All things Chinese CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 69

DocBarrister

Anti-Asian Attacks Include Physical Assaults

Post by DocBarrister »

It’s not just “insults” against Asian Americans, but also physical assaults.

https://www.voanews.com/usa/race-americ ... -incidents

The casual indifference to anti-Asian American racism and bigotry on this forum is a further embarrassment to this forum and the broader lacrosse community.

DocBarrister :?
@DocBarrister
wgdsr

Re: All things Chinese CoronaVirus

Post by wgdsr »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:34 pm
wgdsr wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:23 pm
kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:56 am
wgdsr wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:40 am ocean city is not allowing symptomatic out of state residents to be tested.

it's been beach week for a month for untold numbers of hs and college kids, not to mention summer season, up and down the coasts. and not just in fla.

these transient areas all have their own playbook, but i wouldn't be surprised if the majority of them are running policy of "don't boost my state's numbers". pretty sure that's not the optimal one for controlling the spread.
Interesting. Delaware - Rehobeth Beach, just 20 minutes N. of OC is testing anyone and everyone that comes in.

Hogan has been doing a good job relative to Corona throughout, but his policy with OC has been very friendly, and even surprising since phase 1, as far as allowing them to open back up. Most were surprised he opened the boardwalk as soon as he did.
Cooking the books to keep those tourist dollars flowing?
only 284 cases so far in worcester county so they're doing great!
most vacationers there are marylanders, but certainly not all. to the question re: public internet links... this is anecdotal info separately from 3 families i know.
2 own property there. they may have made more calls, or gone to delaware, etc. the mere fact that it happened at all, anywhere, is maybe a microcosm for where we are.
ok, just sounded weird to actually be a policy.
good news! you can be directed to the 1? site that should allow you the test, and the results will be shipped to your home state.

keep the vacationers coming and the numbers down.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

the casual indifference to racism and bigotry has been an embarassment for the country for quite a long time.
the indignation of some is, too.

we're going to go kicking and screaming together until we figure out the best ways to root it out. i have hope for a generation or 2 from now.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Remdesivir has been given a price tag of $3,120 by the manufacturer.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

jhu72 wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:00 pm Remdesivir has been given a price tag of $3,120 by the manufacturer.
i guess 3120 up to 5700 supposedly.
3 to 5x initial estimates. thought they said at one point they weren't going to charge/make profit?

still looking forward to the clinical trial they did (and others) that cut hospital stays by a few days. going on 2 months + in a couple days.
jhu72

Re: The Xenophobic Title of This Thread is an Embarrassment

Post by jhu72 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:57 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:52 pm A poignant event 38 years ago:

On June 23, 1982, a Chinese-American engineer named Vincent Chin died in a Detroit hospital. Four nights earlier, Chin, 27, had been celebrating his bachelor party at a topless bar when two white autoworkers mistook him for being Japanese and accused him of stealing their jobs.

“It’s because of you motherf------ that we’re out of work,” they reportedly told him before bludgeoning his skull with a baseball bat. His last words, according to witnesses, were: “It’s not fair.”

Chin’s death galvanized the Asian diaspora on a scale not seen before or since. The lenient punishment his assailants received after pleading guilty to manslaughter — probation and a $3,000 fine, with no prison time — sparked protests across the country and united people from different ethnic groups. A generation of Asian Americans devoted their lives to public service, forming a host of new coalitions and civil rights organizations.

This year, Chin’s death has taken on renewed urgency as Asian American Pacific Islanders are again being scapegoated for an international crisis they have no control over: the coronavirus pandemic. Hate crimes have spiked while business at Asian restaurants has plummeted. And anti-Asian rhetoric has been endorsed at the highest level: At a Saturday rally in Tulsa, Oklahoma, President Donald Trump referred to the coronavirus as the “Kung Flu.”

“We’re in another pandemic of hate,” said Renee Tajima-Peña, director of the Oscar-nominated documentary “Who Killed Vincent Chin?” and producer of the recent PBS film series “Asian Americans.” “It’s a wake-up call we’re seen as the 'other,' that 'model minority' is a wedge that helps to perpetuate systemic racism.”

