Johns Hopkins 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
flalax22

Re: Johns Hopkins 2021

Post by flalax22 »

Difficult decisions and conversations have been had with some of the 2021 commits.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

No doubt. Tough situation all around. It's been pretty much sunshine and roses for us since Petro left, so couldn't continue uninterrupted. Will be interesting to see what happens with the 21s - I imagine there will be a lot of movement in that class everywhere as a result of all the potential five year players. We'll pick some up, and not all that many to lose at this point. Watching this staff recruiting the 22's will be fascinating as well. Those in the know all seem to think the 22 class is more talented overall than the 21s.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

flalax22 wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:07 pm Difficult decisions and conversations have been had with some of the 2021 commits.
better to do it now before they flip.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

nyjay wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:41 pm No doubt. Tough situation all around. It's been pretty much sunshine and roses for us since Petro left, so couldn't continue uninterrupted. Will be interesting to see what happens with the 21s - I imagine there will be a lot of movement in that class everywhere as a result of all the potential five year players. We'll pick some up, and not all that many to lose at this point. Watching this staff recruiting the 22's will be fascinating as well. Those in the know all seem to think the 22 class is more talented overall than the 21s.
Given the results of the past decade this stuff was bound to happen and if the kid was highly recruited this frees up scholarship $$ for the staff to redirect to other kids that are coming knowing the staff they will play for is the one that recruited them.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

flalax22 wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:07 pm Difficult decisions and conversations have been had with some of the 2021 commits.
Is this in reference to Cohen, or just a general statement? Because he seems like one of the guys in that class the new staff should have tried to keep.

This is the third recent Hopkins commit to switch to Yale, though obviously the circumstances are unique this time around. The last two have not seen the field a whole lot for the Bulldogs.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

HopFan16 wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:05 am
Is this in reference to Cohen, or just a general statement? Because he seems like one of the guys in that class the new staff should have tried to keep.

This is the third recent Hopkins commit to switch to Yale, though obviously the circumstances are unique this time around. The last two have not seen the field a whole lot for the Bulldogs.
I understand offensive differences but jameson comes from the petro coaching tree so would've thought there'd be a smoother transition there. It's hard to fault a kid for passing up a yale education especially when they just won a title.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Drcthru wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:36 pm Anyway - usually agree with your posts all the way but can't here - John DeTomasso was one of the ALL TIME greats - his battles with Tim Nelson were terrific lacrosse theater - some of best 1v1 - still hear ol Leif Elsmo - "mano a mano"

Call me pedantic(I am a JHU alum)but "mano a mano" in Spanish means hand to hand. Why do people think adding an "O" to an English word makes it Spanish. Man is hombre. Man to man is hombre a hombre. Probably more appropriate to lacrosse would be palo a palo or, roughly stick to stick.
https://mobile.twitter.com/nealbrennan/ ... 3399044096

He does a joke on this topic which I can’t find a clip for but is part of an excellent Netflix comedy special called 3 MICs. Part of the way into the transcript you’ll find the joke in print

https://scrapsfromtheloft.com/2017/09/2 ... ranscript/
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

General.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

I can see how a player would switch from Hopkins to Yale or the other way around. Similarly situated schools in an urban setting. Baltimore has more to offer than New Haven but I can see how a player that chooses Hopkins would choose Yale.
“I wish you would!”
NElaxtalent

Post by NElaxtalent »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:36 pm
I can see how a player would switch from Hopkins to Yale or the other way around. Similarly situated schools in an urban setting. Baltimore has more to offer than New Haven but I can see how a player that chooses Hopkins would choose Yale.
HYP and the SA's are just different.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

NElaxtalent wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:16 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:36 pm
HYP and the SA's are just different.
Yes they are. Enjoy the 4th!
“I wish you would!”
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Absolutely no problem with him going to Yale, gotta do what's best for him especially after a coaching change these kids should have complete and total freedom to explore other options if they see fit. If you're going to give up a Hopkins education, there aren't many better alternatives than Yale. Was just curious about what flalax meant and if it had anything to do with Cohen in particular—because if "difficult decisions/conversations" are being had (read: "you may no longer have a spot in this class after the staff turnover") I was assuming Cohen as the highest ranked kid in the class would NOT be one of those difficult choices...he's probably a kid you want on your team no matter who originally recruited him.

