All things Chinese CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 69

MDlaxfan76

Re: All things Chinese CoronaVirus

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

6ftstick wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:14 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:25 pm
CU77 wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:22 pm
a fan wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:01 pm 6foot, in what world is educating adolescents about the dangers of unprotected sex.....and/or without birth control, and then providing said teenagers with free birth control that they use.....enabling irresponsible behavior?
Have you not figured out the big secret, a fan?

Those crusading against abortion are actually crusading against any kind of sex outside of a one-man-one-woman marriage.

They want to control sex. They don't care one bit about first-trimester fetuses. That's just a cover.

Want proof?

If life begins at conception, where are all the funerals for miscarriages? Where are the headstones? Where are the tax deductions for pre-born children? Where are all the "Conception Day" parties?

Why did Catholic (and other Christian) theologians argue for centuries about "quickening" and "soul infusion", with basically none of them saying it happened at conception?

Ask any anti-abortion crusader if they would be happy if a vaccine were developed that blocked both pregnancy and all sexually-transmitted disease. Anyone who actually cares about the fetuses would be thrilled by this. No more unwanted pregnancies! But I promise you that every anti-abortion crusader recoils in horror at this prospect. Because it means sex will happen that they cannot control.

That's the real issue the crusaders care about. The fetuses are just misdirection.
That's true of the 6ft types, not so sure about the cradle types.
But he can confirm for himself or not whether he has an issue with premarital sex, contraception, etc.

6ft clearly didn't get any...
So this is about machismo for you. I've been laid so I'm a man?

In essence you want kids uneducated poor and banging baby mommas. An enlightened position from an educated fossil.

Insulting my manhood get you off a little.

For the record you and yours are responsible for 65 MILLION stopped hearts since roe v wade. I'm sure you're proud of yourself.
nope, use contraception...but you knuckleheads want to discourage that, no matter how many unwanted pregnancies.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Back to the thread topic. Very tough numbers in Florida and Texas — the early reopeners:

https://mobile.twitter.com/FrancesRoble ... 7161625600

https://mobile.twitter.com/zachdespart/ ... 9700524033
Bart

Post by Bart »

Peter Brown wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:58 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:47 pm
Bart wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:00 pm
Brooklyn wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:31 pm
Bart wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:47 am
Brooklyn wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:13 am
Peter Brown wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:48 am
Darwinism isn’t about caring or not caring like you posit. It’s caring enough to respect your choices and not pretending that life is fair.

Over the years scholars have drawn parallels between Darwinism and Hitlerianism. No surprise that right wing Republicans applaud both.
And that, imo,is idiotic.
Explain ...
Darwinism is the evolution of species due to small changes in inherited characteristics due to natural selection. Where minor changes in genotyes lead to small incremental changes in phenotye that lead to increased reproductive success.

This has nothing to do with the views Hitler and his ilk suscribed to. Their theories were on the lines of social Darwinism which was used to support thir master race bull sczhit.

Darwinism used in the original context of these posts was incorrect, imo.
Pretty sure that was what Brooklyn meant as well...the bastardization of "Darwinism" into some sort of embrace of Aryan racial superiority, 'survival of the fittest', etc...'social Darwinism' as scientifically based and thus justified.

Unfortunately, PB has no clue what he's even saying with "Darwinism isn’t about caring or not caring like you posit. It’s caring enough to respect your choices and not pretending that life is fair."
What I meant is I respect people enough to let them make their own choices, for better or worse. Many will choose unwisely...meth, masks, Dr. Pepper, fried okra, being a Democrat, etc. And if they croak early because of their bad choices, that's Darwinism; humanity gets smarter every day because of Darwinism. I'm good with anyone making bad choices; I'm also good with them making good choices. Who am I to tell anyone what to do?
This is not darwinism.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:34 am
6ftstick wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:14 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:25 pm
CU77 wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:22 pm
a fan wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:01 pm 6foot, in what world is educating adolescents about the dangers of unprotected sex.....and/or without birth control, and then providing said teenagers with free birth control that they use.....enabling irresponsible behavior?
Have you not figured out the big secret, a fan?

