Johns Hopkins 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Re: Johns Hopkins 2021

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

It hasn’t been discussed here as far as I can tell, but as far as the “more to go”:

I expect WLax to get cleared out next. Whenever Coach Tucker’s contract is up. And, if Hopkins isn’t renewing it in advance, well, you can’t watch Coach Pietramala walk the plank for two years and not think the same is happening or could happen to you.

Why? If you apply the same standards to Wlax that were used in justifying letting go of the entire Mlax staff, well... sure, Wlax is meh. Not a great D1 team - never has been. Different expectations - ABSOLUTELY. I would rate it as above average, but disappointing that it really hasn’t broken out and made more noise at D1. The sad thing is - it’s not, for the most part, expected to.

But: One new AD, and now an even newer AD.

A chance, when the opportunity arises (contract up is the most obvious), to bring in new blood for a Wlax coaching staff that might turn out to be more successful on the field (B1G, NC$$) and might cost less too. More visibility that the new AD is continuing to help improve JHU Athletics.

I could easily see the AD making such a move. She’s already made the tough one. Wlax would be easy peasy in comparison.

If I were sitting in the other half of the CLC, I wouldn’t be comfortable at all.

This is pure speculation on my part - I’ve done very little poking around on this subject. I’m not even sure if any of the other sports coaches are on a “contract” like men’s lacrosse is. Maybe all are just JHU Employees, just like other JHU jobs - professors and janitors.

But, witnessing the past couple of years and especially this past April, I highly suspect something will change soon. Maybe a year or two to go. Not sure.

Back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Wombat
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:44 pm It hasn’t been discussed here as far as I can tell, but as far as the “more to go”:

I expect WLax to get cleared out next. Whenever Coach Tucker’s contract is up. And, if Hopkins isn’t renewing it in advance, well, you can’t watch Coach Pietramala walk the plank for two years and not think the same is happening or could happen to you.

Why? If you apply the same standards to Wlax that were used in justifying letting go of the entire Mlax staff, well... sure, Wlax is meh. Not a great D1 team - never has been. Different expectations - ABSOLUTELY. I would rate it as above average, but disappointing that it really hasn’t broken out and made more noise at D1. The sad thing is - it’s not, for the most part, expected to.

A chance, when the opportunity arises (contract up is the most obvious), to bring in new blood for a Wlax coaching staff that might turn out to be more successful on the field (B1G, NC$$) and might cost less too. More visibility that the new AD is continuing to help improve JHU Athletics.

I could easily see the AD making such a move. She’s already made the tough one. Wlax would be easy peasy in comparison.

If I were sitting in the other half of the CLC, I wouldn’t be comfortable at all.

This is pure speculation on my part - I’ve done very little poking around on this subject. I’m not even sure if any of the other sports coaches are on a “contract” like men’s lacrosse is. Maybe all are just JHU Employees, just like other JHU jobs - professors and janitors.

But, witnessing the past couple of years and especially this past April, I highly suspect something will change soon. Maybe a year or two to go. Not sure.

Wombat
I think you are assuming, (wrongly in my opinion) that Petro is gone because of on field results. I think Tucker is exactly what the new and old AD want and expect in a coach.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:40 pm Demopolous just flipped to Brown, per Ty Xanders. Is Milliman having trouble holding onto Petro's 21s or is this an intentional thing to essentially start over with his own guys? I can't imagine this kid, the 3rd ranked goalie in the class from Darien, would not have fit into the new staff's plans.

With most '21s committed already, Milliman is going to have to pull some rabbits out of his hat by either flipping some guys himself or finding ones way off the radar. It's fine (perhaps preferred) if it's a small class given the current size of the roster but you can't afford to just keep hemorrhaging big potential talent like this without replacing it to some extent.
difficult decisions and conversations, probably.

i know not your genesis, but i couldn't help myself.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:44 pm It hasn’t been discussed here as far as I can tell, but as far as the “more to go”: This is pure speculation on my part - I’ve done very little poking around on this subject. I’m not even sure if any of the other sports coaches are on a “contract” like men’s lacrosse is. Maybe all are just JHU Employees, just like other JHU jobs - professors and janitors. But, witnessing the past couple of years and especially this past April, I highly suspect something will change soon. Maybe a year or two to go. Not sure.Back to your regularly scheduled programming.
Wombat
petro nearly losing at home to msm sealed his fate for I think most fans. Until we see confirmed reporting what non record factors were at play, to the regular fan the decline on the field was fair game, and shanahan is on the line w/milliman.

I know nothing about womens lacrosse, but it's my understanding that the clc was built with mens lacrosse $, that the "Hopkins lacrosse" brand the women are able to pitch+resources have a lot to do with the mens program, that they are in the center of a lacrosse hot bed, they are in a national conference because of the men, they have a hopkins education/and easier admissions access (I never saw a womens lacrosse player do anything on campus other than walk around in dirty sweatpants talking to other womens lacrosse players), and yet I look at the stats and they're basically a non factor in their sport.

xanders fashions himself a big boy reporter, he should be asking the questions of recruits who defect whether it was us or them. I'm glad on the goalie defection he saved us the crafty description.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

flalax22 wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:59 pm
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:44 pm It hasn’t been discussed here as far as I can tell, but as far as the “more to go”:

Wombat
I think you are assuming, (wrongly in my opinion) that Petro is gone because of on field results. I think Tucker is exactly what the new and old AD want and expect in a coach.
There was obviously a lot more going on regarding mlax than W-L records. I’ve stated that in detail in previous posts.

