster's response that NH is considering similar. Here in NY I'm expecting this may be deemed, too permissive :?
One of the problems will be the one size fits all. My guess is that schools in tech's area face different issues than NYC schools. How flexible are the states going to be within the state itself?

Here is the NH Task Force page; the surveys of the constituencies within the school issues (staff, parents, admin, etc) are kind of interesting.

Thanks seacoaster.
I know our local Supt, NYS, is chomping at the bit to have guidelines. Last I spoke with him he had none. It’s not that they ate not talking, they just haven’t decided.

Interesting enough, SUNY schools are having their “plans” reviewed and given the thumbs up/down currently.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

tech37 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:14 pm

Thanks seacoaster.
Tech, more for your talk with the Superintendent:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nc ... g-tool.pdf
CU77

Post by CU77 »

6ftstick wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:01 pm By combining the two estimates, the estimated overall fatality rate of those infected with the virus – with and without symptoms – would be 0.26%.

Quick! Run! hide!
With a US population of 330 million, with 70% infected needed for herd immunity (another estimate), and a 0.26% fatality rate, that's 600,000 dead.

And the death rate will be MUCH HIGHER if the curve is not flat enough to avoid overwhelming hospitals.

And many survivors have ongoing health issues, potentially very serious ones.

So, yes, I am absolutely running and hiding.
CU88

Post by CU88 »

Rise in "at home" deaths in Houston, jumps dramatically. Eventually these deaths will be reports as COVID, just like NJ had a "correction" recently.

https://www.texastribune.org/2020/07/08 ... hs-number/

CORONAVIRUS IN TEXAS
An increase in people dying at home suggests coronavirus deaths in Houston may be higher than reported
In Houston, one of the nation's fastest-growing coronavirus hot spots, more residents are dying before they can make it to a hospital. Medical examiner data shows that an increasing number of these deaths are the result of COVID-19.
by cradleandshoot » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:57 am
Mr moderator, deactivate my account.
You have heck this forum up to making it nothing more than a joke. I hope you are happy.
This is cradle and shoot signing out.
:roll: :roll: :roll:
a fan

Post by a fan »

CU77 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:03 pm
6ftstick wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:01 pm By combining the two estimates, the estimated overall fatality rate of those infected with the virus – with and without symptoms – would be 0.26%.

Quick! Run! hide!
With a US population of 330 million, with 70% infected needed for herd immunity (another estimate), and a 0.26% fatality rate, that's 600,000 dead.

And the death rate will be MUCH HIGHER if the curve is not flat enough to avoid overwhelming hospitals.

And many survivors have ongoing health issues, potentially very serious ones.

So, yes, I am absolutely running and hiding.
You need to add two things here.

1. We don't know if herd immunity works with Covid. Our information about this virus isn't even a year old. We simply don't know.

2. We also don't know if Covid gives the afflicted long term health damage. Everyone keeps acting like it's either death or perfect health recovery with Covid. We have NO CLUE if that's the case.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

CU88 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:28 pm Rise in "at home" deaths in Houston, jumps dramatically. Eventually these deaths will be reports as COVID, just like NJ had a "correction" recently.

https://www.texastribune.org/2020/07/08 ... hs-number/

CORONAVIRUS IN TEXAS
An increase in people dying at home suggests coronavirus deaths in Houston may be higher than reported
In Houston, one of the nation's fastest-growing coronavirus hot spots, more residents are dying before they can make it to a hospital. Medical examiner data shows that an increasing number of these deaths are the result of COVID-19.
That’s what is called undercount. I am convinced Florida also has an undercount.
“I wish you would!”
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

In response to afan - actually we do know there are significant health issues even with an asymptomatic case. Lung damage can be seen, and the lungs are not the only organs that have been seen to be affected.

Herd immunity will be determined by whether disease resistance due to actual exposure or an effective vaccine can get enough of the population there (depending on the raw rate of spread with no measures). But it is actually too early to say that any immunity lasts more than a matter of months - not enough time for the data to be accumulated.

In response to TLD - a couple of days ago there was a reference to the undercount, with a pretty good calculation - real death total somewhere between 1.5x and 2x reported deaths. Still an estimate, but since seasonal flu is pretty much gone, the numbers get more accurate during the summer.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

RedFromMI wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:18 pm In response to afan - actually we do know there are significant health issues even with an asymptomatic case. Lung damage can be seen, and the lungs are not the only organs that have been seen to be affected.
And this is verified by looking at before and after chest xrays of pre and post CV-19? And by post CV-19, a year later to see if there is indeed irreparable damage. Please share source.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
CU88

Post by CU88 »

This is LAUGHABLE

Pompeo on China: "They're incapable of being transparent, of accepting criticism, of allowing reporters to ask them questions that they find uncomfortable."

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1280932412105490432
You have heck this forum up to making it nothing more than a joke. I hope you are happy.
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:23 pm
RedFromMI wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:18 pm In response to afan - actually we do know there are significant health issues even with an asymptomatic case. Lung damage can be seen, and the lungs are not the only organs that have been seen to be affected.
And this is verified by looking at before and after chest xrays of pre and post CV-19? And by post CV-19, a year later to see if there is indeed irreparable damage. Please share source.
Don't know how many would have a pre-CV-19 scan, but here is one of many reports:
The coronavirus is leaving some people with permanent lung damage
https://www.newscientist.com/article/22 ... 6Rd8aXYAr

Or https://www.bbc.com/news/health-53065340

There is a ton out there. And even without pre-disease scans, damage can be verified by lack of symptoms before being infected.
CU88

Post by CU88 »

Florida's governor took a victory lap on coronavirus -- but it was only halftime.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/08/politics ... index.html
njbill

Post by njbill »

I’m not a doctor, but it wouldn’t surprise me if any lung damage caused by COVID-19 has a special signature and is clearly identifiable. Thus, there may not be a need to compare before and after pictures.

Too soon to tell if any damage will be temporary or permanent.

I have no idea whether any lung damage caused by COVID-19 would be in any way comparable to damage caused by smoking in terms of the ability of the body to heal itself. I do know that for some smokers, if they quit, their lungs will clear up, but for others, they won’t.

Don’t know about you, but I’m not too keen on having any lung damage at all regardless of its duration, especially when science doesn’t know right now whether it will be temporary or permanent.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

And it's not only potential lung damage. Heart damage and neurological damage have also been reported. How serious this damage is long-term remains to be seen.

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/ ... art-damage

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/2020 ... -infection

You guys who want to sign up to be guinea pigs for all this? Go for it!

Stay out of the hospitals though. My friends who work there shouldn't have to treat you, putting their own health at risk, because of your lifestyle choices.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Hopkins is now claiming that the positivity rate in Arizona is 24% of those tested.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

“I wish you would!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

jhu72 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:48 pm Hopkins is now claiming that the positivity rate in Arizona is 24% of those tested.
sounds like we are getting better at identifying who needs to be tested in certain places, especially those that might have growing cases. hopefully, the tests are getting better, too.
maricopa county seems to have dropped the ball on contact tracing, so hopefully with all that's gone on there,a public about face for a while will happen until things settle and get under control. and the county can get their act together.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:04 pm
Agreed. Question everything. It also helps that my father taught xray for over 30 years. I know a thing or two, b/c i've seen a thing or two. :lol:
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:04 pm
:lol: I love the T-Shirt. Where can I get one?
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
CU88

Post by CU88 »

New cases, yesterday:

Germany: 298
Denmark: 10
Norway: 11
Sweden: 57

United States: 55,442

I would NOT send my kid to school this August, here in the US.

Return to “POLITICS”