Those crusading against abortion are actually crusading against any kind of sex outside of a one-man-one-woman marriage.

They want to control sex. They don't care one bit about first-trimester fetuses. That's just a cover.

Want proof?

If life begins at conception, where are all the funerals for miscarriages? Where are the headstones? Where are the tax deductions for pre-born children? Where are all the "Conception Day" parties?

Why did Catholic (and other Christian) theologians argue for centuries about "quickening" and "soul infusion", with basically none of them saying it happened at conception?

Ask any anti-abortion crusader if they would be happy if a vaccine were developed that blocked both pregnancy and all sexually-transmitted disease. Anyone who actually cares about the fetuses would be thrilled by this. No more unwanted pregnancies! But I promise you that every anti-abortion crusader recoils in horror at this prospect. Because it means sex will happen that they cannot control.

That's the real issue the crusaders care about. The fetuses are just misdirection.
That's true of the 6ft types, not so sure about the cradle types.
But he can confirm for himself or not whether he has an issue with premarital sex, contraception, etc.

6ft clearly didn't get any...
So this is about machismo for you. I've been laid so I'm a man?

In essence you want kids uneducated poor and banging baby mommas. An enlightened position from an educated fossil.

Insulting my manhood get you off a little.

For the record you and yours are responsible for 65 MILLION stopped hearts since roe v wade. I'm sure you're proud of yourself.
nope, use contraception...but you knuckleheads want to discourage that, no matter how many unwanted pregnancies.
As someone married who had a miscarriage in 2017 after having two healthy children though it happened early, one ultrasound the beat was slow, like 88 or something,next week not moving, but while I was leaning towards keeping it we were very serious about having an abortion as I had quit my job and roped into a small fund at a small base nyt, I dare you 6ft, or anyone else to say anything to my face about the notion of having an abortion. But you and your kind wouldn’t. Only hide behind these anonymous handles to talk trash.

The pure position for all scumbags who only want to talk pre marital is that sex itself is only to be had for the specific purpose of procreation and nothing else so you guys who target pre marital or inner city (which is code language no doubt for a specific cohort) are still not correct in even your own position.

And if people aren’t having sex they’re having war. I’ll take sex.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Bart wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:53 am
Darwinism isn’t about caring or not caring like you posit. It’s caring enough to respect your choices and not pretending that life is fair.

Over the years scholars have drawn parallels between Darwinism and Hitlerianism. No surprise that right wing Republicans applaud both.
Explain ...
Darwinism is the evolution of species due to small changes in inherited characteristics due to natural selection. Where minor changes in genotyes lead to small incremental changes in phenotye that lead to increased reproductive success.

This has nothing to do with the views Hitler and his ilk suscribed to. Their theories were on the lines of social Darwinism which was used to support thir master race bull sczhit.

Pretty sure that was what Brooklyn meant as well...the bastardization of "Darwinism" into some sort of embrace of Aryan racial superiority, 'survival of the fittest', etc...'social Darwinism' as scientifically based and thus justified.

Unfortunately, PB has no clue what he's even saying with "Darwinism isn’t about caring or not caring like you posit. It’s caring enough to respect your choices and not pretending that life is fair."
What I meant is I respect people enough to let them make their own choices, for better or worse. Many will choose unwisely...meth, masks, Dr. Pepper, fried okra, being a Democrat, etc. And if they croak early because of their bad choices, that's Darwinism; humanity gets smarter every day because of Darwinism. I'm good with anyone making bad choices; I'm also good with them making good choices. Who am I to tell anyone what to do?
This is not darwinism.
To be fair, PB is merely confused: https://darwinawards.com
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Bart wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:53 am

Explain ...

This is not darwinism.

It sorta is. The strong get stronger, the weak fall out.

