School Closings

General Chatter
xxxxxxx

Re: School Closings

Post by xxxxxxx »

pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Not going to repeat my post from the Ivy League thread but announcement from Yale makes fall sports seem very unlikely (no sophomores allowed on campus, no gatherings or performances, no dining halls, etc). Can't see how you could possibly justify allowing sports with such restrictions for the rest of the students. Also can't see unfortunately how this is any different by the spring.
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

Wheels wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:27 pm
bauer4429 wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:39 pm I certainly hope D1 athletics can start their fall seasons as usual. There’s a big difference between D3 and D1. The most significant difference being the fact D3 does not offer athletic scholarships and are focused on academics. Athletics are just a nice extra curricular activity to enhance your experience. D1 is a whole different ball game.
Aside from generating a ton of enrollment $$, yes, D3 sports do enhance student experience. D3 administrators probably hope that their athletes still decide to remain enrolled and not take gap years.
D3 administrators probably hope that their students still decide to remain enrolled and not take gap years.
DALaxDad

Post by DALaxDad »

Interesting story on University of Michigan football during WW II and the challenges of fielding teams:

https://bentley.umich.edu/news-events/n ... -football/
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

ICGrad wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:27 pm
Wheels wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:27 pm
bauer4429 wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:39 pm I certainly hope D1 athletics can start their fall seasons as usual. There’s a big difference between D3 and D1. The most significant difference being the fact D3 does not offer athletic scholarships and are focused on academics. Athletics are just a nice extra curricular activity to enhance your experience. D1 is a whole different ball game.
Aside from generating a ton of enrollment $$, yes, D3 sports do enhance student experience. D3 administrators probably hope that their athletes still decide to remain enrolled and not take gap years.
D3 administrators probably hope that their students still decide to remain enrolled and not take gap years.
Excellent management strategy - hope...
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

ICGrad wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:27 pm D3 administrators probably hope that their students still decide to remain enrolled and not take gap years.
One in the same.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Lafayette College has notified Navy that its football program will not make the trip to Annapolis for the Sept. 12 contest.
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

News from the Ivy league, limited students coming back to campus. Not good for athletics, formal announcements regarding fall sports coming soon.

https://planetprinceton.com/2020/07/06/ ... -semester/

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/07/06/ ... turn-fall/
dawn patrol

Post by dawn patrol »

Nicht gut
From Princeton article:

Many activities will be unavailable, impermissible, or highly regulated. Parties will be prohibited.

Based on "Glob" article Spring looking shaky too.

In all, only 40 percent of Harvard’s undergraduates will be on campus starting in September, and all teaching will be done remotely. In the spring freshmen will return home, and seniors will likely come to Cambridge. Students will be housed in single-room dormitories, and most of the non-residential buildings in Harvard Yard will be off limits, the university outlined in its plans Monday.

“We have sought a path to bringing all students back as soon as conditions allow, while continuing their academic progress in the meantime and remaining a vibrant research community across our broad range of disciplines,” Harvard President Lawrence Bacow, along with two deans, wrote in a message to the community. “But we also recognize that, fundamentally, there is an intrinsic incompatibility between our highly interactive, residential Harvard College experience and the social distancing needed to mitigate COVID-19 transmission.”
10 10 2

Post by 10 10 2 »

With those conditions, you'd be crazy not to defer or take a gap year for the '20-'21 school year.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

10 10 2 wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:04 pm With those conditions, you'd be crazy not to defer or take a gap year for the '20-'21 school year.
Some schools...not saying Harvard is one because I don't know...are telling students if they want to defer for the gap year that their spot won't be held and will have to reapply again. Other schools are selling "get out faster" kinds of programs to highlight that if you get done in 3 years instead of 4 that you'll get a head start on your career during uncertain times. Don't know if these particular incentives will induce students to deposit, but we'll see.
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

I heard from a reliable source that Princeton is telling students who withdraw temporarily it may take up to two years to be re admitted.
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

At this point, there seem to be only two real options. 1. Re-open in full and deal with the consequences. 2. Close the school for a year. There is no way students are receiving real value for these half-a$$ solutions.
#nogoodoptions
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Obviously understand why kids would want to defer/take a year off but also see why schools would have policies like those just listed. If a massive number of kids defer this year, there will be no spots to admit ‘21s to (I’m not talking lax here, just in general). Can’t really say the way to be fair to one year is to screw over the next.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

pcowlax wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:55 pm Obviously understand why kids would want to defer/take a year off but also see why schools would have policies like those just listed. If a massive number of kids defer this year, there will be no spots to admit ‘21s to (I’m not talking lax here, just in general). Can’t really say the way to be fair to one year is to screw over the next.
well, i hope they don't talk to the nc$$. or that is, college presidenrs, so themselves.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Can Opener wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:47 pm At this point, there seem to be only two real options. 1. Re-open in full and deal with the consequences. 2. Close the school for a year. There is no way students are receiving real value for these half-a$$ solutions.
#nogoodoptions
fewer than 200 in the usa under 24 have died of covid.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

pcowlax wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:55 pm Obviously understand why kids would want to defer/take a year off but also see why schools would have policies like those just listed. If a massive number of kids defer this year, there will be no spots to admit ‘21s to (I’m not talking lax here, just in general). Can’t really say the way to be fair to one year is to screw over the next.
Looking at the big picture, past lacrosse, Perhaps this is the push we need for more kids in general to choose high-tech, skilled professions and trades.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:14 pm
Looking at the big picture, past lacrosse, Perhaps this is the push we need for more kids in general to choose high-tech, skilled professions and trades.
That would be one salutary outcome of this. This is a topic for a longer post but the number of colleges per capita in the US vs others similar countries is significantly higher, as is the percentage of kids attending. I would never argue against pursing an education but there are an awful lot of schools that admit 90% of applicant and graduate them with a degree that won’t open the door to an outhouse. For many it would indeed be better to forgo the debt and lost years of earning and pursue a trade or tech school, almost guaranteed employment in many fields that are recession and outsourcing proof.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

pcowlax wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:55 pm
kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:14 pm
That would be one salutary outcome of this. This is a topic for a longer post but the number of colleges per capita in the US vs others similar countries is significantly higher, as is the percentage of kids attending. I would never argue against pursing an education but there are an awful lot of schools that admit 90% of applicant and graduate them with a degree that won’t open the door to an outhouse. For many it would indeed be better to forgo the debt and lost years of earning and pursue a trade or tech school, almost guaranteed employment in many fields that are recession and outsourcing proof.
There are a ton of trade programs all across the country. Nobody is stopping kids from going. My admin assistant’s two boys went the trade route. They started in H.S. Plenty of kids do it. There is no shortage of schools or candidates....what there is a shortage of is jobs here.

http://www.free-4u.com/Trade-Schools/Ne ... hools.html

https://www.accreditedschoolsonline.org ... ew-jersey/
“I wish you would!”
Drcthru

Post by Drcthru »

wgdsr wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:05 pm
Can Opener wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:47 pm At this point, there seem to be only two real options. 1. Re-open in full and deal with the consequences. 2. Close the school for a year. There is no way students are receiving real value for these half-a$$ solutions.
#nogoodoptions
fewer than 200 in the usa under 24 have died of covid.
https://www.latimes.com/california/stor ... ewsom-says
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to do the dishes.

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”