Johns Hopkins 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
jhu06

Re: Johns Hopkins 2021

Post by jhu06 »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:23 pm SUPER!

Finally a Hopkins Homecoming with FOOTBALL!!!

Hot damn.
WOMBAT you know the cheerleaders are on lifesupport in our sjw era.

To my knowledge there are only 2 fields at homewood. Football, field hockey, mens/womens soccer. Someones going to have to BIA it up, the forrest beyond the visitors side of homewood, or they'll have to go off campus.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

pcowlax wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:38 pm Oh, I certainly agree (even more likely than a hoax just a piece of rope at a construction site) but a patient, wait and see attitude is not exactly the hallmark of the JHU board.
Oh, that is not fair. They waited and saw through a decade of mediocrity every spring followed by a dumpster fire on Homewood Field.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

I don’t think spring football will have a massive impact on the lacrosse season—certainly not as much as it will at most other schools where football will take precedent and bump lacrosse to second class citizens. The biggest thing is they’ll probably have to play games with the football lines still on Homewood Field. Wouldn’t even be the worst thing in the world to have some Saturday doubleheaders with football.

Welcome coach Annino: https://twitter.com/jhumenslacrosse/sta ... 3182865409
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

Lacrosse with football lines is sacrilege. At least it is at Homewood. Can't we find football a field at BL or something?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Yeah they’re going to move the roster nearly 2x in size with zero scholarships and a lot more full payers for the lacrosse team to keep football lines off the field. Bloomberg’s money isn’t going to that.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

of course they're not. it was a joke. I do much prefer the field without the football lines. and I don't mean to malign the football team - it's been a really great program recently and a credit to the school.

still don't like the football lines though.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

nyjay wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:16 pm of course they're not. it was a joke. I do much prefer the field without the football lines. and I don't mean to malign the football team - it's been a really great program recently and a credit to the school.

still don't like the football lines though.
Hobart had a really terrific playoff game with them in 2014, went down to the wire. Obviously the good guys won.

Shame Margraff passed. He did a ton for that program.
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:23 pm SUPER!

Finally a Hopkins Homecoming with FOOTBALL!!!

Hot damn.
I'm a huge college FB fan, but playing in the spring is just dumb, IMO. Can't for the life of me understand what the Ivy League is thinking. It's a frickin' world wide pandemic. Just cancel fall sports with the exception of D1 football which pays the athletic bills at most D1 schools.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:46 pm
jhu06 wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:57 pm I never saw a womens lacrosse player do anything on campus other than walk around in dirty sweatpants talking to other womens lacrosse players
jhu06 wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:03 pm don't contribute to campus life
What, pray tell, does "contributing to campus life" even mean—or is that some made-up criteria you've cooked up to justify trying to get more people fired from a program you just admitted you "know nothing about"? You want to purge the women's side because 15 years ago the players wore sweatpants and didn't mingle with you on campus? This is beside the point but I'd bet a lot of money that the women's players are significantly more involved in campus activities outside of lacrosse than the men's team is.
If you had put it to a vote keep crew or womens lacrosse most students, professors, people on campus would've kept crew by about 95-5. They were active in greek life, tutoring, the race for cancer, spring fair, go down the line, wonderful people. The womens lax team paraded around in sweats, don't resemble the student body the admin is determined to create, showed up at the wa (a wonderful legendary place)/mens lax houses on the weekends,and basically seem to serve no purpose on campus other than to help whatever apparel company has chosen to sponsor the mens program also market their wares to young girls lacrosse players. I don't know anything about the womens game and don't care about it but you'd figure that if florida, northwestern, james madison and bc, all inferior in education, location for recruits, and legacy of the game can become powers in the sport JHU looks bad not at that level.

I love the football program but this is a lax school. The field gets turned over to the mens/womens programs and if they can find a separate field situation for the other sports great. If not, thanks for the memories.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Funny, I recall multiple Hop posters referring to the place as a research institute with a bolt on undergraduate school. I guess I should be checking the lacrosse page for my Covid updates.
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

veryoldgoose wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:05 pm Centennial just cancelled all fall sports, will look into having football in the spring.
This is a pure money play. What will be different in 6 months that would allow teams to play fall sports? Are the numbers going to be better? Not likely. In fact, they will be worse. Maybe not 2nd wave but assuredly not better than they currently are situated in the Centennial Conference school region.

If they had canceled the season, they know a bunch of kids would take deferments or take a gap year. If Hopkins has an issue with money, you can be sure, the smaller schools of the Centennial conference are having issues.

I'm not worried about the field lines, but how are they going to logistically organize all the teams for practice (though i doubt they even play this year - not that they shouldn't. Lawyers will step in and negate any attempt at playing).
nrthcrosslax

Post by nrthcrosslax »

Any word on a DOLO?
viper

Post by viper »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:46 pm The womens lax team paraded around in sweats, don't resemble the student body the admin is determined to create, showed up at the wa (a wonderful legendary place)/mens lax houses on the weekends......
Now you are making me "misty eyed". The "wa" has become lore, now that the original site has been replaced by Hopkins "renewal". Long past are the days of the once famed "fencing frat" with summer barbecues on top of the building entrance cover (not meant as a deck). :cry: :cry:
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

I’ve got a couple of wawa stories.

The strangest was someone had a damn blow dart gun (tube with dart) and was shooting darts into a piece of drywall.

I didn’t stick around too late - I figured a guaranteed horrific injury was going to happen after midnight, quite possibly from simply inhaling.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

Setting aside the frat, which was of course it's own story, there was the actual Wa. Many, many meals purchased on the way home from PJs at 2 am.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Received a really impressive email from Coach Milliman to alumni today. I feel pretty good about this staff and the direction of the program. He said they’re finalizing a DOLO hire in the coming weeks. At long last, we will no longer be DOLOless.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:45 pm Received a really impressive email from Coach Milliman to alumni today. I feel pretty good about this staff and the direction of the program. He said they’re finalizing a DOLO hire in the coming weeks. At long last, we will no longer be DOLOless.
Definitely hearing very positive things coming out of the program.

As long as I don’t hear “peer leadership” I should be stable for a while
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

“Peer leadership” was terminology to explain voting people off the team.

Result: 2-4. We will always have that sweet MSM OT win to look back on. Fond memories, not.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:10 pm “Peer leadership” was terminology to explain voting people off the team.

Result: 2-4. We will always have that sweet MSM OT win to look back on. Fond memories, not.
In hindsight I guess that’s exactly what it was. Nice to see Foley land in the PLL and on the game day roster.
Hoponboard

Post by Hoponboard »

No fall sports, but practices allowed. Ivy will decide later on winter and spring sports schedules.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/sto ... s-pandemic

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”