Hit that lithium juice with your next meth high, and you aren't gonna live much longer. And that's their choice, which I respect.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

So MD is doing good, so far, but is pushing it's #MasksOnMaryland program:

https://wtop.com/coronavirus/2020/06/as ... k-wearing/
“We’ve made great progress, but we need to remember we’re not out of the woods yet,” said Health Secretary Robert R. Neall in the department’s own statement. “All Marylanders must continue to exercise responsibility for themselves and each other by doing everything we can to slow the spread of COVID-19.”

The percentage of positive tests in Maryland reached a one-day low of 4.38%, while the rolling seven-day average is at 5.05%, Hogan said in his statement.

Currently, 511 Marylanders are in hospitals, the fewest in 83 days, he added.

...He pointed out that on Wednesday, the daily number of positive COVID-19 tests in the U.S. hit an all-time high.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Weird, Florida hospital beds at normal capacity of 25% free:

Florida.jpg
Florida.jpg (107.61 KiB) Viewed 1032 times
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Weirder still, deaths trending down:

Florida2.jpg
Florida2.jpg (76.86 KiB) Viewed 1030 times
CU88

Post by CU88 »

MAGA

Showing the world how to do things, as they now know to do the opposite of what America does...

The lessons Canada can take from the U.S.'s mishandling of COVID-19
https://www.cbc.ca/news/us-covid-19-sur ... -1.5628979
by cradleandshoot » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:57 am
Mr moderator, deactivate my account.
You have heck this forum up to making it nothing more than a joke. I hope you are happy.
This is cradle and shoot signing out.
:roll: :roll: :roll:
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Thankfully, it's improving and not appearing quite as deadly as originally thought.

https://nypost.com/2020/06/25/getting-r ... eath-rate/

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-53192532
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:00 am Thankfully, it's improving and not appearing quite as deadly as originally thought.

Nearly all the studies find between 10 and 100 times the number of total infections as reported infections, with the average somewhere around 20 to 25 times.

In other words, while the CDC reports 2.34 million Americans have been infected with the coronavirus, the actual number of infected and recovered people may be closer to 50 million. (CDC Director Robert Redfield told journalists Thursday that the number of cases may be 10 times higher than the earlier 2.34 million.)

Thus, the death rate, which would be 5.2 percent based on that 2.34 million figure, is actually more like one-20th as high — or 0.26 percent.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:00 am Thankfully, it's improving and not appearing quite as deadly as originally thought.

The author appears to have a bit of an overly optimistic estimate and comparison, though his point that fatality rate is indeed better than some of the most dire early estimates is true.

But comparison with the Hong Kong flu is specious, as that pandemic killed 100K Americans (CDC) with the health capabilities of 50 years ago, whereas this one has already killed 130k and we may be still early in this battle. And that's with a massive shutdown to slow the spread, which we did not have in '68! The 68 flu killed 1 million worldwide according to the CDC whereas we know of at least 500k killed so far with this one and its exploding in many lesser developed countries. Like this one, the HK flu disproportionately killed older folks.

So, as the author allows, this bug may be a couple or more times worse than his optimistic estimate of .26% (which is 2.5 times worse than the annual flu).

However, is it 10X or 20x worse? Time will tell.
One thing that is worrisome is that there doesn't appear to be much of a seasonal effect with this one, and we don't know yet whether those infected will be immune from re-infection at some point.

But the data do appear to be suggesting that the death rate is declining among those detected, whether that's because we're testing and finding more asymptomatic, or more of the new cases are younger, or the improvements in treatments, it's all good...but the notion that this isn't quite deadly to the elderly and also the 1/3 of Americans who are obese (2/3 overweight or obese) and/or with diabetes, heart disease or other co-morbidities...is just not correct.

