2020 Elections - Trump FIRED

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
ggait

Re: 2020 Elections - Trump Fatigue Pandemic

Post by ggait »

Just got back from voting in today's Colorado primary. My voting location was slower than normal. Since it was backed up with other voters who were all trying to stay SD-ed from each other.

Took me 19 seconds from when the car entered the police station driveway until I was able to park and deposit my universal mail-in ballot in the drop box. But I did vote 13 times. So a fast 1.5 seconds per vote. ;)

But if I lived somewhere else, instead I could have stood outside for a long time in the hot/cold, rain/snow and then also had an opportunity to suck up a bunch of Covid.

Mail in voting = bad.
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

ggait wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:47 pm Just got back from voting in today's Colorado primary. My voting location was slower than normal. Since it was backed up with other voters who were all trying to stay SD-ed from each other.

Took me 19 seconds from when the car entered the police station driveway until I was able to park and deposit my universal mail-in ballot in the drop box. But I did vote 13 times. So a fast 1.5 seconds per vote. ;)

But if I lived somewhere else, instead I could have stood outside for a long time in the hot/cold, rain/snow and then also had an opportunity to suck up a bunch of Covid.

Mail in voting = bad.
Was Giuliani watching you vote multiple times?
“I wish you would!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

ggait wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:47 pm Just got back from voting in today's Colorado primary. My voting location was slower than normal. Since it was backed up with other voters who were all trying to stay SD-ed from each other.

Mail in voting = bad.
have people opposed colorado's mail in practices? officially tried to overturn them federally? they seem solid.
ggait

Post by ggait »

have people opposed colorado's mail in practices? officially tried to overturn them federally? they seem solid.
Elections are primary jurisdiction of the states, absent a federal law (like the Voting Rights Act) or a major constitutional issue (like if a state tried to outlaw voting by a suspect classification). So I don't think there's any basis for a challenge. Four other western states have it as well.

Second, universal mail in voting is hugely popular in Colorado among voters of both parties. The only folks opposed were the GOP state legislators because, well you know, Republican politicians fear too many people of the wrong age/color being able to easily vote.

The most important bipartisan support for 100% mail-in actually came from the county clerks (the majority of whom are GOP in Colorado). The county clerks actually run the ground operations of elections. And the clerks wanted 100% mail in because it is so much simpler, cheaper, easier for them (in addition for the voters). More than 50% of voters had been voting mail in by choice for many years, so it really made no sense to maintain the physical polling places for shrinking numbers of voters.

Given all that, we had GOP and Dem secretaries of state implement the mail-in system and also related reforms to voter registration and voter rolls in an even handed sensible way without any partisan BS like photo ID, purges, etc. Result is that Colorado typically is in the top handful of states for voter turnout. And is #1 in percentage of eligible adults being registered to vote.

Nice to live in a purple state with functional democracy. Cory Gardner is actually a pretty reasonable guy for a GOP Senator -- too bad Trump has killed him. But Gardner will get replaced by John Hickenlooper -- a very reasonable, pro-business Dem. So all good.
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

ggait wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:56 pm
Elections are primary jurisdiction of the states, absent a federal law (like the Voting Rights Act) or a major constitutional issue (like if a state tried to outlaw voting by a suspect classification). So I don't think there's any basis for a challenge. Four other western states have it as well.

Second, universal mail in voting is hugely popular in Colorado among voters of both parties. The only folks opposed were the GOP state legislators because, well you know, Republican politicians fear too many people of the wrong age/color being able to easily vote.

The most important bipartisan support for 100% mail-in actually came from the county clerks (the majority of whom are GOP in Colorado). The county clerks actually run the ground operations of elections. And the clerks wanted 100% mail in because it is so much simpler, cheaper, easier for them (in addition for the voters). More than 50% of voters had been voting mail in by choice for many years, so it really made no sense to maintain the physical polling places for shrinking numbers of voters.

Given all that, we had GOP and Dem secretaries of state implement the mail-in system and also related reforms to voter registration and voter rolls in an even handed sensible way without any partisan BS like photo ID, purges, etc. Result is that Colorado typically is in the top handful of states for voter turnout. And is #1 in percentage of eligible adults being registered to vote.

Nice to live in a purple state with functional democracy. Cory Gardner is actually a pretty reasonable guy for a GOP Senator -- too bad Trump has killed him. But Gardner will get replaced by John Hickenlooper -- a very reasonable, pro-business Dem. So all good.
you noted colorado's laws, turnout, safeguards and protocols a while back, probably provided a link and i read through it.
it's the way it can and should be done for any mail in procedure, even if not 100%.
not a small thing, colorado had been going down that path and probably tweaking it since 2013? 2015? collaboratively.
putting a last minute push on many other states without that background to make something similar or a facsimile happen for 2020, with likely loopholes, pitfalls, or partisan hijinks in play because of the rush... on its face sounds like a bad idea.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

wgdsr wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:56 pm

you noted colorado's laws, turnout, safeguards and protocols a while back, probably provided a link and i read through it.
it's the way it can and should be done for any mail in procedure, even if not 100%.
not a small thing, colorado had been going down that path and probably tweaking it since 2013? 2015? collaboratively.
putting a last minute push on many other states without that background to make something similar or a facsimile happen for 2020, with likely loopholes, pitfalls, or partisan hijinks in play because of the rush... on its face sounds like a bad idea.
Is there really an option to adopting the best practices of those who have been at it for several cycles?
Can we not up the personnel necessary?