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/asian-amer ... 0-n1231888

After the September 11th terrorist attack, a good friend of mine had to move from Omaha, NE to northern NJ.... he was not safe and feared for his life. He was Sikh from
Bombay but these hayseeds thought he was middle eastern.
... a few days after 911 when planes were allowed to fly again I boarded a plane In Houston to fly to Baltimore. A Sikh boarded the plane and all hell broke loose, ceremonial scabbard (no blade) and all. Some morons were all exercised thinking he was Muslim, insulting him and proving conclusively they were f*ing idiots.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

wgdsr wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:12 pm
jhu72 wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:00 pm Remdesivir has been given a price tag of $3,120 by the manufacturer.
3 to 5x initial estimates. thought they said at one point they weren't going to charge/make profit?

still looking forward to the clinical trial they did (and others) that cut hospital stays by a few days. going on 2 months + in a couple days.
Never let a crisis go t waste.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Typical Lax Dad

Re: The Xenophobic Title of This Thread is an Embarrassment

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

jhu72 wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:27 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:57 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:52 pm A poignant event 38 years ago:

On June 23, 1982, a Chinese-American engineer named Vincent Chin died in a Detroit hospital. Four nights earlier, Chin, 27, had been celebrating his bachelor party at a topless bar when two white autoworkers mistook him for being Japanese and accused him of stealing their jobs.

“It’s because of you motherf------ that we’re out of work,” they reportedly told him before bludgeoning his skull with a baseball bat. His last words, according to witnesses, were: “It’s not fair.”

Chin’s death galvanized the Asian diaspora on a scale not seen before or since. The lenient punishment his assailants received after pleading guilty to manslaughter — probation and a $3,000 fine, with no prison time — sparked protests across the country and united people from different ethnic groups. A generation of Asian Americans devoted their lives to public service, forming a host of new coalitions and civil rights organizations.

This year, Chin’s death has taken on renewed urgency as Asian American Pacific Islanders are again being scapegoated for an international crisis they have no control over: the coronavirus pandemic. Hate crimes have spiked while business at Asian restaurants has plummeted. And anti-Asian rhetoric has been endorsed at the highest level: At a Saturday rally in Tulsa, Oklahoma, President Donald Trump referred to the coronavirus as the “Kung Flu.”

“We’re in another pandemic of hate,” said Renee Tajima-Peña, director of the Oscar-nominated documentary “Who Killed Vincent Chin?” and producer of the recent PBS film series “Asian Americans.” “It’s a wake-up call we’re seen as the 'other,' that 'model minority' is a wedge that helps to perpetuate systemic racism.”

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/asian-amer ... 0-n1231888

After the September 11th terrorist attack, a good friend of mine had to move from Omaha, NE to northern NJ.... he was not safe and feared for his life. He was Sikh from
Bombay but these hayseeds thought he was middle eastern.
... a few days after 911 when planes were allowed to fly again I boarded a plane In Houston to fly to Baltimore. A Sikh boarded the plane and all hell broke loose, ceremonial scabbard (no blade) and all. Some morons were all exercised thinking he was Muslim, insulting him and proving conclusively they were f*ing idiots.
Yep....I had quite a few Indian friends in grad school and actually for my Sikh friend and another buddy jobs working with me in a dormitory kitchen. We worked dinner shift and I washed pots. We got three free meals a day and I also got a check for washing pots. My Buddy, Gurpreet didn’t even know how to use a mop. He was like Eddie Murphy in coming to America. I had to teach him. My other Sandeep was even worse. He said if his parents saw him busing tables they would have disowned him!! The best part of grad school was the international students. I am still friends with a good chunk of them. I saw one of my Persian friends and four French friends last fall. We had a blast. My wife saw one of our South African friends a few years ago in Johannesburg and we hope to visit a friend doing very well in Nairobi.
“I wish you would!”
a fan

Post by a fan »

:lol: :lol: Socialize the risk, privatize the profits.