Junior was in Baltimore househunting this weekend. He's playing in the MLL Covid-shortened tournament in Annapolis later this month. 45 years old. Gotta give the dude some credit, just can't stay away from the game despite basically having only one operational knee. Will hopefully be his last summer without live recruiting for a long time, got to take advantage of the free time.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

HopFan16 wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:05 am ...This is the third recent Hopkins commit to switch to Yale, though obviously the circumstances are unique this time around. The last two have not seen the field a whole lot for the Bulldogs.
Just wondering: is Kuttin included in "The last two?" If so, he saw the field a fair amount during the cancelled 2020 season, scored a goal against Penn State. In his first year, 2019, he played in the majority of games, although not during critical junctures / big games. Perhaps the most interesting case is someone who never committed to Hop, Jackson Morrill. Denver?!? Just speculating, but perhaps Bill Tierney's legendary status attracted.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

FannOLax wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:12 am
HopFan16 wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:05 am ...This is the third recent Hopkins commit to switch to Yale, though obviously the circumstances are unique this time around. The last two have not seen the field a whole lot for the Bulldogs.
Just wondering: is Kuttin included in "The last two?" If so, he saw the field a fair amount during the cancelled 2020 season, scored a goal against Penn State. In his first year, 2019, he played in the majority of games, although not during critical junctures / big games.
Yes. "Played in the majority of the games" but only took 3 shots the entire season...sounds like mostly garbage time mop-up duties to me. Goal against PSU was his first and only of career. Thought he was a very good player coming out of Chaminade. I stand by assessment that he hasn't played much at Yale—who knows if it'd be any different at Hopkins. I think you could make the argument the picture is clearer for the FOGO who switched to Yale and then was immediately greeted with three years of Mr. Ierlan in front of him.
viper

Post by viper »

FannOLax wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:12 am
Just wondering: is Kuttin included in "The last two?" If so, he saw the field a fair amount during the cancelled 2020 season, scored a goal against Penn State. In his first year, 2019, he played in the majority of games, although not during critical junctures / big games. Perhaps the most interesting case is someone who never committed to Hop, Jackson Morrill. Denver?!? Just speculating, but perhaps Bill Tierney's legendary status attracted.
I beileve Jackson's dad did play for Tierney while at Hopkins so there may have already been a connection there.
AustinDangerPowers

Post by AustinDangerPowers »

Owen Colwell will not be returning for the 2021 season per the Hopkins twitter account. Received a job offer that he couldn’t refuse. Respect the decision and good luck to him as he moves on to his professional career.

I guess now this opens up the question of who in the hell is gonna be our top close D guy next year? :shock:
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

AustinDangerPowers wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:59 am Owen Colwell will not be returning for the 2021 season per the Hopkins twitter account. Received a job offer that he couldn’t refuse. Respect the decision and good luck to him as he moves on to his professional career.

I guess now this opens up the question of who in the hell is gonna be our top close D guy next year? :shock:
There’s a million poles on that roster. Simplify the D and I think we find some horses and probably ask ourselves what the heck has been going on for the last few years.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Colwell was a defensive leader but he was not the "top close D guy" in that he wasn't covering the opponent's top attackman—that honor went to McManus which was a tall task for a kid who played SSDM the previous season.

I wonder if this further tempts the new staff to bump Reinson down low to get some real D1 field experience at the position. Otherwise—even if Lyne and McManus return as starters—you'd still only have two guys with less than half a season's worth of experience starting at close D and the third guy would be completely new. Something like Reinson-McManus-Smith or Reinson-Smith-Calnan/Ruddy/Rodgers would be interesting. If there is no fall ball I have no clue how PM and K are supposed to figure out who starts. A lot will have to be decided quickly in January practices, assuming those happen.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

from loyola game start that's
forry/hubler/concannon (hurt)/stagnitta/colwell/darby(presumably benched)/plus the coaching staff. Feels like there's more to go.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Demopolous just flipped to Brown, per Ty Xanders. Is Milliman having trouble holding onto Petro's 21s or is this an intentional thing to essentially start over with his own guys? I can't imagine this kid, the 3rd ranked goalie in the class from Darien, would not have fit into the new staff's plans.

With most '21s committed already, Milliman is going to have to pull some rabbits out of his hat by either flipping some guys himself or finding ones way off the radar. It's fine (perhaps preferred) if it's a small class given the current size of the roster but you can't afford to just keep hemorrhaging big potential talent like this without replacing it to some extent.
Last edited by HopFan16 on Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”