Now, if we wait until September...but haven't we been yelling about this since April??

BTW, primary voting here in MD last month was quite breeze. Got the ballots in the mail, but plenty available if somehow you didn't get one. Literally drove through and handed the ballot to a fellow in a mask and gloves, waved and said good bye. Easy peasy. Had to go a little further to get to that drop off station than normal district voting place, but it demonstrated how simple the process really can be.

And I have no doubt that I had I tried to vote more than once, I'd have been caught, as it's not like they don't know who I am on the voter rolls!
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:01 pm

Is there really an option to adopting the best practices of those who have been at it for several cycles?

Now, if we wait until September...but haven't we been yelling about this since April??

BTW, primary voting here in MD last month was quite breeze. Got the ballots in the mail, but plenty available if somehow you didn't get one. Literally drove through and handed the ballot to a fellow in a mask and gloves, waved and said good bye. Easy peasy. Had to go a little further to get to that drop off station than normal district voting place, but it demonstrated how simple the process really can be.

And I have no doubt that I had I tried to vote more than once, I'd have been caught, as it's not like they don't know who I am on the voter rolls!
"but plenty available if somehow you didn't get one."

Does that mean you can get as many ballots as you want? after all... if there are plenty of ballots available... ;)
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Meet the Supporters Trump Has Lost

John Chavez, 45, a manager at a car dealership in Queen Creek, Ariz., voted for both George W. Bush and Barack Obama. His 2016 vote was not so much for Mr. Trump, he said, as against Mrs. Clinton — he was “spooked” by things he’d heard about her potential involvement in scandals.
“I thought, obviously he’s going to step it up and he’s going to have to change, he’s going to have to become more presidential,” he said. “But little did I know, he’s not. He got worse.”

There was one moment, he said, when “he lost me forever”: when Mr. Trump did not wear a mask during his recent rally in Tulsa, Okla. He said that the president should not have made masks into a political symbol, and that if the public should wear masks, so should he. Mr. Chavez will vote for Mr. Biden, mostly as a vote against Mr. Trump.

Though many voters similarly described Mr. Biden as the least objectionable choice, some were more enthusiastic.

Craig Smith, 64, a veteran in Big Rapids, Mich., said he planned to vote for Mr. Biden because “he’s got integrity, he tells the truth, he’s got compassion and empathy.” “Donald Trump represents the past,” he said, “and I believe that the Democrats and Joe Biden and the young people of the world are looking at the future.

“I will never vote for another Republican in my life because of Donald Trump,” Mr. Smith added. “What changed? Well, three years.”
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

jhu72 wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:52 pm Meet the Supporters Trump Has Lost

John Chavez, 45, a manager at a car dealership in Queen Creek, Ariz., voted for both George W. Bush and Barack Obama. His 2016 vote was not so much for Mr. Trump, he said, as against Mrs. Clinton — he was “spooked” by things he’d heard about her potential involvement in scandals.
“I thought, obviously he’s going to step it up and he’s going to have to change, he’s going to have to become more presidential,” he said. “But little did I know, he’s not. He got worse.”

There was one moment, he said, when “he lost me forever”: when Mr. Trump did not wear a mask during his recent rally in Tulsa, Okla. He said that the president should not have made masks into a political symbol, and that if the public should wear masks, so should he. Mr. Chavez will vote for Mr. Biden, mostly as a vote against Mr. Trump.

Though many voters similarly described Mr. Biden as the least objectionable choice, some were more enthusiastic.

Craig Smith, 64, a veteran in Big Rapids, Mich., said he planned to vote for Mr. Biden because “he’s got integrity, he tells the truth, he’s got compassion and empathy.” “Donald Trump represents the past,” he said, “and I believe that the Democrats and Joe Biden and the young people of the world are looking at the future.

“I will never vote for another Republican in my life because of Donald Trump,” Mr. Smith added. “What changed? Well, three years.”

I feel his pain. In 4 years of Biden we as a nation will probably be suffering from Biden fatigue. I wonder if anyone will have the giblets at that time to tell Joe? I wonder if Joe will even understand the meaning of the word fatigue. Joe is gonna love living in the command bunker in the White House basement. His custom facemask embroidered with POTUS on it will be really cool. As Joe would put it... it will be a big f***ing deal. :D
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
ggait

Post by ggait »

I've never been a single issue voter or a straight party line voter in my life. But Trump has made me one. Trump is the unforgive-able sin for me.