6ft and others, please tell me again why you think this isn't the dumbest thing our nation does? Give this stupid publicly traded company $70Million+ for R&D...and when it pays off? We don't take an equity stake for the investment.

Who the F "invests" like this? How Fing stupid are we as a nation? We have to wear swim trunks to deal with all the nonstop drool coming out of our collective mouths...that's how stupid Americans are.

Unfreakingbelieveable.

Gilead is pricing its COVID drug remdesivir at $3,120 for patients w/ insurance.

That's *10 times higher* than the suggested benchmark price.

US taxpayers have paid *at least* $70 million to develop this drug.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/gilead-cor ... ance-cost/
ChairmanOfTheBoard

Post by ChairmanOfTheBoard »

wgdsr wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:12 pm

shkreli-esque, no?

what a d-bag. :)
There are 29,413,039 corporations in America; but only one Chairman of the Board.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

CA66C26E-4CF5-43D1-9970-9CBC9CC5B345.png
CA66C26E-4CF5-43D1-9970-9CBC9CC5B345.png (225.8 KiB) Viewed 1132 times
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

i might start hating the word hindsight soon:
https://www.bbc.com/news/health-53218704
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:35 pm i might start hating the word hindsight soon:
https://www.bbc.com/news/health-53218704
And don’t blame China!!

“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

Peter Brown wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:29 pm CA66C26E-4CF5-43D1-9970-9CBC9CC5B345.png
https://twitter.com/dickiev/status/1277 ... 29568?s=21
“I wish you would!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:00 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:29 pm CA66C26E-4CF5-43D1-9970-9CBC9CC5B345.png
should we assume he knows how to wear a mask and he pulled it down to make a psa?

should he be out there? isn't he at least 80?
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:24 pm
should we assume he knows how to wear a mask and he pulled it down to make a psa?

His mouth is so big, the mask won’t cover it. He spoke at 5 ⭐️ when I was there. He was very good. Before his schtick took over. He had good teams at the University of Detroit. He had some pros on one of his teams. Jalen Rose’s father played for him I believe.
“I wish you would!”
DocBarrister

Re: All things Racism

Post by DocBarrister »

wgdsr wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:28 pm the casual indifference to racism and bigotry has been an embarassment for the country for quite a long time.

we're going to go kicking and screaming together until we figure out the best ways to root it out. i have hope for a generation or 2 from now.
The Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. expressed the same hope over half-a-century ago.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/mlks-conte ... es-debate/

We have traveled far, but as this forum and the world around us have shown ... we have a long way to go

@DocBarrister
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:49 pm
wgdsr wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:24 pm

His mouth is so big, the mask won’t cover it. He spoke at 5 ⭐️ when I was there. He was very good. Before his schtick took over. He had good teams at the University of Detroit. He had some pros on one of his teams. Jalen Rose’s father played for him I believe.

I love dickie v but he’s no smarter than a cinder block. Stay in your lane, dickie v, don’t be a Democratic Nancy.
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

DocBarrister wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:17 am
wgdsr wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:28 pm the casual indifference to racism and bigotry has been an embarassment for the country for quite a long time.

The Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. expressed the same hope over half-a-century ago.

We have traveled far, but as this forum and the world around us have shown ... we have a long way to go

For someone who hates whites, conservatives and christians to lecture us on how far we have to go is beyond presumptive.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

6ftstick wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:44 am
DocBarrister wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:17 am

For someone who hates whites, conservatives and christians to lecture us on how far we have to go is beyond presumptive.
I've never had the feeling that Doc hates me.

And I'm definitely white, more conservative than not, and certainly by own beliefs am Christian.

Heck, I'm even a Republican and I never have had the feeling that Doc hates me.

Perhaps you mean that Doc has a low opinion of white supremacists, or those who claim that one must be a certain type of Christian to be welcome in heaven, and 'conservatives' who are entirely hypocritical in their condemnation of others' personal choices, yet excuse the worst amongst them.

Is that what you mean?

Return to “POLITICS”