But, in the end, it was declared that a different direction was desired.

What I’m saying is (and not totally based on W-L BTW), I expect a different direction in wlax in the not too distant future.

W
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

WOMBAT you're right as usual. The university just made a huge stink about how they don't want special exemptions for alumni kids applying because they want a more socio economically diverse student body so it's fair to look at the hopkins womens lacrosse program and say these kids don't contribute to the student body diversity (racial or socio economic) goals on campus, don't contribute to campus life and if they're not winning consistently, why isn't there reason for a change at the coaching level.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06 wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:57 pm I never saw a womens lacrosse player do anything on campus other than walk around in dirty sweatpants talking to other womens lacrosse players
jhu06 wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:03 pm don't contribute to campus life
What, pray tell, does "contributing to campus life" even mean—or is that some made-up criteria you've cooked up to justify trying to get more people fired from a program you just admitted you "know nothing about"? You want to purge the women's side because 15 years ago the players wore sweatpants and didn't mingle with you on campus? This is beside the point but I'd bet a lot of money that the women's players are significantly more involved in campus activities outside of lacrosse than the men's team is.

I have no clue what will happen to the women's team—I frankly don't care a whole lot one way or the other. Have never met Tucker but she seems nice and she's generally pretty well liked in the community from what I've gathered.

I totally forgot about Szuluk when mentioning potential close D starters sans Colwell...so I guess throw him in the mix alongside the others I mentioned. He is for all intents and purposes a freshman again but will have a big leg up on several of his peers given that he's already had a fall ball and offseason and a handful of games to adjust to D1.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

If it’s fair to call a HS Jr a defector is it also fair to describe Hop as North Korea?
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

Back to posting today after my day of mourning for losing the Greek God of Goalies. Brown does have quite the history of developing great goalies (as opposed to say, I dunno, JHU?). So maybe there's something it that. Can't imagine PM thought the two we just lost didn't fit, so doubt this is intentional, unless they have guys already lined up. That said, it wouldn't surprise me if the 21 class just ends up very small, with the view that the guys on the roster and a bigger 22 class recruited by this staff can make up for it. Would also have the benefit of right-sizing the roster.

Still shocked that of the kids we've lost, the Italian defenseman from a public school on Long Island isn't one of them (yet).
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:00 am If it’s fair to call a HS Jr a defector is it also fair to describe Hop as North Korea?
Well, we have electricity and don’t have hard-headed numbskulls.

Oh, wait....

Revision: we have electricity.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

And Rice, got to have rice!
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

I have to say I am shocked at the forbearance of this board in not weighing in on the, uhm, "finding" that put JHU in the news over the weekend.
Hoponboard

Post by Hoponboard »

Tweet from Chris Jastrzembski:

“So sounds like Centennial Conference is moving their football season to the spring.

That’s Johns Hopkins’ home conference.”
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

pcowlax wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:51 pm I have to say I am shocked at the forbearance of this board in not weighing in on the, uhm, "finding" that put JHU in the news over the weekend.
It may not be a hoax, but that is the way to bet.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Oh, I certainly agree (even more likely than a hoax just a piece of rope at a construction site) but a patient, wait and see attitude is not exactly the hallmark of the JHU board.
Catbird

Post by Catbird »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:40 pm Demopolous just flipped to Brown, per Ty Xanders. Is Milliman having trouble holding onto Petro's 21s or is this an intentional thing to essentially start over with his own guys? I can't imagine this kid, the 3rd ranked goalie in the class from Darien, would not have fit into the new staff's plans.

With most '21s committed already, Milliman is going to have to pull some rabbits out of his hat by either flipping some guys himself or finding ones way off the radar. It's fine (perhaps preferred) if it's a small class given the current size of the roster but you can't afford to just keep hemorrhaging big potential talent like this without replacing it to some extent.
I mean, I'm not going to say the kid won't be good because Brown tends to find good ones, but just going on past trajectory when was the last time a goalie Petro recruited amounted to anything; several of those guys were the X rated goalie in their class too. :|

So... "we'll see", as the zen master said.
Last edited by Catbird on Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Catbird

Post by Catbird »

pcowlax wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:38 pm Oh, I certainly agree (even more likely than a hoax just a piece of rope at a construction site) but a patient, wait and see attitude is not exactly the hallmark of the JHU board.
It was apparently found at an off-campus construction site owned by the school of engineering, so beyond the fact that they own the building it will probably turn out to have little to do with anyone employed by the school (unless you expand that to the private contractor they are paying to do the work).
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

Catbird - I don't think Petro recruited bad goalies. I think he recruited good ones (Demopolous included) and then for whatever reason failed to develop them. Brown recently seems to be different (Kelly and Goss are both better than anyone we've had in a long, long time).
veryoldgoose

Post by veryoldgoose »

Centennial just cancelled all fall sports, will look into having football in the spring.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

SUPER!

Finally a Hopkins Homecoming with FOOTBALL!!!

Hot damn.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”