Wear a mask. Slow it down. Give the docs and scientists more time...
CU88

Post by CU88 »

Former NIH Director Calls Trump Administration's Pandemic Response 'Amateur Hour'

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-sho ... ateur-hour
You have heck this forum up to making it nothing more than a joke. I hope you are happy.
CU88

Post by CU88 »

Vibe.jpg
Vibe.jpg (90.94 KiB) Viewed 989 times
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Peter Brown wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:09 am

Nearly all the studies find between 10 and 100 times the number of total infections as reported infections, with the average somewhere around 20 to 25 times.

In other words, while the CDC reports 2.34 million Americans have been infected with the coronavirus, the actual number of infected and recovered people may be closer to 50 million. (CDC Director Robert Redfield told journalists Thursday that the number of cases may be 10 times higher than the earlier 2.34 million.)

Thus, the death rate, which would be 5.2 percent based on that 2.34 million figure, is actually more like one-20th as high — or 0.26 percent.
Back to middle school again, Redfield's assumption 10X number of infections would result in .52% rather than the 5.2% on identified cases.

The author chose to use the 20X assumption instead of the CDC's, which in the US simply doesn't appear to be borne out by any of the data.

And of course, deaths trail infections by about 2-6 weeks.
Hopefully we're doing way better on protecting the most vulnerable folks, but we're still seeing way too many 60, 70, 80 year olds who don't seem to understand the risks, scoff at wearing masks...
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

CU88 wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:27 am Former NIH Director Calls Trump Administration's Pandemic Response 'Amateur Hour'

Guy knows what he's talking about.
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

CU88 wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:27 am Former NIH Director Calls Trump Administration's Pandemic Response 'Amateur Hour'

Yep an expert alright.

What happened to bird flu? How a major threat to human health faded from view—FEBRUARY 13, 2019

Just over a dozen years ago, a bird flu virus known as H5N1 was charting a destructive course through Asia, North Africa, and the Middle East, ravaging poultry in apocalyptic numbers and killing 6 in 10 humans known to have contracted it.

The overall human death toll was low — in the hundreds — but scientists and government officials feared that the virus could ignite a human pandemic reminiscent of the catastrophic 1918 Spanish flu. Emergency plans were drafted, experimental H5N1 vaccines were created and tested, antiviral drugs were stockpiled.

And then … nothing happened.

The virus continued to kill chickens and to occasionally infect and sometimes kill people. But as the years passed, the number of human H5N1 cases subsided. There has not been a single H5N1 human infection detected since February 2017.

This is the good news. The bad news is that the situation could change in an instant.

“We don’t know how the story’s going to end,” warned Nancy Cox, who retired from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in late 2014 after leading its influenza operations for more than two decades.

Scientists do know the H5N1 viruses have mutated in ways that may be important to their ability to interact with people. Several years ago, these viruses effectively splintered, with some dumping their N1 neuraminidase — a gene that produces a key protein found on the surface of flu viruses — and replacing it with another. The process is called reassortment, and, in this case, it resulted in the emergence of a lot of new pairings over a fairly short period of time.

“The H5N1 virus has not gone away. It’s just changed into different versions of itself,” explained influenza expert Malik Peiris, a professor of virology at the University of Hong Kong.

“We don’t know how the story’s going to end.” 15 years later.

But he knows how to handle Covid 19 eh.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Which do you prefer, 6ft, how we did against the bird flu or how we're doing against COVID?

Politics should have nothing to do with it.
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:37 am
Peter Brown wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:09 am

Back to middle school again, Redfield's assumption 10X number of infections would result in .52% rather than the 5.2% on identified cases.

The author chose to use the 20X assumption instead of the CDC's, which in the US simply doesn't appear to be borne out by any of the data.

And of course, deaths trail infections by about 2-6 weeks.
Hopefully we're doing way better on protecting the most vulnerable folks, but we're still seeing way too many 60, 70, 80 year olds who don't seem to understand the risks, scoff at wearing masks...
Because they're safe unless liberal progressive governors order infected people into their homes and living centers.

Return to “POLITICS”