I don't know for how long. But I now simply will not vote for any Republican for any office. Nothing else enters my calculus.

Cory Gardner is the kind of non-crazy Republican that I would typically want to incent with a vote. Sorry Cory -- ain't gonna happen.

FYI -- I voted for Romney in 2012. Trump will do that to you.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

how is it that nowadays we're putting up for president septuagenarians? clinton and obama were in their 40s, bush jr in his 50's. at least 2 of those guys looked like they aged 15 - 20 years and the 3rd probably not far behind.

that job has to be a killer. are peeps that old and not near awesome health our best options? how sharp do we really expect them to be? same with our current heads of congress.

pretty ageist of me, but the 24/7 of the job is no joke.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

ggait wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:20 pm
I've never been a single issue voter or a straight party line voter in my life. But Trump has made me one. Trump is the unforgive-able sin for me.

I don't know for how long. But I now simply will not vote for any Republican for any office. Nothing else enters my calculus.

Cory Gardner is the kind of non-crazy Republican that I would typically want to incent with a vote. Sorry Cory -- ain't gonna happen.

Hope no one shows ggait his new squad!

Democratic men in tutus screaming at cops telling the cops he's better than them because they're blue collar:

https://twitter.com/stillgray/status/12 ... 19234?s=20

Democratic assassins murdering two underage black males:

https://twitter.com/MrAndyNgo/status/12 ... 38277?s=20

and Democratic hooligans tearing down statues of George Washington

https://twitter.com/codenametimna/statu ... 18912?s=20

Wonder why ggait isn't bothered by his new Democratic pals....maybe because he's a straight party line voter as opposed to his written virtue signal here?
ggait

Post by ggait »

Any squad is better than the Peter Brown squad.

Proof below.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

wgdsr wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:30 pm how is it that nowadays we're putting up for president septuagenarians? clinton and obama were in their 40s, bush jr in his 50's. at least 2 of those guys looked like they aged 15 - 20 years and the 3rd probably not far behind.

that job has to be a killer. are peeps that old and not near awesome health our best options? how sharp do we really expect them to be? same with our current heads of congress.

I don't think it's ageist at all. The job, when taken seriously, is astonishingly hard and unrelenting. The governance of this country always seemed to me to be a terrifying challenge, but now, in the midst of crises and culture wars and an administration that banks on division for reelection, it'll be harder still. So it seems to me that much will fall, whatever their age but especially for a 70 something, to getting really quality people into the roles and delegating wisely and carefully, knowing the responsibility is in the Oval only.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Peter Brown wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:31 pm
ggait wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:20 pm

Democratic men in tutus screaming at cops telling the cops he's better than them because they're blue collar:

Wonder why ggait isn't bothered by his new Democratic pals....maybe because he's a straight party line voter as opposed to his written virtue signal here?
Really stupid post. Nothing informative or funny. Just dead troll dung under the Internet Bridge.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:01 pmIn 4 years of Biden we as a nation will probably be suffering from Biden fatigue.
Nope. You're going to get 6 mos of Biden and then 3.5 years of Kamala Harris. :lol:

Only thing that can stop that now is Trump dropping out in favor of Pence. Or Trump dying. You make the call.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Peter Brown wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:31 pm Democratic men in tutus screaming at cops telling the cops he's better than them because they're blue collar:

yawn-your-stories.jpg
yawn-your-stories.jpg (52.43 KiB) Viewed 1216 times
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:47 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:01 pm

"but plenty available if somehow you didn't get one."

Does that mean you can get as many ballots as you want? after all... if there are plenty of ballots available... ;)
That's my impression (could be wrong), but don't try using more than one!
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

wgdsr wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:30 pm how is it that nowadays we're putting up for president septuagenarians? clinton and obama were in their 40s, bush jr in his 50's. at least 2 of those guys looked like they aged 15 - 20 years and the 3rd probably not far behind.

Like other stands against the tide I chalk it up to the last stand of the boomers trying to hang onto power. Next level is Gen X which is a bit different, doesn't hang onto the great 60's, hippy movement, vietnam, Richard Nixon and energy crises as their defining lives. It's the teens in the 80s up next. Used to think the whole 60's adoration was cool/cute, now it seems wildly overrated to me as those ideologues turned into the ones that were prime 30 -45yr old earners and consumers in the 1980s. But they still want to control the vision for the country in such a charming manner...
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:26 pm

Like other stands against the tide I chalk it up to the last stand of the boomers trying to hang onto power. Next level is Gen X which is a bit different, doesn't hang onto the great 60's, hippy movement, vietnam, Richard Nixon and energy crises as their defining lives. It's the teens in the 80s up next. Used to think the whole 60's adoration was cool/cute, now it seems wildly overrated to me as those ideologues turned into the ones that were prime 30 -45yr old earners and consumers in the 1980s. But they still want to control the vision for the country in such a charming manner...
putting my money on MDLAXfan sending you a PM, with your blockage problem Stay always write, so much more
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"

Return to “POLITICS”